Home General Discussion

Evil Within

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
A friend send me a link to these. Shinji Mikami under Bethesda developing this title. I think it looks way disturbing and creepy. I mix of RE4 gameplay, meets silent hill and Condemned. Win win, and Mikami has proved to be a real good designer and story driven games. From the trailer it looks creepy... but there is no gameplay... the screens shows more of that.

For PC, 360,PS3 and next gen consoles i guess.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/04/19/the-evil-within-debut-trailer-1080p?utm_campaign=ign+main+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

p2qmGUz.jpgwCEJ4hC.jpg8BwBQOX.jpgn5kvps3.jpgEpzuUHa.jpg4mrjRro.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/MQ38Upr.jpgrTj2dq8.jpgwKfWP2P.jpgdoNKHci.jpgzyEaAjk.jpgWkeEM3n.jpg

Replies

• 3DFM
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Now this an a VR headset in the middle of the night, yea good times will be had!
    Nice.
  • Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Reminds me of Middlesbrough.
  • marks
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Mongrelman wrote: »
    This.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Well. That trailer was a little bit creepy.
  • tottot
    Offline / Send Message
    tottot polycounter lvl 10
    I'm all for more RE4!
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeh... it just looks disturbing and creepy... i wonder what kind of game this will be. I am all for a new game to be better than RE4. RE5 and 6 just didn't pull it off.
  • Kbrom12
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff, this will be a $60 well spent.
  • erroldynamic
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Looks amazing.
  • jfeez
    Offline / Send Message
    jfeez polycounter lvl 8
    Mongrelman wrote: »

Hahaha, living there atm, i can say this is the truth
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Shinji Mikami is one of the best directors and game creators of all time. He set the standard for survival horror, AND has set the standard for contemporary action games with Resident Evil 4. The dude directed Vanquish! One of the most fun games this generation! My excitement for this is through the roof. I can't wait to see what crazy shit he comes up... I hope it's a game changer.
  • CordellC
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    Trailer was one of the most generic horror trailers I think I've ever seen.

Premise sounds like it might be cool, but I'll wait for some gameplay footage.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    from RPS:
    I present a trailer that has no game footage, and therefore adds no real knowledge to your understanding The Evil Within. It might resemble bits of the game, but that means they made the game then spent more money on recreating it, rather than just showing it to you. What’s all that about?
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    love this type of game, but anyone else find that camera angle extremely awkward to play in ?

i bought RE6 and couldnt play it for more than 5 minutes because of that narrow FOV 3rd person camera angle.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Maybe I'm dense, but is there any actual gameplay footage or anything about the game?

So far I see alot of so called 'bull shots' which have beauty shots and some concept, and the video I have seen, is the one with real people in it.

Did I miss something? I'm seeing this game all over the place, from Kotaku to RPS, but it's weird that it's getting so much hype when there is no information about it, so did I miss some links or something?
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    It's getting hype because Shinji Mikami is returning to horror.
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought that trailer is a teaser for an actual trailer coming next week. Or at least that is what i thought. From the images i can see some gameplay elements. But i think it'll be great from the mood and creepyness from the trailer. Or maybe thats just me being optimistic for a new Shinji Mikami game.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Ohhhhhhhh.

I'm excited to see more.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Meh. Horror titles quickly lose their horror aspect when you're able to kill the monsters. This doesn't really seem like something I'd be interested in.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    It depends how they handle it. If you've got very limited ammo and are pretty vulnerable to damage it should be able to maintain the creepiness for a bit.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Sweet, sweet drama, unfolding about the game already for a single concept piece:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=543306
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    Ugh. Reading the comments....so angering. It's not even that big of a deal!
  • Snacuum
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    Bek wrote: »
    Meh. Horror titles quickly lose their horror aspect when you're able to kill the monsters. This doesn't really seem like something I'd be interested in.

Heh, by thinking that you're only setting yourself up for it to be true. I for one expect any horror game I play to be scary even with the ability to fight back. Just because Amnesia and the like are fantastic no-fighting horrors doesn't mean that's the only way to do it now.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Sweet, sweet drama, unfolding about the game already for a single concept piece:
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=543306

why do that!!! Never use art you don't own because one day you're going to goof up and not modify it enough - companies always get bit in the ass over that.
  • SuPa-
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    These images are apparently leaked and their source is not official, so I wouldn't take much mind of it. It probably wasn't even done by Bethesda.
  • Lord McMutton
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Would it be done by them? I mean, they're just the publisher.
  • SuPa-
    Offline / Send Message
    SuPa- polycounter lvl 11
    Oh I don't actually know anything about the game. I just looked up the images and read that they were leaked, so therefor assumed that they were unreliable to an extent.

*edit*
    K, it's on IGN now.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I get the feeling its an easter egg, a little stab at that awfully developed game. ;) It's kind of in plain sight, and completely unaltered. It's either deliberate or done by someone pretty damn stupid.
  • Snacuum
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    Am I the only one who thinks that that altered image didn't even need it? Giant safe-head man attacking you in a roaring foundry not intense enough?
  • glottis8
  • Ark
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    So anyone playing this? PC version was a pain to install on 4 discs, should have got the digital version. :P

Not that far in at the moment, just finished chapter 3, so far so good.

Apart from the PC version needing some work, it looks pretty nice for a IDTech 5 game, nice to see some shadows. :P

Atmosphere is really good too, combat is nice and meaty if that's how you wanna play it, but I've been sneaking around playing stealthily so far. Stealth fans getting a treat at the moment with this and the Alien game.
  • weee
    Offline / Send Message
    weee polycounter lvl 3
    hows the performance on PC, and would you elaborate a bit more on 'PC version needing some work"?
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Just tried to play the PC version. It's the worst PC version I've seen in quite a while. It crashed on me three times just before I got to load the first level for a start. It also has little to no graphical options. Standard controls have you operate the character with arrow keys, WTF? I barely managed to reach 25-30fps with Phenom x6 and GTX 570 on any settings. The game is also in horrible 21:9 aspect ratio that makes the screen looks very freaking small even on my big ass TV. You can force 16:9 ratio with a console command, but that will make FoV a lot smaller.

tldr: The game looks miles worse than Ryse:Son of Rome and runs worse. Shameful display. Also idTech 5 should've been abandoned after RAGE.

All in all, will play after a few dozen patches. But I doubt that it will happen, because the devs obviously don't care much.
  • keizza
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza polycounter lvl 18
    Playing this on ps4. It's really difficult after experiencing "the solid as a rock title" Alien Isolation. TEW is not the most pretty game and the frame rate seems to be an issue. I'll give it more time......but for horror fans......this year......you can't touch Alien Isolation.
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I canceled my PC pre-order when they announced the artificial 30 FPS cap since that is usually a red flag for a variety of other problems or lack of features. I've been playing it for PS3. It seems the PC version is plagued with issues judging by Steam reviews, but it seems like some people are experiencing absolutely no issues while others are barely able to play regardless of their hardware configurations.

The game itself is quite enjoyable in my opinion, the levels have a nice blend of moments where you feel defenseless, and moments where you feel like you can actually fight back. The monster design is absolutely incredible as well and I definitely need to pick up the art book at some point.

My only main complaint is that the AI can do some pretty stupid things sometimes, but it's not really a huge deal in my opinion.

I'm interested in seeing what kind of a comeback the horror genre makes. Since achieving "realistic" graphics is becoming a more plausible goal for developers, I would think that it could lead to an increase in profitability for horror games since more people might be interested in the genre. Silent Hill 2 and Cry of Fear will still be the best two horror games in my book, though.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Picked it up on PS4. For me the game is kinda.... 'Meh.' I was really hoping for a re-visit to the RE 1 and 2 roots but it feels more action-ey than survival horror. Loads of frame rate drops as well as texture popping all over the place. Graphics in general would have been more suited to last-gen - animation wise it's adequate, but if you play Shadow of Mordor beforehand you'll feel it pales in comparison. Doesn't really feel like Shinji's best work by a long shot, definitely not worth the £50 price tag! :O

If I had to sum it up in one line, I'd say better than RE 5 and 6, worse than RE 4.
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I also cancelled my pre-order, this is NOT a good game for me (and i had great expectations knowing the team behind it). Glad i did it on time... pheww

My friends said me the game is just a "stealth" game. They are very disappointed.

And reading reviews, more of the same, another failure.
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Yet again, I wonder, who are you people who keep buying PC games immediately after their initial release?
    Have you not the patience or the common sense to wait out a few patches?
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun wrote: »
    Yet again, I wonder, who are you people who keep buying PC games immediately after their initial release?
    Because sometimes you want to believe in people. I guess it's not a thing now.
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys should give the game a chance. I am loving it. Middle of chapter 3 and the tension, the art and the presentation all blend really well. The game has this high contrast that is only enhanced by the ambiance effects. It can look really stunning. The enemy design is really something else as well, and if you shoot them, all the pieces that fly off and the deformation of them is amazing. Really cool stuff.

The game design is fun. So far i don't feel its just a sneaking game. If i get discovered i feel like i have lots of options on how to tackle an encounter.

For example. Got to a point where there are tons of enemies everywhere, and there are like 4 different houses all with set up traps. I release this chainsaw guy that calls a horde on to me. There are tons of enemies, and i go to a second level of a barn, then jump down to another house, and run... only to find myself surrounded... i double back, take the stairs down and sneak past a couple of bombs... enemies crowd by the bomb and i shoot it and i must've killed like 6 of them. The chainsaw guy sneaks behind me while i was doing what i was doing and i managed to plant a shotgun shot that knocked him down. Holy cow was i freaking out. I see more clutter by the remains of the previous guys... i throw a granade and run away out of the house. See this stack of hay.. i push it to narrow down the barn entrance, and when the rest of the enemies are coming i set it on fire. Enemies that try to cross that touch it are set on fire. Go and try to sneak on the chainsaw guy.. shoot him a bunch of times, run out of ammo, gives to the chase, i try to jump out the window and the bastard caught me haha. Got chopped in half. Most intense encounter so early in the game. It was amazing. I always felt like i had options.

The game presentation is a little hectic, but i like that. It really reminds me a lot of Silent Hill with a mix of RE4. But i like it better so far. Some bits are scary, some bits are really tense. All the comments i read say the game just gets better and better and better. Can't wait to keep playing it.

On PS4, really have not noticed a dip on framerate, i have died only that once, but loading times take like maybe 5-10 seconds? but i have the sdd drive. I think i saw reports of loadings being between 10 and 15. But once the game loads, i think it runs and changes locations really smoothly.

I dunno... if you like RE4, and SH, then give it a shot. I think you'll be surprised.

Last thought.. i came into this game really hyped, with minimal knowledge of what to expect. Mostly media blackout. I am very happy i got this. :)
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator

Exactly, how dare these people who pay full price for a game expect it to be playable with few issues at release? I mean, talk about self entitled!
  • Ark
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    weee wrote: »
    hows the performance on PC, and would you elaborate a bit more on 'PC version needing some work"?

Like mentioned above, the performance isn't all that great, especially how the game looks, doesn't justify its requirements.

The engine doesn't really feel stable, had a crash the first time I tried to start a new game, but since then that's the only crash I've had. Nothing new here this engine has never worked too well.

Game is locked to 30fps, you need to use console commands to unlock it to 60fps. You can completely unlock it, but since the performance isn't all that great there's no point really.
    Apparently anything over 60fps isn't supported, but they plan to support 60fps better later. 60fps still isn't officially supported since it requires console commands.

The other problem is the forced aspect ratio more akin to cinemas. Again can be unlocked through a console command but it changes the FOV and makes it pretty unplayable to me. I've had to run it somewhere in between.

On the plus side the game does have the atmosphere nailed and it feels nice and creepy.
    The combat like stated above is meaty and gorey. The stealth is pretty decent and probably the best way you should play this game rather than turning it into a third person shooter.

The controls are ok, usual WASD by default and other keys spaced decently around it.

It's not RE 4, but it does a pretty decent job of not being a generic thrid person shooter, if you play it more smartly and conserve ammo and use stealth more.

Shall update more when I've played a little more.
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Torch wrote: »
    Exactly, how dare these people who pay full price for a game expect it to be playable with few issues at release? I mean, talk about self entitled!

There's the difference between being right and smart
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    There's the difference between being right and smart
    Not everyone is well informed in pc gaming. Devs deserve all the shame they get for selling broken games.
  • juniez
    Offline / Send Message
    juniez polycounter lvl 10
    the lesson to be learned is that they should have bought the console copy
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    juniez wrote: »
    the lesson to be learned is that they should have bought the console copy

Not everybody has a console.

Digital Foundry quote on console versions:
    Neither version manages to run consistently and the narrow field of view combined with jittery camera motion only serve to exacerbate the issue.

Unfortunately nearly every major sequence, particularly outdoors, is fraught with dips that interrupt the action, resulting in a jarring, jerky experience. Scenes not unlike Resident Evil 4's seminal village sequence see dips into the low 20s.

What's worse, on Xbox One, it almost feels as if the renderer is out of sync with the game simulation.

Yeah, sounds like a better choice:thumbup:
  • juniez
    Offline / Send Message
    juniez polycounter lvl 10
    Not everybody has a console.

Digital Foundry quote on console versions:

Yeah, sounds like a better choice:thumbup:

so the real complaint is that you get a better product than the console originals but it's not quite as better as you are entitled to as a pc gamer?
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    juniez wrote: »
    so the real complaint is that you get a better product than the console originals but it's not quite as better as you are entitled to as a pc gamer?

Almost no graphical settings, crashes, bugs, abysmal performance. It's not a better product, it's a broken product that doesn't meet expectations of a good pc versions. No FoV settings, no VSync settings, no native 60fps support, no scaleable settings whatsoever.

Wolfenstein this year was made on the same idTech 5 engine and was a much better performing game on every system and a good pc version to boot.