• Jalcober
    Offline / Send Message
    Jalcober polycounter lvl 10
    oh damn that was hardcore
    AtKA6da.gif
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    ...but seriouslly, lets not get all violent and start attacking people. We need to remain above that. :thumbup:
  • Jalcober
    Offline / Send Message
    Its all true thought. I stopped making TF2 items because all of the same contributors would consistently get their items in. The number of new faces just became less and less and I am afraid that the same thing is happening to the DOTA workshop.
  • MagnoHusein
    Hmmm... so, some weird stuff happened today. I'm really happy for Anuxi, but all other workshop artists are being ignored and cleary isn't a matter of quality.

This kind of favoritism (VALVE's favoritism to be exact) kills the workshop idea in a way, being "famous" can't be an excuse to get stuff in.

I hope this marks the day that the workshop flaws starts to be revised.
  • Jalcober
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope this marks the day that the workshop flaws starts to be revised.

Probably not. This kind of stuff just keeps happening.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    guys, do not exaggerate please.

And also, please, do not attack Anuxi, if you are not pleased with Valve, remember that you are not pleased with VALVE

that is not just about hardwork, Anuxi's work is great and people love her sets. At a point to see people making cosplays of dota heroes using her sets.

In the end what you think Valve will choose? to pick what sells more or select one set of each contributor and create a queue with all of them to be added in game. I understand your guys frustration, but lets keep this discussion on a a healthy level
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Jalcober wrote: »
    Probably not. This kind of stuff just keeps happening.

Yup. I'd love to be wrong, but this stuff is happening for quite a while. We had a post on reddit a few weeks ago that was at the top of /r/Dota2 for quite some time, we have lots of discussions here and on the Hangouts about the issue, but it still keeps happening. I'm not sure if there's a way to contact Valve directly, unless you're one of the favorites, and why would you want more competition? Not that it would matter anyway.

@vidotto

I don't think anyone is attacking Anuxi. As most people said, she deserves a lot of it, being such a great person and an inspiration for a lot of people around here. Valve is the one to blame here.
  • Chemical Alia
    Offline / Send Message
    Chemical Alia polycounter lvl 7
    Oh, thanks guys for the comments, we really appreciate them (though maybe we picked a bad time, haha)!
    for ex. Chemical Alia was invited to ti4, which gives him more exposure right? Why not invite every single workshop artist? Chemical Alia also got the upper hand to create player sets while he was there. Im not going to sit there complaining, Im more than happy for him that he got invited, and how much success he has in his workshop career. Stuff like that inspires me, it doesnt make me mad.

Cool, just a few points to clarify:

- I've been involved in the Source art/modding community nonstop since 2009.

- That player set had nothing to do with TI3.

- Dry and I quit our jobs at Gearbox last October so that we could dedicate a full-time effort towards creating content for Dota and safely promote our work without fear of getting in trouble at work (I was almost sued at a previous job). Leaving a stable job was an enormous risk (and we chose in favor of our passions), and we hope it eventually will pay off.

- I work 12-15 hours a day on a hand with torn ligaments and failed surgeries that I cannot afford to fix, I literally cannot work any harder for fear of permanently damaging myself.

- Not a dude (you'd think my celebrity status from TI3 would have made that obvious, lol).
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun wrote: »
    Yup. I'd love to be wrong, but this stuff is happening for quite a while. We had a post on reddit a few weeks ago that was at the top of /r/Dota2 for quite some time, we have lots of discussions here and on the Hangouts about the issue, but it still keeps happening. I'm not sure if there's a way to contact Valve directly, unless you're one of the favorites, and why would you want more competition? Not that it would matter anyway.

http://www.valvesoftware.com/company/people.html
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Tvidotto wrote: »

I tried sending emails to Valve several times, never got a reply.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried sending emails to Valve several times, never got a reply.

Same thing here, but hey, you get the entirety of reddit to start spamming a stupid emoticon and they'll be sure as hell to listen to that. :thumbup:

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIFF WORKSHOP EQUALITY
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    In the end what you think Valve will choose? to pick what sells more or select one set of each contributor and create a queue with all of them to be added in game. I understand your guys frustration, but lets keep this discussion on a a healthy level

What's the point of the Workshop then? Just close it down and let Valve ask the favorites personally through email for submissions, because the workshop doesn't matter at all from the looks of it, since they want to stick closely to a handful of people, there's no reason for having an open place to submit items when they're just left to rot, unless you're on a special list from people who got on it early.
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13

Cool, just a few points to clarify:

- I've been involved in the Source art/modding community nonstop since 2009.

- That player set had nothing to do with TI3.

- Dry and I quit our jobs at Gearbox last October so that we could dedicate a full-time effort towards creating content for Dota and safely promote our work without fear of getting in trouble at work (I was almost sued at a previous job). Leaving a stable job was an enormous risk (and we chose in favor of our passions), and we hope it eventually will pay off.

- I work 12-15 hours a day on a hand with torn ligaments and failed surgeries that I cannot afford to fix, I literally cannot work any harder for fear of permanently damaging myself.

- Not a dude (you'd think my celebrity status from TI3 would have made that obvious, lol).

i like hearing more about peoples situations and the personalities behind the avatar. i like the drive you have! take care of that hand tho!! eeek!!!!
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    First, there is no reason to attack other artists for their success. Let's keep it civil.

I think Bounch put it pretty eloquently. I'm happy that Anuxi gets recognition for her hard work. Seeing the quality she puts into her sculpts has honestly given me a bar to shoot for and I really like the new Dazzle set. That being said, I don't know why the other, 11(?) sets are all of her items most of which have been in the game for some time. I really don't know why those other 11 spots could not have gone to other artist's sets in the workshop. Similar to the chests for Radiant and Dire arms where there are 10 different sets with one slim chance random.

Since the Radiant and Dire arms chests went live there has been plenty of awesome stuff on the front page of the workshop. The last patch had some new sets as well that were posted around the 8th of March. Who knows, maybe next week we'll have a new patch with some of those items made in between March 8th up to now. But seeing the chance for 10 artists to prosper in favor for one is kind of a hit.

And, just for full disclaimer, I'd be lying if some of my feelings bubbling up weren't that of jealousy. I'll own that much. It's petty and realistically I should be happy to see anyone prosper because it means that there's a chance for me. Two weeks ago I got a set onto the front page where most my stuff was sitting in 2 of the 3 top spots for a week. It may never get in and that's fine. It's just seeing a set get fast tracked within five days of submission, thrown into a chest with older items by the same artist when other cool sets have been in the workshop over the last three weeks are getting sidelined. Again, I want to clarify that this isn't against Anuxi. I like her stuff, and I'd be as frustrated if this were any other single artist being promoted over the slew of skilled items we've seen lately.
  • MugenMcFugen
    I suggest Volvo disbands ''muh lore system'' and let people create whatever they want for game! Volvo happy, we are happy!

I'm still waiting for that Capri sun and handgun set for Witch Doctor. I'm also digging that Axe, so manly.
  • MagnoHusein
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIFF WORKSHOP EQUALITY

Step 1: Spam it at Volvo's facebook page
    Step 2: Wait for it
    Step 3: ?????
    Step 4: Profit

At least they giff diretide :\
  • MugenMcFugen
    praetus wrote: »
    And, just for full disclaimer, I'd be lying if some of my feelings bubbling up weren't that of jealousy. I'll own that much. It's petty and realistically I should be happy to see anyone prosper because it means that there's a chance for me.

That's like, normal reaction for majority of people, you'd have to be a saint or something else not to feel like that sometimes. You can be genuinely happy and jealous for someone at same time, point is where do you turn that jealousy to go, either you'll wallow in self-pity or you're gonna grind your ass to get better. That's how I treat it at least.

That said, one day I'd like to see hero in Dota 2 that's named after me. Man, imagine that fucking honor. :V
  • D.Dragoon
    The thing that saddens me sometimes are some of the amazing sets/items that been on workshop for months/year that will most likely never make it into the game.
  • Hawkseye
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawkseye polycounter lvl 4
    Well we all said this is what the workshop would eventually become so im not really mad or surprised at all. I gave up after the chinese event and just make smaller stuff for fun now. But i am glad i managed to get some stuff in while the workshop was still good though.

Maybe eventually Valve will remember what the workshop was originally for so i can come back.

Anyway, i like that you guys are at least trying to fix it instead of giving up like me. :]
  • vertical
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    To be honest, either workshop artists are going to disban or the creativity/Valve's income will run dry. Only then, will our items that's stuck in submission/acceptance hell be rewarded for. Not to imply they will lose money, but if every workshop artist disbands then it will most likely be the case. On another note, if Valve accepts a gigantic amount of items, it would overwhelm the buyers to which set to choose. You can't wear all the cosmetics at once. So, there's that.
  • Chemical Alia
    Offline / Send Message
    Chemical Alia polycounter lvl 7
    vertical wrote: »
    To be honest, either workshop artists are going to disban or the creativity/Valve's income will run dry. Only then, will our items that's stuck in submission/acceptance hell be rewarded for. Not to imply they will lose money, but if every workshop artist disbands then it will most likely be the case. On another note, if Valve accepts a gigantic amount of items, it would overwhelm the buyers to which set to choose. You can't wear all the cosmetics at once. So, there's that.

It's still nowhere near as bad as the TF2 workshop/update situation, but I'm always hyper-wary of signs that Dota is heading in that sorta direction. Same bad situation, just different causes.
  • bounchfx

At first glance it's an understandable business practice (obviously businesses exist to make money), but if they keep relying on a very select few people to be doing a majority of the work, what happens when those people no longer want to contribute for whatever reason? Instead of having a large, devoted base of artists to continue to draw from, they will get to the point where they alienate everyone else and when that well is dry then it's an uncomfortable situation for them.

I thought Valve was more of a long-term thinking company, but this seems quite the contrary. More happy workshop artists not only equals more art and sets, but more competition between everyone which will only propel the quality upwards, which is beneficial for everyone involved. Not to mention there will always be more choices, and nothing says that other people or even new members can't make a set that's incredibly popular. Who knows, the 'best/highest selling set ever' might not even have come out yet, and it could be by anyone here, if they don't get discouraged first by how Valve is handling the workshop currently. By limiting the amount of people involved you are harshly limiting creativity.

I just think it's better for the community as a whole INCLUDING Valve if they spread the love around and encourage more people to participate rather than alienate a majority of their current workshoppers. I look up to Valve a ton, but for the first time ever I'm really questioning their decision making abilities, at least as far as the workshop is concerned.

:(
  • ChiZ
    I've been lucky enough that my first two set submissions have made it up on the front page of the week's most popular, even if only for a few days, and nowhere near the top. I got into the workshop just recently because, from what I could see on the outside of all this, it seemed like a great opportunity for everyone involved.

I don't have anything to complain about, seeing as I just started this and can't expect to get accepted right off the bat. But as someone who is concerned about not using an organization or an affiliation with a team/player as any sort of crutch for my work, now or in the future, it is really discouraging to hear about this, and to see what it's doing to the community.

I know that letters to Valve have failed to result in anything, but is there anything that we can do as a community to bring more exposure to the work of workshop artists who aren't already as well known?

It hardly seems like a solution to the real problem, but I would like to think that something positive could come out of all this contention.
  • poodleswithguns
    huge disclaimer. I've neither made nor ever gotten anything in the workshop.

While i understand the pain. Everyone has danced around the subject that Anuxi's items make valve lots of money. her sets sell, her single items sell. Her dedicated single item chest is still selling like 50+ a day. that chest is what? six months old now?

While it would be amazing for valve to show more equality to other artists. each new artist poses a risk. they accept your set that community up voted... but maybe up voting doesn't correlate with purchases. Anuxi and her sets are a known quantity, I'm sure Valve has an employee who has an Anuxi algorithm. Hero popularity X anuxi feathers X in game quality level = X CASH in bank.

With that being said Anuxi did make a set for LC with the purpose of getting it in for the spring event. while that set was added later to the game (probably the Anuxi Algorithm at work) they didn't go with her and instead promoted other artists, who from my humble point of view built sets that had more to do with the Chinese new year then anuxi's greko roman horse head armor.

Valve very much is first a "for Profit" business. They come with all the "evil" corporate trimmings.

now... does anything i've said help... probably not...

But you can't Shout "favoritism" when the math means that anuxi is the bigger cash cow. not leveraging her work would be akin to cutting off a nose to spite the face.

Could Valve do more to showcase other sets and artists?
    probably...

what would that look like? would you want a valve/dota2.com run section were they could showcase short interview videos to help other artists build a following? do other artists even have the time for something as short as a VINE or a 2:30 second interview.
    Would reworking how people get notified a Favorited artist / contributor has posted new work to the workshop? at the moment even though i am subscribed to many of you guys I never ever get notified in steam that you've made new work. I come here to find that out.
    Would adding a pre-purchase (almost kickstarter like) button to the sets that made up vote milestones make it easier for valve to A) gauge actual sales of a set. B) real interest in the community for this set. help?

the other side of this is what could polycount do as a community to expose more artists. an idea that people would probably feel is against there basic interests but if as a whole everyone promoted everyones work isn't that more exposure / a bigger audience / a greater chance at acceptance. what happened to polycounters putting the Polycount green happy scary face on their item splash images? why doesn't everyone link back to their polycount forum threads in the item description. why don't you post process work in the Dota 2 community art / screenshot section.

anyways END rant. when i get another chance i'll edit the shit outa this for posterity.

and i'll apologize now if i've completely misread the convo, pissed people off, or talked out of my ass about things i really shouldn't have.
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    ChiZ wrote: »
    I know that letters to Valve have failed to result in anything, but is there anything that we can do as a community to bring more exposure to the work of workshop artists who aren't already as well known?

There is talk of a Reddit AMA with Workshop Artists that was being put together in this thread. It would be a great opportunity to not only talk about the work that we do but also discuss some of the issues with the Workshop as a whole.

There is a Google Doc in that thread if you want to register your interest.
  • Vextrakt
    Offline / Send Message
    Vextrakt polycounter lvl 6
    @Hawkseye - The chinese event was meh anyways. Tell the entire artist community to create art for a specific and art style-bending theme all submitted at relatively the same time with 1% of them being accepted? What could go wrong?
  • bounchfx
    section were they could showcase short interview videos to help other artists build a following?

As a quick aside, I'm actually working on this. I wanted to keep it a secret until I had more built up/ready to go, but I plan on having a series of spotlight interviews of artists in this community that have been putting out fantastic work and deserve more recognition.
  • Xajai
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    Vextrakt wrote: »
    @Hawkseye - The chinese event was meh anyways. Tell the entire artist community to create art for a specific and art style-bending theme all submitted at relatively the same time with 1% of them being accepted? What could go wrong?

to me, that was not the issue, the problem that i saw, and again, Anuxi's work is amazing, and i keep watching her stream and learning new things, is that her set was added after the event, to me at least, that seemed a bit wrong, i understand perfectly why they did it, and from a business perspective it makes sense.
  • SemiColonThree
    Just speculation, but I really do think valve is aware of all this drama, but there isnt much they can do about it, without causing a domino effect. They are going to need the most brilliant minds to come up with a solution.

Lets say, Valve does become the equality gods, and add every highly rated set to a que list. Even then, that would become a huge problem because it would take forever for a set to get in, and then a lot of artist would be complaining "my set will never get in because there are too many submissions".

the solution to that would be to increase the average amount of sets accepted right? even then there would be people complaining about there being too many sets to pick from, and that the sets will not remotely be profitable at all.

and now since its harder for sets to get in, I can imagine a lot of artist disbanding because it wouldnt be worth their time or isnt profittable enough.

so it would have all the same side effects as of now.

just speculation tho, but I highly anticipate this would happen.

like what poodleswinthguns said , im sure Valve is using some sort of algorithem when deciding what sets get in.
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    So... Instead of people giving up because there is too many good sets so yours never will get in game, they should give up because they don't have a chance against valves faves PLUS there is too many sets so yours never will get in? I'm pretty certain all of us is aware of the competition, we just want the competition to be fair for everyone.
  • SemiColonThree
    So... Instead of people giving up because there is too many good sets so yours never will get in game, they should give up because they don't have a chance against valves faves PLUS there is too many sets so yours never will get in? I'm pretty certain all of us is aware of the competition, we just want the competition to be fair for everyone.

I dont think Valve is completely ignoring everyone, a lot of sets get in from unknown artist. There is a bubble ofcourse, but those outside the bubble also get stuff accepted...

I think this whole fairness thing is going to have the same outcome as it is now.

I think the whole fariness thing worked before, but it wont work anymore with the rising amount of workshop artist entering every day. so to get in the bubble you have to do something that other workshoppers are not doing, something unique. which is exactly what is happening. Alot of people are reverting to tournament sets. What I noticed that worked is good marketing and promotion, me and my brother have been doing a video for all our sets to try and increase the fanbase of the set we worked on, and it seems to be working.
  • poodleswithguns
    anyone else concerned that Anuxi who posts to this here thread will see this?

I love her work, I've bought her sets, i hope nothing i said prior could be misconstrued as shit talking.

the only thing I will not take back and DID mean. was the Anuxi feather count to cash amount algorithm that shit is real and nobody can tell me it's not.

you do amazing feathers.
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7

I love her work, I've bought her sets, i hope nothing i said prior could be misconstrued as shit talking.

the only thing I will not take back and DID mean. was the Anuxi feather count to cash amount algorithm that shit is real and nobody can tell me it's not.

you do amazing feathers.

Why would anyone need to be concerned about Anuxi seeing this discussion? The issue is with Valve, she got nothing to do with the problem.
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    No I don't think any of us is concerned anuxi sees this. We all respect her loads, and most people are using her as the example since it was her chest that was the straw that broke the camels back for a lot of us. This is not about her per-se, but about valve.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx wrote: »
    At first glance it's an understandable business practice (obviously businesses exist to make money), but if they keep relying on a very select few people to be doing a majority of the work, what happens when those people no longer want to contribute for whatever reason? Instead of having a large, devoted base of artists to continue to draw from, they will get to the point where they alienate everyone else and when that well is dry then it's an uncomfortable situation for them.

I thought Valve was more of a long-term thinking company, but this seems quite the contrary. More happy workshop artists not only equals more art and sets, but more competition between everyone which will only propel the quality upwards, which is beneficial for everyone involved. Not to mention there will always be more choices, and nothing says that other people or even new members can't make a set that's incredibly popular. Who knows, the 'best/highest selling set ever' might not even have come out yet, and it could be by anyone here, if they don't get discouraged first by how Valve is handling the workshop currently. By limiting the amount of people involved you are harshly limiting creativity.

I just think it's better for the community as a whole INCLUDING Valve if they spread the love around and encourage more people to participate rather than alienate a majority of their current workshoppers. I look up to Valve a ton, but for the first time ever I'm really questioning their decision making abilities, at least as far as the workshop is concerned.

:(

I do agree with you about the encorage thing, some of the updates this year were really demotivational, like updates just for items bound to championships and updates with item for just one organization.

And the lack of communication makes everything worse
  • poodleswithguns
    Why would anyone need to be concerned about Anuxi seeing this discussion? The issue is with Valve, she got nothing to do with the problem.

while true. when every post on the subject calls you out by name. it can begin to look like the mob has bones to pick.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15

you do amazing feathers.

As several others said, none of this should be about Anuxi. If people have beef its with Valve. I have been a fan if Anuxi's work pre-dota, and love the dota hats she makes. I think some people are taking this the wrong way. I finally had something added after trying for about 2 years (including tf2) I have faith that we will see more content added each month. I agree some, as I previously stated, don't deserve to workshop. I think as Valve evolves Steam ugc delivery will evolve too.
    TL: DR
    Anuxi rules, her doto hats rule, congrats again!

I've got a lot more work to do, if I can get doto hats in, so can you!
  • Reyne
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    Anuxi's work is great I love her work. I think that from all I have seen on her stream, she I a wonderful person. I think envy got the best of a few people.

Based on the language that Valve uses they clearly see Anuxi as a commodity:

"In addition, this treasure has a chance of containing:
    Genuine Shadow Flame
    A chest of sets created by the community contributor Anuxi."

This isn't a bad thing. Anuxi's items sell and with good reason.

Chemical Alia, It is really sad to see how hard you work and what you have to work with and have less than you would like to show for it financially. I really like your work and would love to see more of it in game.

I think the way valve feels is that workshop contributors are hobbyists (and I am so for me that is fair) and they feel that any amount they give to any artist is a blessing. Obviously there are people producing high quality work that rely on accepted items to survive. Unfortunately I cannot see them changing the direction they are currently moving in. Money comes from branding and they want to have strong brands, names of artists and players alike are strong brands. Occasionally they will still add items from lesser known artists but my guess is that the future of the workshop is not going to be a viable income for more than a few people.

My only solution would be for the really serious artists to try and establish brands of your own. I know that isn't a very enjoyable prospect for most artists,and it wont be easy, Anuxi has worked hard for hers but it seems like the most assured way to get items accepted.
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5

you do amazing feathers.

Nobody here has slagged off Anuxi, I don't quite know where people are getting this idea from.

We're all quite happy for her I'm sure, and she produces really solid work. Not to mention she like all of us here would be able to appreciate where we're coming from.

I do sincerely think that with the developments over the last few months, perhaps even the last year after TI3 Valve has taken steps which really hurt the wider workshop community looking for long term stability. This most recent chest, and the other chests are imo a really good place to start a discussion. Chests seem to me like a form of short-termism. They gain traction and sales really quickly and fall off really fast. A quick cash grab if you will. Chests that continue to pull in sales after several months are a rarity.

In the past single items used to go into the store as well as go in via chests. That was maybe 2 years ago or something? Now they only go in via chests if at all - this means that artists who can only afford the time to do single items only have this single, short term avenue to get items into the game. The mercurial nature of the workshop compounds this problem, because it means we need to produce items in great quantities to assure ourselves of getting as good a chance as possible.

Now this approach is the one that Valve is starting to use for sets as well, probably to try to cope with the insane amount of work the community is putting out. And this latest chest is where Valve I think has seriously dropped the ball. All the pieces of Anuxi's set chest are available on the community market other than the dazzle set. If people want the other pieces they can get them at half the key price on the market. So the main draw other than a casual purchase really is the dazzle set, which has markedly inflated value on the market now. I hear about 30 bucks or something. However, since we get reduced percentages from market sales (from recent experience, I'd say 1/4 of what we usually get. So around 6.25%) for each $30 purchase on the market Anuxi is getting maybe around 1.80. Add in the key sales and that sounds pretty good, but if the key sales drop off like the other chests and the value of the set on the market goes down, then I honestly think Anuxi is the one who gets shafted.

That is even before I can get started on how putting all those easily available items into a chest hurts Valve's reputation with us, hurts the principles I've always felt the workshop aspired towards, and hurts the people who're relying on this for a living. Sets are only available in limited quantity, and are one of the few opportunities to get stuff into the game. For Valve to basically take all the available opportunities this latest chest provides and give them to a single artist when there are tons of sets on the workshop waiting and artists praying for approval is like a huge slap to the face. I'm a little distanced from this all because I work a full time job, I can only imagine what it's like for people who gave up their jobs for the workshop.

Valve has always played favourites, that's really nothing new. But combined with how many people there are vying for places and the new way that they're letting items in, imo it's becoming a bigger issue than ever.

I don't mind chests really. They're a good bit of fun, and for the lesser workshop artists like myself who can't keep hammering out sets every week they've always been a source of hope. But they really should not be the only way to get stuff into the game, and I hope they don't become the norm. Unfortunately between the volume of tournament/pro/community sponsored items and how Valve is experimenting with sets in a chest system I'm not particularly optimistic.
  • poodleswithguns
    Snowstorm wrote: »
    Nobody here has slagged off Anuxi, I don't quite know where people are getting this idea from.

We're all quite happy for her I'm sure, and she produces really solid work. Not to mention she like all of us here would be able to appreciate where we're coming from.

I do sincerely think that with the developments over the last few months, perhaps even the last year after TI3 Valve has taken steps which really hurt the wider workshop community. This most recent chest, and the other chests are imo a really good place to start a discussion. Chests seem to me like a form of short-termism. They gain traction and sales really quickly and fall off really fast. A quick cash grab if you will. Chests that continue to pull in sales after several months are a rarity.

In the past single items used to go into the store as well as go in via chests. That was maybe 2 years ago or something? Now they only go in via chests if at all - this means that artists who can only afford the time to do single items only have this single, short term avenue to get items into the game. The mercurial nature of the workshop compounds this problem, because it means we need to produce items in great quantities to assure ourselves of getting as good a chance as possible.

And now this is approach is the one that Valve is starting to use for sets as well, probably to try to cope with the insane amount of work the community is putting out. And this latest chest is where Valve I think has seriously dropped the ball. All the pieces of Anuxi's set chest are available on the community market other than the dazzle set. If people want the other pieces they can get them at half the key price on the market. So the main draw other than a casual purchase really is the dazzle set, which has markedly inflated value on the market now. I hear about 30 bucks or something. However, since we get reduced percentages from market sales (from recent experience, I'd say 1/4 of what we usually get. So around 6.25%) for each $30 purchase on the market Anuxi is getting maybe around 1.80. Add in the key sales and that sounds pretty good, but if the key sales drop off like the other chests, then I honestly think Anuxi is the one who gets shafted.

That is even before I can get started on how putting all those easily available items into a chest hurts Valve's reputation with us, hurts the principles I've always felt the workshop started from, and hurts the people who're relying on this for a living. I'm a little distanced from this all because I work a full time job, I can only imagine what it's like for people who gave up their jobs for the workshop.

I don't mind chests really. They're a good bit of fun, and for the lesser workshop artists like myself who can't keep hammering out sets every week they've always been a source of hope. But they really should not be the only way to get stuff into the game, and I hope they don't become the norm. Unfortunately between the volume of tournament/pro/community sponsored items and how Valve is experimenting with sets in a chest system I'm not particularly optimistic.

speaking about community market. If nobody has taken a look. Check out how CS:GO is currently setup.

Zero in game Market outside of keys. reduced chest occurrence rates.
    and Every item from a chest is immediately marketable. the community market then decides the price of any item. with new items like the new dazzle set being High 30+ dollars until market / consumer saturation hits and the price begins to fall to what people are willing to sell for and pay for.

Something about the new set chests in dota / the way CS:GO is setup makes me believe that dota will follow sooner rather then later.

good or bad... i guess we'll see.
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    speaking about community market. If nobody has taken a look. Check out how CS:GO is currently setup.

Zero in game Market outside of keys. reduced chest occurrence rates.
    and Every item from a chest is immediately marketable. the community market then decides the price of any item. with new items like the new dazzle set being High 30+ dollars until market / consumer saturation hits and the price begins to fall to what people are willing to sell for and pay for.

Something about the new set chests in dota / the way CS:GO is setup makes me believe that dota will follow sooner rather then later.

good or bad... i guess we'll see.

Letting the community decide the price of items sounds cool, in theory. The market does everything, which is something that Valve seems to like. System-ising stuff like that so they reduce the load on themselves(I quite enjoy that too actually :P). However that will provide an even less stable environment for artists and take away most of the control Valve has on the economy. Furthermore the community prices items (and likewise votes for them) based on their popularity, as opposed to artistic merit. As artists the hope that Valve will judge our items on their artistic merit is an important one which keeps us working imo. This has been called into question recently with the tournament sets, and you're already reading some of the backlash.

Considering that the Dota 2 store will not go away at the very least because of tournament and pro items, I don't see a community market only system as a likely scenario.

Also, as an interface the community market is sorely lacking, and as it stands the official store is a much more visible and official way of finding items :/ Not of course strictly related to the economy, but it definitely affects purchasing on a practical level.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne wrote: »
    Money comes from branding and they want to have strong brands, names of artists and players alike are strong brands.

If thats the case and you want to do this, I urge you to get together with friends and people you work well with together and make a brand for yourselves. If they want brands, then we'll give it to them.
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    If thats the case and you want to do this, I urge you to get together with friends and people you work well with together and make a brand for yourselves. If they want brands, then we'll give it to them.

BLUE SUN RISING
  • PoPcorn
    I think one of the problems is that since Anuxi's first chest, there have been arguably better artists contributing to the workshop. Where are their chests?

Giving Anuxi the original chest made sense as she was in many ways the first recognized workshop celebrity. I find the decision to give her a second one very odd and unfair to everyone else that has worked hard since then.
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I think we all just need to write to Valve about the current problems facing the workshop. If enough people do, they will take notice. Add your personal stories and situations into it instead of just writing a technical breakdown of why we think it sucks.

I really think they (whoever is actually pushing workshop related content) just aren't considering the implications of the workshop system. By supporting so many of us over time they've created an expectation from us that they would continue to do so and I don't think they realize it. They have no way of knowing any of our situations or understanding our perspectives on it. From their perspective they're helping tournaments and artists and consistently putting out new items. Not thinking about how the rest of us are getting left behind.

Honestly I don't know how much longer I can continue doing this full-time if something doesn't change.
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Since the Chinese events, all I see that 2014 is becoming a steep mountain to climb for "hobbyist" artists like me. No more single items, sets in chests, cheap sets, ...etc.

Then again, I don't have any other alternative where I can make an item and it could have a chance of making money and grow my portfolio at the same time.
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    What i find interesting about much of this is the change in chests, and Valves move away from single items towards a focus on sets. Which i think makes sense to a degree, as previously the income from a single item in a monthly chest could outweigh that of a reasonably selling Set, which isn't really equitable for artists making sets.

What concerns me is i don't see a huge amount of room for single items anymore, and singles have always been a great way for artists with less time or experience to break into the workshop or at least just be involved.

So from my perspective (which is based on a huge amount of presumption) it looks like Single sets, Bundled sets, Pro Team/Player Sets, Tournament Sets and Treasure Chest sets. Which is a pretty diverse selection of entry points for artists making sets.

For singles items, Bundles may be an option, like the bundle of hairdo's and the tournament set of two Pudge weapons. Outside of that will Valve continue to add single item chests? are single items still viable?

This, in a group or just as yourself. Anuxi and Redmoon are both great examples of how to do this and do it well.
  • Rocket_Science
    Offline / Send Message
    Rocket_Science polycounter lvl 8
    Vayne4800 wrote: »
    Since the Chinese events, all I see that 2014 is becoming a steep mountain to climb for "hobbyist" artists like me. No more single items, sets in chests, cheap sets, ...etc.

Then again, I don't have any other alternative where I can make an item and it could have a chance of making money and grow my portfolio at the same time.

No reason to make single items anymore?