Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Erasam Emberhart - Obese Blood Elf Engineer; Blizzard Student Art Contest 2012 Charac

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @Artquest: Spent some time taking care of your face critiques. It's getting difficult on that front.

@Sttv: I'll deal with those a tiny bit later. Just gotta take care of some odd emails I got today.

705306_10151219284673227_484304938_o.jpg
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    why is his face as wrinkly as mick jagger but does nothing else show any aging?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Was trying to follow Artquests' critiques, though understandably now this guy looks fairly elder.
  • artquest
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Was trying to follow Artquests' critiques, though understandably now this guy looks fairly elder.

Looking good so far! Id suggest bringing the highlights down a bit for now, just work with the midtone/darks to establish the shape. The dark lines were more abstracts of facial features. sorry about that :P They represent underlying structures but don't usually show so much on the face of a younger person.

iVdklHSyets99.jpg
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Well I don't really mind much whether he's old or not, I just wanted to point out that if people have a wrinkly face, they tend to have wrinkly shoulders and arms too.

keith-richards-barechest-at-60-300x278.jpg

And in this case, the elf had a very wrinkly face but super young looking arms.
  • Stvv
    Face looks much better, only thing I can see is the lips are usually more pink/red. Along with what artquest said.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    It feels like I'm henpecking at this, not sure if I'm at the point where I need to decide to stop "rendering." Unless there's actually more to do? Didn't work on this for two days, took an unwilling break, took care of other things on the agenda.

@artquest, Snader & Stvv: tried to do what I can to implement your feedback. Definitely softened the face to make it younger like in the original concept.

A big attempt with this iteration included adding other hues into the local colors, so venturing into purples in the red's shadows, and venturing into a stronger orange for the gold mid-tones and red highlights. Hopefully that sorta show through. Pulled back on the Color Balance layer on this texture iteration. Does it look better or worse?

I guess that light map on the weapon is too strong and blowing it out.

View the 3D model

Ys4Te.jpg

And the texture maps as it stands. I swear, since my intention as well is to apply for that 3D character Intern position for the summer at BLizzard, the Texture Map might screw me over. God-willing, it'll be a miracle if I get that position or anything close to that.

5TRrg.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Feel like I should rig this really soon.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Playing around with different Color Balance adjustments. The one WITHOUT Color Balance is on the left, while the middle and right do have Color Balance. Marmoset lighting is just a white spotlight to get as neutral a lighting as possible.

In regards to the model's texture itself, I am still not sure what else to do. I do remember warnings from other artists about constantly just making adjustments when the thing is "done" and I'm not sure if that this is the situation right now or that I am missing something else entirely.

dNwST.jpg
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    looks good - it's a bit far along to change some of the mistakes I see, you should look to a better UV layout for your next model. The face doesn't really need to be mirrored, I can't make out the scar at gameplay distance. Even if you needed to mirror the face a UV layout more like this would be better:

elfuvs.jpg

I also think 1024 for a character is too large for WoW specs, I don't think you'll lose much detail downsizing his texture to 512.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    I might have time? I have a sneaking suspicion it might be a make or break for the contest piece, since the texture map has to be presented as well . . .

Should I spend the day trying to fix that?

1024 was the requirement for the Blizzard ARt Contest
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    SCREW IT. I got the time to RE-UV this, not like it'll take forever to paint knowing what my benchmark is.
  • Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    geez, i admire your dedication to re UV and paint... goodluck! its looking good, you've made good progress, it'll be even better 2nd time around
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    God allowed us to invent coffee for good reason.

I shall use this curse!

BUT does ANYONE else see ANY other UV things that would piss you off if this was all done professionally?
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    you know you can bake textures over from one uv layout to another. It's not that big of a deal.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Wait wut? Where's the tutorial for this that's most effective in its teaching? O.o
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    What software are you using? It varies a bit between each application.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    I got Maya, Zbrush, 3DSmax, xNormal at my fingertips at the moment.
  • ZacD
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Woops. I screwed up.

Ok, is there any way to transfer the UVset from one .ma file to another .ma file?
  • ZacD
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried, I'm getting null. Even followed this: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjFuGtJ7BK4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjFuGtJ7BK4[/ame]

Gonna see what's going on.

EDIT:

Just physically stacked the two meshes. Apparently Componenet wasn't working for me.
  • Broadway
    Offline / Send Message
    Broadway polycounter lvl 9
    Hey JadeEyePanda, you are really making some progress with this dude! You mentioned not knowing what else to paint in the texture; I made a crappy paintover to give you some suggestions. I'm not that up to date on WoW so take everything I say with a grain of salt :)

1. The models in WoW generally have a contrast gradient - the highest contrast is on the areas of interest, and the lowest is on the "unimportant" areas, like the lower legs, or the handles of weapons.

2. Another thing they seem to do is "punch up" certain areas to make them brighter, like there was a point light over them or something. In the pics I looked at, it seems that this happens on the face, the upper torso/chest, the forearms, and the front of the thighs. I did this in my paintover by using an Overlay layer with some radial gradients. Check out this pic to see what I mean:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090131014829/wowwiki/images/2/22/Druid_Tier_Sets.jpg

3. You could use more contrast and more highlights in your metal. Some areas are better than others; the shoulder pads look pretty good, but the diamond shaped metal pieces on the pillar, for instance, need more contrast. In the paintover I didn't mess with most areas in this regard, but I did change the pillar and the weapon.

4. In WoW, usually when there is a large flat area there is some kind of painterly texture. They'll often do worn cloth, or cracked leather, or pitted metal, or something similar. I added something like this to the pillar surface and the weapon. Along these same lines, you could use more scratches on the metal areas too.

5. Baking AO into your diffuse might help you some. The most obvious area I can see that would benefit is the space between the front waist pouch and the cylindrical canister underneath it.

6. Check out the elf hair in WoW. They seem to start with a dark flat color, then lighten it with smooth gradients to get the major shapes in. Then, it looks like they mask those gradients with a fairly large "strand" pattern to make it look like hair. I kind of put this in the paintover but it's not perfect; the elf on the left of the linked image is a good example of what I'm talking about. Another thing is, even though this guy has white hair, I would avoid letting it blow out to full white in the texture, or if you do, only do it for very small highlight areas, and not for whole swaths of hair.

pRw0M.gif

Finally, I think the face could use a little more love. This isn't really my specialty and a lot of the other guys that have commented here are better than me at this, but here's a suggestion to get you thinking about the kind of things you could do:

sC5QY.gif

Based on some blood elf pics, they seem to have relatively small mouths, long thin downturned noses, really prominent cheekbones and of course, permanently angry eyebrows :).

I hope some of this is helpful, keep going man, it's looking cool!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Texture update. Re UV'd an maps transfered.

If there's anything else wrong with the UVs, please tell me T_T

OuyGg.jpg
  • Proxzee
    Wow, you sure did use the space well! Your painting needs to be less scratchy though. Try painting with a large flat brush. It's also important to indicate form strongly with your brushes. Due to low poly meshes, you have to paint in muscles and such. Also paint this character slightly lit from the top. Since your character isnt going to be upside down much. So warmer tones coming in from top light, cooler tones in shadows. Really control your color and color temperature to get a more naturalistic feel. Also bump up the embossing on that cloth!

THICK and BOLD.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    @Broadway: I have no idea how you painted that texture on the cannon shaft, but I'm going to try my best to emulate it because it looks fab. (If you have any tips /reference for that, I would definitely like to see it :D)

@Proxzee: Several of the images may or may not contain the lightmap gradient I plan to have in the final texture, but I get your point definitely. Bumping up the emboss on the cloth . . . this might be tricky since I'm not immediately visualizing this.
  • artquest
    Offline / Send Message
    This has come along way jadeEyePanda! It's looking quite nice. Here are a few suggestions:

It's probably a good time to start working on matching the style a bit better. Here's a screenshot of a blood elf from the WoW model viewer. Notice how the Dark line around the eyes thins out and stops before reaching the bottom? I'd also remove the dark line above your character's eyes as the "eyelids" should probably be covered by an angry brow :P Also notice how light and saturated the skin tones are. I'd do a levels and a HSV adjustment on the skin tones to try to get it a bit closer.

ivX6fhSPixRo.jpg

Your characters hair is white but that doesn't mean it shouldn't have somewhat darker/grey-ish areas on it.

Blood_Elf_versus_High_Elf_-_male.jpg

A good rule of thumb for color theory is 70% neutral coverage and 30% POP the saturation. For Wow I'd keep this idea but just up the saturation on the base 70%

Also for value ranges it's generally good to stay between 80% and 10%. Going to light or too dark doesn't end up looking so good. Especially if lighting is involved (It'll start to blow out your colors.) But even if it's a full bright diffuse model with no lighting it will still look nice if you stick generally those rules. Usually the only time I paint with values above 80% is when something is emitting light(Like the center of the blood elves eye in the first screenshot.)

Oh and design wise the schematics on the scrolls are really bothering me. It draws too much attention to those areas from a design standpoint. It's all about areas of rest and areas of detail. The face is always the first thing we look at as humans so that area should be the center of attention/details. Everything else should guide the eye back to the main point of interest. But if you really want to keep the patterns, at least make the color a medium brownish color.

Good luck Panda!

P.S.
    How much time do you have left for this project?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Got till January 14th, 11:59pm.
  • artquest
    Offline / Send Message
    In that case I would fulfill the requirements of the contest and then keep working on it after that. That way you have something you can submit but you can tweak past that. So maybe rig/pose setup a camera bookmark so you can just re-render and drop the new render into your final presentation image.

Also don't wait till the last minute to submit your entry. I remember having trouble getting through to the servers back in 2006.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Prolly gonna have to rig it for the beauty shot for the submission anyways. :P
  • PaulP
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    (woops looked at wrong page, ignore previous comment, sorry!)

This turned out awesome, nice work!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man. I was about to freak out for a minute there. T_T
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    @Artquest: Did what I could to deal with going overboard with the values by softening the contrasts on the skin areas and face (using your pics as reference). On my end, I just replaced the dark brown-y areas with the pink I had in the gaunt of the face.

@Broadway: I think I figure out your cannon texture thing? It's marble right?

@Proxzee: Tried to go thicker and bolder, specifically with the embossing on the clothes. It was dirty and sensuous.

http://p3d.in/JltOW

6i8I2.jpg

And the texture map as it stands, this is with the light map AND the color balance

nSl2L.jpg
  • artquest
    Offline / Send Message
    The face looks much better! The eyes have especially improved. Now his arms look like they have more of a tan than his chest/face.

and you may have brought a little too much red into the gold. But you are very close! The shoulder trim seems to be the best gold you have. Try to unify it just a bit more. I know it can be frustrating being so close and making all these minor tweaks but it will pay off in the end! Keep at it. I'ts looking great!

Female_Blood_Elf.sized_.jpg

Blood%20Elf.png
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    @Artquest: In regards to the red, are we talking about the darker areas on the shoes and the armbands, etc?
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    the spiral on the arm scrolls needs to be bigger and less noisy. I wouldn't have it loop around as much, maybe 2 loops.
  • artquest
    Offline / Send Message
    @Artquest: In regards to the red, are we talking about the darker areas on the shoes and the armbands, etc?

Yes, also on the cannon trim. If you color pick the darker areas there's too much red IN the orange.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    @artquest: tried locating all the red areas beyond those three mentioned and made adjustments.

And no worries about the "tiny adjustments." If I AM at that stage, I'll take it as a blessing that I'm real bloody close.

Since I don't think I need to make any more mesh adjustments of any sort, especially with the eyebrows, I'm gonna start rigging.

cZGyH.jpg
  • artquest
    Offline / Send Message
    Much better! and yeah I'd prolly adjust the eyebrow like u pointed out :)
  • Broadway
    Offline / Send Message
    Broadway polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good, well done man! It "pops" better now. I'd still probably make the face more elf-y but perhaps that's just my own personal taste. You might also look into adding some highlights/high-contrast areas to some of his tools, and maybe some AO/shadows underneath them where they attach to his torso. For instance the wrench is kind of hard to pick out at the moment.

It seems like you already figured out that cannon texture, but all I was doing was pretty similar to the last 3 steps of this thing:

http://gimaldinov.deviantart.com/art/How-to-draw-wooden-plank-267517599

only more blurry. Even though the tutorial is for wood, those little blotches are an easy way to get quick painterly detail. (and I wasn't sure what sort of material you wanted the cannon to be, I was thinking it was stone/plaster)

Good work!
  • jairo0182
    Nice job! One thing if you have time, On the Green Crystals i will try not to go too dark and u might want to add a second color. Also on the feet there is a very dark spot, so basically try to get rid of those very dark spots that look black. I like it so far good luck my friend!
  • artquest
    Offline / Send Message
    Final images ready yet?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Naw. Still trying to figure out how to rig this thing . . . Seriously, it might be an all nighter for me today.

Like a good friend of mine did a quick dirty rig with a script he grabbed from Creative Crash, but I'm trying to figure out wth he did and how to adjust it so I don't get the legs moving the tunic, etc.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Rough pose. Thank God I don't need to skin-fix like crazy since I don't need to do a crazy pose . . . I think. Need critiques! Texture still critiqueable as well!

xCGcU.jpg
  • jairo0182
    i like it!

Pose: move the arm holding the tool far out... and the other hand could be facing up...

TExture: The critique is above ;)

-dude a question, the due date for this is tonight before 12 or tomorrow before 12?

- For the concept art, are you going to put a pencil one or one of your photoshop ones???

Thanks!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm safely assuming 11:59 pm on the 14th.

And I'm prolly gonna toss in my final color with adjustments for the concept.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    I am LITERALLY doing last minute triangle cuts. There's stuff that is not contributing to the silhouette that's getting gutted out T_T
  • jairo0182
    sounds good! how many winners there are? like the 3 best right? or just 1?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Should be three if they're anthing like last year.