Replies

• motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    thanks a lot! it works perfectly now!
  • Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    A way to set the default background color would be nice, for consistency.
    Also being able to (auto) re-import objects please! :)
  • EarthQuake
    Joost wrote: »
    A way to set the default background color would be nice, for consistency.
    Also being able to (auto) re-import objects please! :)

Thanks for the feedback!
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Please auto reimport objects
  • Joopson
    Online / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I'd love, in the capture settings, to have a "double res" button that takes the current dimensions and doubles them, or quadruples them, or halves them.
  • Lemm
    Is the option to tile textures already in? I can't believe I haven't seen it suggested anywhere! I use to take a look at environments before they make it into the engine, and I'm always forced to build UV maps for temporary meshes. It becomes painful in an iterative workflow.
  • Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    few more suggestions:

A way to change the default sky folder so I don't have to clutter my SSD or navigate to a different location every time I launch Marmoset. Though it does remember the last location so it's not too much of a problem.

not sure if this is practical but loading in tonemapped skies for the background? The default tonemapping is sometimes too flat and there's no way to change just the background afaik.

Being able to save out different render elements (normal, depth, SSAO)
  • Joopson
    Online / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Being able to save out different render elements (normal, depth, SSAO)

That would be amazing.
  • EarthQuake
    Lemm wrote: »
    Is the option to tile textures already in? I can't believe I haven't seen it suggested anywhere! I use to take a look at environments before they make it into the engine, and I'm always forced to build UV maps for temporary meshes. It becomes painful in an iterative workflow.

Currently we do not support texture tiling in the material editor. For now, you can set your tiling with your uv maps. This is something we hope to add in a future release.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
  • cartermrobbinson
    All apologies if this has been suggested. I did search the forums, and look through this thread. Admittedly, I don't have the time to read through every post. (Searches brought up very few results.)

Feature requests:

1. *Mesh enviro occlusion I would love it if you had room mesh that would occlude/block the environment lighting. I know there are workarounds, but it would speed things up and improve quality.

2. Right click menus and customizable RT click menus The ability to create custom menus of any kind, in the UI, would be very helpful. If we could create custom mouse menus, all the better.

3. Custom shortcut keys It would be awesome if we could get access to all the commands that are used anywhere in Marmoset, and then assign a shortcut key to a command.
    (Example: in modo, as you're working, you hit F5, and a list of all commands you used this session is available. Right click on the command, choose "map to key" or "assign shortcut key", can't remember which, and that's it.
    You can also use the Input Editor to get access to oodles of commands, and custom menus that you can tweak to your heart's content.

This is a lot to add, and I imagine that, if the Marmo crew saw them as good features, it would still take a few versions to create.
    But if the Objects Occluding Enviro Lighting could be added, or even a better workaround, that would be just awesome! :)

Irregardless, thank you to the entire team at Marmo for such a great tool, and for offering it, consistently, at a really great price! I would never have gotten into Marmo if it weren't for the good prices.

Thanks again, all.
  • EarthQuake
    All apologies if this has been suggested. I did search the forums, and look through this thread. Admittedly, I don't have the time to read through every post. (Searches brought up very few results.)

Feature requests:

1. *Mesh enviro occlusion I would love it if you had room mesh that would occlude/block the environment lighting. I know there are workarounds, but it would speed things up and improve quality.

2. Right click menus and customizable RT click menus The ability to create custom menus of any kind, in the UI, would be very helpful. If we could create custom mouse menus, all the better.

3. Custom shortcut keys It would be awesome if we could get access to all the commands that are used anywhere in Marmoset, and then assign a shortcut key to a command.
    (Example: in modo, as you're working, you hit F5, and a list of all commands you used this session is available. Right click on the command, choose "map to key" or "assign shortcut key", can't remember which, and that's it.
    You can also use the Input Editor to get access to oodles of commands, and custom menus that you can tweak to your heart's content.

This is a lot to add, and I imagine that, if the Marmo crew saw them as good features, it would still take a few versions to create.
    But if the Objects Occluding Enviro Lighting could be added, or even a better workaround, that would be just awesome! :)

Irregardless, thank you to the entire team at Marmo for such a great tool, and for offering it, consistently, at a really great price! I would never have gotten into Marmo if it weren't for the good prices.

Thanks again, all.

Thanks for the feedback!
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Small feature that may have been mentioned before. You can currently choose different UV channels for AO but for nothing else. It'd be really handy if I could choose different UV channels for things like transparency or any other inputs in general
  • EarthQuake
    praetus wrote: »
    Small feature that may have been mentioned before. You can currently choose different UV channels for AO but for nothing else. It'd be really handy if I could choose different UV channels for things like transparency or any other inputs in general

I've added another vote on my suggestion list for this one, thanks!
  • Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    No idea how easy this would be to implement, but imo it would be nice if you could somehow move the UI to a second monitor so you can have your viewport fullscreen while tweaking stuff. Especially for things like vignette.
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    I would like that too.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Just got that email about the upcoming marmoset viewer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WwkkNHvgV4&feature=youtu.be

Can't wait to get my hands on this feature!!!

I'm really curious if there will be limitations on what you can put in a scene and what not. (like light limitations and stuff)
  • stilobique
    Offline / Send Message
    stilobique polycounter lvl 12
    [...]

I'm really curious if there will be limitations on what you can put in a scene and what not. (like light limitations and stuff)
    One limit, it's our hardware !
    However, i don't if all feature are fonctional ; displacement don't work on Mac OS with Marmoset, on WebGL is't fix ?
  • FedDark
    Offline / Send Message
    FedDark polycounter lvl 7
    Hi toolbag developers! I like toolbag and have a couple things to look at.
    The first one is feature request: Often when your model is in progress you need to look at pure color of your maps: albedo, spec, gloss, etc.. so if there would be an option to quick switch between render modes to see pure albedo, spec, gloss.. should be very handy for work in progress! cause toolbag updating PSD files so fast, its cool!
    The second point is noisy local reflections, when you rotate camera whole the picture get noisy semitransparent pattern overlayed, I think it caused by local reflections algorithms.
  • EarthQuake
    No idea how easy this would be to implement, but imo it would be nice if you could somehow move the UI to a second monitor so you can have your viewport fullscreen while tweaking stuff. Especially for things like vignette.

Hey Joost, thanks for the feedback. A more customizable UI is something we're interested in adding, however it will likely take an overhaul of our UI system, so probably more of a long term thing. I agree though, it would be great to break elements off and place them on a secondary monitor, photoshop style.
  • EarthQuake
    Just got that email about the upcoming marmoset viewer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WwkkNHvgV4&feature=youtu.be

Can't wait to get my hands on this feature!!!

Hey Brad, glad to see you are interested in the Viewer! First off, the Viewer is still in active development and the feature set is not set in stone. At this time, there are some limitations, currently only 3 shadow casting lights are supported. Area lights are not supported at this time. The primary reason for these limitations is that we have been targeting lower-end (mobile) hardware like tablets, so we have some strict memory limitations to deal with. Some texture maps are not supported at this time either, due to similar memory constraints, such as AO maps, fuzz maps, etc.

We are going to look into the possibility of enabling higher-end features on hardware (like PC GPUs) that support it.
  • EarthQuake
    FedDark wrote: »
    Hi toolbag developers! I like toolbag and have a couple things to look at.
    The first one is feature request: Often when your model is in progress you need to look at pure color of your maps: albedo, spec, gloss, etc.. so if there would be an option to quick switch between render modes to see pure albedo, spec, gloss.. should be very handy for work in progress! cause toolbag updating PSD files so fast, its cool!

This is one of our most frequent requests, in all likelihood we will add this in a future version.
    The second point is noisy local reflections, when you rotate camera whole the picture get noisy semitransparent pattern overlayed, I think it caused by local reflections algorithms.
    Local reflection, ambient occlusion and dithered alpha quality improves significantly when you export your final rendered image. The nosiness is by design so that we can keep performance high to increase iteration time. Try to think of these effects as a quick preview rather than the final result. On image export the render with be super-sampled which significantly improves the quality and reduces noise. You can render at a higher resolution to further improve image quality, for instance 3840x2160 and then resize in photshop to 1920x1080.

You can also set your resolution in the render tab to 2:1 (double) this will improve quality at the expense of performance. This setting only affects the preview resolution, not the exported image resolution.
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    would be nice to be able to control the shadows quality, the minute I have alpha foliage the shadow are a mess they look blurry and ugly.
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    +1million for high res shadows.
  • EarthQuake
    High res shadows can be enabled in the render tab. Unfortunately at this time there is no simple way for us to further increase shadow resolution without completely redesigning our shadow map system. This may happen in the future, however, that would be more of a long term thing.

You can also adjust shadow bluring with the width setting in the light properties.
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    that button change NOTHING when i click on it, ever.
  • EarthQuake
    Odow wrote: »
    that button change NOTHING when i click on it, ever.

If you can provide a screenshot of the problem I may be able to help.

Just as an example, this is what the high res shadows option does for me:

High res shadows off:
    tb2shadow01.jpg

High res shadows on:
    tb2shadow02.jpg

Area lights can help as well, use the width parameter in the light properties to create a larger, more diffuse light source which provides blurrier shadows.
    tb2shadow03.jpg

Area lights + high res shadows:
    tb2shadow04.jpg

Increasing light width even further provides a nice soft, ambient occlusion sort of shadow:

tb2shadows05.jpg

Unfortunately due to the design of our shadow map system, shadow map resolution is tied to the entire scene, so if you're loading a very large and complex scene, the shadow resolution is shared for all the objects in the scene. There is no easy way for us to change this at this time, to improve it significantly will require a completely overhaul of the shadow system, which again, we may look into in the future.
  • stilobique
    Offline / Send Message
    stilobique polycounter lvl 12
    Hello,
    adding a simple button for clear unused material be possible ?
  • EarthQuake
    stilobique wrote: »
    Hello,
    adding a simple button for clear unused material be possible ?

Thanks for the feedback, I've added it to our suggestion list.
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Hey, EQ, I just wanted to drop past and say thanks for the overview of how the shadows work. I'd never really been close enough to anything to see what the HQ shadow changed so clearly, and had no idea how to make them softer.

I feel silly, but yeah. Thanks. :D
  • Count Vertsalot
    Do you guys plan on bringing particles back some day? Having them being self illuminating would rock. I'd think it'd be cool for flaming swords, rainbow pixie dust for unicorns, etc.
  • EarthQuake
    We do not currently have any short or long term plans to add a particle system to Toolbag 2. If there is a lot of interest in such a feature we may look into it in the future.
  • NeonMonkey
    Offline / Send Message
    NeonMonkey polycounter lvl 6
    Hello! Big fan of Toolbag. I'm not sure if this has been suggested already or not but having a feature to simply copy/paste settings, such as your Transform position, rotation, scale so that every time I re-import a mesh I don't have to input said values over and over would be fantastic! Keep up the great work and I'm looking forward to the release of the Viewer.
  • Dancuka
    Offline / Send Message
    Dancuka polycounter lvl 3
    Hi! Not sure if already suggested, but autorealoading meshes is something I _really_ miss from the last toolbag. I wish MT2 would autoimport the latest obj/etc automatically if I a save a new one in the same path. Working with a large scene can be a pain in the butt when you need to re-import meshes manually and assign materials again and again. Especially if I have many different objects with unique materials. I tend to update my mesh and fix stuff on it on the go and importing a new version and assigning materials to it is kinda tedious. At least an opiton to have this on would be cool.

Also, a global button for disabling MIPMAPPING for ALL textures in the material would be cool too. Also a setting/button to make all textures filtered at 16x/8x/4x at the same time for all textures. Clicking on the maps options and setting these manually for every single one can get tedious too.

Other than that loving toolbag! Keep up the awesome work! :thumbup:
  • Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Hue, saturation and curves just for HDRis would be nice imo. Maybe even a way to desaturate the bottom half of the HDRI? Things like grass can cause annoying reflections. Adding a ground plane works with local reflections but it's not ideal. Though I guess if people want to do that they could just do it manually in Photoshop.
  • Joopson
    Online / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Being able to snap to grid while translating would be great; even better would be snap rotation. I love how Maya does it, where you hold J, and it snaps in whatever increments you've set.
  • final_fight
    Offline / Send Message
    final_fight polycounter lvl 9
    Is it possible to implement Blended Box (or Triplanar) UV mapping for meshes with no UVs like Dynamesh sculpts from Zbrush?
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I'm not sure if there is a way to do this or not, but if you want a characters eyes to glow, with a bloom (like have the glow come off the surface) is this possible? I can sorta achieve this if I just dial up the post effect bloom and mask the area I want in photoshop or something. But it would be nice to view it real time without the extra work.
  • EarthQuake
    Use emissive for the eyes, and turn up the intensity so that its much brighter than the rest of the scene, this will make it easier to adjust the bloom values to isolate the glow in that spot.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I'll play around with it some more, thanks EQ.
  • EarthQuake
    Thanks guys for all the feedback, sorry for not getting back sooner, but I am here reading/logging all of it.
    Is it possible to implement Blended Box (or Triplanar) UV mapping for meshes with no UVs like Dynamesh sculpts from Zbrush?

UV map creation is not something we are likely to support, thank you for the suggestion though.
  • --E--
    Offline / Send Message
    --E-- polycounter lvl 11
    A feature I would like to see in future versions is an option to display a list view of all of the materials (like toolbag 1 had) instead of having big spheres. When you have a scene with lots of materials it makes it a bit cumbersome to work with.

Keep up the good work!
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Any update on the reimport (perhaps auto-reimport) mesh functionality? Cheers.
  • Xianos
    Offline / Send Message
    Xianos polycounter lvl 9
    Hi guys, maybe there is already an answer to this question but is it possible to autoupdate an already loaded mesh in toolbag2? I use the obj format but read that there is a .mesh format especially for toolbag2. I have a huge scene with lots of single meshes and it´s a pain in the a** to replace them all

Thank you for your help
  • EarthQuake
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Auto-updating meshes is something we plan to add in the future; however, currently there is no specific ETA for that feature. It won't make it into 2.07, I can tell you that much at least.
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Cheers for the update, Joe.

Just a query, was there a real reason why the 'Apply' button for the materials was removed in 2.07? I always found dragging the materials to the meshes to be a bit awkward and preferred to select the meshes from the scene tree and hit apply. A few times I'll drag and the mesh won't update.

EDIT: Just realised you can drag and drop to the scene tree; that's pretty neat. That's me happy. :D
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Hi Wesley!

There were several changes made to the material system in order to try and make things a little better overall.

One of the changes was creating a material menu dropdown (next to "Scene"), where you can see all of the available material options and their shortcuts. The shortcut for applying your material to selection, is ctrl+shift+A.

You may also be interested to know that we've added the option for you to delete any unused materials from the scene by using that menu. And you can also save your currently selected material as the new default material which will be created any time you click "new".
  • tahakitan
    Offline / Send Message
    tahakitan polycounter lvl 9
    some phones are hard to navigate the viewer with. adding a drop down on the left side that can have easy phone rotation, zoom, move, and light rotation would really improve the experience on mobile device. right now, everyone I spoke to who used it on a phone thought they could just rotate and nothing else.
  • Joopson
    Online / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I wrote this in one of the other Marmoset threads, but figured it should be in the feedback thread instead:

One thing I would love is a temperature slider for lights, like you get with the heat emissive settings. I find myself copy-pasting blackbody RGB values to a light's colour pretty often, and it'd be great to skip that step, and just have a slider. Maybe with a checkbox, so you have the choice to either use hand-picked RGB or blackbody temperature.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Joopson wrote: »
    I wrote this in one of the other Marmoset threads, but figured it should be in the feedback thread instead:

One thing I would love is a temperature slider for lights, like you get with the heat emissive settings. I find myself copy-pasting blackbody RGB values to a light's colour pretty often, and it'd be great to skip that step, and just have a slider. Maybe with a checkbox, so you have the choice to either use hand-picked RGB or blackbody temperature.

Are you asking for lights to behave in this kind of manner?

colour-temperature.gif
  • Joopson
    Online / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Yes, that's exactly right.