Home Dota 2

Vayne4800's workshop

Replies

• belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    I think that the sword (middle part) is just too simple for the rest of the blade. Its basically one squiggly line going from top to bottom. As for the belt, I don't really understand why there are rocks on the sides. having that would cause sven's innards get poked all the time plus :).

The horns looks a little big maybe make it smaller just a bit.

The last thing would be the cyclops eye. Its not that its a bad idea, but sven wears a helmet. Meaning that you need little eye holes where the eyes are suppose to be.

I agree with the horns being a tad too big, not a big fan of how it 'flows'. I don't think the cyclops eye critique is valid though, specially when we have this helm ingame. There are no 'requirements' for Sven head slot items to function like a helm.

Anyway, the sculpt looks good! I think that the sword details could be a bit sharper though.
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    @Belkun, I always only called it a helmet because the materials from the default armor matches his head piece..
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks guys for the comments. Design elements are behind me now so I am moving forward.

Finished baking! Thanks to Chris and Nannou for their insights on Normal map baking magic.

Ox14890.jpg
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    My latest approach to baking better and cleaner maps (especially normal maps). Credits go to both Prophet9 and Nannou for sharing their knowledge with me.

Note: This is based on 3DS Max. Sorry maya/Blender/Modo users. Though I guess someone can pick up something useful from this.

Previously, I used to make cages from base low poly model by making them bigger through push modifier. Later it proved finiky for some projects with acute angles. It was a lot of pain as well to set up. Now that is when I compared it to using Ray Distance. It basically eliminates the need to use a cage. The time to getting a bake ready is pretty fast with this method. Now the issue with it is ofc that the ray distances are uniform everywhere. Meaning you cant capture both tight and wide areas at the same time.

I don't want to get too technical now as I myself haven't fully understood normal maps despite lots of reading and watching videos about it.

This method uses theoretically both a cage, or a virtual cage, and ray distance techniques in one go. Giving me an easy yet clean bakes compared to other methods I tried.

Ok lets get to it!

1: Setup XNormal to use Handplane: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133144

2: Have both your high poly and low poly models in 3DS Max.

3: Make a copy of your low poly. If it isn't a mesh, then add a "Edit Mesh" modifier.

4: To the same low poly copy, add a "Projection" modifier. In it, go to Cage tab and Tick "Shaded" and then in Push, increase Amount until you see the cage covers both the high and low poly models. You can tweak the projection mesh by clicking the plus sign next to Projection modifier and clicking cage, then going into vertice control (the three red dots under Selection tab in the same modifier). Though the movement of the vertices is pretty much free and not constraint to the normals. Still never had an noticeable issue doing so. Feel free to feedback otherwise.

5: When you are happy with the projection model. Go to Export and choose SBM as export format. The following window with a lot of ticks to choose from. Don't worry about them. Just click Export High Definition Mesh and Low Definition Mesh, respectively. So you will have two SBMs; The high poly one and the Projection Low Poly (Do not export the original Low Poly!!!).

6: Start up Xnormal and load both high and low poly SBMs as your high and low models for the bake. Make sure you choose Tangent Space in the Normal Map settings and have the Y-Channel at +Y (as Handplane plugin apprently bakes it inverted with -Y despite the setting in XNormal is being set at +Y).

7: Go to "Tools" in Xnormal and choose the Ray Distance Calculator. Choose your SBM and hit "Go". Notice it will calculate the Ray Distance (Duh!) based on the low poly cage. Stop it when the numbers are reasonable or basically give good results. You might need to re-iterate here for a bit. Generally though, don't let it calculate for too long (5-15 seconds are usually good) or you will get wierd results. Press "Copy Results" and then "Close"

8: I take it you would be familiar with Xnormal, so you would have your output folder and map size already set up. At this point, you can bake away!

9: You might need to repeat steps 4 and 7 to achieve better results. Though, through my experience, this method had me do the least amount of trials to get a good bake vs a hand made cage or purely using ray distance.

Please, if you find any errors in what I wrote or would like to add more information to this, then feel free to reply.
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Thank you つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Wouldn't the cage be just the same if you do it in xNormal natively?
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Wouldn't the cage be just the same if you do it in xNormal natively?

Well, the approach I mentioned is technically using a cage. The main difference is the ease of use and the fact that you can still play around, to an extent, with the Ray Distance. Added, modifying the cage in 3DS Max is a breeze vs modifying it in XNormal. Atleast to my experience.
  • Gumbata
    Offline / Send Message
    Gumbata polycounter lvl 7
    Hey @Vayne4800 Thanks for the tips!

I have two questions:
    1. Is there any difference between using SBM, FBX and OBJ in this particular case? Just curious :)
    2. On that screenshot, are you using shaded viewport+realistic mats and maps? Also is that just the normal map or ur using AO or AO+Gradient maps?

P.S. When you guys want to move a vert in the direction of the normals, select the vert and switch to Local Coordinate System :))

ZbFTjuG.png
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Gumbata.

Answering your questions:
    1. I believe, and haven't tested, that going SBM allows XNormal to do the Ray Distance calculation mentioned in step 7 which is very important. I don't know if XNormal can do that with the other file formats. Since SBM is specific to XNormal.
    2. My viewport is using DirectX with Smooth settings. The one you are mentioning is Nitrous engine with Realistic viewport setting, though I am not using that in the screenshot. Also note that I am using DirectX material with DotaHero 2.2 shader (can be found around here in PC). As for the maps, I am using normal map and also AO as the diffuse.

Thanks for the tip. Somehow after all this time, I never thought about such an option! Andumy also pointed that to me. Simple stuff but very powerful!
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is some progress on the Sven set I have been working on. Skinned and base paint is in. More work on diffuse will be done.

aJsrOVi.gif

P.S. Sorry for nighttime and weather effect. Lazy of me...
  • Coyo.Te
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    looks so strong so far! damn good job
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Get some color gradients in there, the metal looks very even right now in the sense that it all has the same shade of grey more or less.
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Some progress on diffuse paint. Getting there! Ofcourse no masks applied. I tried to add gradients where it felt needed via both a top down gradient for each item, a global top down gradient and brush with some falloff in 3DCoat. Any comments in this area are welcome. Next I will move on to adding some small details such as dirt and highlights.

qrlMx0A.jpg
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    More progress with diffuse. I believe it is getting there. Thanks to feedback from Hangout guys!

v9V8QdH.jpg

Let me know what you think?
  • Moffee
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm assuming the yellow spots on the armor (not blade) should emit light? IF so, paint in some cast light directly into the diffuse. And yeah, add some hue variations via gradients or other means, just not gold. Keep every material separate but variate within that space. Maybe reduce the AO a bit on the spots where dents etc are so they don't appear to cut as deeply into the blade as the engravings.
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    @Spudnik: Invaluable as ever. Thanks for the suggestions. I went ahead and added a purple hue that I picked from his leg armor.

Almost done with both diffuse and masks. Thanks a lot to Stefco for helping me replicate gold texture and shades!

wol_error.gifThis image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 885x900.3buY9Xb.jpg
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    With the shaders and such it's looking great now(really nailed the metal/gold look) but I can't help but want to see the eye in other colors/styles... Like a glowing light blue lens/orb look? Maybe one that has some self illumination? That has the potential to be really cool looking and offer a great contrast/highlight -- just think of how bright red it would turn when he uses his ult. Then maybe add another gold component to the helmet as it looks to be made of several different chunks of metal connected together.
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    @darkkyo; thanks for the feedback. I tried playing with selfillum but to our impression, it didn't look as good as the gold finish eye orb. As for color to blue or red, well, we honestly don't see it working on it. Added, the particle is white/gold/orange which we want to keep close to the default as players tend to outcry when too much change is introduced on particles.

We are now finalizing promo work and particles. So expect it to release soon.

I have started already working on my next set.

In the mean time, a quick item I am working on based on a concept from Double Leaf. Currently early base mesh. I think I captured the main features of the weapon and will do some more minor tweaking then take it to Zbrush for refining features and detailing.

mkrPfzj.jpg
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more work on TB blades (Excuse the slacky Red Mat!):

1YVJJkJ.jpg
  • Moffee
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    And here is the finished Item. We went ahead with what people thought to be a bulky design. As testing it ingame shows that it can work. Similar to how Manta style weapons worked on AM.

Edge of Dismay by Vayne and DoubleLeaf

200x200.resizedimage

GwlWBqZ.gif
    wol_error.gifThis image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x512.kwLw4we.jpg

Special thanks to Spunik for the Quick Map Save plugin for PS.
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Taking a small break from my latest set and working on this concept from Yuri. It is both the blade and the back sheath that goes with it.

3phI1O9.jpgBwII0x3.jpg

This is the concept:
    kT12RDM.jpg

Feel free to comment.
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    After some hickups, we are proud to present Oathbreaker's Armaments, a set for Sven. Complete with custom ability icons, loading screen and a custom particle for the head item. Thanks for Egor-Ursus for the concept, loading screen and ability icons and to Automedic for his custom particle effect.

P.S. Special thanks to Robo for his translation work as Egor doesn't speak english.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTskJWIRX40"]Oathbreaker's Armaments - Sven Set - YouTube[/ame]

sBOQ4wg.jpg

200x200.resizedimage200x200.resizedimage200x200.resizedimage200x200.resizedimage
    200x200.resizedimage200x200.resizedimage200x200.resizedimage200x200.resizedimage
    (Links in thumbs)

ScVntYH.jpgxSceWSg.gif
  • StuBurrito
    Offline / Send Message
    StuBurrito polycounter lvl 7
    Wow Vayne you've really been putting some work on this one. Nice!
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks StuBurrito. I try to do more on each set I work on.
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    My second animation project and first ward made into the game, though through a tournament ticket bundle. It is available here:

http://www.dota2.com/store/itemdetails/20666?r=ca

fairy_dragon_npc_dota_observer_wards_large.6dd71a852d46f5695a9f2fc7db472853acd3b00f.png

This kinda makes me a hypocrite as I am always against bundling with tourneys and pro teams. As can be clearly seen in this last patch, this is a direction to make a lot of workshop submissions move and get into the game.

I am still working hard to get my work in vanilla form and one day, I believe I will achieve that.

Special thanks to everyone around here as your support directly or indirectly helped me a lot to continue on this adventurous path!
  • Coyo.Te
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Congrats mate, regardless of how it got in, you still got something ingame. Valve still has the final say, even on tournament ticket items.
  • cottonwings
    Congrats Vayne!! Hope one day you'll unleash your true vanilla form with the power of love and friendshi- oh wait.
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. Baby steps I guess!

Been a while since I posted any of my work. So here is my current project. A Tiny tree of a concept by Madshock. I feel I am halfway through the sculpt and it is still missing one element. Not sure how the UV space and tris limits will be but I guess that will be the fun part!

Crits are rare these days so don't hold back to give some!

PPTkOM1.jpg
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
  • SeveOJ
    Looks sick dude! I'd love a shot of Reactive Armor activated. Interesting that you went for spikes instead of blades.
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    (Cross Post)

Finally, it has been a bumpy ride for all of us who worked on this set but we believe it turned out great. Lumberclaw set for Timbersaw comes with all items replacements, loading screen and custom particles for spells and chainsaw.

Honestly I never thought it will be this daunting to make a set for Timbersaw. He is huge! Especially with the tight texture budget on the shoulders item. Additionally, get the reactive armor tested is not straight forward.

Modeling and base texture by Vayne
    Texture finalization and loading screen by Oroboros [Red Moon]
    Particles and SFM video by Drew Carrymore

We would appreciate your support for our latest work.

cdFk0Ga.jpg
    (Link in image)

U0YAeDj.gif

Custom Q Spell:
    A82jbf9.gif

Custom Chakram:
    xij4NP8.gif

Custom Chainsaw Particle:
    wQWZYMd.gifVd60j9R.gif

Portrait View:
    BLY5i6j.gif

BkxWrGy.jpg
    QCtBoco.jpg

P.S. Sorry for the spam!
  • bounchfx
    holy shit, fantastic work Vayne! I almost forgot about that set. You definitely did it justice! this mofo is gonna get me playing Timber again gotdam
  • Potm
    Offline / Send Message
    Potm keyframe
    it looks so evilllll and well donee~~~~ love the head piece which gives him a even more evil look~
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
  • quockhanhlk
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    awesome work guys, awesome work !
  • mihalceanu
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    gz man :) ,really well done , keep it up!
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    oh wow. finally it ended up awesome :)
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone. Your support is highly valued. After all the frustration that is the workshop, making something that gets good reaction is a welcome feeling and pushes me to positivity.
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    After a hiatus and lots of crunching, I finished my work for the New Bloom 2015! In collaboration with Red Moon and other artists who all worked to make The Dark Lotus Bundle which can be viewed at www.thedarklotus.com

I worked on the Nature Prophet Set which was a new challenge for me. He is almost completely transformed but since Valve kept asking artists to make something that isn't similar to existing stuff. I hope you like it as much as I did.

OsMXqMq.jpg
    exlGQOq.jpg
    COyOcO0.jpg
    presentation_gif.gif
    presentation_bot.png
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    I really like the main set itself, every single piece of it is great, however, I can't say I'm a big fan of the staff. It looks a bit unfinished and I'm not sure if it fits with the set. While on the set there are several layered materials and pieces, the staff looks like an extremely simple flower on a stick. The way both of them are 'connected' doesn't seem right, and the piece looks a bit rushed and 'cheap'.

I also have a bit of a problem with the summon, because it really doesn't look like a treant at all, but instead something like a boar from Beastmaster or even a courier, and that is surely going to cause a lot of confusion ingame, since I also took a while to figure out that it was actually a treant, and some friends had the same problem.

The promotional page, while incredibly well made and just straight up next level, is quite a bit misleading, and probably intentionally so, and I fear that may (or may not) influence Valve when reviewing the collection.

Still, the main set is fire, despite a couple of gripes with some items, the actual 'clothing' looks great!
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Ha, the page finally loaded !

So yeah I have to agree that while the presentation sure is slick, it seems a bit dangerous to basically attempt to make it look like an official Valve update. I feel like the sets stand out on their own and do not need that !

It's great to see them shown as big renders on a scrolling layout though. Tough call !
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    @Belkun: Glad you liked the set man! As for the weapon, we initially started with a staff that looks like pretty much a shaped stick, as is with most of his weapons. Considering the darker tone of the set as well, we decided to go for a flower because there was only one flower for him and ours is significantly different, atleast we think so. That said, I did zero mirroring on the texture because of time limitation and the flower section was complex, for me atleast, to retopologize and bake. It heavily relies on alpha. With that said, I should have managed some radial mirroring to get sharper bakes. Still, relative to other staves, it falls within the "detailed enough" as per our judgement. I might agree on the connection area though, but it isn't a focal spot.

As for treant, we went all in and dived for it. From testing ingame in motion, the treant can almost never be confused by a courier or boar due to it's size, silhouette, texture and count. We guess that the initial impression to it will be similar to any new treant design initial impression during a match "eh whose controlled creature is this!?". Again, this is all based on our impression and yes, it is a risky approach. With the current trend of rejected sets due to them looking "too similar to existing" ones, we opted for this. I admit my reply is heavily opinionated and respect your POV.

As for website stuff, it was done before and I was not directly involved in the that decision. I personally think it polarized the community about it.

I am happy that I am done with this and can take a long break to focus on my new PC!
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    It has been a while since I updated in this place that I can sense all the dust settling in.

Here is a dump of animations I did for a ward concepted/textured by Madshock and modeled by Blossomalex. It was on my desk for far too long for crazy and silly reasons. Thanks to the patience of my team, I managed to finish it and I believe it to be my best animation yet. It isn't perfect but I believe it works.

OffbeatElementaryIsabellinewheatear.gif

CautiousDizzyDeermouse.gif

PowerlessHardtofindDachshund.gif

FarawayBitterAmericanshorthair.gif

Again, they aren't perfect and some can catch some "small" abnormalities, but in the scale of things, I kinda called it.
  • Drew Carrymore
    What's with the jittering on the first couple of frames of the death animation? Is that an error with the gif?
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spawn: Nice and snappy, could use a tiny bit or rotation/asymmetry in how it goes up.
    Idle: Seems a bit too 'even', everything seems to be moving at a constant speed with very soft curves which makes everything a bit floaty and slow-mo-y
    Idle_rare: Same crits as idle. The sword pullout is nice but could be smidge faster. The sword waving is super cute but a bit stiff, add some variations to where he points the sword after the swing.
    Death: Like the spawn, a bit too symmetrical and perfect. The head doesn't look like it has weight and the sword seems to defy gravity just a tiny bit :P Needs some bouncing on the head and body when they hit the ground.

Keep it up!
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    @Drew: Yes it is due to the gif recording.

@Spudnik: Thanks for the feedback man. Seems to be stuff that I can fix in one sitting.
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    btw, are ur normals reversed?