Home Dota 2

Shork's Workshop(I only do concepts)

Replies

• down_limit
    Offline / Send Message
    down_limit polycounter lvl 10
    a weapon of gold looks really original and dangerous!
    I would like to know what Hanni thinking about your set concept for the sniper?
  • ShorkGamer
    Offline / Send Message
    ShorkGamer polycounter lvl 7
    down_limit wrote: »
    a weapon of gold looks really original and dangerous!
    I would like to know what Hanni thinking about your set concept for the sniper?
    I worked very very closely with H4nn1 he saw every little step of the concept - even little ones that I never posted here. The idea of the gun was his own as well as the hat and the little bag.:thumbup:

Btw. I am still looking for someone to collab on it. :-D
  • whatever
    Damn I would want to work on that set,but can't right now.Good luck
  • ShorkGamer
    Offline / Send Message
    Ty, I hope that I will find someone. The set will rock when it is done. :D
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    How do you hold that gun in order to fire the trigger? It seems to be in a very impractical position that would make it hard to hold like a traditional rifle.
  • ShorkGamer
    Offline / Send Message
  • [NB] Mohsen
    Offline / Send Message
    [NB] Mohsen polycounter lvl 3
    The Spirit of the Howling wolf set looks very similar to this concept, except for the weapon..
  • ShorkGamer
    Offline / Send Message
    FINALLY - my tax stuff got accepted!!!
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    The concept doesn't really look consistent, to be honest, but instead like a bunch of different ideas shoehorned together. There's no overall theme, no guiding idea. Other than that, I don't understand the weapon, it doesn't look like a gun to me, especially not one a master gunman would use. The H4nn1 logo is way too simple/on the nose, and as a general rune of thumb, sets are way better off without ingame branding. The silhouette of the set isn't interesting besides the hat and, like Mohsen said, it's basically the same as pior's Howling Wolf but nowhere near as interesting. For me, this does not work as a set as it stands.

I've noticed that with every update you post on your concept, almost nothing changes which results in a page filled with what could be the same image 5-10 times. Take a step backwards, block out some different silhouettes using only black, no colors, no greys, the more the better, all of them as different from each other as possible. Select the ones you like best. Repeat this as often as you like, each time you'll be refining your ideas, finding new solutions and getting new ideas. Once you think you're on to something, then start trying to define the concept with different shades of grey or colors. Again, repeat the process from earlier, do as many variations as different as possible and select the best from them. Do this until you have a great concept. A great concept isn't a great painting, a great concept is a great idea. Refine your idea, and the concept follows.

Sorry, this came out more brutal than I thought, but take some time and think about the issues raised and try to apply the techniques mentioned. I'd invite concept artists to chime in and share their techniques for finding and refining a concept as well.
  • MagnoHusein
    Gotta agree with Spudnik.

The set looks totally off dota style, I'm not only talking about shapes or technical concept stuff, but looks like it belongs to a total different universe.

What role is Sniper playing with this set? The base idea is everything, but that is what is undefined for me. Is he a hunter? a marksman? an explorer? a mad engineer with a gun?

Try to figure out what idea you want to show first, after that it gets easier to filter the elements, but be sure that they belong to dota 2 universe.
  • ShorkGamer
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't rework it any further - I have to complete my A-Levels.
    As a result I would need a second concept artist for that - but I am already in contact with a little team from Iran that will do the set with me, I will try to improve it with them.

Thanks for the feedback. :-)
  • ShorkGamer
    Offline / Send Message
    UzFFKPy.jpg

Smth very retro - done in 15min as practice - up for graps. :-)
  • ShorkGamer
    Offline / Send Message
    http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=441497420
    Puplished a new set with Nebula and Keinhangia. :-)

Next Stop: Meepo if everything proceeds as planned.