Home Dota 2

Belkun's Workshop

Replies

• danjohncox
    Offline / Send Message
    danjohncox polycounter lvl 7
    Loving the current NP you're doing man! and love seeing your twitch stream! I think I'm gonna toss up my own next weekend. Any issues making one?

as for the treant, the proportions seem to be an issue right now. The concept is much thinner or taller which I think works nicely. Yours is getting a little too stumpy right now imo. and I love that concept by artypi but now that I'm seeing the model those hands don't seem to fit the design. Very clawlike and not deer like. If anything maybe they just follow the design cues from the feet (being stumpyier in the hand region)? or is that a rigging and animation limitation? As for those leaves, careful that they don't get too furry looking, keep those leaves flat instead of thick like bunches of fur.

Looking forward to seeing this get finished! its coming along great!
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    @danjohncox

Streaming is super easy! OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) is probably the best software to do it, and it's also pretty straightforward.

Yeah, I got a bit carried away making it all stumpy, haha! I'll need to change some stuff around, I will get on that tomorrow. I didn't work that much on the hands, so it's not close to what I want, but I really appreciate the suggestions, and I agree that they're a bit stumpy right now. About the leaves, that's exactly the problem that I plan to solve tomorrow. They look too much like fur, and that's not what I want. I'll get some extra references of leaves from items currently in-game so I can make them look good :D

Thanks a lot for the feedback and for watching the stream!
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Hmmm.... you may have to go with layered alphas to get the affect you're going for with the leaves
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    @Sukotto

Yeah, it can be one way of doing that. I'm currently trying to go for something like this, which is a shoulder for Nature's Prophet:

jMgBc4I.jpg

I believe that this is pretty much a perfect match to the style I want, and i'll try to do something similar to it.

Today's stream is starting now!

http://www.twitch.tv/belkuns
  • Coyo.Te
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    belkun wrote: »
    @Coyo.Te

Haha! I can't unsee that now!

guess what?! I know! ^^
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Giant nose, begone! Now it actually looks like an eye, with a defined nose and ears. I'm also trying to get a look with layered leaves on the neck and back, and that's what I got so far. Would love some thoughts on it.

rc0vNz4.jpg
  • hayes87
    Offline / Send Message
    hayes87 polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Belkun,
    really liked the ears, theres some small things I notice though,
    the horns silhoutte is kinda different from the concept, the tail too but mostly when looking from behind, maybe making the tail a little more puffy on the sides would help, also the thumbs are little longer than the concept making it look more like a hand than a claw.
    6aFNY1B.jpg
    hope any of this crit helps =)
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    @hayes

That is suuuper helpful! Thanks a bunch mate!

I did some slight changes to the horns angle, added some sort of nails and shortened the thumb and did some adjustments to the tail. They're still not quite where I want them to be, specially the horns, but they're a bit better.

mMpZZar.jpg

I'm also thinking about starting those leaves from scratch. I don't like how they flow and they're a bit too simple right now.

Stream is up!

http://www.twitch.tv/belkuns
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Here's today's progress:

GoxWapo.jpg

I'm suuuper tired! I probably could have used a insert mesh brush for the leaves, but for some reason I decided to keep duplicating and placing them manually with transpose.

As always, I really appreciate critique!
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    i have to say, i like the concept head alot more because its *more tree* and less animal.
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Shock wrote: »
    i have to say, i like the concept head alot more because its *more tree* and less animal.

Yeah, the original concept looks a lot more like a tree, but the eyes weren't reading that well, so we decided to change some stuff, like adding the ears and nose, so it reads more like an animal and also goes with our deer theme.
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    still the original concept is also more mythical in its designline. it gives the tree something that i would buy him. now the actual one looks like a boring pokemon :( sry for my harsh words.. i rly loved the concept.. and btw to me the eyes are very much readable.
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    I can't unsee nose. I think compared to the concept, your head is way longer. Pushing the snout in to make it more tear drop shaped instead of nose will help it alot.

I think the eyes should probably be a bit lower too? They seem correct for a natural/anatomical perspective, but in the concept they are way lower, like along the jawline.

I think any major tells you can add to separate this from a clear animal, to a summoned hunk of tree will help you push it out of the realm of "Shock Pokemon"
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    @Shock

Haha, don't worry! Different opinions are always welcome! I agree that the concept is indeed more mythical, but everyone had different opinions about the old eye, so that's why we changed it.

@heboltz3

They are indeed lower on the concept, but again, we changed it so it read better, since it wasn't looking like an eye. And about the face, I'm still messing with it. An elongated face looks more like a deer, which is the theme, but a more pudgier face is a bit cuter and different, so we're trying to go for something in the middle.

Here's a more recent paintover Arty did yesterday with the face:

LB8QgAC.png

I'm working really close with Arty, so we're always talking about it and possibly doing changes. Don't worry about me straying too far from the concept or anything like that, I always check with the concept artist first before doing any big changes.

Keep the suggestions coming! They really help a lot :D
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Planning on working on the hooves and refine a bit of the main silhouette today. A bit more light than yesterday's work I hope, haha.

Starting the stream very soon: http://twitch.tv/belkuns
  • cagdasx44
    Why cant I watch your stream on my phone.
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    cagdasx44 wrote: »
    Why cant I watch your stream on my phone.

Not sure about that, it may be something in your end. I just tried to watch it using the TwitchTV app for iPhone and it worked fine D:
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Some refinement and extra touches today! Adjusted the face a bit making it less elongated, rotated the horns so they have a better silhouette from the front, made the ear more reminiscent of deer ears, added symmetry to the leaves, made the arm a bit thinner and repositioned it a little, more work on the fingers such as moving them so they look more like claws, work on the hooves and the flowers! So far me an Arty are both happy with how it's looking :D

NnPBp2c.jpg

Tomorrow I plan on doing lots and lots of clean up, especially on the wooden body, maybe adding an extra sub-d and start some details. I may also add some extra flowers to the arm to make it less boring, and if possible, lay down some base colors.
  • cagdasx44
    It looks amazing. I dont think it is necessary to say more.
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Sculpt is really close to being done! Just need lots of cleanup on the wood, which was really tough to nail, but thanks everyone so much who helped me with some tips and extra references <3

Hayes helped me A LOT cleaning up a bit of the shape, adjusting some proportions and on the face, which now resembles the original concept a bit more, with less of that "Pok
  • waffles.c
    Offline / Send Message
    waffles.c polycounter lvl 5
    looks really good dude :)
  • christermime
    Offline / Send Message
    christermime polycounter lvl 8
    this is coming along really nicely! It's got a real del Toro vibe in the knotting of the wood
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks guys!

Here's one last update for the night. A lot cleaner, and thanks to some suggestions I angled him a bit backwards and moved his front legs a bit forward so it looks more balanced.

cl3SlC8.jpg

Still, if any of you can think of any suggestions or critique, feel free to say it! Otherwise, I think that I'll start laying down some colors tomorrow :D
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Well, that's it for today I think! I believe that the treant and the set are done! Just need to wait for Arty to finish off the staff and I'll start on it right away :D

bPYaynB.jpg

As always, thank you all so much for the support!
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
  • danjohncox
    Offline / Send Message
    nice! those leaves are looking a tad repetative. Mostly due to the size of them all being the same and the colours all being the exact same. Maybe toss on some mask by polygroup and change up the size and colour of some? I think that would really make those sing. in case you didn't know I'm referring to this
    4R5-Brush-AutoMasking.jpg

Can really help to just break those up some more. Can't wait to see this finished up Belkun!
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    @danjohncox

Yeah, I planned to do this as I said on the Workshop thread, but I forgot to do an AutoGroup, and now I have a 4m tris mesh with only one polygroup, if I try to do it ZBrush just hangs. I'll see if I can solve this, but if not, the colors can easily be changed once we get to texturing. Also, I'm not sure if I can change the size of them individually, even with a mask.

Thanks a lot for the input!
  • danjohncox
    Offline / Send Message
    oh whoops! didn't see that answer there on that thread. As for the scaling, I'm mostly thinking just using the move tool to enact the scaling. It's not super direct or 100% consistent but since these are leaves I'm thinking that should work just fine
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Managed to get something in for this month's competition while I have some free time :D

200x200.resizedimage
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Turned out nice
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks Baddcog!

Starting on the staff for the NP set! Did some lowpolies for the set but didn't stream it, since I like to take a bit of time with the retopo instead of doing it all day as I do with ZBrush.

Here's the stream! http://twitch.tv/belkuns
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Here's some progress on the staff:

RMNZXcZ.jpg

The bottom is supposed to be a hoof, but it doesn't look quite like the way it should, probably need to be less flat and more round. On the other hand, I think that I'm getting a quite nice wood sculpt, much better than the first try on the treant.
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Some more work on the staff:

kT14IUj.jpg
  • MagnoHusein
    Nice Staff! Are you finished with the colors? Too much brown makes it not so interesting... make some break ups in the colors and you are golden :thumbup:
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Nice Staff! Are you finished with the colors? Too much brown makes it not so interesting... make some break ups in the colors and you are golden :thumbup:

I'm going to make the part near the little hoof on the bottom more green tinted, along with maybe a more pronounced blue lighting on the staff's "head" some general color variation and some more saturation/vibrance on the wood, but I'll do that later on through Photoshop, since ZBrush doesn't have the best tools for coloring.

Thanks a lot for the feedback <3
  • Potm
    Offline / Send Message
    Potm keyframe
    i like the trees a lot, should make it into a courier instead XD
  • Strimax
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks guys!

I think that I'm done with lod0 and all the bakes! Now onto lod1, organize the textures and rig it! Though I'm probably going to work on the treant before doing the rigging.

sji8xIs.jpg
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Been a week since I posted something, so here are some updates! Base textures on the NP set are done! Arty is now doing some magic on them, while I'm trying to fix some skinning stuff and finish the treant lowpoly.

pQ27ybr.jpg

I'm also working on a sword for Skywrath Mage with BladeOfEvilsBane!

KnynF9G.jpg
  • danjohncox
    Offline / Send Message
    ohh! i really like that skywrath sword! Curious, how much was done in zbrush and how much was done in a traditional modelling package? I ask cause the blade and similar details are so so clean I'm curious how you did em if you did them in zbrush.
    Long winded question is long winded.
  • SLIMEface
    Offline / Send Message
    SLIMEface polycounter lvl 7
    That skywrath sword is cool, wonder how it will look with his animations.
  • Jarm
    Love the staff! Very appealing form and surface treatment
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    @danjohncox

It was pretty much 100% Maya, haha! Blade didn't want any scratches or anything like that, so the only thing I'm doing on ZBrush is smooth out some edges and the polypaint.

@SLIMEface

Thanks! The animations were a problem that Blade though we would have and why he didn't give the concept to anyone, but I really liked it and it prompted me to check every single animation on the model viewer, and I don't think that I'll have much problems, the only one that may be awkward is the teleportation one where he holds the weapon with both hands, but all of the other ones should work fairly well. However, if we have any problems, we may do some custom animations :D

@Jarm

Thank you!
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Got the Skywrath sword lowpoly done and in-game! Still needs lots of texture work though :D

QYCvW4D.jpg
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    Belkun. I am love. You and Matty are a killer team. Keep up the work my man!
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    heboltz3 wrote: »
    Belkun. I am love. You and Matty are a killer team. Keep up the work my man!

Thank you man <3

THE BLUE SUN WILL RISE
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Treant lowpoly and base textures are DONE! I may do some tweaks on the mesh, but for now it's finished! I think that my work on the NP set is almost done for the moment, just need to do the masks later. In the meantime, Arty is working on the textures and hayes will soon begin some rigging and animations :D

5u9Lsiw.jpg
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    A sneak peek of the NP set ingame!

SYNrWLM.jpg

We're still tweaking some colors and masks, and I still gotta deal with lots of stuff on the mantle skinning, but it's getting really really close to finished :D

Here's a shot from Marmoset:

jgOMfTn.jpg

Again, it's still pretty much WIP, especially the treant, but I think that it's coming along nicely :)
  • kendmd
    Offline / Send Message
    kendmd polycounter lvl 5
    Awesome work!

I think the leaves on the treant can be more simplified and stylised and also more color variation as groups. Like this example you are giving here http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2001346&postcount=155

Right now it just looks too uninteresting and a tad bit busy because of the leaf veins and the value variations on individual leaves.