Home Technical Talk

RTTassist - 3dsmax toolset for RTT automation.

Replies

• miauu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miauu polycounter lvl 14
    My installer is different than textools installer, but the problem is not that RTTAssist is encrypted. You don't have permission to wright files so you have to run 3ds max as administrator or to run windows as administrator. :)
  • Norman3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norman3D polycounter lvl 14
    miauu wrote: »
    My installer is different than textools installer, but the problem is not that RTTAssist is encrypted. You don't have permission to wright files so you have to run 3ds max as administrator or to run windows as administrator. :)

Hey miauu! I think a work-around would be to keep all RTTAssist files under $userscripts. You should not need admin rights to read/write files from there.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    yep, just copy all files to the user scripts/ icons/.. folders that don't require admin permission from Windows. Windows Vista and 7 users might get some permission dialogues but on limited accounts (uni, companies,..) it wont work.
  • miauu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miauu polycounter lvl 14
  • OtrickP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OtrickP polycounter lvl 9
    <3 RTTassist, Saved so much time on my latest project. I highly recommend getting comfortable with this plug! and donating ofc. Thanks a ton!
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    I'm having an odd problem with explode and my naming conventions. Explode does not seem to recognize my named groups. (max '11)

I have:
    LP_elec box
    HP_elec box
    HP_elec box_floaters

When I explode, LP_elec box and HP_elec box explode together fine. But HP_elec box_floaters is left behind like a piece of low poly geometry without a pair. No matter how I rename it it I cannot get it to partner with my low poly geometry. This is true for all my high poly meshes using a '_' - they explode on their own, not with their group.

eg. HP_something_detail will not explode with HP_something and LP_something.

EDIT: Image: 6oeFO.png The blue floaters will not explode, the yellow marked floaters explode, but move separately from their group.
  • walter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    walter polycounter lvl 14
    I tested and approved: very useful and time saving.
    Congratulations !
  • miauu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miauu polycounter lvl 14
    fearian, wtch this video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqQBTeTEKlI[/ame]

I don't have max2011, but in max2009 there is no problem with names that you use.
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CodeFather polycounter lvl 15
    fearian wrote: »
    I'm having an odd problem with explode and my naming conventions. Explode does not seem to recognize my named groups. (max '11)

I have:
    LP_elec box
    HP_elec box
    HP_elec box_floaters

Fearian, I've just tested the script in max 2011 with similar to your scene using the exact same names as you've provided and do not have any problems with the explode function, everything is fine. Please, read the post #35, it refers to a similar problem and how to fix it:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1294731&postcount=25

I'll recommend you to try using the BuildPairs function on the problematic object pair that you've shown in the picture. (Be aware that BuildPairs will mess your names and generate its own). Just select the objects that you want to pair (LP_elec box, HP_elec box, HP_elec box_floaters), hit the BuildPairs button once and then use the explode button. Please tell me if that helped.
  • HornyRhino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HOW DO I INSTAL THIS GOD LIKE SCRIPT?!?!?!?! when ever i try to install by dragging the RTTAssistInstall.mse into max and pressing install it says installation error! i downloaded Max 2008+ version i am using (3ds max 2011 64bit win 7) please help... maybe i am doing something wrong thanks! GODLIKE!!
  • HornyRhino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok never mind :P was using download manager so it was turning it into a compressed folder... did not understand why :P now it works... time for some alone time with my pc :)
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    My current recommendation is to NOT use the explode function of this script. I have found that just using the 'isolate pairs' checkbox works perfectly and removes any need to 'explode' anything. I can't seem to get the AO map through MR to produce good results, everything is jaggy and very very low res no matter what resolution I author it to.
  • miauu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miauu polycounter lvl 14
    chaosquack wrote: »
    ... the 'isolate pairs' checkbox works perfectly and removes any need to 'explode' anything.

Almost remove the need of "explode".
    The "explode" and the "isolate pairs" use tha same algorythm to separate pairs, so you can use "explode" to check if there are any errors - like the @fearian problems a few comments above. If the "explode" can't group pairs correctly(for some reasons) - the "isolate pairs" also can make a mistake and the baked maps will be wrong.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    I have a question regarding padding while baking multiple objects.

I assume, even when RTTassist combines the maps "on-the-fly", it bakes all the maps separatly, then merge them based on their alpha.
    If so, if your padding is like 20 pixels on your base maps, it will cause overlapping.
    On the other hand, if your padding isn't big enough, it will cause bleeding with mipmaps (which is maybe not a big issue with normal maps, but annoying with lightmaps or AO).
    A way to avoid that, is to render with no padding at all (no anti-aliasing?), and once everything is merged, create the "dilatation" a la Xnormal filter, based on the combined alphas.

Do you think it could be possible to implement such process in RTT assist ?
    Or at least, combine the alphas and keep it in the file, so the dilatation could be done afterwards in photoshop with Xnormal filter ?
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors wrote: »
    I assume, even when RTTassist combines the maps "on-the-fly", it bakes all the maps separately, then merge them based on their alpha.

That's correct. The combine maps feature layers the separate bakes on top of each other and use their alpha to isolate their background.I see what you are talking about, and you're right about this particular problem. My advice is not to use unappropriate edge padding and to use it wise.Also always ensure that there is enough space between the UV islands(20px edge padding and UVs that are layout too tight ,without much space between the individual UV islands, is not good thing to do :P).

Noors wrote: »
    Or at least, combine the alphas and keep it in the file, so the dilatation could be done afterwards in photoshop with Xnormal filter ?

This in fact is a good idea,and will be definitely integrated in the next small update for sure ! 10x for the feedback, Noors !:)
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Yeah for now we shouldn't use fancy padding, but it gives better result to fill all the gaps with an outline dilatation than with an average color (which is not always easy to determine)
    Thank you for taking into consideration !
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RTTassist v1.3
    hline.gif

RTTassist version 1.3 is available! The new additions are due to @chaosquack and @Noors' requests (thank you guys for the suggestions! Any new ideas are welcome. Also don't forget to thank Kostadin ("miauu") if you find them useful :].

The links in the first post are updated so you can download it from there or you can let the auto update do its work :) Here is the changelog for the new version:

* New projection spinner is added.
    * Saving the scene will no longer store the objects in their exploded state.(Objects will implode on save and will be exploded back once the save operation is complete.)
    * Combined maps now include properly rendered alpha channel.
    * The issues with the installer are fixed (@Norman3D, @renderhjs, 10x a lot for the tips! )

TIP: the new projection spinner explained

CagePushTip.gif

LMB + Click = on the spinner arrows will increase or decrease the cage size of all objects by 0,01 step. You can enter an amount directly in the spinner by typing it in.

MMB + Click = will update the auto-wrap option for every projection modifier in the scene.

RMB + Click = will reset the projection cage for all objects.

Cheers!
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Hey guys, thank you for the update !
    A correct combined alpha will ease a lot the process of dilatation, but it still requires an extra step in photoshop with the xnormal filter.

Could you take a look at mimic the xnormal dilatation directly with your script, to add extra padding after and get totally rid of the "multiple objects baking pain in max" ?

Now, big request ! I'd like to automate the baking on multiple sets of selection (batch all my lighmaps calculation based on selection sets). Any way to access rtt assist parameters/functions via maxscript since you choose to encrypt stuff ?

I'd like vray elements support, but i think it's on your roadmap already.

Thank you very much ! I'll make a wee donation for support.
  • miauu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miauu polycounter lvl 14
    HI, Noors!
    I hope you can understand what I want to say(my english sometime is .... very very bad) :)
    I
    n the last two years I was unemployed, but now I have a job and I don't have time to developing RTTassist very fast. I spend almost all my day(from 6 am to 8 pm) working.
    The RTTAssist took us(me and CodeFather) 4,5 monts - he gives the ideas I write the code and during those four months I spent 10 hours a day(almost every day) writing rttasstst.
    A month ago we started adding the Vray support, but my PC is too old now and I can use only Vray 1.5 SP2. Since SP3(or Sp4) the almost entire vray baking elements was changed.
    This not meen that the futur developing of RTTAssist is stoped. We will continue working on it but not so fast.
    Now, big request ! I'd like to automate the baking on multiple sets of selection (batch all my lighmaps calculation based on selection sets).
    This is something that I can't fully understand. I will ask CodeFather to explain me what you want and maybe someday this will be added to RTTAssist.

Best Regards!
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    I see :) I understand you don't want to share a code that you spent nights on, but it also limits the benefits for users who can't adapt it to their specific needs. I know it's a good tool, for free, and we all thank you for it. It's probably the perfect tool to generate maps for a few specific objects, but i would need it for more automated tasks : lightmaps generation, because our editor sucks, and we do them with vray. It's a bit frustrating because it's almost there.

Anyway, what i meant, is i'd like a way to launch your script from my script with predefined parameters. So i guess it would require that you give public access to some of your encrypted functions.
    I'm no developper, just a casual scripter for my specific "artist" needs. I totally don't know how this could be done nor if it's possible.
  • piorun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi
    How to install this tool? When I simply extracted archive and run RTTAssistInstall.mse (by drag & drop to max window) and then click 'install' it says: 'Installation error!!!'. I'm doing something wrong?
  • miauu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miauu polycounter lvl 14
    You have to drag and drop the .mzp to max window(don't extract).

Noors - with the new version of the RTTAssist you can render diferent selection sets of objects. Just wait CodeFather to upload the new mzp files on the official site ot turn on the auto check for update. :)
  • piorun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yeah. I've extracted because downloaded file had .zip extension. Now it install fine. But can't use it. I'm getting error when I would like to do something (explode, project etc.): '-- Type error: Call needs function or class, got: undefined'. I'm using 3ds max 9 SP2 32 bit.
  • miauu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miauu polycounter lvl 14
    Strange. Did you download the max9 version? And can you send me what is in the maxscript listener when the error occure?
  • piorun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes - correct version.
    when click on 'Explode' button:
    -- Error occurred in explodeObj(); filename: C:\Documents and Settings\piorun\Ustawienia lokalne\Dane aplikacji\Autodesk\3dsmax\9 - 32bit\enu\scripts\RTTAssistUI\RTTAssist.mse; position: 162787
    -- Defined in encrypted script
    -- called in ImgTag_ExplodeImplode.lbuttonup(); filename: C:\Documents and Settings\piorun\Ustawienia lokalne\Dane aplikacji\Autodesk\3dsmax\9 - 32bit\enu\scripts\RTTAssistUI\RTTAssist.mse; position: 277448
    >> MAXScript Rollout Handler Exception: -- Type error: Call needs function or class, got: undefined <<

when click on 'Project' button:
    -- Error occurred in addProjMain(); filename: C:\Documents and Settings\piorun\Ustawienia lokalne\Dane aplikacji\Autodesk\3dsmax\9 - 32bit\enu\scripts\RTTAssistUI\RTTAssist.mse; position: 183060
    -- called in btn_AddProjMod.lbuttonup(); filename: C:\Documents and Settings\piorun\Ustawienia lokalne\Dane aplikacji\Autodesk\3dsmax\9 - 32bit\enu\scripts\RTTAssistUI\RTTAssist.mse; position: 317193
    >> MAXScript Rollout Handler Exception: -- Type error: Call needs function or class, got: undefined <<
  • miauu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miauu polycounter lvl 14
    For some reason the avg_dlx90.dlx is not copyed to maxroot/plugins directory.
    Extract the mzp file, get the avg_dlx90.dlx(32 or 64 bit) and put it to maxroot/plugins directory and restart max. :)
  • piorun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Now it works as should :> Also thank you for tool itself - it looks very usefull. Now I must check how it will works in real workflow :)
  • RhinoRage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

I have an error when trying to install RTTassit v1.3 (also tried v1.1 and v1.2) to 3DsMax9 using the max9 version of the script by dragging and dropping it into the viewport, or trying to run the script manually.
    ---------------------------
    MAXScript FileIn Exception
    -- Syntax error: at bad, expected <factor>
    --  In line: 
    OK   

Any help getting this sorted would be much appreciated.

Cheers!
  • miauu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miauu polycounter lvl 14
    RhinoRage, I have no problems with ver.1.1 and 1.2. If you install ver.13 for the first time(no previous installation) you will have problem like piorun. This is fixed in ver1.4(will be released tomorow or the day after).
    I think that you use 3ds max 9 with no SP, but this is only a suggestion.Since max9 Sp1 or Sp2 the autodesk added the new encryption method for mse files, and if you have max9 without SP's you can't use the rtt assist.
    My advise is to run the mzp, Uninstall the script, and to wait the ver.14.
  • RhinoRage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey miauu,

Ye I forgot to mention that I have the SP1 version of Max9, is there no way I can install RTTassist (even 1.4) with SP1 or do I need to look into getting SP2?

Thanks! :D
  • miauu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miauu polycounter lvl 14
    Version 1.4 is available. Check the first post of this thread to download it or get advantage of the auto update feature. The addition to the new version is that now RTTassist can render at once different groups of objects on separate texture maps. All you need to do is to put your objects in different selection sets and when you are ready to render, first click on the "Sel. Set" checkbox located in the Preset Manager drop down menu (a new dialog will pop up asking you to choose exactly which selection sets do you want to render) and then hit the Render button using RMB.
    Also installing the max9 version should execute without problems.
  • RhinoRage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, but I'm getting exactly the same error as I did before when trying to install v1.3 with v1.4 with MAx9 SP1 :(

Any ideas on how I can solve this problem or do I just need to get Max9 SP2?
  • miauu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miauu polycounter lvl 14
    Ouuu, if you have only max9 without SP2 you can't use the RTTAssist. Just install SP2(you don't have to pay for it). :)
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Hey guys,

Sorry to Necro the thread, hope it OK, because I'm having abit of an issue.

My MR baking in Max is borked, basically, I need to hide my LP mesh (Edit Poly -> Select Faces -> Hide Selected) inorder to get MR baking correctly (AO, NRM and others).
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1378426#post1378426

Was wondering if you guys had already an option for this which I might have missed, or if you plan in including in your next release.

Cheers and ciao.
  • miauu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miauu polycounter lvl 14
    Max 9 version of RTTAssis can help you. CodeFather told me that max9 has a problem when MR is used to bake maps, so he told me how to fix this problem, and the solution is Edit Poly -> Select Faces -> Hide Selected. :) But this is built in only in max9 version. Try it.
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ace-Angel

As miauu said in the post above, we've already implemented this workaround (hiding the LP automatically during baking) but only for the max9 version. I didn't know it occurs in the newer versions of 3dsmax too. What version exactly your 3dsmax is ?
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Happens with me to on both 3ds max 2011 and 2012.
  • miauu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miauu polycounter lvl 14
    I will add the code that fix the problem for max2009+ version and CodeFather will test it and if there is no problem the next release will have this workaround.
    :)
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Confirms that it happens with Max 2011 and 2012 with me (don't know why, it shouldn't generally).

Thank you guys, million awesome!
  • Norman3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norman3D polycounter lvl 14
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Confirms that it happens with Max 2011 and 2012 with me (don't know why, it shouldn't generally).

Thank you guys, million awesome!

I have experienced this problem with all 3dsMax versions from 3dsMax 9 to 2012. And I believe it happens rather randomly. I've been able to bake mentalray AO maps just fine, but other times the lowpoly mesh is not ignored. I had no idea there was a workaround for this, though! That's good to know :)
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norman3D wrote: »
    I have experienced this problem with all 3dsMax versions from 3dsMax 9 to 2012. And I believe it happens rather randomly. I've been able to bake mentalray AO maps just fine, but other times the lowpoly mesh is not ignored. I had no idea there was a workaround for this, though! That's good to know :)

Now that you mention, I think out of the 3-4 hours yesterday I head-banged at home, I was able to get ONE bake from MR which was fine, but the problem is, I had the scene saved and everything, yet when I loaded it a few minutes afterwards, it gave me the save problem and wasn't able to get it back.

Same thing today at lab, on a different PC...I wonder if it's hardware independent.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    So which version would I use for Max2012? This thread doesn't say, nor does the website. There's 2008+ and 2009. Is 2009 ONLY for max2009? Should I be using 2008+ ?
  • miauu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miauu polycounter lvl 14
    In max2012 the "return" is broken, so all version of rttassist will not work on max2012. Wait some days and install RTTAssist v.1.5. It will work with max2012 and will be nonencrypted.
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RTTassist v1.5
    hline.gif

RTTassist version 1.5 is here! Big news this time, the source code is now fully available! :)

The link in the first post is updated so you can download it from there.Or just let it auto-update itself. Here is the changelog:

* Source code available.
    * Revamped baking system from ToTex. Special thanks to Sven Fraeys!
    * Now it should work on max 2012 (not fully tested, please give us feedback).
    * Hides all faces of low poly objects when MentalRay is used for texture baking.
    * Projection List now shows the number of objects each Low-Poly has in its reference geometry list.

Note:
    the version for max9 is still 1.4. We're going to update that as well soon.

Cheers!
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    awesome to see opensource and some coop work!

What has the 'revamped' baking system bought to the table?

miauu: what do you mean the 'return is broken'
  • miauu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miauu polycounter lvl 14
    r_fletch_r, read this topic

'revamped' means - now RTTAssist use the ToTex baking system code, modifyed by me. I tried to "polish" my code before releasing this version, but..... not very well writen code. :)
    Then I look at the ToTex source code and... very well structured and much much better then my code. Thats why I asked Sven Fraeys, the author of the ToTex, for permission to use his baking system and he allowed me to use his code.
    Now I have to find the time to implement the ToTex code in max9 version of RTTassist.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    well its nice that both are integrated. Shared code is allways good news :). and the open version is very welcome, I had avoided it so far but ill take a look now.

:D i didnt think anyone used the return statement. its exceptionally slow.
  • Nysuatro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I tried to tell him that (was his roommate for a year) But he is quite stubborn about it :D
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Much love guys!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    It would be nice if the tool supported the use of custom cage meshes. I use them a lot now in max, when baking tricky shapes. In the projection modifier you export the cage as a mesh and can use the poly tools to edit it before reimporting. When using the explode tool in RTTAssist though, those cage meshes are left behind and are therefore useless.

Would it be possible to add support for meshes named CG_ and then explode those with the LP_ and HP_ meshes? Even better if the projection modified could automatically import the CG_ cages to the LP_ counterparts through the projection modifier.

---
    Also, I noticed it after a minute or two, it re-explodes the mesh for no reason at all. It does this indefinitely. Every minute or so, everything snaps back to origin and re-explodes.

When the projection modifier is applied, it also adds the same HP_ target twice in the list. I haven't baked with it like that yet, so I don't know if it will cause an issue or not. But it shouldn't be listed twice in projection anyways like that. Seems wonky.