Home Technical Talk

Can I ask for some zbrush help?

Sunn
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Sunn polycounter lvl 4
Hi guys, I nees some help working with meshes in zbrush. I can take off dynameshing and get some decent results, but let say after I have my forms in and somw light detailing I wanted to add better looking hands. Now I've alreay dropped dynamesh and started subdividing, how can I add for fix my mesh without destroying all my work?

As an aside, any mind explaining polygroups a little and why they are usefull (other than selecting). Thanks!

Replies

• SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    If you want to add something to your mesh, just merge two objects together and press dynamesh again. Dynamesh is reprojecting details on remesh so you shouldn't lose any details.

Polygroups can be used in many different ways. Most common is easy selecting of mesh parts. You can also Crease polygroups to have subdivisions on your mesh and control edges without having to do control loops in modeling software. You can also make Panel Loops with polygroups. Look at Tool-Geometry-EdgeLoop and Tool-Geometry-Crease tab to see what you can do with polygroups.
    Polygroups can also be used for targeted polish using Tool-Deformation-Polish sliders.
  • jfitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    Did you zremesh your mesh or did you just do dynamesh divisions?

If you z-remeshed and want to keep the polygonal flow you could duplicate the subtool, jack up the dynamesh resolution, merge with the hands and then go to subtool->project and project that detail back from the other mesh. Should give you pretty close results, you'll just have to do a bit of cleanup.
  • Sunn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunn polycounter lvl 4
    awesome, thanks you two, this is what I was looking for. I have some weird anxiety, after spending a couple hours on a sculpt and realize I need to add or do a major change, I can't bring myself to destroy and rebuild lol. These tips will help me greatly, thank you!
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Sunn wrote: »
    I have some weird anxiety, after spending a couple hours on a sculpt and realize I need to add or do a major change, I can't bring myself to destroy and rebuild lol.

When in doubt, work on a duplicate file or subtool so that no work is lost. Then you're free to experiment without worry.
  • Sunn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunn polycounter lvl 4
    Yeah I just found the duplicate button :/ I think I'm pretty boneheaded sometimes lol
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunn wrote: »
    Yeah I just found the duplicate button :/ I think I'm pretty boneheaded sometimes lol
    I strongly suggest you to read Zbrush's help documents to read in depth about every single feature it has to offer.
  • iconoplast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    No, skip the help documents, get a sphere or something, and poke every single button and graph you can find in the program. Then look at the help only if what happened doesn't make sense. So much more fun that way! That, and you're more likely to remember if you're doing something than if you're reading about it without putting the knowledge in to some sort of action.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can also press Ctrl key and point at any button in Zbrush to see a brief explanation of its function.