Home Technical Talk

Modelling Cloths, need help.

martynball
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
martynball polycounter lvl 10
Hey, currently trying to model the cloths on the following character for a University assignment.
Destiny_Warlock_2_Character_Sheet.jpg

Really having problems with this, first I tried to model the basic shape of the cloths is Maya, bring the blockout to zBrush and sculpt in the details, but it just simply isn't looking right.

I also tried using Panel Loops to make some of the creases, but that seems to make holes in the mesh for each Panel made, which causes some issues. Also couldn't really use Panel Loops to make creases between materials, looked wrong.

21102014.jpg

What is the best way to model cloths like in the concept art at the top of this post? Anyone know of any good tutorials for it?

Replies

• SsSandu_C
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    It is quite simple. Just blockout the shapes and make use of polygroups sculpt out more efficient and with ease. Add thickness where it is needed. Have a look here and here.
  • martynball
    Offline / Send Message
    I see, see problem I was having mainly was creating seems when the polygons where orientated diagonally, it was creating a jagged edge, I had to REALLY bump up the Sub Divisions more than I wanted/needed to for other areas of the sculpt.
  • jfitch
    Offline / Send Message
    jfitch polycounter lvl 5
    If you have seams that are diagonal you'll want your geo to be diagonal in those areas as well. Standard brush and dam standard are your friends, cut in and then pull out and smooth a bit. Really you'll just want to be constantly looking at your reference. You could even do it with a clay brush if you want to take the time. I also wouldn't recommend adding thickness to the entirety of the cloth. Cap the holes and push them in, the only part that needs thickness is the collar. Otherwise you'll just hate yourself when you to go retop or rig. In my experience anyway. If this is just for a high poly mesh then go for it.
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    I would just use polygonal modeling for anything like that. Looks better in the end and offers a lot more control on every stage, imho.
  • martynball
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, I will give all your advice a go tomorrow, thanks guys!