Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hugh Jackman bust WIP

Thrasher
null
Offline / Send Message
Thrasher null
Hey everyone. Thought I'd post some work I've been doing and say hi to the forums :). Been working on this for a day now and I thought I'd share. Comments and critiques are welcome of course. :)

jackman_ref_sheet.jpg

front_2.jpg
3quarter_2.jpg

Replies

• Dracula
    Welcome to Polycount!

I think you should step down some subdivisions and get the basic form right.
    His forehead looks really weird right now( not veritcal enough, to far forward).
    Also, you should get more reference
    Keep going!
  • Joshflighter
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    front_2.png

IMO, this might be some stuff you might want to fix. I dont know to much about the structure of a human face, but this is some stuff I thougt was off.
  • Baj Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    I agree with Dracula, you need to go down some subdivisions and really fix some of those proportion as well as setting up a base for the planes on his face.
  • cadyw
    find some unbearded pictures and nail the mouth... I would say don't bother modeling blemishes like moles either
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    although on the bright side, I could have told who it was... :)
  • Thrasher
    Offline / Send Message
    Thrasher null
    Thanks for the crits guys! I'll be busy making those fixes tonight! :) And thank you for the warm welcome Dracula.
  • Thrasher
    Offline / Send Message
    Thrasher null
    Okay so current progress: Fixed up the forehead and the cheeks. Ears and eyes still need some work as well as the lower lip not looking "exactly" right...
    And I toned down the sub-d levels to boot.

jack_front3.jpg
    jack_3quarter3.jpg
  • Indecom
    Offline / Send Message
    Indecom polycounter lvl 15
    That last couple of images reminds me strongly of freddy krueger.

Have you tried overlapping the source image to the images of your model so you can see what major differences there are?
  • Thrasher
    Offline / Send Message
    Thrasher null
    I've overlapped the front image but not the 3rd quarter view. Eye spacing is a little off as well as the lower lip...
  • Thrasher
    Offline / Send Message
    Thrasher null
    head_sheet%20copy.jpg

fullbody_sheet%20copy.jpg

Updated. C&Cs welcome.
  • Megabiv
    Cant put my finger on it but something about the legs just doesn't seem right. Still nice work though.
  • KyleJensen
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    His legs need to be longer. He looks very squat for someone who's supposed to be 6'2.
  • proximity
    Offline / Send Message
    proximity polycounter lvl 9
    i think the feet need to be pointed out a little and the thighs dont look right
  • Joshflighter
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it just me? Or is the leg thigh's a bit to bulky? Also:
    Untitled-3-1.png
  • Thrasher
    Offline / Send Message
    Thrasher null
    Update! Thanks for the critiques and comments everyone. Keeps me goin'. :)
    About the legs: I'll confess I used reference of a short stocky bodybuilder, so thus why he seems a little...off. Still working on the texture for the body. I'm thinking of just finishing and posing him pretty soon. Hair will be up soon!
    jackbust_textured.jpg
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Hey bud, welcome to polycount!

You are making some great strides in this thread, which i love to see. It's refreshing to see someone taking critiques well, and acting upon them. You are doing great. However, you need to slow down a bit. You shouldn't be texturing yet. I think you need to nail the likeness in the sculpt first, which you don't have yet.

Things jumping out at me: the brow comes out a lot on the outer sides of the eyes, which you can see in the 3/4 view.

Also, the nose blends into the forehead too much [look at the profile versus the reference profile at the top of the page] he has more of a dent there.

The nose for me right now seems to be one of the bigger problems, the underside should be tilting slightly up, where you have it coming sharply down.

The eyes still need to be scaled down.

Lastly, the cheekbone needs to sit up higher near the eyes, and the line coming down should be almost touching the mouth as you can see in the paintover Joshflighter did. The mouth you have is also a tad to wide, I think.

You are making good progress. Please don't give up and move on to texturing without making it be as good as you can make it, as I see a lot of people do. Push yourself, and make that face F-ing perfect.

I hope all this helps, and keep up the good work. GO GO GO!
  • Thrasher
    Offline / Send Message
    Thrasher null
    Thanks for the input Cody. :poly121: I'll be making those adjustments tonight and get him updated. Can't believe I keep on being a little off with his face :poly127:. Back to the modeling!
  • Thrasher
    Offline / Send Message
    Thrasher null
    Another update. Down to the fine details now but the modeling is so close to being done I can taste it! Here's a pic of what it is so far:

front_wip5.jpg

Again, thank you everyone for the input. :)
  • kjell
    this is looking a lot better mate! I can see the ressemblance allready, keep working on it tho!
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    try to find some more 3/4 perspective shots of jackman
    i think you are working with too planar reference so you end up with a result that has some of his facial features right in the front or left view but for some reason do not look like him

try to look for these kind of pictures were he doesn't have a beard
    they give you the most information
    http://www.boston.com/ae/tv/blog/Hugh_Jackman.jpg
  • Dracula
    Don't go into pores yet.You still have some issues with the likeness.
    His eyes are placed too much into the skull.Push them forward a little bit.
    Get some 3/4 shots as Ravenslayer suggested and check the placement of the eyes, the chin and the form of the nose.
    jackman.jpg
  • vcortis
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Hey I'm not perfect at this either but a few things I see wrong. The nose is a bit too bulbous and defined at the tip. The bridge of his nose is not defined enough and too lumpy. The nostrils aren't showing enough (bad reference since it is in complete shadow) which makes it look like he has a hook nose. But part of that is about the expression on his face. So I'd show just a tad more.

Next the eyes, the lower eye lid curves more and is a bit fuller towards the outsides of the eyes. You also need to add in an upper eye lid which seems completly absent in your current progress which should help define a more angular shape to his eyes.

His expression currently doesn't match. His eye brows are arched, brow furrowed, and his nostrils are starting to flare, but his eyes aren't squinting enough. Eyes are one of the most important things that connect you to a character too, it's important that they convey the overall feelings of the character.

You overall head shape, jawline, cheeks, mouth etc. look pretty good, I'd mainly focus on getting the nose/eyes/brow right. I might pull the chin a bit forward too in the profile picture.

You're close, just need to refine the shapes a bit more. Main thing that stood out to me though is the upper eye lid and the tip of the nose is a bit more angular than what you've got. Here is some more reference that shows what I'm talking about.

Hugh%20Jackman%20Wolverine%20hosting%20Oscars%202009.jpg
  • Thrasher
    Offline / Send Message
    Thrasher null
    Thank you again guys. Been working on him all afternoon (/facepalm) with the advice you guys gave. I'll post another update later tonight or tomorrow. In hindsight I think I should have modeled his base then sculpted the details. But I think I'm learning much more on sculpting the likeness this way. So... :thumbup:
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know if anyone has pointed out but beware modeling off of such a stilted promo shot. Likely he's drawing his chin in, the deep shadows and who knows what else (Photoshop massaging?) so trying to nail your likeness modeling from that shot is just going to end in tears. I'm sure you've looked for plenty of refs but look some more, the less adulterated the better.

Also don't get caught in the trap of simply lining things up traced to a ref; at the end of the day you are still going to have to SEE the reference and then SEE your work and compare their respective volumes with your own eyes. People and the volumes and shapes of their faces are so pliable that it's going to take you, the artist, and your work to get the likeness; lining it up and adjusting it against a dozen disparate or distorted references won't get you there.

I haven't modeled in a while but the analogous situation with painting is that once I stopped tracing my references or other such easy cheats, my likenesses got a thousand times better.
  • Thrasher
    Offline / Send Message
    Thrasher null
    Update! Current progress, and I decided to post it up. I've started on the hair and getting it laid out. Debating on stepping back on it with the flows of hair, and then detailing it. Again as always, comments and critiques are most welcome. :)

strip_6.jpg
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    like others have said i think you are getting way way ahead of your self. in my opinion this still bears 0 likeness to jackman, and you just keep going and going with it. you really need to go back down a few levels and do some drastic work on your main shapes an forms
  • Thrasher
    Offline / Send Message
    Thrasher null
    I'm beginning to think I'm not cut out for making a likeness. Photo reference be damned.
    FRONT_7.jpg

How is that now?
  • Joshflighter
    Offline / Send Message
    Ears are a bit to low imo. Also nostrils look a bit to wide.
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    the few time i've tried at likenesses i failed miserably, but really i think if you give up now then you are not cut out for it, cause dicking around on one attempt and then saying you are not cut out for it is pretty much proof. these kinda things are terribly hard and take a lot anda lot and a lot of practice dozens even hundreds of failed atempts before you start making great models
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, creating and maintaining likenesses is a really hard thing to do. Don't give up, keep chipping away at it!