Home Unreal Engine

Weird lighting after converting terrain to landscape.

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
When I try converting a terrain to landscape, the lighting turns weird and the shadows become blobby even after I build lighting. The only lights in the scene are a dominantdirectional light and skylight.

Before conversion:

BeforeConversion.jpg

After conversion:

Afterconversion.jpg

Is there a way to fix this weird landscape lighting?

Replies

• agentfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    check your UV's
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does terrain even have UVs? :poly134:
  • agentfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Terrain might not but you converted it. it has to have UV's for the lightmap to work. wait, what do you mean you converted it to landscape? I thought you converted a terrain to a static mesh.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    Is this static or dynamic lighting? It looks like your components lighting resolutions are set to different things... try selecting the different components and checking the lighting resolution settings

BTW: I too am having weird lighting problems on my machine
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lighting is dynamic I think. I'll have to try doing a terrain-landscape conversion again sometime.

For some reason these lighting errors happen when I convert terrain to landscape, but not when I create a landscape from scratch. So I decided to stick with landscape instead.

Thanks for the help though.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    hrmm, strange, I'm having the same problem with new landscapes
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Maybe try using a different map size? I know in the June and July betas at least, build lighting is really messed up for maps bigger than 509 x 509. Could be fixed in newer betas, but not sure.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    It looks like it has the exact same shadows as in the original image, but the Shadow Penumbra on the landscape is suddenly set to 0 or similar negated value.
    Check your light setting for the Landscape in its Properties menu - possibly right-clicking and resetting all Bold values to their defaults.
  • max_sridhar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, i think the landscape is a static mesh which has problem in baking the lighting for existing uv set. you need to create an uvset by double clicking the static mesh and mesh>set unique uvset and click apply. it should take a while to process it depending on the details in the mesh. make sure the static mesh is still selected in content browser and click f4 to open properties of the static mesh. in the right tab, click on the override uv set and set the light map resolution as per your requirement. now hopefully you get the correct result if you build the light. but all these things will work if your terrain is a "STATIC MESH". i don't know about inbuilt udk terrain.