Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge December 2014 (26)

Replies

• Darkimage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkimage polycounter lvl 11
    @krztyczekpstryczek thanks you very much for yours critics and comments i really appreciated :). For the wood yes, it was the part that less convinced me, i was trying to get it looking like chopped but my test ended up looking like rocks so i decided to make it look more inflated... do you have any advice to make it look like chopped wood? any brush or combination of brush should i go for? i initially try with trymDyn and mallet fast but the mallet fast is a brush that i don't understand too much where i should use it
  • krztyczekpstryczek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    krztyczekpstryczek polycounter lvl 4
    @Darkimage I only use standard, clay, clay buildup, dam standard, move and smooth, trim dynamic. Pretty basic tools:) Firtstly I block out shapes and add volume using clay, standard or clay buildup then trim it. I really like trim brush:) Remember that you can hold alt during sculpting with trim. This adds volume but still holds planar surface.
    You should bear in mind that textures and materials give you the final appearance of model. Don't worry that you think your sculpted wood looks like stone because you can adjust it by creating specular and gloss map or PBR maps - roughness and metallic. Also adding some kind of noise and alphas describe what surface could be stone, wood, whatever.
  • Darkimage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @krztyczekpstryczek you're absolutely right, in this fase i'm focusing too much to get the material look in the sculpt but thanks you very much for opening my eyes that using pbr texture i can get the material definition i want.... i would for sure do some test with the wood to make it look great in both sculpt and texture !!
  • Darkimage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And this is the fish sculpt for me is still not finished and there are some part like all the fins and the tail that does not convince me much

qfienxwa2tf8c3fzg.jpg
  • krztyczekpstryczek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    10 days after deadline this is my final. I call it final because I have no more pleasure with doing this piece. There are a lot of mistakes but I'm happy I done and learn from that. First picture is staight from Maya's Viewport 2.0 second one is mentalray render. Also I did tiny curves adjustments and sharpen in PS.
    lWMCD2G.jpg
    66PwU9I.jpg

@Darkimage
    maybe you should try to inflate more middle part of the fish. Hope this helps to create nicer silhouette:) Scales could be smaller as well imho.
    cPh8dwx.jpg
  • Darkimage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @krztyczekpstryczek your prop look great especially the base and the foliage, the only thing that i noticed is in the screen taken from the maya viewport is that the fish seems to not have shading at all :) and thanks a lot for the silhouette tips it now look very dynamic with that form!!!!
  • krztyczekpstryczek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Darkimage you're right with shading problem in Maya. It seems that viewport has problem with displaying spec and gloss. I tried setup scene inside Marmoset but I wasn't happy with results.
    I'm glad I could help you with the fish.
  • Darkimage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just finished to pose still left only the grass
    but i call it done! i'm retopologizing it now
    cck9k65dz1g1c6gzg.jpg

@krztyczekpstryczek i left the wood as it is, i did tons of testing but every result was not satisfying for me so i decided to keep it as it is but for the future I will practice to do chopped wood
  • krztyczekpstryczek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Darkimage I think your final sculpt is good to go to the next phase:) Be fast with retopo and baking process because I can't wait to see your textures. Make sure your topology, UVs and bakes are decent and then try to make as best textures as you can create. Then prettty presentation and it's done. Move to the next piece:poly124: Happy Arting.
  • Darkimage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @krztyczekpstryczek thanks a lot for your support!!! for the textures i'll be using (for the first time) substance painter.... so let's see how it turn out :)
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    Is there any plans for a noob challenge this month? Or February since it's fast approaching?
  • lloydj14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lloydj14 polycounter lvl 6
    Wulf wrote: »
    The Monthly Noob Challenge will be taking a short break and will return at the beginning of February.

It should be back this month hopefully
  • theonewhoknocks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theonewhoknocks polycounter lvl 6
    Thought I'd post this here instead of making another thread.

Finally got around to finishing this, used Substance Painter this time around. If I can find some time later I'll add in the foliage

screenshot007.png
  • Darkimage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey!! i just finished my retopo... these days i was beating my head on how to do a great retopo and stay on my 20k tris budget so first i try with zremesher and decimation master, the result was good and optimized but not very UV friendly for most pieces then i try to do it manually but was sooo frustrating and sloooow so i decide to use Autopo feature of 3dCoat and it worked perfectly...for most pieces so at the end i ended up doing some piece like the little rock and the fluid with zbrush the rest was done in 3dCoat with autopo then i fixed the mesh for a better optimization and silhouette

Flat
    dicd1cl84h2fmflzg.jpg?size_id=a

Wire
    33r8k8lvszz7k6dzg.jpg?size_id=a

GIF, just for fun!
    ooq49shawllai66zg.jpg?size_id=5
  • deagloria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deagloria polycounter lvl 10
    @Auldbenkenobi
    Wulf wrote: »
    The Monthly Noob Challenge will be taking a short break and will return at the beginning of February.
  • Darkimage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sooo after 1month of delay i've finished it!!
    it's 19k tris including all effects like grass and dust particle
    i've used 3 texture set... grass and dust are in a 256 texture the altar is split in 2 texture with 1024 and 2048 size
    i've learned a lot participating at this challenge so thanks to everyone that help me with with comments and criticisms about my work!!!!

cpvaexzhir18kjqzg.jpg

868bktppdli244hzg.jpg

24jurh5bsjetoc3zg.jpg

vwaltru3uglsybczg.jpg

:) cheers!
  • krztyczekpstryczek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bellissimo altare:) Happy to see that you don't give up and finished this piece. The wooden part is nicely detailed but I feel the middle stone part is less. I mean it looks more like a rubber than a stone. More surface detail baked to normal map should help. The lowest part is better, it has moss that gives nice bumpy look.
    Btw the final asset looks really neat. I noticed you're using Substance Painter for texturing. Did you use PBR shader for that?
  • Radishface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys work fast! I am really impressed :thumbup:
  • Darkimage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bellissimo altare:) Happy to see that you don't give up and finished this piece. The wooden part is nicely detailed but I feel the middle stone part is less. I mean it looks more like a rubber than a stone. More surface detail baked to normal map should help. The lowest part is better, it has moss that gives nice bumpy look.
    Btw the final asset looks really neat. I noticed you're using Substance Painter for texturing. Did you use PBR shader for that?
    thaks a lot for your comment and yes i notice that now I will change it immediately and for answer the question yes i've used a pbr shader