Home Contests & Challenges Archives Killing Floor 2 - Guns 'n Gear - CONTEST HAS ENDED

[KF2] – Item – Scavenged Tech Helmet

Sekoran
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Sekoran polycounter lvl 4
Our dear Masterson managed to scavenge a barely functioning prototype helmet from a military base. Sadly everything but the night vision (which doesn't work to well) and radio is broken in it, still hard enough to withstand a few zed blows!

Comes with and without the visor, going to be way more grimy and broken than the sketch, just wanted something to base my modelling and sculpting on.

7lTtqUv.png

Replies

• Sekoran
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update, messing around with a basemesh. In hindsight I think I really prefer to just start out in Zbrush instead, feels like it takes so much more time pushing/pulling shapes like this :|

Should have spent some extra time sketching a side/top view as well. Some of the shapes doesn't really make as much sense as I thought they did, was also a bit to thick on the sides. Fixing it as I go along!

fllxYfL.png
  • SamiTarvainen
    Offline / Send Message
    SamiTarvainen polycounter lvl 4
    I like the design and nice backstory :) I think you're right about spending extra time on sketching side and top views. It would've helped a lot. In my opinion the model looks heavier and bulkier than the original concept, unless you want it to be. Nevertheless, I really like the design and keep up the good work!
  • Sekoran
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update, might even make it daily, go me!

Spent a lot of time fixing the general thickness of the helemet, doesn't line up as well with my concept but looks far better in 3D. Not quite happy with the front yet and the visor will take a while to fix, will probably end up doing it in Zbrush instead.

Thanks for the feedback as well Sami, spurred me on to work quite a bit today :)

i2YnD7z.png
  • Sparkwire
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire polycounter lvl 9
    keep at it! this is gonna look awesome when its done :D
  • SamiTarvainen
    Offline / Send Message
    SamiTarvainen polycounter lvl 4
    Sekoran, you're welcome. I'm always happy to help :) Looks great!
  • Sekoran
    Offline / Send Message
    Smaller update today, managed to bring it into Zbrush after some issues (mouthpiece crashing Zbrush? wut).

Kinda messing around with the sides currently, not happy with how it is right now. Probably going to start over tomorrow on it as i forgot to create the thickness on it, after an hour or so of work >_>

Will see how it goes tomorrow.

And as always thanks for the feedback!

EncG6yv.png
  • Sekoran
    Offline / Send Message
    Remade the helmet a bit before getting it into zbrush again. Split the different material parts into their own meshes so that it has a better "thickness" that it lacked in my other sculpt.

Pretty happy with how it is so far, going to finish it up tomorrow hopefully.

w3Z5qti.png
  • Sparkwire
    Offline / Send Message
    cool call on redoing it partially man, its starting to look super cool now! Keep it up :)
  • Sekoran
    Offline / Send Message
    Not dead yet, just haven't had time to work much on the helmet :<

Currently doing the side, and it's a bit slow but getting there. Couldn't really get the original piece to work as I wanted to, so using it as a bit of a guide and making individual pieces inside of zbrush instead.

Also need to fix the inner part around the visor as I just imported it from my earlier file.

Af2duXV.png
  • Sekoran
    Offline / Send Message
    Been sick for a while now so work slowed down sadly :(

Side area took a while and I'm decently happy with it. First time i tried making some techy stuff totally inside of Zbrush as well (was fun!). Right picture is how it will look normally, thinking of an alternate style where the protective plating is ruined and shows the inside.

Anyway, small update now. Been fixing the highpoly around the edges of the visor and between some of the surfaces that I split the mesh into as there was some rather ugly edges there. Mostly slightly remaking the lowpoly > reimport > projecting in Zbrush to get the details back and then fixing the rest by hand.

Could probably have foregone this totally by just using polygroups (duh) instead, but learning is awesome :)

Aiming to finish the lowpoly as well tonight, shouldn't be to far off really. Also need to fix the neck area a bit as it feels unfinished/doesn't make sense to me right now.

l3XdwTq.png
  • Sekoran
    Offline / Send Message
    And an initial test on the low-poly, need to fix some problem areas on it but really happy right now as I didn't make a cage or tweak the bake settings at all.

Currently at 2.6k tris, if i remember correctly it could have ~3k so probably going to add some extra geometry on the sides and on the bevelled parts.

jwMrc59.png
  • Sekoran
    Offline / Send Message
    So another update then

When I started texturing I realized that I hadn't actually made any damage to the model itself, i.e go make some scratches and bake that stuff again.

Think it turned out quite well in all honesty.
    i26cQVg.png

Also started on the texturing today, substance designer makes it a lot faster then it would have been otherwise.

4aF03N7.png

Also, does anyone know how to hide the background in substance designer?
  • Sekoran
    Offline / Send Message
    Managed to mostly finish the helmet, testing it out a bit inside UDK. Really happy with how it turned out right now, still going to tweak the spec a bit. Also considering doing some extra work on the side pieces with a hole or extra damage of some kind showing techy stuff (wiring etc.) inside.

i8V3uSU.png
    M5ADgcV.png
  • Sparkwire
    Offline / Send Message
    get some phong and envmaps in there man!
  • Sekoran
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire wrote: »
    get some phong and envmaps in there man!

Thought I had added them, it's done while making the material inside the editor or am I missing something major in my texturing process? Otherwise I've been following the guide on the KF2 wiki.

Just for reference posting the textures as well.

lwXoYM7.png
    TMIMtnm.png
    skDP2KJ.png
    BY3WD1j.png
  • Sekoran
    Offline / Send Message
    Going to spend some time doing variations now, colour + cameo are my current goals. Let's go!
  • Sekoran
    Offline / Send Message
    And some color variations, quite fun making these actually. Feel free to reply which versions you think fit / doesn't fit. Like the cameo ones myself in addition to 7, 8 and 11-13.

I blame my GF for #13 as well :)

Q82sKcO.png
    01iHF9z.png
    68H6NOE.png
    Vlpju9f.png
    LMDBANO.png
  • Sekoran
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished!

Final Submission
    Workshop Link