Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Vash the Stampede- .45 Long Colt

Hi everyone,

I posted a reply to WAYWO about this last night but thought I should start a progress thread to go along with it. Below I have a couple of Marmoset renders of the high poly and some of the reference images I was using along the way. Will continue adding to this as I make progress!

latest?cb=20111024235610

img_show.aspx?ImageID=361123&X=530&Section=Item

Vash_Gun_Spec__V_2_by_piratecaptain.jpg

Consistent Reference was tough to find, but these seemed to help the most. The resulting high poly is below.

wUEoi6f.png

U1vhSwg.png

4oEqjvK.png

Of course, any comments, critiques, etc. are more than appreciated. : D

Replies

• AsaNYC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AsaNYC polycounter lvl 12
    Aesthetically I would suggest working toward the top 2 concepts in regards to the grip and the trigger guard. The grip and most of the proportions in the third are not working in harmony and your end product is suffering.
  • jpetty7317
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, AsaNYC.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll definitely look into making your suggested changes. One of the battles i faced with this was consistent reference particularly with the grip. And I agree that it lead to some inconsistencies. But that's why we post here!

Will post more when I've gotten a chance to make some adjustments.
  • jpetty7317
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I attempted to address some of the advice to make the grip fit the gun a bit better. On Second glance, it definitely felt small, and "delicate?". Below are actually a couple images of a test bake low poly with some basic color on it. There are definitely a number of areas ive already mapped out to revisit, but would love to hear from you guys!

DZAksLK.png

Y3xhtaV.png
  • Stinkfoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkfoot polycounter lvl 11
    But will it pop open and transform into an arm merged angel gun capable of blasting holes in moons?
  • wccrawford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wccrawford polycounter lvl 4
    The barrel feels too short to me, but maybe it's just my memory that's off. That thing was wicked long in the anime, and they made a point of showing that off. So maybe they exaggerated it a bit.

I went and found some captures from the anime, in case it helps any. They're probably harder to work from than the images above, but more accurate for obvious reasons.

http://cdn.instructables.com/FJU/XRKC/HD8ZAN3Q/FJUXRKCHD8ZAN3Q.LARGE.jpg

http://nickosweb.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/weapon.jpg

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/e/ed/Trigun0106.jpg/500px-Trigun0106.jpg

http://www.zerochan.net/full/408206
  • jpetty7317
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol sorry Stinkfoot, unfortunately, this one cannot /:

wccrawford! thank you for point out the barrels "shortcomings". Definitely added to the list of things to address moving forward. That third set of references bites me once again.
  • Paznos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paznos triangle
    wccrawford wrote: »
    I went and found some captures from the anime,

I love how the design isn't really consistent the cylinder is different in almost all of the reference.

The design of the gun seems to be based off the Mateba 2006m (not that knowing that, particularly helps but i had to show off my one piece of gun knowledge).

-I'd say your edges are pretty tight
    -The notches on the cylinder hold it in place with a rounded mechanism, you can see the construction in this colt (the top one)
    -The safety (i think) is pretty thin, in most of the images here it feels chunkier.
  • jpetty7317
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paznos wrote: »
    I love how the design isn't really consistent the cylinder is different in almost all of the reference.

The design of the gun seems to be based off the Mateba 2006m (not that knowing that, particularly helps but i had to show off my one piece of gun knowledge).

-I'd say your edges are pretty tight
    -The notches on the cylinder hold it in place with a rounded mechanism, you can see the construction in this colt (the top one)
    -The safety (i think) is pretty thin, in most of the images here it feels chunkier.

Thanks, Paznos! To the edges, I'll definitely look at loosening things up a bit. Was just trying to avoid it looking like an inflatable toy. To that point, I'll also look at bulking up the safety.

My big question comes with the cylinder. Of course as you pointed out, the cylinder design is different in pretty much every reference image. Was your suggestion to add in the larger scallops towards the front of the cylinder? Just trying to understand.

Thanks again, all this goes to a better end product!
  • Stinkfoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkfoot polycounter lvl 11
    Finally found a use for your damn mateba huh?

...sorry I couldnt resist.
  • mazerius1st
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazerius1st polycounter lvl 5
    jpetty7317 wrote: »

img_show.aspx?ImageID=361123&X=530&Section=Item

This image is from the design book they released after the end of the anime. It is only in Japanese and somewhat rare to find it now but it will help you immensely.

I have somewhere stashed the book so I will try to find it and post it here.
  • jpetty7317
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This image is from the design book they released after the end of the anime. It is only in Japanese and somewhat rare to find it now but it will help you immensely.

I have somewhere stashed the book so I will try to find it and post it here.

WOAH! much appreciated! thank you in advance!
  • jpetty7317
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    High everyone,

Been a while since I had a chance to work on this thing and also update this thread, but I was personally grossed out by the ammo cylinder I had on this thing and really wanted to get something that would be more visually interesting and be more accurate to what you would see in an actual firearm.

Below you will see a before and after that will hopefully show the major overhaul I finally got to explore in the last couple days. Hope you all like it and think it as significant an improvement as I do. Looking forward to hearing from you!

BEFORE:
    wUEoi6f.png

AFTER:
    ohqtfB7.jpg