Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

R0V3R (UE4)

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Amatobahn polycounter lvl 7
I have started a small game project in my downtime from working about a fun space rover given the task to explore a seemingly unknown planet, with missions that revolve around search & rescue, puzzles, and whatever pop culture fun things I can throw in there.

So for now I've just got images - which this thread will be heavy of so there's my warning!

I hope to update often, as I go. Feel free to give feedback and ideas. Cheers!

Rover_03.png

R0V3RMainMenu.gif

R0V3R.gif

Replies

• s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    FUCK YEAH SON!

Can't wait to see this develop. Looking really sweet so far :thumbup:

What are your game play and mechanic goals?
  • gsokol
    Oh yea man awesome. Glad s6 bumped this, would be cool to see more progress..didn't even know you started a thread for it. I know you have been throwing some stuff out there on Twitter.
  • Amatobahn
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha. I've been bad about keeping things up to date. I've been working on a lot of back-end blueprint stuff within UE4. Making sure all the basic stuff works before I get into the nitty-gritty design part of it.

As far as gameplay and mechanics...A lot of ridiculous mission-based stuff. I've been playing a lot with using common things for ridiculous uses. A lot of it will be off-the-wall.

I guess for now I can showcase some updates (which may have been seen on twitter).

Simplified Day/Night Cycle (compared to the UE4 example where it pulls the rotation of the sun, I pull the height value, clamp the values 0-1).

rover_cycle.gif

54ba1ca60dfdf.png

Also Have been reworking the main menu a bit, getting that whole mess working as it should Cropped for no good reason, will update with newer version:

rover_menu.gif

I'll be sure to keep it more updated as I do some more fun art / tech stuff.
  • solidshark91493
    Offline / Send Message
    solidshark91493 polycounter lvl 6
    :o Thanks for linking me. Id love to help if you need it. Looks really fun.
  • sushi
  • Amatobahn
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally posting a tiny update:

Slowly blocking in some things for the environment space. I am trying to get the flow between elements of the level to be smooth so I've had a lot of time reiterating over and over, like we should be!

here's some new screenies:

Temporary title screen
    RoverPlanet_mm.PNG

Some block-ins and various sections:
    Rover_04.PNG

Rover_05.PNG

Rover_06.PNG
  • angryMonkey
    This looks so COOL! Can't wait to see more. I'd love to know about the exploration. Will there be aliens? there better be aliens... okay monsters will work... or... yea aliens. :D lol
  • Amatobahn
    Offline / Send Message
    Right now I'm trying to set small milestones so I don't get burnt out so quick looking at the same thing.

Essentially I'm wanting to have a training/tutorial section for phase I. Then move onto the actual surface of the planet with larger tasks, and exploration. At the moment the focus is on creating phase one, to where I can pop a build out to a few people to get feedback and buggy stuff with how it feels to be driving around as the rover.

I also have to keep in mind that this is not a commercial project or a project that will be marketable, but a gigantic learning experience. Even now I've managed to learn a lot from the little amounts of visible work I've done, which is the goal behind this project. I hope with my sharing of the experiences and whatnot that I encounter others will learn as well.
  • Wubberman
    Offline / Send Message
    Wubberman polycounter lvl 6
    This is looking great! Subbed
  • Amatobahn
    Offline / Send Message
    More modular block in updates:

Rover_08.PNG

Rover_09.PNG

Rover_10.PNG

Rover_07.PNG
  • Amatobahn
    Offline / Send Message
    High speed preview of rover fun:

Roverspeed.gif
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    This is super adorable and awesome!
  • Amatobahn
    Offline / Send Message
    I did two really quick and derpy matte paintings from screengrabs in UE4:

Kind of the idea of where I'd like to take it in the outdoor region.

Domeconcept_00.png

Domeconcept_01.png