Home Quixel Megascans

SOLVED: Applying layer edited mask to all maps

Hello,

So I'm custom editing a mask for scratched metal on the actual layer mask (not with the DynaMask Editor) as it's much easier to see quick results and how the material will show through the mask this way.

Is there a way to quickly apply this mask to the same layer for all maps? Or do I have to duplicate the layer and replace the mask?

Or is there a way to see the actual texture / map instead of just the black + white mask? It's difficult to add scratches in the correct parts if the whole map is black / white for example.

Thanks!

Replies

• Micky Pain
    dDo main window, click option thingy in the upper right corner, select copy to all maps. Profit!

x0l6wtv6kjvy0bjzg.jpg
  • HowlYeYe
    But if you edit a mask in the layer panel (built into photoshop) it doesn't like like it updates that mask into DDO. Unless I'm mistaken?

If DDO will accept masks edited in the actual photoshop layer window, then that's great!
  • Micky Pain
    If you just paint a mask on a layer than it won't work, no, because then it's just a layer and not a mask.

If you want to copy your mask across all maps, you have to make sure that your mask is actually applied as a layer mask on whatever layer you want to use.

Also make sure to have the layer mask, not the layer selected when you click "copy mask to all layers".

Another, simpler way is to open the dynamask editor, don't touch any setting in the window but create/paste your hand-made mask at the top of the mask texture (the *_dDo_mask.psd file that will be auto-selected).

Then simply click done in the dynamask window and watch your mask get applied to maps.
    But be aware, the next time you open the dynamask window it will overwrite your manual changes with a procedurally created mask, so doing the first version is probably safer...
  • HowlYeYe
    Yeah, I knew that I would have to actually make a mask - I'll try selecting the mask on my Photoshop layer when clicking Copy Mask to All Layers.

I was having the problem that you mentioned at the end - the procedural mask reset any changes I made, since I hadn't copied it to all layers.
  • Micky Pain
    In regards to the losing mask, I usually use one of two work-arounds:

* if it's a hand-painted mask only, simply copy the mask and place them in a separate (hidden) layer group so you always have a bakcup

* if it's a procedural mask with some manual edits, I usually keep a backup layer of the differences only (like, if you paint out seams in a dynamask etc).
    That way you can still edit the dynamask later and have a backup of you manual edits that you can overlay and then re-apply to your dynamask

It's not an ideal solution, but once you get used to it it's pretty fast.

And if you feel fancy, you can always create some action scripts in PS to take care of all the "backup mask" stuff for you.
  • CKohl
    Offline / Send Message
    CKohl polycounter lvl 10
    That seems like an awful lot of work for something you can accomplish by simply painting mask edits (or a 100% handmade mask) above the layer that says "Add anything above this layer" when you have the dynamask open. Since it's part of dynamask it gets copied to all maps automatically when you hit Done and it doesn't get lost when you do rebuilds; your custom mask paints get saved into a folder inside of the project folder.

If you want to you can even keep layers there with no visibility for backup purposes and they won't be included as part of the final mask.
  • Micky Pain
    CKohl
    Interesting...
    Guess I didn't really look at the mask file layers again since 1.4.
    That sure makes thing a lot easier :)
  • Eric Ramberg
    Sorry for being late here but it certainly seems like you guys have it all under control, thanks for helping out!
  • HowlYeYe
    I see - thanks guys!

I think my biggest qualm was that while editing things in the dynamask editor, I couldn't see the underlying texture appear visually on the albedo (for example).

All I could see was the black and white, so painting areas where you wanted detail to appear was difficult as there was no connection to the end result in a black / white mask.
  • CKohl
    Offline / Send Message
    CKohl polycounter lvl 10
    Yes that has definitely been an issue for me and many others as well. They've said they want to address that so hopefully 1.9 has a good solution (maybe it's their 3d painting thing they tease us with).

In the meantime, my own workaround has been to paste my UVs as a layer set to Screen when painting my custom edits to my masks, then I turn the UV layer off so the white lines don't get applied to the mask itself when I hit done. It's not perfect, but it's workable enough for me at least since I can identify what is what based on the shells or whatever detail the dynamask has already masked.
  • Gordon Robb
    Offline / Send Message
    Gordon Robb polycounter lvl 2
    What I do to creat a custom mask is (and this assumes there is no dynamask there already), click on the mask to get dynamask, then pick one that has tight edges, then go into custom paint mode, and your edges will be there, then I untick the curvature map, and all i'm left with is what I painted.