Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tree Kraken - WIP

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
MalloryW polycounter lvl 14
Making a stylized mini environment and thought I'd open a thread for feedback :). I Really want to push my texturing and composition skills for this.

First, here is the most recent wip:
better_leaves.jpg
Trello to-do list (because I'm a nerd)

The following is the original post:

First off, here is the concept I'm loosely basing it on [not done by me, click img for source]:
tree.jpg

Here's my original blockout:
beforeIDestroyIt.JPG

And here's what I have so far.
tree_kraken_wip.jpg
tree_wip_paint_otherside3.JPG
Texture is polypaint, and it's a little messed up and noisy in parts because I somehow lost my polypaint and had to transfer it from an old version. So I will definitely fix that, and I have some other finalizing to do on the tree texture but for now I want to get the roots, rock, and leaves done. The idea is supposed to be that the tree is destroying the rock... I'm still working on the rock sculpt and I'm not sure about some of those floaty bits, but if possible I'd like to make it so you almost feel bad for the rock, hah.

Speaking of leaves, I haven't really done them before but I think I want to take the Airborn rout

Looking forward to reading your feedback, I'll post updates when I can!

Replies

• redcap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    redcap polycounter lvl 11
    I am liking this a lot. It goes away from your standard World of Warcraft "stylized/painted textures" yet is still obviously painterly. Excited to see what the leaves look like.
  • Layt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Layt polycounter lvl 4
    Cool another ITGM SCAD person! I'm really digging how your texture gets more blocky as it goes to the top of the tree, like in the concept art. I think if you pushed up the amount of violet near the top branches as well it will contrast better with the leaves, that is if you decide to color them leaves the same as the concept. Everything is looking great so far!
  • MalloryW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments :).
    Layt wrote: »
    Cool another ITGM SCAD person! I'm really digging how your texture gets more blocky as it goes to the top of the tree, like in the concept art. I think if you pushed up the amount of violet near the top branches as well it will contrast better with the leaves, that is if you decide to color them leaves the same as the concept. Everything is looking great so far!

Yay SCAD people! Hope you're enjoying it, I had fun. Sounds like they've improved the program even more since I've been gone. Anyway... I will do more painting on the tree after I block in the leaf colors and see how some extra violet near the top branches works with it. Sounds good :).

I've had a busy past couple of weeks so haven't had as much time for this as I had thought, but here's a quick update, just to show I'm still working, along with an even quicker paintover to show the general idea of where I'm thinking of going with the roots (positions aren't final). Let me know if it's too much, too busy, etc. I tend to get caught up in the details a lot and worry about things getting too busy because of it.
    tree_plan.gif
  • oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxblood polycounter lvl 9
    wow the rocks look great. really nicely executed.
  • felipealves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipealves polycounter lvl 10
    Nice work so far!

Keep going man.
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    This is lovely!
    I love the sculpting and the texturing, looking forward to see more!
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 14
    Looking good. Consider size and shape contrast.

02jpg.jpg

don't focus too much on the bottom that it loses spacial contrast with the rest of the composition. In other words the concept has the tree taking up around 2/3ish space and the around 1/3ish is the ground/roots. If you make the bottom section bigger like you are planning, I feel you might hurt the balance of the composition and the roots and the tree will compete for the viewers eye. Also consider the shape and size of the branches and roots themselves. Don't leave them too even. the concept gives them "character" by making them "lumpier" going from thick to thin. You do this yourself somewhat, but maybe you could push it a little further?
  • MalloryW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good. Consider size and shape contrast.

don't focus too much on the bottom that it loses spacial contrast with the rest of the composition. In other words the concept has the tree taking up around 2/3ish space and the around 1/3ish is the ground/roots. If you make the bottom section bigger like you are planning, I feel you might hurt the balance of the composition and the roots and the tree will compete for the viewers eye. Also consider the shape and size of the branches and roots themselves. Don't leave them too even. the concept gives them "character" by making them "lumpier" going from thick to thin. You do this yourself somewhat, but maybe you could push it a little further?

Really good point, I didn't even think of that, thanks :). I guess I was too focused on trying to make this thing look Kraken-like, but you're right it's losing that nice contrast that's in the concept. I'll go ahead and pass on the plan to add more roots (less work for me anyway :P), and I'll make the roots that I already have skinnier. Might add some extra skinny roots later on, we'll see. Later I also want to add the dangly moss and maybe the skinny, wispy branches, like the ones in the concept.

This weekend I'm going to focus on painting the rock. Might make a tiling texture for the roots too. Anyway I'll shut up and get back to work so I can go home and work on this tonight :poly142:
  • MalloryW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm back! I got distracted... Anyway here's my progress, please feel free to give feedback. I'm still not very happy with the floating rocks texture and layout (besides the main one) and the tree doesn't actually have a spec map yet... Overall it needs some polish. but...

tree_L.jpg
    tree_right.2jpg.jpg
    tree_right.jpg
    tree_topdown_wip.jpg
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Dude this is amazing!
    Really digging it so far.
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fozwroth polycounter lvl 9
    Love it! Looks really nice.

Maybe you could add in a bit more contrast in some of the deeper grains? Like the really deep ones and around the hole in the trunk just to get it to pop a bit more.

Maybe the leaves in the canopy are a tad to big? I would also try to add some more shading inside of it, a more layered occlusion maybe in a darker more saturated green just to get some of that extra depth in there.

Keep at it:)
  • MalloryW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet, thanks! I made a todo list on Trello because I'm a nerd, lol. https://trello.com/b/N0y2dBzR/tree

Also trying to liven up the silhouette... I know the leaf density consistency is off right now...
    liven.JPG
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah looks good
  • MalloryW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a derpy birdy

birdy.jpg

right.jpg
    left.jpg
  • Protar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really great! Though I think that the roots going straight trough the stones look a bit weird. I would maybe at least paint some cracks onto that or some fake shadows. Should make it a bit clearer to read for the viewer. =)

Other than that really awesome piece of work! Love the bird :D
  • Chimi Jimi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimi Jimi polygon
    looking good maybe add in a slight gradient for this style so that its darker at the bottom and lighter towards the top atm it reads abit flat if im honest even though the texturing itself is nice the birds a nice touch but rather then duplicate the same one have maybe 3 colour variations with 1 of each? (sorta like a bird gang) :P

and for your leaves i would add in a few minor hue variations to chop up that solid mass of green only has to be slight but its just a wall of the same greeen

edit : just looked at the concept again and you can see the artist has painted in yellow to green to avoid what you are getting
  • MalloryW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loving this help guys! Thanks for the feedback I'll definitely try it out :)
  • akiratang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akiratang polycounter lvl 11
    Thats looking really nice =)
    Love the texture.
  • zberry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zberry polycounter lvl 9
    Beautiful work, thanks for posting. The foliage in the concept has some nice hue shifts and tonal range that could maybe help you add more depth to the canopy.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah I like it. Good that you stuck with it.
  • primnull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    primnull polycounter lvl 5
    where is kraken part? was thinking of a mouth or tentacles or fire or something
  • MalloryW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    primnull wrote: »
    where is kraken part? was thinking of a mouth or tentacles or fire or something

Haha you're right, it didn't turn out to be as kraken-esque as I was thinking when I was first starting it. Sorry to be misleading... I was going to add more tentacle-y roots but then someone pointed out it would throw off the composition by making it too busy so I decided to stick to the concept a little more. Maybe I should see if I can change the thread name >.>
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    This is awesome. I think as a final touch, a little bit of "natural" feeling AO is needed across the model, and more specifically on the lower roots/rocks.
  • lophead25
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lophead25 polycounter lvl 10
    Looking really nice mallory, you could dirty it up a bit more, looking a bit clean to me or is it just me? :P
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat polycounter lvl 9
    Love this piece! The bark is so nicely done. My only critique would be the leaves have an odd sheen that makes it look flat. Apart from that its solid :D
  • MalloryW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, weekend time! I did a little paintover, it may be too contrasty but I think this is the general idea.
    paintover_small.gif

Now to actually do it...

(edit) Didn't get much done over the weekend because of reasons. but
    better_leaves.jpg

Still have a few more adjustments to make
  • Tetranome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tetranome polycounter lvl 6
    It's looking really great, the paintover added some nice contrast.

Your discolored leaves are a little obviously repeated, my eye catches the clusters of three from first glance. Perhaps a little more variation would help, because they're a good addition.

And I like the positioning of the bird in the latest shot :) Cute!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Great job man! Looking forward to the final piece!