Home Dota 2

Motenai - Dota 2 Workshop

Replies

• Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    phobalien wrote: »
    hi man, thanks for the nice words on the ''main piece'' of the set.
    I'll try to share with you some thoughts we had leading to the final model you see here.
    When I started concepting the set, I wanted to have something cool on his back since is the most visible spot. The initial idea was to have a body chained to it, one of his victims. When we went to double check the lore we were very happy to see that we could bend the initial idea to match the lore seamlessly!
    As you noted, perhaps the wizard being eaten by his back is a hell of an idea that can hardly be match by another number of peculiar designs on the armor.
    So the approach for the rest of the set was to stay in lore and just describe a set of chains and torture devices to hold the creature captive. I worked on shape language and volumes changes more than special ideas.
    I tried to execute the overall design in the most professional way as motenai did with the texturing.
    I would say that in the end, for whoever likes it, is going to be a nice set, well executed with a unique key piece. We hope it is enough!

A sad thing though could be that we had to loose the body on the back if the gory idea is a problem for Valve... That would be a shame and I'm thinking hard to find a solution that doesn't imply severed limbs and skinned back while still having the wizard on his back...

I hope you can understand our reasons to act as we did and I thank you again for the comments ;)

I totally understand, however maybe while thinking about how to make back-piece less violent, you guys can think of new approach towards Lifestealer.(instead of typical armor approach) Something that can somehow goes along the line. I don't know maybe somthing like Nemesis.

Nemesis_Revisited_by_Mikado_Neon.jpg

http://mikado-neon.deviantart.com/art/Nemesis-Revisited-87512600

Anyways great idea for the back piece. I can't wait to see how it will look in game and how the skinning works. I remember LS was a pain for skinning.
    MdK wrote: »
    Those sluts just can't get enough of perfectly designed back pieces!

Jesus Christ!
    How could I make that mistake?! I remember carefully checking that specific word! :D
    Anyways I meant SLOTS :p
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    sluts made me lol!
  • Reza
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza polycounter lvl 3
    motenai wrote: »
    sluts made me lol!

OK I take it that my comments aren't welcome here. Thanks
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    Reza wrote: »

Pretty sure it just meant he found it funny rather than what you thought it was.
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    Reza wrote: »

Dude i was just saying that "sluts" made me laugh, your comment is more than welcome, and phobalien already answered to it for both of us. :)
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    I quickly concepted this for New Bloom this afternoon....not sure if i'll go for this idea, but i don't mind it for now...

heKGwBK.jpg
  • cottonwings
    Dayum look at dat hair volume. :o
  • Potm
    Offline / Send Message
    Potm keyframe
    the volume of hair reminds me of some japanese ghost

probably it's due to the thickness of the clothes as well, japanese has thicker fabric
  • agito666
    Potm wrote: »
    the volume of hair reminds me of some japanese ghost

probably it's due to the thickness of the clothes as well, japanese has thicker fabric

i think you mean Kabuki, or Jiraiya (similar appearance ) hehe

catphoto.jpg

at last bonus for you:
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXHT9QgVg7U"]YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - YouTube[/ame]

okay finally found the gif i want to show
    emBDw7S.gif
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    Dat Kabuki sound, it's gonna become my new phone ringtone!
    It brings back so many memories of then i used to play Samurai Shodown! ;_;

Edit: AHHHH that gif from KoF 2001 is awesome too
  • bounchfx
    it's the best part of showdowns in Samurai Gunn too.

samurai gunn goty 2014!
    you may have your thread back now. hehehe.
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally finished the sculpt of my Lina set for New Bloom ^_^

GFoJ9d3.jpg
  • darkkyo
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    It's lovely! Very nice job :)
  • TrevorJ
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    super cool man, great job
  • bounchfx
    LOVE IT.

really curious to see how the hair rigs & how she looks in game. She feels like a bad ass sorceress.
  • agito666
    lina's hair will be a damn nice calligraphy pen :P
  • ReMixx
    bounchfx wrote: »
    She feels like a bad ass sorceress.

A Ram-ceress if you will. Ho ho ho ho.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    LOVE IT.

really curious to see how the hair rigs & how she looks in game. She feels like a bad ass sorceress.

Oh man, some of that hair rigged to the dress could give some cool results. Cant wait to see the finished product in my dota :)
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished baking New Bloom Lina

qkoliTv.png
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    Done with painting, time for masks, and then ingame testing

YH76diz.jpg
  • Darren Pinard
    Offline / Send Message
    Darren Pinard polycounter lvl 3
    Lokking awesome Motenai!

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think I heard white was a color that we might want to avoid for new bloom.
    I think it has something to do with death and funerals.

Anyone have any idea?
  • quockhanhlk
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome set ! awesome work!

well about the white color, in my country (vietnam-which is pretty close to china), yes, white is one of the main color ppl use for funerals ( headband, clothing, flags....). But, although our country and china have kinda similar culture, i did look up and rarely find anything white that is related to death and funerals in china ( maybe there isnt, or maybe i didnt find deep enough), so i see no problem to it for now :)
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for taking the time to look it up, and the comments :)
  • Toasty
    Looking really nice Motenai. Would love to know what's contributing to your lighting layers.
    Do you not normally bake a light Spec or gradient pass? Is this Ao + bent normals?
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome set ! awesome work!

well about the white color, in my country (vietnam-which is pretty close to china), yes, white is one of the main color ppl use for funerals ( headband, clothing, flags....). But, although our country and china have kinda similar culture, i did look up and rarely find anything white that is related to death and funerals in china ( maybe there isnt, or maybe i didnt find deep enough), so i see no problem to it for now :)

It *should* be the same in china. White has the association with death and mourning here in chinese-majority Singapore too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_in_Chinese_culture

The textures are looking really good though! And mixed in with the other colours I don't think that the white will be too bad.
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    "White, corresponding with metal, represents gold and symbolizes brightness, purity, and fulfillment. White is also the color of mourning. It is associated with death and is used predominantly in funerals in Chinese culture.[3] Ancient Chinese people wore white clothes and hats only when they mourned for the dead."

I was actually going white more for a sense of good and purity, which kinda fits from this description.
  • agito666
    Unless you are using pure white, otherwise I don't think is a problem, well black is more dangerous than white colour in design in tradtional Chinese mindset.
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    I've never heard of white being associated as such outside of Wikipedia though, and wearing white whilst visiting during Chinese New Year is a massive no no. From my experience the symbolism of death is what comes to mind first. Even if white has other meanings death sorta takes precedence.

I think be careful with the white. Your use of white mixed with orange and gold has been pretty selective though, and should be alright.
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    How about just turn all the white that is metal into silver. And all the cloth into a selection so you can just edit it to whatever color with ease.

Here's also some chinese color's and what they symbolize. The link explains their origins (five elements/ black and white before that).

http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/Chinese_Customs/colours.htm

A possible color choice
    PURPLE - spiritual awareness, physical and mental healing, hence strength, abundance, red purple brings luck and fame. Purple (紫; zǐ) refers to the North Star (Polaris), which in ancient China was called the Ziwei Star, the North Star was in traditional Chinese astrology the abode of the Celestial Emperor. (see also: Purple Forbidden City)

YELLOW- nourishing, supporting, stabilizing, ripening, grounded, solid, reliability,
    sunbeam, warmth, clarity, royalty, good faith, empathy vs anxiety

ORANGE - indicating change, adaptability, spontaneity, strengthens concentration

This is white.
    WHITE - mourning, contracting, withering, righteousness, pureness, confidence, intuition, strength, organisation, death, ancestral spirits, ghosts, courage vs sadness

Five Elements: Metal; Direction: West; Season: autumn; Condition: dry, clear;
    Energy: contracting; Phase: new Yin; Development: withering; Planet: Venus;
    Animal: furred, especially tiger; Celestial creature: (White) Tiger; Fruit: peach; Grain: hemp;
    Action: speech; Sense: smell; Sound: lamenting; Smell: putrid; Taste: pungent, spicy, acrid;
    Trigram bagua: Qian/ Quian, Dui
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    The textures does look nice, but I can't say I really like the white. I feel like there are too many colors being combined. The horns and the white cloth could have at least a gold/red tint IMO. The hair is also looking quite a bit noisy and flat from that view, though it can possibly look a bit better ingame with masks.

Can I see the wirefreame? Wanna check out some stuff on the hair.
  • Potm
    Offline / Send Message
    Potm keyframe
    love how everything turns out, especially the pattern on the frabic, will indeed look good in game :D
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally ingame, now some loading screen work and then it's done.

UFeWgBK.gif
  • Andyk125
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Looks awesome, you're quality is amazing like alwys.
    Only the white doesn't really seem to fit the color sheme, wouldn't be a red variation look better?
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback, in general i dont like heroes with only 2 main colors, so i usually add a third, to better differenciate it from the original.
    In this case i think that white fits the theme of the priestess/sorceress. I think the only other color to make sense would have been black or a very dark gray, but i think it wouldn't have worked so well on the theme side
  • KungFuPanda
    Looks great, but doesn't white mean death in China? asociated to death?

"White, corresponding with metal, represents gold and symbolizes brightness, purity, and fulfillment. White is also the color of mourning. It is associated with death and is used predominantly in funerals in Chinese culture. Ancient Chinese people wore white clothes and hats only when they mourned for the dead." (from wikipedia)

I'm with Andyk125, black would work so much better, it would also make your gold decorations a lot more readable..

Anyway, great set.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    doesn't white mean death in China?

Sure, but aren't the heroes killing each other in every match ? Is "double kill" dubbed differently there ? Are gamers buying dota2 items in China as sensitive about this as the "traditional word" says they are ?

While it is great to pay attention to the symbolism of colors, I don't think it should totally lock us out of using them. Now, my question would be : lets say that in china, someone wears a red t-shirt with a vertical white stripe with gold trims. Would that be considered bad luck/representing death ?

(Not trolling here - just genuinely asking the question)

Now to be fair, the white stripes being highlighted by a gold trim makes them look like a standalone element on their own, and they could be seen as "ribbons representing death". But while skulls are a no-no, is the representation of death through its color really an issue ? (again honest question here, and regardless of the answer that doesn't necessarily mean that the set should be one way or another. Just genuinely curious.)

I am not sure if black would work that well - it's a good idea to try out, but there is no way to make a definitive call before trying it with a paintover. I personally think that black would muddy up the design ...
  • Sumers
    Offline / Send Message
    Sumers polycounter lvl 10
    White looks great and gives really unique look to set. As for this death associations you can google "chinese funeral dress" to make sure it have nothing similar. You guys sound like this color is forbidden in China at all, which is not truth. White elements in dress are totally ok imo.
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    Sure, but aren't the heroes killing each other in every match ? Is "double kill" dubbed differently there ? Are gamers buying dota2 items in China as sensitive about this as the "traditional word" says they are ?

While it is great to pay attention to the symbolism of colors, I don't think it should totally lock us out of using them. Now, my question would be : lets say that in china, someone wears a red t-shirt with a vertical white stripe with gold trims. Would that be considered bad luck/representing death ?

(Not trolling here - just genuinely asking the question)

Now to be fair, the white stripes being highlighted by a gold trim makes them look like a standalone element on their own, and they could be seen as "ribbons representing death". But while skulls are a no-no, is the representation of death through its color really an issue ? (again honest question here, and regardless of the answer that doesn't necessarily mean that the set should be one way or another. Just genuinely curious.)

I am not sure if black would work that well - it's a good idea to try out, but there is no way to make a definitive call before trying it with a paintover. I personally think that black would muddy up the design ...

Wearing a red shirt with a vertical white stripe would imo not be an issue. Wearing a predominantly white shirt with some red in it would still be considered bad luck. Like I said in my post, just be careful when using white.I don't think Motenai has crossed any boundaries with his work. The use of white is tasteful and not over the top.

And let me be clear, white does not mean death in Chinese culture. It's associated with it, but it does not mean it. When I see white ribbons I don't think "oh ribbon's of death!" However things like full white dress or white suits and white candles which are burnt at funerals are so closely related to death it would be good to stay away.

I want to add that Chinese are highly superstitious. You guys might find such things trivial, but to the Chinese it does matter. Wearing mostly white during Chinese New Year and therefore associating death with spring is bad luck. You may not celebrate Chinese New Year fully in the immediate years after a death in the family, and in the first year the CNY writings are to be written on white paper. You should pay off all debts before CNY arrives, otherwise it's bad luck. You cannot spring clean once CNY starts, it's bad luck (you'll sweep the fortune of spring away). This extends from colours, to practices, to handphone and car plate numbers. Personally, I'm not that traditional, so some of my recollections of what means what might be inaccurate, but the general gist of it is there.

I was in Shanghai 2 weeks ago, and there they have statues of a fortune creature called Pixiu - you're allowed to touch it anywhere except for it's teeth because the teeth will "eat" your fortune. Fortune and wealth is very deeply embedded in Chinese culture, so it'd be wise not to underestimate it.
    Sumers wrote: »
    White looks great and gives really unique look to set. As for this death associations you can google "chinese funeral dress" to make sure it have nothing similar. You guys sound like this color is forbidden in China at all, which is not truth. White elements in dress are totally ok imo.

I don't know about rural China, but I doubt people wear that at funerals any more. White elements in dress are certainly not forbidden, but wearing predominantly white during CNY is as I've mentioned earlier considered back luck.

Of course, that being said this is all for some virtual event in an online game. I don't think people are going to be lynched if they submit white coloured cosmetics.
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    Priestess of the Divine Flame for Lina is finally done and in the workshop.
    Link on image.

sZ6lHOn.png
  • bounchfx
    holy crap. freakin' ace. Who did the loading screen for you? heheh

also, I love the white dongs flying out from her waist. A+ would dong again
    but seriously, you got my upvotes. Easily my favorite Lina yet.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    also, I love the white dongs flying out from her waist. A+ would dong again
    but seriously, you got my upvotes. Easily my favorite Lina yet.

hahaha, raise your dongers in hype for this awesome lina!
  • Darren Pinard
    Offline / Send Message
    Darren Pinard polycounter lvl 3
    Youve made it quite easy for Volvo on this one man, great job and congratz on the finish
  • Toasty
    Love it!, your going to have to teach us how you pick your colours and do your bakes!!!
  • sordelko
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    My friend Phobalien and I just finished this Lifestealer for XBOCT Hope you like it ;)
    Link on the image.

dgtleVn.jpg

LS_turn_big.gif
  • cosmicsugar
    omfg that's actually terrifying
    beautifully made, but I'm scared now
  • Vovosunt
    Offline / Send Message
    Vovosunt polycounter lvl 4
    I really like it :D
    Thought rather than scary I find it borderline hilarious XD
  • Sebostian
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebostian polycounter lvl 7
    Oh.. I see you finaly do it, But he's still scary as before =)
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Really awesome work Motenai. I just fear it might be borderline horrifying. Anyone has an idea what is the age rating on Dota 2?
  • Reyne
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    oops double post