Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4]Soviet Flats Environment

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
riot polycounter lvl 11
[LAST WIP]

screenshit_10_by_skate54-d89uxws.png

[/LAST WIP]
I'm working on a new environment inspired by the typical architecture of romanian buildings.

It's still early wip, i am planning on adding some vegetation, more props like trash cans, light posts and garbage on the ground, maybe some bigger puddles and more decals like graffitis and more grime.

Feedback is appreciated!

screenshit_1_by_skate54-d87wcbt.png

screenshit_2_by_skate54-d87wcb1.png

screenshit_3_by_skate54-d87wcak.png

Thanks!

Replies

• Leech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leech polycounter lvl 18
    Wow killer lighting and mood- what is your setup? Definitely looks like some color grading going on.
  • Ervin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ervin polycounter lvl 7
    Welp, you've depressed me. Good work.
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Очень хорошо, не может ждать, чтобы увидеть это закончить!

Feels really dead. Whether or not that is your intention, seeing a tree or two and some birds could really help this out a lot.
  • PyroGXPilot
  • jeremiah_bigley
  • Sebvhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebvhe greentooth
    You should definitely have a look at this :

http://vimeo.com/112681885

Anyway it seems your off to a good start !
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
  • CandyStripes05
  • riot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riot polycounter lvl 11
    Leech - thanks! yeah, i've heavily used post processing fx and color grading. lighting is a simple, static directional light+a few point lights. i also tweaked the sky colors a lot, which i think gave a huge change to the scene.

ervin - wow, i still havent added the props which should create a story around the environment (and potentially make people feel sad xD) but i'm glad the environment is already giving that vibe

stirls - thanks man! i'm not russian though, i'm romanian :) i'm going to add some trees and vegetation soon. good suggestion about the birds, definitely going to add some.

PyroGXPilot, jeremiah_bigley: haha thanks! i'll tone down a bit CA, i might have gotten a little bit overexcited with it.

Sebvhe - awesome, thanks for the video!
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    I don't know what mood are you going for but if you're striving to achieve a realistic look you have some problems so far (in my opinion). I experience these environments first hand every day so I have something to critique.

1)Lighting is off. If you look online for references you see such palette a lot but it's doctored to look beatiful and not ugly. It looks too tasty, you never see such palette here. First, bluesh tint you have there is way overdone. It should be either more yellow-orange or white, or green if you want to capture some light from neon and streetlights near apartment buildings.

See this for reference -
    60823530.jpg
    48809125.jpg
    DSCF1106.jpg

2)Also you have too much blue in your shadows, it should be more greyish. EVERYTHING should be more gray because it's the color which prevails over everything here.

p5050013.jpg
    PIC_15886.JPG
    1333360476_xram1.jpg

As for buildings apart from lack of air conditioners:

Tk6tQVN.png

I snapped some photos for you on my way home, you can use it if you want - http://imgur.com/a/VjdnT

DrVFi3t.jpg
    FZOT006.jpg
    sKJbK2v.jpg

And too much chromatic abberration.

But I like where you're going, would be happy to see it finished.
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Hmmm. will be watching this :D
  • Bedrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bedrock polycounter lvl 10
    I looked up some refs given how you didn't provide any.. which you should do for maximum criticism! :p

Bucharest_ghetto.jpg

22652063.jpg

Try and modulate more pieces. You can see that there is a huge variety of small details, like the different paint colors around the windows, "personalized" balconies, clothes hanging, broken windows and other damage, etc. Khrushchovka type buildings are generally pretty boring and bland, but these details would really give your piece some soul to it.

You will also want to inject some color variety into the different buildings, even if it's something simple like different shades of brown and grey. You can see in Dzibarik's photos how sometimes the balconies are white whilst the walls are brown for example.

I also don't really notice that black, seeping goo under the windows, or at least not that prominently. You will probably want to dial those back a bit if you are going for more realism.

url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FRomanian_architecture&ei=CYh4VMuVFMHmavL2gdgH&bvm=bv.80642063,d.d2s&psig=AFQjCNEF1CBwonibE-GRHy_jWv1dHyqV0g&ust=1417271671852802
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    yay commieblocks. One of the subjects I'd like to do an environment someday :)
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bedrock wrote: »
    I looked up some refs given how you didn't provide any.. which you should do for maximum criticism! :p

Bucharest_ghetto.jpg

I saw this photo and thought that something is off, it couldn't be Russia/Ukraine/Belorussia and yes, it's Hungary. It's sort of East Bloc but not quite "stalkerish" if Riot is going for this. But judging from these refs buildings were modelled from them.
  • Bedrock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bedrock polycounter lvl 10
    dzibarik wrote: »
    I saw this photo and thought that something is off, it couldn't be Russia/Ukraine/Belorussia and yes, it's Hungary. It's sort of East Bloc but not quite "stalkerish" if Riot is going for this. But judging from these refs buildings were modelled from them.

I'm just going to assume you are trying to be funny, saying that Bucharest is in Hungary ;)
  • Swarm22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swarm22 polycounter lvl 15
    I'm interested to know your method for creating the garbage on the streets.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bedrock wrote: »
    I'm just going to assume you are trying to be funny, saying that Bucharest is in Hungary ;)

Lol, no! I've just asked a colleague instead of Google. My apologies.
  • Sammy101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sammy101 polycounter lvl 6
    Hey if you would could you show us your tiles for the concrete? I'm wanting to create something much similiar to what you've made, essentially apartments in the US. :)
  • riot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riot polycounter lvl 11
    wow guys, thank you very much for your help and all the references. they're extremely useful! i've already collected some references, but more is always better.

dzibarik - thank you man for all the references and the paintover, they're awesome! you're right, lighting is not too realistic - i'm trying to go for a more cinematic, atmospheric look with strong colors. windows and improvised balconies are inspired from this reference, which is a building from ferentari, bucharest's gypsy ghetto. i agree about the ledge size and lines between the slabs, gonna fix that soon. good suggestion about the pavement around buildings. air conditioners i something i still haven't created, but i will as soon as i finish what i'm working on now and the foliage.

bedrock - thank you for the reference, they're great, just what i was looking for. you're right, those photos are definitely romanian, those cars are made in romania and were really common a few years ago. i will add more props like clothes hanging, more damage and maybe more improvised balconies later, but first i'll create more general assets before going into details. i like your suggestion about color variation, gonna consider that.

swarm22 - its pretty straightforward, nothing too fancy. I generated a heightmap with bitmap2material from a garbage pile photo from cgtextures, imported it to zbrush, applied it to a plane and sculpted it a bit to give it some more form. Added some garbage bags i already had aswell, to give more variation. Exported the sculpted heightmap afterwards, created a opacity mask for the garbage pile in photoshop, and imported it to ue4, where i applied it to a simple plane, created a material that used tesselation and the opacity mask, and then placed the plane around the level. the texture itself looks like this

sammy101 - sure, for now i have these tiles, but i'm planning on adding more modular pieces to them. they're all put in a blueprint, which is placed all arund the level, so if i add new pieces its really easy and almost automatic to propagate the changes around the level. they're all using the same concrete texture for now.
  • Sammy101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sammy101 polycounter lvl 6
    riot wrote: »
    wow guys, thank you very much for your help and all the references. they're extremely useful! i've already collected some references, but more is always better.

dzibarik - thank you man for all the references and the paintover, they're awesome! you're right, lighting is not too realistic - i'm trying to go for a more cinematic, atmospheric look with strong colors. windows and improvised balconies are inspired from this reference, which is a building from ferentari, bucharest's gypsy ghetto. i agree about the ledge size and lines between the slabs, gonna fix that soon. good suggestion about the pavement around buildings. air conditioners i something i still haven't created, but i will as soon as i finish what i'm working on now and the foliage.

bedrock - thank you for the reference, they're great, just what i was looking for. you're right, those photos are definitely romanian, those cars are made in romania and were really common a few years ago. i will add more props like clothes hanging, more damage and maybe more improvised balconies later, but first i'll create more general assets before going into details. i like your suggestion about color variation, gonna consider that.

swarm22 - its pretty straightforward, nothing too fancy. I generated a heightmap with bitmap2material from a garbage pile photo from cgtextures, imported it to zbrush, applied it to a plane and sculpted it a bit to give it some more form. Added some garbage bags i already had aswell, to give more variation. Exported the sculpted heightmap afterwards, created a opacity mask for the garbage pile in photoshop, and imported it to ue4, where i applied it to a simple plane, created a material that used tesselation and the opacity mask, and then placed the plane around the level. the texture itself looks like this

sammy101 - sure, for now i have these tiles, but i'm planning on adding more modular pieces to them. they're all put in a blueprint, which is placed all arund the level, so if i add new pieces its really easy and almost automatic to propagate the changes around the level. they're all using the same concrete texture for now.

Thanks Riot. :)
  • JohnDraisey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, this ended up being a super informative thread, especially Dzibarik's detailed notes on the building render. I can see now how it's important to think about the internal structure of the building since certain windows are designed for Living Quarters while others are for Stairs.
  • riot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riot polycounter lvl 11
    i made some progress on this environment, still lots of work to do and many things to fix though. i tried to add more variation overall and tone down the crazy colors, also added some more props and vegetation and some far away buildings.

screenshit_6_by_skate54-d895c8o.png

screenshit_7_by_skate54-d895c7o.png

screenshit_8_by_skate54-d895c6g.png

screenshit_9_by_skate54-d895c5o.png
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    that lighting is very sweet now, wouldnt change that (exept maybe the blue entrance light)

i feel youre missing out on some climatic boxes or how they are called. Usually they hang like bugs everywhere on such flats, and also would make the facades more messy, which is likely what you want . Also some bad graffity maybe, but nothing with too much visual impact
  • riot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riot polycounter lvl 11
    made some progress, still wip but getting closer to finishing this piece
    i'll give some love to the ground next, some more assets and variation and probably create a few window variations

screenshit_10_by_skate54-d89uxws.png

screenshit_13_by_skate54-d89uxv2.png

screenshit_11_by_skate54-d89uxw7.png
  • Tepcio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tepcio polycounter lvl 8
    It's getting there, yay! Tune down the point lights in the windows, I see where you are going with these but the bounce light from the interior would be much more subtle.

Also, you might want to try placing point lights near hard edged shadows (if there is something that light can bounce off)

HvVDtxE.gif

this will help to soften the shadows a little, hope you get the idea.

I love how it's developing, keep it up!
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    Nice environment. It reminds me more of projects/banlieue in a French or Southern European city tho.
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    much, much better!
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some comments in the attachment
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    I lived in Latvia for 16 years, I dont get the vibe of the location I lived in at all. Environment is nice, but the "atmosphere" isnt there.
  • martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martinszeme polycounter lvl 8
    I believe the piece is more about pretty much any eastern block country in late 80s/90s in decay. So not specifically Latvia. Funny enough I am also from Latvia. :)

Have to agree with others about the lights being a bit too strong near the windows. But its getting along very nicely!
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, you have to admit that most of soviet controlled areas have same distinct look across be it Latvia or Kazakhstan or whatever.
  • martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo wrote: »
    Well, you have to admit that most of soviet controlled areas have same distinct look across be it Latvia or Kazakhstan or whatever.

Oh totally. I agree with that. I just feel this environment to be stylised so some artistic freedom is alright in regards to place/time and general atmosphere.

Sorry for going offtopic though.
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I completely agree with you, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Point I was trying to make is that it simply doesn't feel like its Soviets made area. For example games such as STALKER or Metro give off that atmosphere pretty well. It might be worth looking into them just for the pure ref. Anyhow, good work none the less!
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo wrote: »
    I completely agree with you, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Point I was trying to make is that it simply doesn't feel like its Soviets made area. For example games such as STALKER or Metro give off that atmosphere pretty well. It might be worth looking into them just for the pure ref. Anyhow, good work none the less!

the reason for this is that the artist referenced romanian buildings and slums and they are very distinct from Latvia, Lithuania, Ukraine, Belorussia and Russia. I've noticed this too.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    the grafittys break the original aesthetic in my opinion

try making the text not readable, and it all a lot more worn off so it is barely visible
    the graffity fonts and the painted guy have way too much character for this dull atmosphere you want

also noteworthy that text is about 3x stronger than any other visual element, as the brain is trained recognizing it every day.
  • riot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riot polycounter lvl 11
    i made a flythrough video for this environment

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-asbFRds8M[/ame]

haven't changed really much, just added a few props and made this video.
    i'm wrapping this one up, going to start my first job on the industry very soon and i don't think i'll have enough time to keep working on this.
    thanks for all the feedback, its been really helpful!
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    congrats on breaking in!
  • MaccyF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome environment man! Good luck with your new job :)
  • martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome job mate! Congrats on the job, you deserve it!
  • EosOfOrcus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EosOfOrcus polycounter lvl 4
    Hi riot i really like your environment dude it looks great. But my opinion is that the blue neon sign draws way to much attention on my eye and it doesn't blend with the rest of the scene. i think an orange or red colour would fit nicely