Home Quixel Megascans

AO Mask Generation Problem

akaChris
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
akaChris polycounter lvl 6
Hi guys,

after a lot of testing I decided to clean up this thread a bit to make it easier to understand the issue.

The problem is that using a color map breaks cavity and ao masks. Leaving the color map slot empty produces nice and correct ao and cavity masks. The issue is most prominent with rich occl

The following project (see pictures) has been created in v1.7c with these settings: calibration Profile: Cryengine, 16 bit materials, high quality curvature, texel density 1024 (changing these settings does not have a positive effect on this issue)

The issue happens to maps that come straight from xnormal just the same as it does to ndo processed maps. Even using just a single color texture as color map has an adverse effect on the quality of ao and cavity masks

this is a real showstopper for me since all smart materials turn out crap with these bad occl and cav masks. not using a color mask is not an option obviously.

cheers,
Chris

Replies

• akaChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    after downgrading to 1.6, the error cannot be reproduced there. so it must be something that got introduced with 1.7

could this have to do with the new dilation or seam termination support?

here are some tests that I found gave interesting results:
    using pure white color map = everything seems fine
    completely black color map = crash during processing System.Runtime.Interop.Services.COMException (0x80042260): General Photoshop error occured
    color map half black half white = white parts work, black parts smooth out entire image. (as expected with the new features.)

using the initial setup but removing the black color (by using dark grey instead) fixes the mask issues.

so in summary I would say that using black color is bugged at the moment? probably has an effect on other maps that it shouldn't?
  • akaChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    original post updated