Home Technical Talk

How would you emulate iridescent/pearlescent materials in PBR?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Rooster128 polycounter lvl 8
How would you emulate iridescent/pearlescent materials in PBR? Things like bug shells, soap bubbles, oil patches, etc. I've seen many ways people emulate the look using a non-PBR workflow- by using a saturated specular map or environment map. But since PBR works on the principle of light conservation, what would be the "correct" way to go about iridescence?

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iridescent/pearlescent are sort of their own thing, and would likely require a custom shader.

Soap bubbles, oil patches etc can be done with a Newton's ring shader. We have a Newton's rings specular model which can be added to the secondary reflection slot in Toolbag 2.

Check it out:
    newtonsrings.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, if you disable culling back faces in the mesh (to make it double sided) that helps.

Now the real question, what is the reflectivity of soapy water?

newtonsrings2.jpg
    Top: 4% reflective
    Bottom: 15% reflective

Anddd with a detail normal map and displacement map it break it up a bit. IT would be cool to have some sort of oil map or something for the Newtons ring model but this is probably as close as I can get without custom shader work.

newtonsrings04.jpg
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    You could probably do the oil smear effect using aniso with a tangent/direction map...

But yeah, iridescent/pearlescent are kind of their own thing and almost certainly would require a custom shader
  • Rooster128
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rooster128 polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the information guys. It's as I expected really- was just wondering how robust PBR might be. This Newton ring model looks really awesome!