Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UBoat Environment - looking for feedback

Hello!

This is the last peace I wanted to add to my portfolio before starting to look for internships.

This environment is meant to represent a large submarine that is used for researching and for doing experiments that need to remain under wraps.

My main goals with this environment was to learn more about hard surface since I didn't really know much about it from before.
Also, I wanted to have a chance to work with larger environments and learn how I should go about building them.

The concept was inspired by Wolfenstein: The New Order and I tried to look a lot at the art of the entire game as a whole but also to individual artists such as Tor Frick and Nicholas Cort. I tried to understand how they model and I challenged myself to get as close as I could to their quality.

Here is a flythrough the environment

[vv]106523685[/vv]

And here are some shots

4a0fb00d8c8d011c0c83a2b519ba5695.jpg
3ee1a4476a5176f4af423f2a3816c1a6.jpg
856849a5e94c3d4386f5452f95b39b76.jpg
4f52b620cb6d1666892f4dce1a2ee5d7.jpg

Props:

LabTable_PresShot01.jpg
SpeakingTube_PresShot01.jpg
Door_PresShot01.jpg
7f55a5abd60e79681506ef7024c5c80d.jpg
63dbc611c0e64bbd2c44f9e9b5c4bf3d.jpg
27b03c6f6f44cd19974c638b688b71db.jpg
ee1a77574093f929b87cc44cad069db0.jpg

This is the end of the first stage of this peace. The next part will be to put together the command room. But before moving to that, since I will be using a lot of the assets that are already in the engine, I want to take in some feedback and see how I could improve what I already have. I will also have to send my applications for internships soon so I think its a good time to take a step back and see what I can do to push this environment and make it better.

Any critiques would be much appreciated!

Cheers!

Dan

Replies

• DanMihaila
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wanted to show quickly some progress shots so here they are:

ccf87f279961fd219ed02550f8adbb25.jpg
    1f9168483a7e1403d23509f80aed3ca5.jpg
    a54d9f36c8dc585947b868aecdd2bbd5.jpg

And some textures. This was made in Cryengine 3.5.8 so everything is using the pre-PBR way of texturing.

LabTable_TextureShowOff.jpg
    Gadgets_TextureShowOff.jpg
    7ad1b1d78ada44b2f2fdeddc99e9cda3.jpg
  • grimsonfart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    grimsonfart polycounter lvl 4
    Damn cool dude. No noticable crits as far as i can see!!
  • DanMihaila
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn cool dude. No noticable crits as far as i can see!!

Thank you! :)
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    Doesn't feel as cramped as a uboat should really, apart from that not allot I can crit on.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aside from being spacious, it's also rather clean & well-lit for a u-boat; there was a reason they were known as "pig-boats." Overall, it feels more like a futuristic spacecraft, or possibly an advanced nuclear sub with a few anachronistic details.

Of course, a real sub would make for a very cramped FPS with only a single corridor...
  • DanMihaila
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the replies!
    Gilgamesh wrote: »
    Doesn't feel as cramped as a uboat should really, apart from that not allot I can crit on.

I agree with you here and regarding scale, I think this is one of the main things I would change. While I still want to convey the idea of a large submarine, I agree that the hallway is larger than it should. Also, there is indeed more stuff going in a real submarine.

DWalker wrote: »
    Aside from being spacious, it's also rather clean & well-lit for a u-boat; there was a reason they were known as "pig-boats." Overall, it feels more like a futuristic spacecraft, or possibly an advanced nuclear sub with a few anachronistic details.

Of course, a real sub would make for a very cramped FPS with only a single corridor...

Do you have any suggestion regarding the lighting? Are there specific areas that give you that feeling or is a rather overall feel that you get?
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It really depends on what you're after. A realistic WWII-era boat would be dimly lit, typically with only red light at night to preserve night vision. A modern US nuclear sub would be brightly lit. The same also applies to the overall appearance. A boomer will be pristine, while a working sub from WWII will be damp, with grease & oil in the most improbable places. And be thankful that the smell can't be re-created...

This is from a movie set (Das Boot, of course), but should give you an idea of how crowded a WWII boat would be. American & British boats were similar, and Japanese ships were even tighter. Also note the bare bulbs - they'd provide the main source of light, and were fairly sparsely placed.
    Bavaria_Filmstudio_Das_Boot_3.jpg

Now compare that to a modern sub:
    inside_sub.jpg

Of course, you don't need to limit yourself to reality, but I often find it's a good starting point. Personally, I've felt that a realistic warship could make a great map, but I don't see anything smaller than a heavy cruiser working well - small ships are just too crowded for much maneuvering or many hidden spaces.
  • DanMihaila
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @DWalker

Thank you for pointing this stuff out! I'll come back soon after I'll experiment some stuff in my scene. I was looking at the regular bulbs in your image and I'll try to see what happens if I tone down a bit my lamps.