Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Alien Prince

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Suba polycounter lvl 5
I have to finish this little dude, and I'd appreciate some feedbacks from you guys.

There is still detailing and polishing to do.
I wanted to make an alienish creature that kinda looks like he is a prince, or at least has a high rank and is respected among his tribe.

1186630001b.jpg

8003190003b.jpg

Replies

• Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
  • FrancisR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FrancisR polycounter lvl 2
    Nice work man, the body is clean and looks like it was properly ''built''. I'm no character artist though so take what I say with a grain of salt.

One thing though is that the face seems a bit blobby. The lines aren't flowing as propely and could get a bit more love. Same with some hard edges on the armor. Overall though it's coming along nicely.
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks man! Yeah it makes sense, I spent way more time on the body than the face so it shows. Gonna rework that and the hard surface stuff !
  • Jenesis1214
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the design and the details. Only issue I have is perhaps the tail is a bit thin and nondescript in regards to the rest of it's body. I can see it getting lost against any kind of background. It almost doesn't need the tail. If you are trying to break up it's silhouette from the side view perhaps make the tail a bit thicker closer to the body or have the tail follow a similar style to the head knobs.
  • Yuriynyr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing attention to detail! Agree with Jenesis, tail is kind of thin but overall is looking great.
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KristaW polycounter lvl 9
    Hey,

Some parts of this look clean and nicely detailed but there are parts that get a little sloppy and I think it would help to clean those parts up before moving on.

The gauntlets are awkwardly clipping into the forearm. I would very carefully pull those out a little. The gauntlets also clip into the thumb and the top rim of them clips into the arm. The loincloth is also clipping into the ass on the profile shot. There are some other minor clippings around the model as well but those are the most noticeable.

Then there are some things that don't look right in my opinion. The armor looks close to being crisp but it still looks wavy/lumpy. This is especially apparent in the gauntlets. The leg anatomy doesn't feel right (even though it is an alien). It feels lumpy and I think the lumpiness of the loincloth is adding to this effect. The pouch on the leg looks the worst to me and if you don't have time to finish it I would take it out. And lastly, in the profile view the bottom eyelid looks chewed up and it does not look purposeful.

Sorry about the flood of critique. It's obvious that you have spent some time on this and I think there are some cool things happening here making it worth it to clean it up. :)
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    I love the design and the details. Only issue I have is perhaps the tail is a bit thin and nondescript in regards to the rest of it's body. I can see it getting lost against any kind of background. It almost doesn't need the tail. If you are trying to break up it's silhouette from the side view perhaps make the tail a bit thicker closer to the body or have the tail follow a similar style to the head knobs.
    Yuriynyr wrote: »
    Amazing attention to detail! Agree with Jenesis, tail is kind of thin but overall is looking great.

Thanks guys! Yeah you are right, the tail did not fit. I'm making it bigger and shorter and I think it looks better already.

KristaW wrote: »
    Hey,

Some parts of this look clean and nicely detailed but there are parts that get a little sloppy and I think it would help to clean those parts up before moving on.

The gauntlets are awkwardly clipping into the forearm. I would very carefully pull those out a little. The gauntlets also clip into the thumb and the top rim of them clips into the arm. The loincloth is also clipping into the ass on the profile shot. There are some other minor clippings around the model as well but those are the most noticeable.

Then there are some things that don't look right in my opinion. The armor looks close to being crisp but it still looks wavy/lumpy. This is especially apparent in the gauntlets. The leg anatomy doesn't feel right (even though it is an alien). It feels lumpy and I think the lumpiness of the loincloth is adding to this effect. The pouch on the leg looks the worst to me and if you don't have time to finish it I would take it out. And lastly, in the profile view the bottom eyelid looks chewed up and it does not look purposeful.

Sorry about the flood of critique. It's obvious that you have spent some time on this and I think there are some cool things happening here making it worth it to clean it up. :)

There is no such things as too much feedbacks ! Thanks actually :)

Yeah you are right. Got rid of major clipping. It was dirty indeed.
    Gonna continue to work on those armor pieces then, I'm getting cleaner but I have the feel I don't use the right technique to get a clean look. I just use the Hpolish brush but it feels like I took the long road with this.

For the pounch, it was just a skectch actually, I don't think I gonna keep it. Maybe gonna create some sort of a holster for him to wear a weapon.

I gonna see how to fix this eyelid.

What part of the leg feel lumpy in your opinion?

Okay so, cleaned the face and some parts of armor. Added some pieces and details. Changed the tail:

172103AAA.jpg

viewer.php?id=603048AAA2.jpg603048AAA2.jpg

287543AAA3.jpg
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    Working on textures and maps now !

343943test.png
  • JamesMeader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
    I really like this. I particularly like the royal vibe going on. Would be nice if you add some variations to the gold like adding some jewels or rubies. Keep up the good work!
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Oh.
    I love it.

Maybe ease up a little on the AO, if it's on the diffuse I'd stay away from that (subjectively, seperate AO map looks best if you can afford it). I also feel like there's AO missing where I'd expect it to be, but eehhhh, I think something's missing in the maps altogether so it's probably that this is just a WIP. Are you planning on using separate spec and gloss inputs, or only spec?

Looking forward to seeing the final product, because hot damn this is my jam. I adore the details on the armor, and the little trinkets hanging from it. Please do keep it up.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Sweet character design, and I think you hit the nail on the head with going for the royal look with that red and gold.

I agree with James, he could use some rubie bling :D
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    I really like this. I particularly like the royal vibe going on. Would be nice if you add some variations to the gold like adding some jewels or rubies. Keep up the good work!
    Deathstick wrote: »
    Sweet character design, and I think you hit the nail on the head with going for the royal look with that red and gold.

I agree with James, he could use some rubie bling :D

Thanks guys ! Yeah that could be lovely indeed. I gonna see what I can do about these rubies. Appreciate the feedbacks.
    BagelHero wrote: »
    Oh.
    I love it.

Maybe ease up a little on the AO, if it's on the diffuse I'd stay away from that (subjectively, seperate AO map looks best if you can afford it). I also feel like there's AO missing where I'd expect it to be, but eehhhh, I think something's missing in the maps altogether so it's probably that this is just a WIP. Are you planning on using separate spec and gloss inputs, or only spec?

Looking forward to seeing the final product, because hot damn this is my jam. I adore the details on the armor, and the little trinkets hanging from it. Please do keep it up.

Thanks I really appreciate. I will. :)
    Yeah now that you say that... I actually put some of my AO on my diffuse but I also have my AO active in marmoset so I guess that's why it's too dark. And you are right, I also have that feel, I think it comes from the fact that I have to tweak my global AO cause some areas (like under the armor) should be shaded but they're not, so it looks odd.
    I was not planning to make a gloss map, but I guess I should consider it, don't know if I will have the time though cause I have to wrap up this little fella pretty soon. :)

Will post updates asap !
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    Well, the rubies were a really good idea indeed !
    I'm pretty much finished with this fella.

416958alirenderfinal.png

2368180002.png
  • mag7spy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mag7spy polycounter lvl 5
    Looks pretty cool, but I feel the tail is a bit out of place. there are a lot of triangles making him seem a bit more menacing but the round image of the tail seems to go against that adding a more cute image to him. Though forgive me if that is just the pose and the tail is going to be posed differently in movement,
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    Really like the skin, the cloth feels a little bit off to me though but still reads well :). Good job
  • Fogbrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fogbrain polycounter lvl 5
    Really nice textures, clean and simple. Did you polypaint it?

Either way, looks fantastic.
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    Fogbrain wrote: »
    Really nice textures, clean and simple. Did you polypaint it?

Either way, looks fantastic.
    Thanks a lot ! Yup, all polypainted :)
    Really like the skin, the cloth feels a little bit off to me though but still reads well :). Good job
    Thanks, I'll work on that, I guess it lacks some spec/gloss.
    mag7spy wrote: »
    Looks pretty cool, but I feel the tail is a bit out of place. there are a lot of triangles making him seem a bit more menacing but the round image of the tail seems to go against that adding a more cute image to him. Though forgive me if that is just the pose and the tail is going to be posed differently in movement,
    Yeah you are right. I thought about it actually, I wanted him to be a cold prince, that's why all the the triangles, but I also wanted him to be "good", that's why the roundness of the tail. Maybe it's a mistake actually haha, I gonna think about it for sure. Thank you man.
  • mag7spy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mag7spy polycounter lvl 5
    No problem always willing to help and work together to make an art piece even stronger!

To have a layer of positive energy (good) I myself would actually approach it with posing the character in a small scene or a few bit of props. I feel it is a underlay feeling that might be seen more so though how the character actually acts (Eyes could really help play a huge role to bring out some warmth in the scene as he is actually acting. His overall look could right way make most people see him as cold as their mind explores and reflects their own thoughts onto him but only when they gaze beyond his cold demeanor (which he is in action) and begin to open up their heart to him more.

I hope that makes sense XD