Home Contests & Challenges Archives UT Master Challenge: Concept Art

UTMC - Drop Zone

Thought I'd try to give this one a go since UT has always been my favorite FPS :)

I had not seen any concepts with this theme yet so I'll give it a shot.

Idea: Drop Zone.
Spawnpoints at ships that surrounds the site so everyone starts by jumping/thrown down from a ship. Of course you could snipe the others while in air if you have the skills. Can you survive long enough to experience the impact you should head into the main site which is inside the dome where the most part of the power-ups are distributed. Sounds like a fun map too me!

I have only just begun sketching on this idea and hopefully I'll have something ready before deadline.

utyQVmj.jpg

Replies

• FirebornForm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's important to take note on the difference in this contest we are not designing levels, we are designing visual themes that Epic can use to build levels with. Focus on the playable area that people would see most of. IE Focus on "the main site which is inside the dome where the most part of the power-ups are distributed."

While a different idea, I would never make a map like this simply because of what you said.
    "Of course you could snipe the others while in air if you have the skills."

Even though we're not designing levels, I have my own opinion that this is not a good fit for UT and here's why. People will have the skills believe me, and this entire map would become a spawn raping snipers heaven and hell for everyone else. That sort of scenario would be totally not fun when you can't ever get out of the drop zone area.

When people like this exist with unreasonably good headshot skills well that pretty much ruins the idea. I would think this map would just end up being a shooting gallery for sniper fanatics and that's about it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRUWzpzk9f8"]ramdropje plays Unreal Tournament - E12 - Pew Pew Pew. - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrBw3QghqnY&index=9&list=PLtkK2xXlKHsOdowhVZmuFWwhq3bYhjVk0"]ramdropje plays Unreal Tournament - E09 - Let's grab some flags! - YouTube[/ame]

I guarantee you that we'll see a ton of these kind of players in the new UT because they are in every FPS. Now that's kind of Epic's battle to try to tackle but I wouldn't encourage camping shooting galleries like Facing Worlds X10 because not only are you completely helpless while falling, you don't have the ability to dodge anything just falling. This sort of scenario would be novel at first but quickly wear thin on people's nerves and might even make people quit the game out of frustration.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx for the feedback!

I think you misunderstood me a bit here. If you can shoot while dropping down from a ship you are not helpless, but It's been a while since I played some UT. Can one not use your weapon while in air anymore? I also meant that you cannot stay aboard the ship and camp there you will be dropped to the ground so the spawnpoint would actually be outside the ship then to correct. Or do you mean that you are sitting ducks for the people on the ground to snipe?
  • FirebornForm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The last one, the people in the air are sitting ducks to people on the ground. UT4 doesn't have air-dodging like from 2k4 what I can tell in alpha gameplay so the only defense people would have while falling would be minor air control with the primary default gun you spawn with.

But like I said, we're not designing levels just themes to look cool.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fair enough.

I finished the inside of the dome and was thinking some sort of a botanic garden could be cool.

awdMvnQ.jpg
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems like I just going to have to be satisfied with two : (

mzNYy7y.jpg