Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Blizzardfest 2014 GA Challenge - Master Thread

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
praetus interpolator
So, after people talking about it here I thought it may be better to create a master thread for anyone entering the Blizzardfest 2014 contest. Since Polycount isn't officially entering the competition, this single thread may be a fun way to post your work on PC without having a barrage (assuming anyone plans on entering) of posts. Feel free to post any progress, critiques, or links to the official thread you create here. Let's keep things positive and help prop each other up to become better artists. Good luck to everyone and have fun.

Replies

• praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    So, the entry I've chosen to create is going to be the Night Elf Glaive Launcher from WC2 and WoW. I want to create something that looks great but fits within the technical specs of WoW (or at least what I hope will). While I plan on sculpting in ZBrush, final textures will be diffuse with the possibility of some spec (not sure if wow handles any spec through textures or if it is a flat numerical value)

My official thread

point of reference
    B3JQtD3.jpg

and some more ref in an album
  • Azaraen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azaraen polycounter lvl 10
    Hi! I've started my entry, and I will be making a Naga Druid! I love nature infused armor, and since the Naga used to be elves, I figured this would be a neat match!

My Contest Entry

Here's one of my references:
    6cpv8lC.jpg

And my progress!
    p6oUQnb.jpg?1

Thanks for getting this started praetus!
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    So yeah will try this one out.

http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/threads/63402-Blizzardfest-2014-3D-Jonas-Ronnegard-Widow-General?p=575705#post575705

Recreating the Widow mine, making it more into an all around General type kind of character, looks kinda weak and cute and not really heroish so I have a lot of thinking to do.

I did a 3D blockout will probably change a lot though.

hopefully I can finish, but so much stuff to do.

116kz8w.jpg

2qmm1y0.jpg
  • drazeni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arghh i want to do this challenge so Badly need to find time to work around uni and my job to do it.
    i would Love to do an orc Riding a Wolf
  • Lowpawly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome! Anybody entering good luck, I will be cheering for all my Polycount brethren!
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Started to concept some stuff out. I think the way I am going to make this a "hero" item is to step it in some lore. After the Horde crept into Ashenvale and razed the forests for lumber, the Night Elves had had a harder time maintaining siege weapons. To help repair and replace parts, the Druids have stepped up to "grow" replacements. I want the vehicle to maintain the same shape and function but be created from enchanted wood. I'm also going to try and incorporate some of the Druid shapeshift forms into the design. Here's some sketches so far. Hoping to start blocking out the model tomorrow once I finish fleshing out the concept.

sOT4Nlf.jpg
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Best Idea ever! Really wanted to show my progress over here to, this is an awesome way of doing it :) and we get all the awesomeness from everyone gathered in one single Thread!
  • Cremuss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cremuss polycounter lvl 12
    Go go go polycount :)

Here is my WIP. I'm doing a succubus. The idea is to paint her at a special point in her life, when she sees the light again and become sort of priestess/succubus combo hehe :)

BlizzardFest_BrainStorming_1.jpgBlizzardFest_BrainStorming_2.jpgBlizzardFest_WIP_001.jpgBlizzardFest_WIP_006.jpg

working on the human base mesh at the moment. Wings and all will come later :)
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    So, no real 3D yet as I'm finishing up my mood board/concepts. I threw together a photobash from stuff in the game in the bottom corner to give an idea of what I'm going for.

4PPvA0V.jpg

CRITIQUES!

Evolvyn: If going for a Sea Druid, I would make sure to look at Druid armor sets in game and think of similar result using things like coral, shells, etc. Really try to ground it within her surrounding and what someone tied to the sea may use for materials. Don't just throw stuff on her that Druid look. You need to redefine what a "druid" would be from the abyss.

Jonas Ronnegard: Neat concept. Right now it looks kind of plain though. (Although I know it is very early in development) I would try and find way to punch it up with making it more badass and giving it more character. If it's being made into a hero, what sets it apart? Does it have a personality? Is it the Wall-E of widow mines? Did someone strap a ton of extra explosives to it?

Cremuss: Good start but are you looking to keep the story within the lore? I only ask because Succubus in WoW are a demon race. They were never human to begin with. As for the model I think that maybe the face is too long from front to back (the face sticks out kind of far) and the shoulders seem to be pushed back. Good start though.
  • DVL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DVL polycounter lvl 9
    loving your work very much so far praetus! you're a way better planner than I am ;)

For my part I've begun working on a skeleton mage from Diablo 2. I'm goin straight to some modeling based off a bunch of various references I've picked here and there.

The workthread is here:
    http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/threads/63440-Blizzardfest-3D-Skeletal-Mage

01_BaseShape2.jpg

I'm not much of a character artist (I usually work in environment) so this is clearly a fun challenge and gets me out of my comfort zone :)
  • DVL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DVL polycounter lvl 9
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Pretty cool progress DVL. I like the proportions but it throws me off that some of the anatomy doesn't match (three toes, fingers, etc). It also kind of reminds me of some Darksiders stuff. I would check out some of the work on Darksiders. The look you're going for kind of matches I think.

Tohan Kim
    Crystel Land
    Maddy Taylor Kenyon
    Gray Ginther
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Started sculpting the bear head at the front. Most of this will look like it is made from wood, but I'm saving some of that detailing until the when I'll add it to a layer.

fCbbhqn.jpg
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Tonight's progress

fSMLR3G.jpg
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    @praetus: wow, that turning out great. I do have a concern for your entry though. dont you think it will need a character or something to give it some sort of personality, so its not just a vehicle? its a hero challenge after all.

So this is what ive been noodeling on, its a Orc grunt basemesh.
    WIP_04.png

And my thread:
    http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/threads/63391-Blizzardfest-2014-3D-Lotet-Orc-Grunt?p=575496#post575496
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    lotet wrote: »
    @praetus: wow, that turning out great. I do have a concern for your entry though. dont you think it will need a character or something to give it some sort of personality, so its not just a vehicle? its a hero challenge after all.

Nope, vehicles are ok too as long as you herofy them. Including character is optional.
    .Catapult unit from Warcraft: If you are up for an adventure, Yes, even a vehicle unit can be selected for this challenge. How to make it into a Stoyline Hero? Make it bigger and stronger looking. Perhaps its bolts are on continual fire. Perhaps a gnome has been permanently cursed into the catapult itself, so his upper body shows somewhere on the unit. Anything!
    Also your Orc looks great. My only concern is I think he may have skipped leg day. Even so, I love it. Keep it up!

Edit - lotet your image is broken here. I was able to see it by going through your link and seeing a paintover someone made. You may want to check your hosting or something because it is not showing in this thread.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Tonights progress. Redefined the wood a little bit on the center bit and started the arm siding.

yWKBjgh.jpg
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    praetus wrote: »
    Nope, vehicles are ok too as long as you herofy them. Including character is optional.

Also your Orc looks great. My only concern is I think he may have skipped leg day. Even so, I love it. Keep it up!

Edit - lotet your image is broken here. I was able to see it by going through your link and seeing a paintover someone made. You may want to check your hosting or something because it is not showing in this thread.

huh, thank you, il check out the link, wierd.

and if doing just a vehicle is fine I say awesome! and good luck and keep going :)

EDIT: Changed the link, hope its working now. and yes, he skipped leg day, or rather, I skipped leg day =P Ive only really worked on the upper body, legs are the next update.
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    @ preatus:
    awesome start.

I will join in as soon as I have permission to post in GA and have setup my thread and entry. Strangely I'm waiting to be authorized since monday. :( Is there any schedule they are following to authorize people overthere?
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    lotet, that image is still not working. Have you tried to host it through something else? Maybe imgur? heh, regarding the legs, that is why wip stuff can be frustrating. Never quite sure what has been worked out or not.

Slave_zero - I don't know how long it takes to be authorized unfortunately. In the mean time if you have work to show off, feel free to show it here. You may want to send Fred or one of the other mods at GA a message though to see what the hold up is.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Well since I had so many probles with my link so far Il just repost it through imgur. I hope this works...
    eZfhDtB.png
  • DVL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DVL polycounter lvl 9
    Really like where your Glaive launcher is going. are you building it piece by piece progressively or do you have a rough shape already laid out that you didn't post?

For my part, you pointed out an interesting point about the number of toes/fingers, which I've fixed in this latest update ;)

Base shape is Done, time to gear up!

04_Progress.jpg
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    DVL - I've got a proxy of primitives laid out from max that I'm using for basic proportions. All the sculpts have been made from dynamesh cubes, spheres, and cylinders. Managed to get some more work done tonight. I'm stopping a bit early though so I can play some Heroes of the Storm.

M0dGllK.jpg
  • DVL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DVL polycounter lvl 9
    yup, totally liking what I'm seeing from you so far! :)

Slight update before goin to bed:
    04_ProgressB.jpg
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still in the blockout/concept part trying to make him stand out compared to the ordinary widow mine, want him to be kind of a protector of the widow mines until they reach their spot of deployment.

As for adding character I want to give him something more face like and I also made him a lot bigger then the ordinary widow mine, as well as I made the legs bigger compared to the body. I can still change anything though.

24f9vyu.jpg

xf9oib.jpg

Anyone know how to get to the place where you change your submission image?
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    your picture wasn't loading for me but I managed to find the proper url. Looks pretty neat so far. Kepp going! :thumbup:

Edit: aaaaaannnd now it loaded... so i removed my link to it.

Looks good.

DVL - That is a huge improvement. I really like the chunky feel it has as well as the wraps you've made so far.
  • 87roach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    87roach polycounter lvl 5
    Great work so far guys!
  • DVL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DVL polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks praetus! :)

Update of the day:
    05_Wristguards.jpg
  • Azaraen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow DVL! That is looking really amazing!!! I love your brush stroke. :'O

I am still working on the concept for my 3D entry. XD But I feel that once I get all the design questions out of the way, and I can just blast thru modeling and get to whats important to me for this particular project. The texture painting.

y9xVWVZ.jpg
  • DVL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DVL polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks Evolvyn, looking forward to see your Druid as well, your idea looks very interesting :)

For my part, I've begun gearing up the lower body a little. I'm thinking it would be best to have minimalistic gear to keep the spirit of the character (which is basically just a skeleton with magic...). I'll be going for some sort of metal chunks kitbashed here and there. As you may have noticed, I've also decided to make his hands and forearms as if they were made of frost as well. I think it'll give good material contrasts in the end

In the coming week, once I finish applying all the equipment, I'm going to focus on how the frost is spread on the entire body (Mostly upper body and shoulders).06_LowerBody.jpg
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    DVL, that is an insane sculpt so far
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey people, joining the blizzard fun train.
    Great work what you are putting out here! I'll have to get a move on! Everyone is doing a great job!

For my entry I have picked the Diablo3 Beast Unit

beast_ref.png

My idea is to transform the beast into a moving trader / inn - "The Beastly Inn" - that can follow the player heroes where ever their fight against the legions of hell lead them.

Up to now I only have some rough sketches and silhouettes. I hope I can start modelling tomorrow. For now I need to clean up my sketch for the Beast. I'll start with the monster and continue with the House-parts later.

blizzard_contest_beast_concept1.jpg
    blizzard_contest_beast_concept2.jpg

@ Jonas:

Great work so far. I was thinking what about to have the heroic widow deploy the regular widow mines? Just random thought. :)
  • Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth polycounter lvl 8
    @DVL I think it looked much better when the finger-bones were just slightly overgrown with the ice. Having a bit of bone shine through between it looks better than just pure ice (in my opinion).

Quite some great things going on in here!
  • Azaraen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Xaragoth! :D
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Yeeesssssssss. So happy to see more people joining and posting their work. Here's my progress on the glaive launcher.

qmaqzFW.jpg

clrxjbn.jpg

Keep up the good work guys!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    lotet wrote: »
    Well since I had so many probles with my link so far Il just repost it through imgur. I hope this works...
    http://i.imgur.com/eZfhDtB.png
    Looking really nice so far. I think he needs to be a little more stocky if you want him to to be really consistent with Blizzard's style though.
  • independ-hans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    independ-hans polycounter lvl 13
    I really slowly getting progress an idea corrupted rogue that become a skeleton-immortal hero could look like based on diablo 2 corrupt rogue "Vile Hunter".

Is it something you would be interested to see it flesh out. Or would you start over with something differents like a shaman orc.
    tumblr_n9zsvdqqxO1surhcmo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_n9zsvdqqxO1surhcmo2_1280.jpg

I am not sure if original idea to do a 2 magic-class spell ice and poison would be good. because it would become fast to colorfull. imaging on sword would a poison magic and the other would be and frost magic on it, like these MK designs.
    3daS0Mr.jpg
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've cleaned up my concept. Now for some shading and blocking in colors.
    blizzard_contest_beast_concept_cleaned_s.jpg
  • 87roach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    87roach polycounter lvl 5
    DVL wrote: »
    In the coming week, once I finish applying all the equipment, I'm going to focus on how the frost is spread on the entire body (Mostly upper body and shoulders).06_LowerBody.jpg

This is coming along really well man.

I would like to comment on the metal thickness. Blizzard loves to push chunky shapes and I think you should try doing a bit more of that in the metal(even the ice could use a bit too. The chain get's lost when you zoom out a bit and it's barely legible in the silhouette. The other metals(legs, arm, hip) I find myself really looking and then being ohh ok I see it now. Push those shapes man! (leather straps/cloth included)

Also placing a bit of ice up the shoulders and back possibly in addition to the hands could really help, what's in his chest? glow? ice heart? empty? just ideas, as I know you want it simple.
  • ThunderClouds
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThunderClouds polycounter lvl 9
    Hello everyone ! :)
    Am in for the Blizzard Fest as well , 3D categorize , here my draft concept so far . any C&C are welcome ! :D
    The unit is Starcraft 2 - Reaperia
    reaperia_1stDraftConcept.jpg

Got some back story for her as well, sorry for my English :) !
    des.jpg
  • independ-hans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ThunderClouds I like your light-armored reaper, really got some classic shape of shape like in the the golden axe.

What do you think on my thing, I think I did not capture some blizzard felling.
  • Overmind5000
  • independ-hans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    independ-hans-25463-fest-challenges-main-image-1407612787.jpg

I go with a Terrain Unit from the the Ghost from Barracks or I do the Banshee from Starport.
    It is time 2701, Federation is Controlling 23% of the Alliances Plantes.

A small rebellion family Headhunter Business.

Member of the Crew are
    WellBell CC4003 - Wraith-Banshee, modified firmware 4003.20092 AI CC
    Sam - Dad the Pilot & SCV
    Lucy - Mom Medic-Reaper, Working on Stalker Technology Blink
    Suzi - Daughter the Ghost & workin on a new Hacker device
    Robin - Son the Co Pilot and Marine, do negotiate with federation secure the ship.
    A2K - Automaton 2000, robot, critter, Spion

They have a modified Wraith-Banshee so they can travel with up to 2 Pilots plus 6 People,
    with Cloth Ability and modified with Protoss engines, Immortal shields and warp technologies.
    Sam is working on an old artefakt that hopefully get the ship time-travel, but now it is very dangerous to use and may produce black holes.
  • DVL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DVL polycounter lvl 9
    87roach wrote: »
    This is coming along really well man.

I would like to comment on the metal thickness. Blizzard loves to push chunky shapes and I think you should try doing a bit more of that in the metal(even the ice could use a bit too. The chain get's lost when you zoom out a bit and it's barely legible in the silhouette. The other metals(legs, arm, hip) I find myself really looking and then being ohh ok I see it now. Push those shapes man! (leather straps/cloth included)

Also placing a bit of ice up the shoulders and back possibly in addition to the hands could really help, what's in his chest? glow? ice heart? empty? just ideas, as I know you want it simple.

Thanks a lot for the feedback, I believe you're right about the overall thickness of things. I'll look back into it a little more this week. And yea, for the chest cavity everything's possible still! ^_^
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    aw man so much awesome stuff from all the polycounters here :)

praetus: Keep rocking it!

Slave_zero: Awesome Idea!

ThunderClouds: That is honestly one of the best designs ive seen so far, great idea!

DVL: as a big fan of skeleton dudes I love what you are doing, but I think you need to do an anatomy check on that guy, the head looks a bit wierd, and some of the bones look very think and fragile.

Here is a small Update on my Orc warlord.
    IgSh0vI.png
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great to see so many are joining in,

lotet: really liking the clean sculpt.

have a question, how do you change your submissions thumbnail picture? it says it's possible just can't find it.

and here is an update, still blocking out.

2qs3o1w.jpg
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work everyone! keep it up.
    @thunderclouds:
    great concept and sweet line work.

@ lotet: Cool sculpt. Do have ideas for the amror. Might be a good idea to block them out before adding too much detail on the orc.

Update: Shaded concept. I hope to finish the coloring this night and start the mdoel tomorrow.

blizzard_contest_beast_concept_shaded_s.jpg
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    have a question, how do you change your submissions thumbnail picture? it says it's possible just can't find it.

Apparently you are supposed to edit a square shaped image in your first post in your thread and it will automatically change it to your thumbnail, at least thats what they say.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet: Thanks, but where does it say that? also other people that seem to be updating their thumbs don't have that in their first post. Would be really happy if someones knows :)
  • independ-hans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think where is difference between the 4-6 images that you use for presenting your final project and just uploaded thumbnail, that show your last progress a new image what is totally possible just go again to 3dtotal -> 3D or 2d or Animation , and in your profile entry you can change all including the image that does show up.