Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character improvement thread

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
Morning Polycount!

So, I took about a month off working on my portfolio stuff (i.e. got lazy) and it gave me some time to step back and realize where I needed to improve with my work. So I figured I'd start up a new thread, purely aimed at improving my character work in general.

I'm going to try and cover a lot of stuff I've not had to deal with, whether that be super accurate anatomy or tools like Marvelous designer, I'm gonna try and cover it all. And to start things off, a head wip I'm working on, still gathering ref for what I'm gonna do for the rest of him but will post that as it's relevant.

GmRszCB.jpg

jT5ViYC.jpg

Right now the main things I'm gonna be tackling that I've otherwise avoided until now is figuring out a nice way to do a variety of different haircuts. I foresee a lot of planar modelling and UVing in my immediate future...

Any feedback is welcome, cheers!

Replies

• Suba
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    Never give up, that's the spirit ! Good luck for this big project then.
    I don't really have crits on that face, it looks really nice imo. But I'm really looking forward to see how you gonna evolve !
  • tierzilla
    Offline / Send Message
    tierzilla polycounter lvl 9
    yuuuuuss want to see more!! :D
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Nice start. The eyes and cheekbones are really bothering me though. The eyes look really far apart and a bit small. The cheek bones look like they aren't even there. Also the forehead looks a bit big. Here is a paintover to help out:

iLFRMXd.jpg?1
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba, tierzilla Cheers guys!

stevston89 Thanks for the paint over, totally see what you're talking about. Will get on making adjustments this evening, thanks!
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    So I was away for a week, but now I'm able to get back to this. Started off by adjusting the cheekbones, don't really want to go much further with them than I had, don't really want him to look too block headed.

Also started testing out some hairstyles, need to do a fibers pass to sort out the shorter hairs for this one, won't know if it totally works until that's done really.

evVR2Yu.jpg

Feedback more than welcome, cheers!
  • Sre
    subscribed to this thread because i need updates on this gorgeous man
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    Sre Thanks haha

Bit of an update, started doing some polypaint stuff, his get up's not ready to show yet but it will be (hopefully) very soon.

6ZsljZO.jpg
  • garriola83
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Right now the material for the eyes are too bright. I squint my eyes and theyre way brighter than the surrounding area. It should be the same value or darker because that area recedes into the skull and should receive less light in the orbit. He's also lacking in the zygomatic area a bit. Keep going tho.
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 Thanks for the advice, made a few adjustments based of it. Really helped!

Quick update

Sul9vnN.jpg
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    The wrinkles feel weird. Too large scale (too 'thick') yet not enough depth or sharpness. This makes it feel like a rock sculpt that the artist didn't put enough labour in to get proper depth. The eyes have a much better, fleshier feeling.

tumblr_m6bmamArP31qfnq1do2_1280.jpg

Notice how theres a lot more variety in the sharpness/depth/size of the wrinkles? Those on the forehead are almost invisible consisting of only a sharp crease. The frown line has a sharp crevice and a firm but slight bulge. The nasolabial folds are mostly round, with only a small accentuating line.

Now, I'm not saying you should follow this template. But you should try to understand why they differ. Generally, hairlines are sharp and flat, while large wrinkles are sharp on the inside, soft on the outside.
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader Thanks for the feedback, you make a really good point about the wrinkles that I hadn't noticed before. definitely going to sort that out before I press ahead any further. Thanks again, really appreciate it!
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    Been quite a while since I updated this, oops :P

Still working away on that character, as of yet though nothing I really want to show off, still need to fix a lot and figure out what he's going to become really. However in the mean time I picked up Raf Grassetti's excellent gumroad tutorials, and have been working my way through them for the past week or so.

There's still some stuff to sort out with the torso and hands, nothing yet done to the legs (hence the crop). It's been a lot of fun though just getting back into sculpting something, not gotten to do too much of that this past month.

EE418kg.jpg
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a fair bit of work to the anatomy study, finished it off more or less so I decided to start on this over the weekend.

VdNunS9.jpg

Post apocalyptic barbarian I think. (He will have a face...)
  • BagelHero
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    I kinda like him without the face... :D
    Keep it up, though! Looking great so far.