Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

living room

This is a little marmoset 2 scene I've been working on. Its inspired by this wonderful Min Yum painting. I still have a few things left to do on it like adding contact shadows behind the frames, titles for the books and some kind of pattern to the blanket. I'm not 100% about the amount of color and saturation in the final scene, maybe its a bit too much?. Any crits would be appreciated.
screenshot036.jpg

and the reference.
min%20yum%20.jpg

Replies

• Bigglesworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigglesworth greentooth
    Looks cool!
    I notice only one thing: weird DOF. Maybe you should blur only staircase? Not walls?
    And yes, desaturate picture little bit. It's tooooo colorful compared to concept.
  • BenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I miss one thing. Your scene looks very clean compared to your reference. I think some dirt/wearing would work fine to get closer to the reference.

But it's still awesome! Looking forward to see the final result
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    This lighting is great for inside Marmoset. Care to show your light set up?

As far as crits the wallpaper in the far hallway looks like a light is too close to it giving it a not-wallpaper-feel.

Maybe something brighter value in the fire place as well? In the concept there's logs or something and it pops out a bit more.

Table in the foreground is a nice scale and measurement prop to the viewer as well. Be cool to see that corner.

All in all though? This is great. Nice job.
  • PorkSteak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow sorry for the late reply, lots of OT at work :/
    thanks for the crits guys I agree with all of those suggestions and I'm working on getting those in the scene.
    @jeff parrot here is my light set up hopefully you can see whats going on in there. Its pretty basic just some point lights with alpha cards in front of them to give them a little glow. the table lamp is made from two spot lights one facing up and one down in order to get some highlights above and below the lampshade. lightingsetup.jpg
    errr ignore all that dirt on the carpet I started to bump it up but got a little carried away.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    This is really nice. I haven't seen too many scenes like this in marmoset