Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Somewhere : a first person exploration and sthealth game

MainMenu4.jpg

Hello. I am working on a small exploration and stealth game called Somewhere. I am collaborating on the project with a programmer and we have been working on the game for about a year. The following thread is both an introductory post to the game, and a small art dump from what we have build so far.

1.jpg

2.jpg

9.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

* the game is in pre alpha so the images you see above are very much a work in progress !

We are crafting the environments in Sketchup. And the game is bullit in Unity (indie). The images above are screenshots from our recent builds or experiments. All the environments use painted textures and a simple diffuse shader. I will discuss the crafting process in detail over subsequent posts.
Somewhere is an experimental exploration and stealth game, that is played in the first person mode. The game is set in the the late colonial period and narrates incidents surrounding the search for a mythical town called Kayamgdah.

The game is also an exploration of how stories distort under the scrutiny of interaction, and how the act of play might allow for a drastic shift in the our understanding of what manner of stories might be told through interactive mediums.

Central to game play in Somewhere is the ability to turn into every character within the story being narrated. A player travels through the game world by becoming other people, and as you navigate identities, you realise that each person you become is a figment of another character's imagination and a part of yet another story. Somewhere is therefore, most of all, a collection of stories. a collection that spawns characters through which a player might comprehend this Gameworld.

Mirroring a player's insidious intrusion, Somewhere is played as a stealth game. Sneak up on people, possess them and navigate the Gameworld as different characters. The narrative distortion that accompanies a shift in character, is further exacerbated by the convoluted construction of it's surreal spaces. The player will often walk into photographs, move through disconnected spaces, insidiously listen to other conversations and form an understanding of the world that no character within the story can individually posses.
* a portion of Somewhere was developed at Of Games : Theater in code. An art residency program at Khoj.

Replies

• shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    I smell a Belias
  • oleomingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun wrote: »
    I smell a Belias
    Not quiet sure what you mean ?
  • oleomingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A quick game play video. It demonstrates the first draft of a movement mechanic we have been working on, that lets the player walk into images in the inventory.

Vimeo
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Don't mind shotgun, the game is coming along great. I saw the trailer on TIGsource back in January, I like the surreal setting.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    The art style is giving me a vibe somewhere between Maurice Sendack, and Salvador Dali. I think the clocks are what's giving the Dali feeling.

I love it.
  • oleomingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Justin Meisse Thank you ! Yes we released a small pre alpha build in January, a trailer to which you saw on TIG. Since then we have been reworking the stealth mechanic and the environments, and are now beginning to rework our characters as well.

Here are some process screenshots, from Sketchup and their in game counterparts.

ToothbrushTreeSkup02%20(1).jpg

ToothbrushTrees19%20(1).jpg

Skup07.jpg

Skup03.jpg

dialogue01.jpg

Skup00.jpg

LoopGubble17.jpg

Gubbleeshwr08.jpg

GubbleSpace14.jpg

Gubbleeshwr01%20(1).jpg

GubblePur19.jpg

GubblePur47.jpg

GubbleColors04.jpg

SkupGloop06.jpg

telegalloop3.jpg
  • oleomingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 wrote: »
    The art style is giving me a vibe somewhere between Maurice Sendack, and Salvador Dali. I think the clocks are what's giving the Dali feeling.

I love it.

Thank you ! Really glad you like the art.

The surrealism influence is deliberate ( with the clocks as you point out and with size distortion or repetitious use of objects ) especially given the strong dadaist influences on the storytelling.

Also, Thank you so much for introducing me to the wonderful work of Maurice Sendack. Such incredible illustrations !
  • Joltya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joltya polycounter lvl 10
    Whoooooaaaaaa.... This is looking amazing! Keep it up; can't wait to see the end result! :D
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I like the direction this is going in, definitely a really unique idea!
  • oleomingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @NegevPro and @JoltZero

Thank you ! Really glad you like the game and it's premise so far, and I appreciate your kind words regarding the same.

I have just begun crafting anew environment ( a last minute addition to our IndieCade build ) so will document the process in subsequent posts.
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6
    I feel the shadows needs to be darker and the lighting needs a bit more contrast. Otherwise I enjoy the alternative and surreal artstyle.
  • oleomingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel the shadows needs to be darker and the lighting needs a bit more contrast. Otherwise I enjoy the alternative and surreal artstyle.

Thank you ! Yourname942. I do agree, though I often find it difficult to judge the proper contrast while setting up lights within Unity, especially if I am trying to work with desaturated textures and softer hues like those on the wall.

Since we are posting again after a bit of hiatus - there were some environments that we were experimenting with in the interlude that I am going to skip. Might post some images from them later.

With this specific room we are working within smaller environmental confines.
    The idea to to concentrate of non architectural and context specific details. Objects that build narratives within the game world. In tandem with a basic shift in scale I am also using this room to explore the a more saturated pallet of hues, and sharper contrast with fewer lights.

The meshes and textures for the objects are a work in progress. I would really appreciate any criticisms and suggestions you might have !

Also does anybody know where on might find reference images from colonial houses ? Especially architecture that blends vernacular construction with colonial styles ?

Ritual19a.jpg

Ritual09.jpg

Ritual15.jpg

Ritual14.jpg

Ritual13.jpg

Ritual16.jpg
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking really neat.

If I go to Google Images and type Colonial Interior, I see lots of options. I'd search for variations on that. They also have sub-genres at the top of the results... Early, Revival, Modern, etc.
  • oleomingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Eric Chadwick Thank you ! I am specifically looking for something along the lines of revivalist architecture especially in the Indian context. The problem with images from a Google search is that they often provide disconnected images of interior and exterior environments with little or no correlation between them.

Nonetheless I think I have a few images I can use at the moment.

Here are some more screens from the same environment. wip of course. I am trying to build odd volumetric paintings by placing three dimensional meshes and layered textures within window like painting frames. The portraits that are crafted like this look rather strange ! Still need to make the frame less window like.

Ritual29c.jpg

Ritual33.jpg

Ritual32.jpg
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Cool stuff, love the style! Im actually working on something similar :)
  • Temporal Drift
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Temporal Drift polycounter lvl 9
    I really like the art style and color pallette...
  • oleomingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Inotet Thanks ! Would certainly love to see your project especially if you are working on something similar.

@Temporal Drift. Thank you ! We are still working on the colors and the textures. Placing, aligning and accurately applying textures in Sketchup is a rather tedious process, and the spaces ought to look better once we are closer to the final builds with their proper lightmaps.
  • oleomingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The four rooms from the first environment of our alpha build are almost complete ! The textures and the lights need a bit of work, and the lightmap could be better but quiet happy with the somewhat intricate result !

Enactment14.jpg

Enactment01.jpg

Enactment09.jpg

Enactment04.jpg

Enactment12.jpg

Enactment19.jpg

Enactment11.jpg

Enactment17.jpg
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Really interesting style, I like what you guys have going on so far. I love the muted colors on the buildings with the arches too. Are there any particular sources of inspiration you guys are pulling from? I can see some surrealist ideas going on, like GarageBay said.
  • oleomingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you @leuxart !
    Our sources of inspiration are rather eclectic. As you noticed there are several elements taken directly from surrealist paintings. The architecture itself is a simplified combination of revivalist colonial building, ( modified by the limitation of working with low poly art in Sketchup ). But a bulk of our visuals actually translate from the literary reference we use, Italo Calvino's wonderful cities, or Luis Borges strange worlds or even the absurd rhymes of Sukumar Ray.

http://www.videogametourism.at/node/1828
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    Whoa, impressive. This is gonna be a classic. I hope.
  • oleomingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Thank you ! I really appreciate your kind words.

We are very close to completing an early alpha build, and will start posting some videos soon. Will probably upload the playable build sometime next week.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    latest images are looking great!

I would just be careful with the smoothing groups. I realize that its part of the style and its intentional, but you are walking a sorta fine line between stylized (and no offense) a sorta broken cg look. I think if and when you pull this off it will look great all around, just keep a fresh eye on it.
  • oleomingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BradMyers82 Thank you. You are quiet right we are treading a fine line between low poly art and textured, realistically lit game art - and where we might retain the 'broken' polygonal forms and where we ought to capitulate to refinement is something I constantly struggle with. Working with Sketchup and Unity helps, since both are well suited to a quick and iterative form of construction.

Enactment23.jpg

Enactment25.jpg

Enactment26.jpg

Enactment21.jpg

* Added some details to the rooms and finished the courtyard.