Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

MK 14 Enhanced Battle Rifle

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
Started working on an EBR.
Got most of the HP covered, though I am leaving some of the small detail to an NDO pass.
ibjs2LSRgacT03.png
ibyzdasDK3ImhQ.png
i66FwmZsL1dsU.png

On to the Tripod and scope!

Replies

• Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    The handle is incredibly blocky — you might want to check your references. Also the adjustable cheek pad looks like it's being held up by a solid block, it appears to be a thin piece of metal in reference pictures.
  • Damian Nachman
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek wrote: »
    The handle is incredibly blocky — you might want to check your references. Also the adjustable cheek pad looks like it's being held up by a solid block, it appears to be a thin piece of metal in reference pictures.

Thanks for the tips!
    Made the handle abit rounder, and the cheeck-pad's support beam abit thinner.
    Also, Bipod and Scope!
    ibxAbPtlwoByNM.PNG
    i5ONbRkjvbnTo.PNG
  • commador
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    Round off the rear of your receiver. Its very blocky right now. :)

IMG_0002-2_zpsc26e94bd.jpg
  • Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Hey, the modelling is looking very good!

My main critique is with how you are presenting your high poly. When you render the high poly, using only GI renders can mask the errors that come from high poly modelling. I highly recommend displaying models for critique with a high enough specular amount that the surfaces can be scrutinized.

Keep up the good work!
  • Damian Nachman
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished most the low poly and bakes!
    Only thing that's left for baking is the bipod mount.
    Low poly is around 40k tris together with the mount.
    itCeBfu1e31MC.png

Wires:
    ibe8I3lBN346dd.png

On to texturing!

Commador:
    Rounded it off before baking! Thanks for the tip.

Quack:
    Good point.
    Is the material I used for the low poly render specular enough?
  • woot
    Offline / Send Message
    woot polycounter lvl 5
    40k seems to be a massive tris count for low poly. remove some of the edge loops in places where they seem unnecessary, like on the magpul and the pistol grip. other than that, seems like a good bake :)
  • Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea Mesh the low poly spec is better, its easier to read the forms.

I don't mind the 40k tri limit as long as the tris are used wisely. However, this doesn't seem like 40k, are there some things we aren't seeing? The triangle density of the small indent on the grip for example seems extreme, for what is necessary.

Bake came out very good, at 40k I would guess this is for a FPS, so I would personally take some shots of the 'scope in action' when it gets placed really close to the screen to make sure the density there is great enough.
  • donofdon
    Offline / Send Message
    donofdon polycounter lvl 2
    You have a really nice high poly and i'm like the lighting, great bake, but I agree with the above. you could get away with a lot less polys on your Low. Look at that trigger!
  • DWalker
    The scope lenses are generally set farther back, especially at the objective end.
    5-25x56-PM-II-CM-CW-2.jpg
    Your lens covers are much too thick.
  • Damian Nachman
    Offline / Send Message
    A'ight!
    I'll go back to the model and remove some geo from hidden and small parts. Will try to get the rifle+mount down to 25k.
    Did most of the textures in SD, so as long as I don't change the model too much, The textures will still apply.
    iO4UR3OIkscN8.png
    ibiSWwYLfYCwxb.png
    ibg8GuqG5i4LtA.png
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    I like the overall color feel and palette
  • Damian Nachman
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the overall color feel and palette

Thanks dude!
    Still has alot of tweaking and detailing to do, But I guess I should go back and optimize the model a little bit first.
  • Damian Nachman
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the Bipod mount:
    i2lTqXhsEI0af.png
    ioZCq9ZwWc00Y.png
  • Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel that you have the albedo of your metals far to bright. Just looking at quick references of this weapon and I see that it most is the typical dark gun metal, which have near black albedo values.
  • Damian Nachman
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! wrote: »
    I feel that you have the albedo of your metals far to bright. Just looking at quick references of this weapon and I see that it most is the typical dark gun metal, which have near black albedo values.

Thank you so much for the continuous feedback bro!
    I'm going with the Spec workflow, so I lowered the specularity for the metal.
    iCQGUUO8kcHBv.png
  • commador
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    Looking good. I think some of the materials could be better differentiated. For example, the Sage chassis is anodized aluminum, but it looks very similar to the magazine which is coated steel. And then the plastic and rubber bits are all quite distinguished too like the forearm cover which is made of Kydex.

Some of the wear and scratches seem a bit out of place. On the last image on the stock, there are scratches underneath other parts where scratches would be really difficult to be made.
  • NorbertR
    Textures are the biggest weakness, I would suggest you at least change the main material up. If you don't already use it I would recommend you use dDo Legacy to do the texturing and to add some wear and tear.