Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Shift Happens - Art Dump

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
essimoon polycounter lvl 8
Hi there fellow polycounters,

we're Klonk, a small German indie game dev team currently working on a two player co-op platformer called Mercury Shift 3D (working title). It's a more advanced implementation of our initial flash game "Mercury Shift" release in 2012.

bismoplom_hellopng

In Mercury Shift 3D grab a friend (or play solo) and accompany our two blobby characters Bismo and Plom on their journey through an imaginary polygonal environment coming directly out of their minds.

Here's some current in-game environmental art:

Forest Stage

The first stage where our two heroes are confronted with real challenges.

forest3png

Canyon Stage

In the second stage after the forest Bismo and Plom need both dexterity and puzzle skills to conquer the canyon.

canyonpng

Tutorial (2 Player)

Mercury Shift 3D contains quite some complex gameplay mechanics that our game designers developed and are properly taught in the small chamber called the tutorial levels.

labpng

Training Stage

No-one is born a master. And that's what the training levels are here for

trainpng

Mercury Shift Low-Poly Shading

For Mercury Shift 3D we've been developing our own custom low-poly shading to create a very unique environmental look that differs from other games and gives us the ability to control the look of all our assets as best as possible.
We're using the Unity Game Engine.

mercuryshadingpng

For all those interested in motion pictures here's our most recent Gameplay Teaser.

We'd love to have some feedback and opinions of what you think about Mercury Shift. Feel free to tell us anything you think about it.

Updates and News on the following platforms:

Twitter: @klonkgames
Artists: @koffeinvampir, @mindlessblahs, @minnalya, @NikoGoetz, @Klonkimon
Gamedesigners: @klonkoli, @MattNeuk, @Klonkbeff
Programmers: @codermic, @Klonkrika

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC04btb2j3dmvtBHXSUxw1lw

Replies

• NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    This is some beautiful work. I love the art style and the gameplay looks unique too! I'll definitely buy a copy when it comes out.
  • killazzz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The art style is fantastic! Strikes me as a Little Big Planet spin-off, puzzles and team work mechanics, I look forward to some more images! Nice work!
  • riowahab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    riowahab polycounter lvl 11
    Beautiful, loves the color palette :D
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    hey i saw the gameplay teaser earlier, really big fan of the art style!

can you go into more detail as to how youre going about developing your shaders to help define the environment artstyle? could litspheres be involved?
  • JamieRIOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRIOT polycounter lvl 6
    Really nice art style! Not heard of the game before, but will definitely be keeping an eye on it from now :)
  • dblackwell_22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really love the art style, cant wait to see more!
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    Oh cool, really love the style and mood :D
  • SaboR1996
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    I want to know how the multiplayer works.
  • Pyr0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EDIT: double post.
  • Pyr0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 wrote: »
    I want to know how the multiplayer works.

Hey

I'm Matt, one of the Game/Level Designers of Mercury Shift 3D.
    In general, one of the main goals of the game concept has always been that it should be a fun multiplayer experience.

That's how we came up with our main mechanic, the shift. What it basically does is, by hitting a button (both players can do it) our two main characters change their mass and therefore their size as you can see in the .gif below:

chars_shift.gif

There can never be the same two sizes at a time which essentially means you have to cooperate and communicate which player does the shifting.

Don't want to get too much into detail here, but we also had a flash version of the game which u can play on kongregate. Since then, a lot has changed but the main concept is still the same.

Link for trailer of flash version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkeEBiSZNxU
  • essimoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey i saw the gameplay teaser earlier, really big fan of the art style!

can you go into more detail as to how youre going about developing your shaders to help define the environment artstyle? could litspheres be involved?

Hey Funky Bunnies,
    glad you like our art style. Hope I can answer your question as best as possible :)
    During the conceptual design stage of Mercury Shift 3D we decided to completely go without using any sort of texture. The reasons for this were practical: That way we can go for a rather unique and unmistakable look while also saving a lot of time we would normally spend on unwrapping/texturing/normal mapping.
    So instead we wanted to get a more illustrative look and feel of the environment by focusing on distinctive design vocabulary of the 3d meshes itself combined with rather flat shaded surface colors.
    So much for theory.

The practical part on the other hand was a bit more of a challenge. To get our final look (and have it at the same time be as unique as possible) we had to manipulate the way assets in Unity look at a large scale. We tried a combination of subtle visual effects like fresnel, gradient overlays, vertex colors, Unitys Image Effects (as well as our own) and some of the stuff our fellows at Little Chicken Game Company describe over here.
    We ended up even interpreting the lightmaps Unity generates in a more customized way :D

presskitheader.jpg

I'm gonna keep track of this topic and gonna release some more theoretical and practical stuff about how we created our game art from time to time.

I hope you understand that I can't really release stuff like our shader code or a description of how exactly our game shading works since we'd like to keep our look as independant and uncopyable as possible. But if you have any more questions on some of the stuff I described here feel free to ask. I'll definitely answer as best as I can.
  • essimoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little update on Mercury Shift's right here! :)

Our lead programmer @codermic and I (@Klonkimon) put all our brain cells together to create dynamic water system for Mercury Shift. We call it dynamic because it simulates any kind of flow based on an input height map with correctly updated normals in realtime. But see for yourselves:

HQ Still:
    For reference, cause gifs are shitty quality.

water_still.png

Features:
    Color Control:
    Simulate low poly fluids water, swamp, lava, tar and anything you can imagine
    color-control.gif

Depth:
    Controls the depth transparency of the fluid

depth.gif

Flow Speed, Rotate, Scale: Moves the height map in any direction, flow can be rotated and scaled. Normals are updated correctly.
    flow-scale-rotate.gif

Height: How high are the waves?
    height.gif

Realtime Light: You want realtime light? Yes? No?
    rtlight.gif

Shading Intensity: Shading is decoupled from wave height and can be adjusted for soft or hard angles.
    shading-strength.gif

Heightmap Input: Generates accurately shaded normals based on an heightmap input. Here you can see me imput random textures from our project:
    heightmap.gif

Wow, long post and maybe a bit techy, but please tell us what you think. It also works with any kind of mesh topology as long as the unwrap is correct but I didn't have a gif for that.
  • SaboR1996
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    May I ask how you are going to make controls more compatible for single player? because on the kongregate version trying to play as single player is a bit uncomfortable as all the controls are not really set for it?
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    hey awesome, thanks for all the additional info! (and for last time too)

this kinda stuff is always a treat :)
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    Gameplay looks really interresting. Art is pretty cool too. Great job.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome stuff!
  • koffeinvampir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 wrote: »
    May I ask how you are going to make controls more compatible for single player? because on the kongregate version trying to play as single player is a bit uncomfortable as all the controls are not really set for it?

Good point. In the first version we made the mistake to make it two player only. As you have experienced, there is no "real" singleplayer option. you can just try to split your brain in half and play the game.

We saw this happening quite a lot and such we now have a dedicated singleplayer. You swap between the characters and have control over both. Downside: We had to produce extra levels just for singleplayer. This mode feels a bit slower and is more focused on puzzles, but it is actually fun :)

Hit me up if you're interested in playtesting it :)
  • Minnalya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello polycouters :)

I'm in charge of the Character Art and Animations for Mercury Shift 3D, I'd like to show you some of the progress we made on our characters.

Our protagonists Bismo (red) and Plom (blue) were created during an accident in an laboratory involving mercury and orange juice. They can use their mercury substance to shift their masses and happen to turn back into a small mercury puddles if they get in touch with something dangerous. So far the story.

You can check out more of the Character Design on this blogpost if you like.

Here's how the design for the two currently looks like:

onlynew.png

In order to enhance the mercury-blobness we gave them a rim light, more glossiness and reflectivity.
    Our plans are to vary the reflection maps depending on the stages to convey the impression that the stages’ outlines are truly reflecting on Bismo’s and Plom’s skin.

And that's how they look like in motion:

winken.gif

You can check out this video for a Documentation of most of the Gameplay Animations done so far.

If you look closely you might notice how I tried to express the different personalities in their movement. This is especially important because in the past it occured that most players defined our characters by their sizes. I want them to be understood as two different indviduals in spite of the strong characteristics of the big and small shape they can take.
    Here's an example how I tried to do it (run animation):

runbismo2.gifrunbismosmall2.gif
    runplom2.gifrunplomsmall2.gif

While working on the animations my colleagues often give me feedback about it. Because of that feedbak I often notice that it's the little additions that make the animations work in a game and support and enhance the fun while playing.
    Here's and exapmle for it: What happens if a crate is blocked and you can't push or pull them? The result:

crates.gifpull.gif

I still have more gifs ;) so here's a little sneak peek on what I'm working on with @klonkimon right now. It's the animation for fetching coins that lie around. And yes, when you're big you can suck it through your belly! xD

fetching.giffetch2.gif

I think the most interesting thing about animating for games is that you create so many little animations that add to a big picture which makes your characters grow and more loveable with ever tiny piece.
    What do you think? :)

scratch.gif
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's delicious!
  • essimoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's another recent update. We captured some in-game footage, did some compositing and created a video showing our progress on Mercury Shift:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oc5xmOAcrk

It features some excerpts from our environmental devolopment, character and object design as well as a comparison of the default unity shading with ours. And all of that in motion! OO
    Some gameplay's in it as well.

Tell us what you think.