Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Coontang

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Coontang polycounter lvl 5
Editing my old posts as they sucked and took too long to load :D I advise skipping to most recent post.

Replies

• e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice :) did you cut of the terrain using alpha test? that might give you problems in the future, maybe do geometry instead ;)

here's a set of good tutorials on making your character useable:

http://seithcg.com/wordpress/?p=1329
    http://seithcg.com/wordpress/?p=1372
  • Coontang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the links. The cliff at the moment is just done with the terrain height map, which I'm fairly sure wont work. I think I will end up making some sort of low poly cliff assets or something.
  • Kl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kl
    Love the detail you have gone too, really interested in seeing where this go's. I think you're right with the idea of creating a low poly cliff asset, that and you can always break it up with the cry engine library and other trickery.
  • Coontang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Coontang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • JamesArk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    This is so awesome. Take this as far as you can until STARZ sues you :D
  • Coontang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha thanks. I will go as far as I can with it.
  • Coontang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well my plan to keep this updated as a way to motivate myself didn't work did it :(

The Ludus has been abandoned because I just can't get the terrain right, I've tried using CryEngine terrain, terrain with geometry parts and now purely geometry and I'm still not happy with it.

ludus_10.jpg

If anyone has any suggestions on that it would be helpful.

The next bit is kind of a rant, more at myself than anything, so if you don't want to read that stop reading now :)

I've been trying to improve my anatomy lately through 2d studies in the hopes that it will improve my sculpting. Thinking about it though I really don't have a lot to show for the last few months, this needs to change if I'm going to improve. I have a few sketches, an unfinished sculpey model and an unfinished fantasy art piece. Maybe it's time to set myself a challenge, one new finished piece posted here every week, yes let's try that. See you next week...
  • Jonas_Thomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas_Thomas polycounter lvl 5
    I like the environment very much! I think it gives a lot of "depth" in the scene. It really feels like there is a whole world out there.
  • Coontang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edit: I forgot, thanks for the comment, I think the distant mountains are one of the few things I'm happy with to be honest.

mage_final_small.jpg
  • Coontang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I go past this garden on my way to work every day which has suffered during the winter storms. I thought it looked perfect as the base for a zombie apocalypse concept so that's what I spent the last 3 or 4 hours doing.

Original

original_photo.jpg

Concept

zombie_apocalypse_concept.jpg
  • Coontang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I recently designed this character to go with the flintlock I created. The style was inspired by the BBC Musketeers series.

the_black_swan_small.jpg

This is my current progress on the 3D version, any feedback is much appreciated.

characterstrip2.jpg
  • Coontang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Heya, dropped in from the WAYWO thread.
    Your design is really cool, and I'm loving your fabrics (both in the concept and in the sculpt!), but her face is lacking depth to the point of looking a little... dead. She could use a little love in that area!
    'Paintover', with a Redline explaining what i did (Hope you don't mind!):
    OxYripl8.png

Most of this is fairly self-explanatory, but I'll go into a bit more detail for the sake of breaking it down into steps you can actually tackle.

First thing I have to address here is actually a more shallow one, but something that struck me immediately; her eyebrows come down to the end of her brow. I've never really thought about this, but it looked really weird to me. Turns out, proportionally....
    12-3-09_eyebrow.jpg
    This is an ideal eyebrow, of course, but certainly they shouldn't really come down past the fold of the upper eyelid.

Secondly, the muscle/fat deposits above the upper lip protrude a little too far, too suddenly. I feel like the crease coming from the nose should perhaps be on a wider angle, rather than pointing directly at the corner of the lips. I'd also suggest studying some pictures of a woman's lips a little further; the overall shape is a little bit off (though not too much; this is more an aesthetic thing, I think).
    lips.jpg
    See how the line of upper lip sort of curls under the opening of the mouth before it ends? It's not too clear that yours do that, so it reads as if they don't and looks just a teeny bit off.

Last thing that's actually very important; her eye is much too shallow in her face, and seems to miss some landmark folds, fat deposits, etc (eg, the upper lid fold). I'm still learning here, so I can't explain it too well in words, but compare what I've sketched in with what you have and hopefully you'll be able to see it.
    The shallowness is more important, though, at the moment all of her features are concentrated very strongly in the front part of her face, which makes her look quite hard and square, as well as just slightly unnerving.

Okay, well, I'm quite long winded and now this looks like a lot. Oops.
    Overall, these are all smaller parts of the sculpt, and the only reason I'm picking out what looks like a lot is because faces are super important. If a face looks even the teeniest bit unnatural, it will let the entire model down. Which would be a shame, honestly, because the rest of your sculpt and design are lovely.

I'm looking forward to seeing this progress, keep up the good work! (And damn, I'd kill for that bolero [and the shirt, to be entirely honest]. It's gorgeous.)
  • Coontang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for the feedback, it will be really helpful so I appreciate you taking the time to go into detail. Also glad you like the cloth as I am pretty happy with it, though I've been told the pants could use some work (they didn't say why though :\ )
  • Coontang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have been trying to improve the head and I think it is getting there but I need confirmation from the good people of polycount, feedback is as always much appreciated.

head_views.jpg
  • Coontang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm quite happy with the way this project is going and I was thinking about how far I've come since my 1st character model, thought it might be funny to make a quick visual timeline. Definitely not proud of the first few on here!

timeline.jpg
  • Coontang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update as I'm a bit stuck with where to go next. I think it needs some small details, wear and tear etc. just not sure how to do it.
    characterstrip6.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Coontang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've "finished" (nothing is ever finished) the character sculpt now and have moved on to the props. I threw together a quick vray render for fun.

musketeer_vray.jpg

The 1st prop is a flintlock pistol knife, I stumbled across these when doing research for my other flintlock and thought it was a cool idea.

pistolknife_1.jpg
  • Coontang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oops, I didn't realise how long it had taken me to make the accessories! Well they're done now so I will begin the possibly long process of refining and detailing.

musketeer_with_accessories.jpg