Old (#1)
Finally wrapped up the scene, thank you all for the feedback and kind words ^^ Can't wait to start something new and use what I've learned from this.

Here's the final fly-through video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhSiMnKm7E4&hd=1

And the screenshots:

-----

Original post:

Hey guys! I thought I'll share the environment that I've been working on. It's still a work in progress, so any crits would be lovely

I'll try to keep this updated with any progress

Here's where I'm currently at:

https://vimeo.com/95455516

(removed img tags because of the limit per post)
http://i.imgur.com/VTog0Le.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Yh1dkTv.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ezKjXj3.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/PKSnAgo.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/czA5XVF.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/vRECDHy.jpg

Thanks

Last edited by ed_3D; 07-22-2014 at 05:28 PM..
Offline , line, 81 Posts, Join Date Nov 2012, Location Derby/London, UK  

Old (#2)
Breaking Bad... Duh gaem!?!?!

D:
Alex Stockwell 3D Environment and Prop Artist

www.Stockwell3D.com

Currently looking for work.
Offline , spline, 194 Posts, Join Date Aug 2012, Location San Diego  

Old (#3)
Damn man you really captured the feeling of this place, and you have a really fine attention to detail. If you wanted to make it feel even lonelier you could make the road stop at the cabin
Offline , vertex, 43 Posts, Join Date Jan 2012, Location Burlington, VT  

Old (#4)
This is really awesome! You are nailing it!
Offline , polygon, 627 Posts, Join Date Dec 2011, Location United States  

Old (#5)
Wow... those exteriors. I can't even pick out a specific reason why it's awesome... but those exteriors are just awesome!
Offline , spline, 160 Posts, Join Date Dec 2010,  

Old (#6)
wow, you NAILED that snow material and scene composure. I wasn't sure if the first outdoor pics were shots from real-life or your work at first. The interiors are great, but you can still tell they are virtual. The outdoors just Blew. My. Mind.
Paul Stratton || 3D artist.

Demons: a personal UDK project

Offline , triangle, 314 Posts, Join Date Jun 2011, Location Sydney, NSW  

Old (#7)
Looks amazing! The only thing that is slightly jarring is the disconnect between your godrays and the spotlight on the floor in the first pic. They feel a bit separated and the light a bit harsh for how dispersed the light should be with the cloudy weather outside. Otherwise, it looks incredible. Really good job!

PS: can you show how you did your godrays? I'm having difficulties myself with them.
Offline , line, 62 Posts, Join Date Apr 2012, Location Washington State, USA  

Old (#8)
Love it inside and out Adding a car would be cool and or something like a power generator. Keep it up -> following!
Offline , polygon, 663 Posts, Join Date Sep 2010, Location The Netherlands Send a message via Skype™ to Rhoutermans  

Old (#9)
I'd expect some wrinkles in the floor rug, especially where the dolly has been rolled onto the rug.

The curtains above the sink feel too insubstantial, more like plastic shower curtains than something you'd find in a kitchen.

The seams between the wall planks look rather wide; do you have a reference photo?

The cast iron items - both the stove and the pans - are much lighter than is common.
Offline , polycounter, 1,198 Posts, Join Date Feb 2013,  

Old (#10)
Wow thanks guys! I'm cooking up a quick fly through for CGStudentAwards as apparently tomorrow is the last day for entries, so I'll post it up on here as well once it's done

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armangelo View Post
PS: can you show how you did your godrays? I'm having difficulties myself with them.
I actually did it using the old UE3 technique, so it's just a cone mesh and a simple panning material that fades in and out based on your distance. I think the example projects available on the ue4 marketplace have much nicer godrays. I'm still using an older version of UE4 so I haven't tried them, but you should check them out :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWalker View Post
I'd expect some wrinkles in the floor rug, especially where the dolly has been rolled onto the rug.

The curtains above the sink feel too insubstantial, more like plastic shower curtains than something you'd find in a kitchen.

The seams between the wall planks look rather wide; do you have a reference photo?

The cast iron items - both the stove and the pans - are much lighter than is common.
Thanks! I'll look into these

Old (#11)
Absolutely stunning! Those outdoor shots...

I guess I have to pick up the U4 too.
Offline , null, 14 Posts, Join Date May 2014, Location Switzerland  

Old (#12)
Amazing!
Offline , spline, 117 Posts, Join Date Feb 2011, Location London, UK  

Old (#13)
to me, the indoor shots... they look and feel weird. just some objects stand out, like the barrel's material, and it feels extremely clean, like theres no dust or anything. But those outdoor shots, holy crap do those look amazing. I'd maybe add some animal tracks outside, but I don't know if they'd be very noticeable.
Offline , triangle, 440 Posts, Join Date Aug 2012, Location Pond Eddy, New York  

Old (#14)
This is looking amazing Ed

You've captured the lighting and atmosphere perfectly and the assets are great.

My only crit would be that the silhouette of the hut is very linear and CG. It may be worth breaking those lines or making them a little irregular at least?

Anyway cool work
Noel Mahoney
Environment Artist at Rebellion (Looking)
Portfolio | Twitter | LinkedIn
Offline , spline, 115 Posts, Join Date Mar 2010, Location United Kingdom  

Old (#15)
Very well executed! If I should nitpick you could improve on the snow to rock transition at the bottom of the rock meshes..
Valdemar NyhlÚn - Environment artist at Avalanche NYC
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,608 Posts, Join Date Oct 2009, Location New York, NY  

Old (#16)
Thanks for the crits guys ^^ Will post some more progress over the weekend.

Here's a quick fly through I did for the CGStudentAwards contest:
http://www.cgstudentawards.com/entri...nas-petrauskas

A bit disappointed that I didn't get to fully finish the environment before the deadline, but oh well there's always next year

Last edited by ed_3D; 05-16-2014 at 10:23 AM..

Old (#17)
When the music kicked in I got chills (pun intended). Fantastic work.

Edit: It would be great to see some flats of the cabin.
Offline , vertex, 29 Posts, Join Date Sep 2012,  

Old (#18)
Great work, man! The fly-through video is pretty cool.
Anthony Garcellano | Environment Artist
www.garcellano.com
Offline , line, 51 Posts, Join Date Feb 2014, Location San Diego, CA Send a message via Skype™ to garcellano  

Old (#19)
instantly reminded me of breaking bad, love the feel of it so far
Offline , spline, 140 Posts, Join Date Oct 2005, Location NY Area Send a message via AIM to polygoo Send a message via MSN to polygoo Send a message via Yahoo to polygoo  

Old (#20)
This is really excellent. Would love to see more breakdowns about your process, and good luck in the competition!
Offline , line, 73 Posts, Join Date Jul 2013,  

Old (#21)
Wow it's fantastic any tips on your snow shader?
Offline , null, 22 Posts, Join Date Apr 2013,  

Old (#22)
The snow shader is actually nothing fancy at all at the moment :p I used the fuzzy shading node to add a bit of fuzziness, the sparkling effect that I found in the UE3 docs and the material changes tiling based on its distance from the camera, and that's pretty much it haha.

I basically have 3 snow material functions (only 1 would have probably worked too with input nodes), 1 for thin snow that's been stepped on etc, 1 for deep smooth snow and 1 for snow dunes. Each one has a tileable normal and ao map that I baked from high polys that were created by projecting a World Machine generated height map onto a plane in Zbrush and then inflating/tweaking it a bit. And I just use those mat functions everywhere, like in my landscape material and any assets that have snow on them e.g. the log pile.

Here's one of the functions:

Here are some unlit/flat lighting and detail lighting screens too if anyone wants to see them

I'll try to post some breakdowns at some point

Old (#23)
I want to play in that snow so bad O_O

Beautiful stuff, I love it!
Offline , spline, 213 Posts, Join Date Oct 2013,  

Old (#24)
I really like your scene. Especially the outside.
Would you be willing to share a cooked/build version of your scene, so we can have a closer look ? I would love that.

Just a small thing, I would have made the snow particle les.. Constant.. More delay between the spawn waves, so they are not all constantly blowing. To have a more random/chaotic feel to them.
Julien Heijmans - http://be.linkedin.com/in/julienheijmans/ - http://www.julienheijmans.be
Environment Artist - Io Interactive
Offline , spline, 114 Posts, Join Date Oct 2007, Location Belgium  

Old (#25)
Thanks for the feedback!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ng.aniki View Post
Would you be willing to share a cooked/build version of your scene, so we can have a closer look ?
Possibly, I'll have a look If not, if all goes well the environment might be available on UE4 marketplace once it's finished.

Not much progress over the weekend, but here's what I got:

Heisenbag (puns ), some material tweaks, also tried playing around with some spiderweb placeholders and more dust to try and make the interior feel a little more abandoned. Need to finish off the rest of the interior props next

Last edited by ed_3D; 05-19-2014 at 06:43 PM..