Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Xelioth Posts Things to Get Critique

Hello everyone. I want you to help me get better! Will you oblige?

First offering:

683696352373665_.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6qvCZnQXJE"]MageBot Spin - YouTube[/ame]

How would you plus this?

I've got a few things I'm planning to do myself, such as material study from reference, but any thoughts you have are appreciated!

Replies

• CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
    - Colors read really well
    - Good amount of AO around edges
    - Gradients are spot on
    - Design is cool
    Only thing I can is that looks any odd is his hand looks a little flat, between the fingers
    He could also be a little more exaggerated in his stance and the model itself (example. His Hat could be warped) but that's up to you

All in all Good Job!
  • Xelioth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated with some actual texture study. Hopefully the metal looks a bit more like metal, the cloth like cloth, etc.

I also dropped the polycount to about 5500, and the texture sizes down to 1x 512 and 1x 256.

11kff2h.jpg

And thanks for the suggestions, Carl! I'll look into pushing the pose a bit as well, including making the hat a little floppy! :D
  • Xelioth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to make this guy my next sculpt in my ZBrush class.

1528737_10153020321062619_823179474_n.jpg

So first up is a basic low-poly sculpt of the character, and now into ZBrush to add the details. Will eventually bake this down back to the low.

2zh3wqh.jpg
  • Xelioth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZBrush High-poly of the king himself.

Screen%20Shot%202014-02-21%20at%203.38.47%20PM.png
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    The sculpt is coming along but the head could use some work. First I'd use spheres for the eyes. Right now it looks like you sculpted them out of a single mesh. I often find this separation ensures they are round and helps to structure the face around them. I also notice that in the concept, the character has a triangular head with the point at the top. You could probably pull bake the top part of the head and pull out the jaw. Finally, the cheeks should be one smooth mass.
  • Xelioth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The sculpt is coming along but the head could use some work. First I'd use spheres for the eyes. Right now it looks like you sculpted them out of a single mesh. I often find this separation ensures they are round and helps to structure the face around them. I also notice that in the concept, the character has a triangular head with the point at the top. You could probably pull bake the top part of the head and pull out the jaw. Finally, the cheeks should be one smooth mass.
    Thanks! I'll put some work into those suggestions when I have some spare time (or, failing that, next week during class, cause I'm in the heart of crunch time for my film).
  • Xelioth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had a little time for some tweaking! Added a sphere for his eyes, puffed out his cheeks into a smooth line, and gave him a slightly pointier head.

ayhJh6f.png?1
  • Xelioth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update with the assorted accessories.

24zivqx.jpg
  • Xelioth
  • Xelioth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1pcujxkwnc"]Bug King - YouTube[/ame]

912183544225965_.jpg

Finalized. Not bringing it back into low poly, cause I just don't have the time to clean that up.