Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Texturing studies. Four different miniature scenes in Marmoset 2.

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
LATEST UPDATE:
XVthi8c.jpg

I want to push my texturing and material definition skills. Instead of just doing material swatches I figured it would be more fun to do little mini diorama scenes.

This one is a greek inspired one. I have never textured marble before and my wood texturing skills are meh, so the idea is pretty straight forward. Here is what I have so far.
xjhMDLO.jpg

Any comments are welcome.

Replies

• unit187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 polycounter lvl 9
    This looks nice, great idea. My suggestion would be to give some variation to rocks. Probably make it like a rock has fallen from the cart and broken apart (even though those rocks would not break that easily, but it would be visually more interesting).
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I really like mini diorama style pieces. I'd just say create more visual interest and material opportunities. Right now everything looks like it's made from the same material. Make the wood have a bit more gloss than the ground and the ground less than the stone. Maybe add some fruit stand or something to help frame things a bit.
  • tharle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tharle polycounter lvl 9
    the edges of the blocks look a little too worn to me - marble is quite a hard stone so wouldnt really break apart so much imo. some broken corners are good but a few hard edges would be good too.

no crits on the wood, although compositionally i'd rotate the wheel so the planks dont run parallel to the main cart, just to break up the lines a little bit.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i feel like you need some variance in the gloss/roughness values here. the marble would ideally be quite a bit more glossy, the wood would have the biggest variance in glossiness though... gloss around the areas that are handled the most where natural oils seep in quite frequently and get rubbed by hands etc. similarly, you'd see quite worn wood along the inside edges of the cart where the marble has been rubbing against it and tearing it away quite frequently. The metal rim of the cart doesn't quite read as metallic yet either, again this can be fixed in just the gloss.
  • Pegbird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pegbird polycounter lvl 5
    Ditto on mini dioramas, I like them a lot too. The marble could definately use a generous helping of gloss. The wood looks great, perhaps a tad more variation in the albedo?

I've been doing a lot of experimentation in Marmoset 2 lately as well. It is extremely powerful for this sort of thing but that the image-based lighting can wash things out slightly and make values "too realistic". I've found pushing the sharpness filter on the camera settings and pushing the contrast of the spec/gloss maps helps offset this.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really appreciate the feedback, all good stuff, and is exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you so much. I will post an update soon.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tweaks and updates. Still not 100 happy with the wood. Might have to redo some of the grain and masks.
    GJNYD8C.jpg
    I accidentally rotated my camera here but I like the shot lol
    nFKqL0b.jpg

Any comments welcome. I want to start the next scene this weekend.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    I would add noise/ white specs into your gloss for the granite especially on the rough edges. As far as the wood goes I think it is looking good. What bugs me the most is the lack of wood grain on the flat planks. Also I would like to see more color and value change in the wood. It would look nice to add some cracks on the edge on the corners and edges of the wood with no gloss. Here are a few of reference images for you.

pictures-of-granite-rock-23333-hd-wallpapers.jpg

Heavy%20Cart%202001.jpg

depositphotos_13767855-Old-weathered-wood-sign-isolated-on-a-white-background-.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Definitely better. Keep pushing it. I know it helps me to do paintovers of my own own. Just free form ideas with a red pen in Photoshop. Sometimes the ideas won't work. But at times the ideas are really helpful.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Last update on this one. I gotta move onto the next one this week. Thanks for all the feedback, will post an update on the next one soon.
    L7Bxjak.jpg
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    This looks like a great study. Looking forward to the next ones!
  • sulzbunny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sulzbunny polycounter lvl 6
    really great way to present material studies. excellent work!
  • Assassinaded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like theres a shadow on the metal ring around the wheel. I personally think the wood has to much gloss.
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NomadSoul2501 polycounter lvl 10
    This is turning out great :)
    I think you can go rougher on the fresh cut marble though.
    If memory serves me right, marble is very matte until processed and polished.
    The floor tiles and the cart are fantastic though!
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started the next one, got the ground to the first pass. I think I need a little more large scale detail in there, but I am happy with it so far.
    VGXLBGn.jpg
    More to come this week.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WnZxfey.jpg
    Made the wall, got some awesome feedback from I Fought A Bear

Tweaking the ground still, not 100 percent happy with it yet. I want to get the wooden support beams in there tomorrow night.

Thanks for looking!
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XVthi8c.jpg
    Here is the setup of the scene with the main parts put in. I need to add the mine tracks and cart next which I think will help a lot. Any comments welcome.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Looking good!

My only critique would be: It looks very diffused. Almost like it's normal and diffuse only.

Perhaps add some simulated moisture to portions of the rocks to add some specular/gloss variance. Maybe water leaking from the sealing or something as well?

Inside%20Mine%20Lights.JPG

Maybe more diffuse variation as well, From asset to asset. They all read kind of similarly. I'd think the rocks lining the edge could be more similar to the walls, and maybe the pillars could be darker like old stained railroad ties?

Just some thoughts. Looking forward to the rails and cart being added.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    This is looking good. My only concern is that the majority of the materials will be exactly the same as the last scene you made. Might be a good idea to throw some plants or cloth or something in here. Coming along nicely!
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for feedback guys, I will keep those in mind moving forward.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Looking good! Where's the light in the front of the picture coming from? Is it supposed to be from a hole in the ceiling? If so I'd add some light rays or just replace it with a warmer light. Also agree with s6, might be a good idea to simulate some wetness on the rocks and wood, maybe even some puddles.
  • SaboR1996
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    Nice textures on the wood, wood texturing is seriously the bane of my existence, I cant sculpt it, I cant even get it to look good through photo sourcing, Great work