Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Monthly 'Newb' CHARACTER Challenge of Feb 2014

Replies

• Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    I finally got around to finishing up some projects so better late than never! :)

Blocked out some of the large forms
    9bf4fi8.png

Crits for you guys:

@ PyrZern: The boots look too heavy and large around the feet and ankles, I also can't tell if his head is too small or if the neck is a little too long, it might be a slight combination of both, his head looks odd in relation to the size of his shoulders.

@ fitzy2541: The waist and hips on your guy are really small in comparison to his upper body. In the concept his body doesn't taper as much and is more rectangle-ish than upside-down-triangle.

@ demon5026: I can't tell if his collar is too low or his neck is too long, the neck might be a little too thin too, hard to tell from here, closeups would be helpful.

@ stepcil: more angles would be greatly helpful for crits, but something I kind of noticed right away is that the arms are looking rather thin if you already have the tan-ish cloth blocked out. If you haven't blocked that out yet it looks fine for now.

@ tierzilla: looks good, my crit is pretty much the same as stevston89, the belts around the waist are sitting too low.

@ torch: looking good man! I'm not sure how much you can fix at this point, but apart from the chest being a little too wide I think the waist might be too small, it could be the angle though.

@ stevston89: I love the belts and the face on your model, I don't have much to critique really other than his torso might be a little bit on the small size. Looks good!

Sorry if I repeated anything, hope this helps you guys!
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @Alemja - Good start. Careful of the feet they bow in a bit too much right now.

Got a bunch done today. Nearly finished with the sculpt. Might re-sculpt the pants. Gonna take a look at them tomorrow. Also edited the boots from the concept and added some metal plating.

ADKRvFb.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    @Alemja Looking good there ! Nice direction you go with his head sculpt. I will double check my head/neck/shoulders again.

@stevston89 The pants' wrinkles might be too deep maybe. But kind of bugs me the most are his boot covers. They appear too... artificial O o'

Something important came up, and I gotta start another project right away. I'm spreading super thin now with 3-4 projs going on.
  • mmrashad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @stevston89 Wonderful work! I feel the lips could be lifted a bit more from the sides to provide a neutral expression like in the concept, and maybe pull down the eyebrows more to give a more weather-beaten feeling to him.

pszj.jpg

My first post in my first ever character challenge, hope I did well for the time being.
    This post is to provide you with a bit of background on the model going back two generations and with a rig setup.
    The face is still placeholder and will be reshaped after I'm done with the body, which is soon.
    I may in the end turn it highpoly with Sub-D and post it on sites like sketchfab, but I'm still deciding, especially because Sub-D means more time to make more edge loops to constrain the mesh.
    The render will probably be in realtime UDK.

Thank you for the critiques.
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kapoff polycounter lvl 11
    Here are the Hipoly shots! Got them them done few days ago but forgot to post them here... :/ My bad.
    Full_body_34.jpg
    Full_body_mds.png
    buste_mds.jpg
    details.jpg

I'm working on the lowpoly right now... Decimating all this in order to optimize the loading times. I hope to land the thingy tonight and around 20k tris with a set of 2K maps to really catch all the detail from the sculpt and add some more in the texture work afterwards. So yeah, that's my dude in all his 13Mil polys in Zbrush!
    Will update as soon as I get a lowpoly version going.
  • vaidoras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoa Kapoff nice work. I like the dents you put into his chest armor; the concept does not look like he is fresh out of barracks - it fits very well.

I will join you guys late. Here is what I have so far. Would love an anatomy check.
    CharacterStrip.jpg
  • zicoV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kapoff - Looking pretty good dude. The chest plate feels a little long at the bottom.

stevston89 - Awesome! Really like the face. One crit would be the folds seems too sharp. Maybe soften them up a bit.

Went into Max and did some various stuff like the belt, weapons and shoulder plates. Still need to tweak the form a little bit. Especially the shoulder area is bugging the hell out of me and I cant seem to get it right :b

niftx.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @mmrashad Looks like weird smoothing group on his torso armor. I think his hands are a tad small at the moment. And his shoulder muscles need more work.

@Kapoff That looks very nice man. Love the details of wears n tears.

@vaidoras Glad you join us :) The sculpt looks good. But his proportion looks kind of like a child, somehow. I also think his face can be more square-ish from the front.

@zicoV I can see what you mean about his shoulders. Not sure, but I think his shoulders should be like a slope down from his collars. Now what you get is a flat line across from shoulder to shoulder. http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/69/6d/34/696d340c4cdb8665afc9eed7a6adc799.jpg

Small update from me. Been working on an art test @_@ Anyway. Remade his belts. And worked more on his boots. Might call this kind of done now for sculpting. Maybe make the halberd smaller or slimmer, and a bit more details.
    Wtvf90Z.jpg
  • kay-vonlanthen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kay-vonlanthen polycounter lvl 7
    @vaidoras hi,you should avoid modeling your hands like this. its not the proper way for rigging :) always face the back of your hand to the sky.
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Killer work as always people. Keep it up :D

I could only finished face and blocking out beard. I would really appreciate some feedback and advices.

zMi6V3j.jpg

Kof8UMG.jpg

G1pOcrL.jpg

S0CyINW.jpg
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ Kapoff Nice Highpoly. The weapons' blades look a bit thin and dull though.

Been working on the High Polys for the weapons. Gonna move on to low poly stages now.

biDJjLy.jpg
  • tierzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tierzilla polycounter lvl 9
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey TAN, glad you join us ^^ I think his jawlines should be more square-ish from the front. His neck seems very thick from the back as well.
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow everyone seems to be progressing fantastically!
    @tan: The cheeks could be pulled out a bit more in my opinion, they feel a little flat.
    @steveson89: Sword looks sweet.
    @pyrzern: love the cloth folds, beard needs your attention though (but you probably already knew this.)
  • Pav3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    Finally got this sucker retop'd and baked, along with highy poly weps (wood grain, damage etc ill add when texturing) Belts need to be adjusted.
    msXSPaW.jpg

@stevston89: Thanks for the wep info, your weapons look great, the sword handle pattern looks a little too uniform tho. Id suggest making some folds not completely symmetrical, its a little too obvious in some places, particularly the boots.
    @Kapoff: Really nice renders, your belts and boot sole seams look very interesting.

edit: oh and anyone got any good low poly alpha beard tutorials anywhere? (besides the ones on the polycount wiki)
  • CapableWizard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CapableWizard polycounter lvl 9
    What's up guys, finally managed to make a start on this awesome challenge, some great work from everyone - Great to see everyone getting stuck in!

I've just blocked out some of the big shapes so far, apart from the face which is almost finished. I'm planning on taking it into Marmoset 2.0 and doing a nice next-gen character. I'm not sure if I'll finish it for the deadline, I have missed half the month now!

K9p9yGm.jpg

JpWLrHk.jpg

Pav3d: Great work! really clean low poly and bake :) the skin tone looks very dark, I'd lighten it slightly unless that's the look you're going for. Really nice though, I'm looking forward to seeing this finished

stevston89: Looking good! nice crisp, sharp blades :) The wood on the axe lets it down slightly, it reminds me of hand painted blizzard wood and less realistic than the blades somehow? Also I can't really imagine the wood would get chipped behind the blade, it would almost have to be made by a penknife or something, probably nitpicking somewhat, interested to see how the low poly will look :D

TAN: Good start! A few things, I hope you don't mind a quick paint over :)
    SozJbtU.jpg
    Always try to keep the structure of the skull and the "muzzle" in mind it will help to sell a lot of the realism :) Also the forms of the eyes arn't really there. Old people tend to have a flap of skin hanging over the outer corner of the eye, I've sketched out some ideal planes :) You have an off ridge below the eye as well. I feel like this should be either part of the eyebag or it should be a crevice, atm its just a random line :) A good start though, don't be afraid to get stuck in and really carve out some forms :D

PyrZern: So quick :O Looking really good though :D There are a few inconsistencies with the concept, his left shoulder pad is rounded at the top, also the undercoat thing isn't quilted - If these are stylistic choices then ignore me haha :D Also an axe wouldn't realistically use a scabbard? I something like this would be more practical, the current design would take forever to unsheath and the sharp blade is still exposed which kinda defeats the point of the scabbard!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Oh daym Pav that's looking really nice, great bake! Capable good start on the head too, has a lot of character :)
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @thepapercut I'm debating if I should make planes for beard, or if I want to make it solid mesh... I don't really know how to make alpha for hair though... Hmmm. Then then again, I'm supposed to be learning.

@Pav3d OMG, dude. The lowpoly looks so nice. Like, so smooth and so clean. *dies*

@CapableWizard Hey, glad you decide to jump on this!! I'm sure you will finish this in time just fine :) Love the style you give to his head. Indeed I am taking some liberty with the design. Especially the tunic undercoat. Not so sure about his shoulder pad yet, though. We will see. But yeah, dunno want to do with his axe scabbard LOL!!
  • tierzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Pav3d: Nice bakes , are you gonna get him a little pouch or something in the back part to cover the belts? , btw the neck looks really long to me.
    @CapableWizard: i really like the weight of the character and the face expresion!
    @Kapoff: the sword looks kinda small to me , maybe scale it a bit?.

recently notice the shoulderpads where differents by checking yours :d , didnt have time to work on this character this few days , gotta go fast!
  • Pav3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    @CapableWizard: I love that head! Really good
    @Tierzilla: nah i just moved them around, youre right, im gonna adjust the neck.
    @PyrZern and Torch: Thanks!
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ CapableWizard - Face looks great. Proportions look good as well, though I think the pose is to relaxed to make a low poly with it.

@ Pav3d - Nice bake! I don't think the neck is too long. I think the neck is just lacking thickness at the base.

Final highpoly here. Went back in can cleaned up some stuff. Also added some wear to the cloth areas.

58O3ZPN.jpg
  • TheWildHunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to participate this month, despite not having max up and running at the moment, this should be a highly interesting challenge.

Heres my quick blockout, I want to get all the big defining shapes in before I start in with the accessories (also a bit afraid of hardsurface zbrushing, any tips would be awesome).

i9xzk3A.jpg
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d: That's one of a sexy bake you got yourself right there... Daym!

TheWildHunt : Nice blockings. Looking good but maybe the gloves should he higher and the short sleeves(the dark brown ones on the concept)could be larger.

• TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Yo people great work !

I am trying to finsh modeling today with all my speed and endurance. I just dropped in to ask something

My friend just told me that that is "Conquistador" type of armour.

I searched a bit and really that armour is really a look a like

So what do you guys say ? Is it simply a middle age Middle Europe armour or Conquistador ?

Good luck and keep up the good work. I will make a nice update here around night time and will give lot's of feedbacks also.
  • Ravenok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ravenok polycounter lvl 7
    Sup all!
    some very nice stuff here... gonna be nice to see the end results.

Didn't have enough time to do too much progress but here's where I'm at right now:
    xC4mnxL.jpg

A lot of parts still missing, but I think I need to post some progress and that's where I'm at right now. :)
    Hopefully I'll at least finish the hi poly and color by the end of the month.
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And by the way, how do you guys are planning to do the hair and beard?
    I hesitate to do it fully in small planes, but maybe buit a semi-transparent shell and add some planes on top of that would lokg better... Really don't know right now...
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ Kapoff - I plan on doing all alpha planes, but I am only doing that because I need to get better at that process. If you are going for speed I could easily see something good being made with solid geo and a few cards to break silhouette working.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd like to try alpha planes for real, but the result has been crappy so far :(

I still think the guy is more conquistador than medieval. Conquistador was my first impression of the image, and there are many reasons. Halberd is number one. Conquistador was known to use it. Medieval guy wasn't. Sword and Axe is also more Conquis, than Medieval counterpart which used more of Sword and Mace. Conquistador mostly used lighter armor, like leather and breastplate. He is, however, lacking the Conquis's signature Morion helmet.

@Ravenok Looking good there budd. Becareful of the curved line from shoulder to his arms. Him upper arms seem a bit off.
  • Anthony44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rafferty@- I was going to do a low poly mobile 2k fig. but I change my mind to Med poly (as for apps im using blender (base) and sculptris (sculping & poly paint) also going to try an idea I had for making a light map in sculptris.
    Torch@-Nice work digging your work from low poly to high keep it up
    Pav3d@-diging your work also. The head on your first posts kinda looked liked Donald sutherlan I like it when your working on stuff and it has a mind of its own.2f327786860fa57bf96f882b955f404e.png
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    I just found a fantastic piece of art for next month's challenge :D
  • Rafferty_Eggleston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rafferty_Eggleston polycounter lvl 9
    Everyone is making really nice progress! Sorry I've been really busy this last week. I'm glad to see some more new faces joining the challenge! I'll be back in the next day or two with more progress and critiques. Gotta hit the hay!

Here is what I've got so far. Still need to detail a lot of the pieces. Reworked all of the folds on everything. I have all the weapons modeled and ready for sculpting as well.

feb_progress_07_by_rafferty_eggleston-d76ze84.jpg
  • Pav3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    @Kapoff: Im using small planes with 3ds maxs Paint Object thingy, here is how its looking like so far, there is still a lot to do, and those hair planes are just tests atm:

tygiCqt.jpg
  • tierzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey Pav thats looking really nice can you enlightme a little here's what i have but it looks really weird =S

AGe0C0J.jpg
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    awesome progress everyone! damn, iv been slacking!

TheWildHunt , good start dude, got a good feel to it. For hardsurface, HPolish and TrimDynamic are the brushes i use along with dynamesh boolean ops.

stevston89, looking real good dude, great work on that highpoly!

CapableWizard solid face dude! :)

Pav3d, dang dude, thats a slick lowpoly/bake!

TAN, good base for the head, but i would say spend a bit more time on the face if you can. Drop the ref behind zbrush and use the window transparency to see it and try and bring out the eyebrows/cheekbones a bit closer. some solid feedback on it from CapableWizard too.

PyrZern good progress dude, i got a similar stitching pattern as you :)
    also i think you could do with scaling up his head a bit, seems small in your latest screen.

anyhoo, i havent had a chance to do very much on this, so i dont think theres a chance i will finish this in time :( so this is my tap-out for feb..but hopefully can finish it at some later point atleast!

good luck to the rest of you folkes:) will be cool to see who manages to wrap things up in time :D

MedievalDude_04.jpg
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ pav3d - I think you have way too many cards currently. Also your cards are way to similar. You want each card to be used for different purposes, not just different for different sake. Here is a reference image from last of us for this thread:

tumblr_mokkyshEio1rk5dgco1_1280.jpg

@ tierzilla - Take a look at the image I posted it may help. Also take a look at this.

@ JohhnyRaptor - I think the torso is looking way oversized currently.

Started working on the face. Gotta start the beard soon...

c8Emm05.jpg
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Sorry I been Mia guys...moved last week and just got sorted. Cable will be turned on so I will update and do a long list of critiques. Looking amazing guys. Steveston you got a SSS on that, right? Same thing I am doing too. Hope it looks half as good.
  • DarthBartus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tptXfwp.jpg

My progress so far.
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Man you guys are great and I am tired :D

I made some progress and wanted so share it here.
    I took the feedback about the face and did something about cheekbones and jawline.

I found a way to take bake my maps in ZBrush so I re scheduled my pipeline for that. Please consider these as "lowpoly presentations" for final model.

Hopefully tomorrow I will be done with halberd, all UV's and started detailing for normalmaps and polypainting.

I can't give any feedbacks now due to being overworked, and in my book if you can't do something well you shouldn't do it at all :D

So here goes. As always feedbacks and suggestions are always required.

Goodnight people.

vAqKLp4.jpg

GFhb0Um.jpg

2sLPwDr.jpg

DwQ9Eyy.jpg

Q0F5iqN.jpg

gmEZpfb.jpg

W99rXXG.jpg
  • tierzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @TAN: The pants and the upper arms looks to skinny , maybe raising up the "skirt" thing so it can go below the armor part.
    @DarthBartus: Nice start this is what i think with the glove.

LO9Ae86.jpg

@stevston89: thanks for the prev links! looking awesome , the pores are from a texture or you sculpted them?.
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks for the feedback fierzilla.

I am just finished with halberd and modelling. Just wanted to post two screenshots and continue to unwrapping.

s34TwQj.jpg

iZ2SBMM.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN, so your workflow is to uv unwrap before adding details in ZBrush ? I guess that's mean no more dynamesh or zremesher ?
  • CapableWizard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work guys, I'll try and leave some feedback later :) For now here's my latest wip:

AQadYZg.jpg

Keep up the good work everyone :D
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Hey Capable, cool progress. I think his heads a little large giving the overall piece a kinda childlike look, could do with shrinking a bit. Face itself looks great though!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Just to add to my last post, how do you guys sculpt the 'lips' on the belts, as in the top and bottom of the belt where its extruded out a bit? I usually try to use standard brush with lazy mouse but never looks that clean.

I heard a good way is to use curve tubes brush with frame mesh enabled, but looks kinda weird having tubes on the top and bottom of the belt. Pav you seem to have some quite cleanly sculpted belts, were they just modelled?
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ Dimfist - Thanks. Yeah it's Marmoset 2's skin shader. I can share textures and stuff later for the face if people want.

@tierzilla - Thanks. All the pores were indeed sculpted in.

@ CapableWizard - Looking nice! Only crit would be careful about the size of the torso. It is looking on the small side.

@ Torch - I like to build all of those type of details cleanly in my base mesh or at least plan the geo for it. If I need a lip I will model it in. If need a seam I will work it into the topology of my base mesh and add some extra loops to ssupport the detail.

Slow going on beard stuff so far... Just have a mustache so far ( it's only a flat color for the albedo right now). Also did some work on the skin textures. Don't know that I will get the rest of it done this month. Think I will definitely finish this one off though.

Zqh1vg2.jpg
  • CapableWizard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch & stevston89: Thanks guys, I'll check the head/torse size tonight, the FOV was screwed in that render due to some zbrush scale issues which didn't help!

+1 on seeing the skin shader breakdown, great work :D
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    PyrZern wrote: »
    TAN, so your workflow is to uv unwrap before adding details in ZBrush ? I guess that's mean no more dynamesh or zremesher ?

Yep. I will only be able to Divide and add details and polypaint from this point on. Anything that changes the actual geometry or " silhoutte " wil just result in doom :D

So it is pretty delicate process, that is why I don't work on it when I am tired or emotionally unstable. But if I can pull it off it will reduce overall work time by %25 ( approximately) which is quite good.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ TAN - I really would recommend not using that workflow. It may save time, but it is a huge loss in quality. Being able to change the forms as you go is a huge part of learning to sculpt. If you can't change it than you are stuck with any mistakes you make at the early stages. Also if you have to fix anything major it is a huge time sink. If you want to get better I would ditch your current process all together. You want to get quality first not speed.
  • Kapoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low_wip.PNG
    Small WIP of my lowpoly. Body Uv'ed and baked (still need to tweak some bad spots with blockers and bake my material mask.) The head is still just the Lowpoly flat shaded too...

stevston89: your guy looks awesome with his awkward mustache! Love it!
    And thanks for the TLoU reference pic. I wanted to find it later and use it as a ref because I remember that Joel's face looked dope in gameplay videos on Youtube.

CapableWizard: Coming along pretty well dude! Keep it up!

EDIT: Upade, finished the bakes and started defining the materials on a global scale. Once I'm done with that raw tunning, I will paints roughly the face in Zbrush in order to work on the skin shader in a deeper way than the flat shaded one now...
    MCNC_feb14_low_body_wip.jpg
  • Pav3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pav3d insane polycounter
    @stevston89: Thanks for the advice, im going to redo it, ive been trying all sorts of techniques. I think my workflow was all wrong, I was making the texture before the planes, im going to try a different approach.

@CapableWizard: Looks great, armour is nice and clean.

@Torch: Yep they were done in 3ds max from splines and then move brushed into place in zbrush.

@Anthony44: Thanks, I shouldave used Donald Sutherland as a ref really, wouldave been fitting!

@tierzilla: The links stevston89 are very handy!