Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

omneom - work thread

omneom
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
omneom polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys !

I've been following polycount for a few years now, but never actually got around to posting. Thank you for all those awesome threads and posts !
So really nice to meet you.

I'll be using this thread as my working thread and post all my work here, i've found this to work better than having dozens of threads sprea around. Allthough i will focus on next gen assets, i might also add some low poly stuff i've worked on for mobile devices and concept art.

All sorts of crits are welcome and much appreciated.

On the shotgun:
It's based on a concept art from gears of war that never made it in the final game. The model is ~ 10 000 tris, uses diffuse, specular, glossiness and normal maps (2048*)

ps:
I have no ideea how to introduce images in the thread. Tried using the insert image with using the attached files but doesn't work. Should i resize them? Thank you

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Use IMGUR, upload onto their and then use a BBC code to get it formatted into the post.
  • omneom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    omneom polycounter lvl 6
    Thank you JadeEyePanda !

Seems to be working now.

z5yUomf.jpg?1
    8XijyBN.jpg?1
    xobwYqi.jpg?1
    5Xue8qm.jpg?1
  • BJA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BJA
    That looks really great! Can you show the concept?
  • omneom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    omneom polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks ! Glad you like it.
    I do not know the author of the concept, so if anybody knows who he is so i can credit him please send me a PM.

This is the concept that i found on google.

2356881-gears-of-war-3-sawed-off-shotgun.jpg
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Very nice. I'd love to see the High and low wires ^^

Also, The first image has some nasty compression. Not sure why. It will load a bit slower, But try cubeupload.com

free, Quick, Simple, And no compression ;)
  • omneom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    omneom polycounter lvl 6
    @ s6 : tried cubeloa :D seems to be working good.
    Here are the high and low (wire + normal)

t73qkH.jpg
    fFJiJG.jpg
    n16flg.jpg
    WUqK6x.jpg

Cheers !
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    shiney :) very cool
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Looking really good, but I think you need to take a closer look at the materials. The barrel is a way darker metal and more of a blue tone. At the base of the barrel add some red into the diffuse and the spec. I did a quick paintover to show what I mean. It is a bit over saturated , but you get the idea.

llRAS4S.jpg
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    That over saturation is pretty freakin' cool looking though. Nice work in general, love this piece.
  • omneom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    omneom polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys, i'm glad you like it.

@stevston89:
    thanks for the tip man, really appreciate it, i kind of like the over-saturation look too, not so much on the lower metals, but on the barrel and trigger mechanisms. I'll try it out over the weekend.
  • nimlot26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nimlot26 polycount lvl 666
    stevston89 wrote: »
    Looking really good, but I think you need to take a closer look at the materials. The barrel is a way darker metal and more of a blue tone. At the base of the barrel add some red into the diffuse and the spec. I did a quick paintover to show what I mean. It is a bit over saturated , but you get the idea.

llRAS4S.jpg
    Or he could just change the garage sky from marmoset since it's all green and use another sky. It will do the trick since i know for sure that his barrel has a nice blue-red gradient. :poly124:
  • Urzaz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Urzaz polycounter lvl 6
    I was curious who did the shotgun concept, my first impression was it felt like a UT weapon.

Reverse image search says it's from Gears of War 3, which makes sense, a little further digging got me Hawkprey's conceptart.org post, and then his blog: http://hawkprey.blogspot.com/

So uhm, some of you probably knew this, but I didn't so I figured I'd leave it here for future reference.
  • omneom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    omneom polycounter lvl 6
    @ Ursaz:
    Thanks for the search mate.
    Hawkprey blog's totally worth it.
    Cheers !
  • Jeffrotull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeffrotull polycounter lvl 3
    This is so badass! Great work w/ your materials
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    Nicely done, the end result feels very warframe to me rather than gears of war, either way it's not a bad thing :)!
  • omneom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    omneom polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys !
    Long time no see, recently i was digging through some old projects and stumbled upon this and though it might be a good ideea to finnish it.
    High poly is not exactly done, since i want to take it into zbrush and detail it some more - scratches, dents and such. I've also attached some sketches i made and the current state of the low poly object (somewhere around 20 k tris). I've been spending the last few days unwrapping. My target tri-count is under 25k, hopefully this will be a portfolio piece.

The motorcycle is based on a Honda VFR 750 (94-97 model) which i own, and the project started as a way to customize my bike (alas in real-life) which i'm still working on (but it's an expensive hobby).

Decided to ditch the fairings, belly shield and change rear sub-frame design.

Looking for a rat/cafe-racer/fighter look.

Hope you guys dig.

bfUwRS.png
    HSOq16.jpg
    JmSnNT.jpg
    9dnDkP.jpg
  • omneom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    omneom polycounter lvl 6
    Alrighty, so it's painstainkanly done.
    About 25000 tris, normal, albedo, metalness, gloss and emissive. The chain is a separate material (can be animated).

Here it goes, hope these aren't too many.

DfR01r.jpg
    EXhQSE.jpg
    pIxsZw.jpg
    uisr0q.jpg
    Pzi0E6.jpg
    XlGUxe.jpg
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    DUUUUUDE. I duno how I missed your last post with that gun. AND this motorcycle. DAMN. Good job!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    I would add more geo to the tires right now they look very jaggy and not smooth/round.
  • omneom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    omneom polycounter lvl 6
    Thank you mate ! Deeply appreciated, it's been hell unwrapiing and texturing the past two weeks.

Got to see what i start doing next.

@ae: yep i really screwed up the tyre geometry.

@ stevson : aye !

I'll retopo the tyres, unfortunately i have to bake the normal map again, hopefully things will still match.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    You really need to add geo to those tires. They should be one of the most dense pieces in order to get a nice clean round shape. Otherwise it looks great!
  • omneom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    omneom polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys !
    I've added geo to the tires and exhaust so it looks better now. You were right :D.
    I didn't get to do much else since i had to leave for a week to work on location.

Would any of you guys be kind enough to comment on my portfolio, what should i cut and what else should I add?

I intend to move to London soon, but need to get a job there first, pay rent, taxes and so on.

If you think I'm crazy, yup, I am.

I will be spending the next 2 months working everyday on my portfolio until it's worthy of getting noticed.

So, without further ado:
    http://www.omneom.portfoliobox.me/

Right now I am interested expressely in the quality of my work and not the website layout or design (which is non existent), but would appreciate any sort of critiques and comments you have.

I have been slowly trying to go from mobile games to next gen, but I am willing to do anything (almost) to move to London as soon as possible.

Thnak you.

Also here's a mech for ya ( wip) :

k0HdDm.jpg
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Your site loaded up with nothing on the main page. I had to click 3d at the top right to see anything. Get everything on that first loaded page. I dont like how your images load either. It loads but the image is small, you cant zoom in, and then you have to click that TINY arrow for it to scroll to the right. Then, after a while of scrolling, images just stopped loading. To top it off, you cant save any of the images. Terrible format man...just make it simple...thumbnails that lead to a page with all the images per piece. Also, you don't need a billion separate renders of one piece. Be concise but show off what you got. 1 or 2 renders with 3/4, front, side, back, a breakdown render (wireframe, normals, etc), and a possible texture sheet should suffice. The gun and the bike are the only assets I would keep from what you ahve shown. I didn't really bother to look closely at your 2d but that didn't seem terribly strong. You can keep it but just have your main page load your 3d stuff.
  • omneom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    omneom polycounter lvl 6
    Hey slosh! Thank you very much for your comments. I am a bit ashamed aboyt my mobile or old work and that's why I'm working so hard to replace them. I will also be rwplacing the sitw qhen I have enough good portfolio pieces.
    CHeers
  • omneom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    omneom polycounter lvl 6
    So hey guys, new updates :
    LE : Also got myself a website: www.robertdeleanu.com but it seems to be down now thanks to wix.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwWYGdskrDs[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttVYT48ZL4I[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QkFSU0yVcs[/ame]

yLuH0j.png

4b3AaG.png

5saiC6.png
  • nimlot26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nimlot26 polycount lvl 666
    Really nice work man. I love the textures. Keep them coming.
  • omneom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    omneom polycounter lvl 6
    Thank you Nimlot !