Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Kramo Portfolio Review #1

[Deleted User]
triangle
Offline / Send Message
[Deleted User] triangle
I come from a gaming background (BFA, Game Production) and like doing it sometimes BUT... It turns out that my passion is modeling, texturing and lighting/rendering for interior and exterior scenes. I've been at it for a while now and I realize that it's time for me to take another leap in skill level.

Here is my site: http://www.craigmonroe.com/home.html

Also, what do you think will help me get my skills up? I know I need to learn the graphite modeling tools, organic modeling and more about post-production Photoshop work.

Replies

• Laughing_Bun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laughing_Bun polycounter lvl 17
    You need to find a concept or a cool picture and try to copy it. I can't tell what any of your props are supposed to be. And when you get ready to actually apply for jobs you need to filter your portfolio. You have a lot of "product rendering" and archviz stuff. That really has no place in a game portfolio and is pretty much repellent for any potential game employers.

Focus on copying something fairly complex and that will show you where your skills fall. Right now you are well below the mark.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] triangle
    Thanks for the feedback. I do think I should show more complex models than whats available there. I have been told in the past to filter my work by instructors and later go into an interview to be told they want to see a variety of skill sets. They like the categories. I don't know what o do about that.

When it comes to the props not being recognized, by gamers at least, I'm not worried. I don't intent that to be arrogant or anything. It's just that I worked with interior designers in the past and they know what they are. When It comes to the general/game stuff I see your point.

Thanks, man.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] triangle
    Oh, and I'm planning to try the Sydney Opera House (exterior) to show what I can do. I'm open to suggestion too.
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    My review of your site:
    - Way too small thumbnails overall, I shouldn't have to click a picture to see any detail.
    - The game category link image doesn't lead anywhere.
    - I can't save your picture or open them in new tabs. Just get rid of lightbox, it's fucking junk.
    - Don't show WIP as it'll look like you don't finish stuff.
    - You need to improve your texturing a lot as frankly the game textures are currently pretty bad.
    - I'd scrap all the pieces in the game section as they are all very basic objects with bad texturing (especially the round gate thingy, it's so low-res that it could fit in Quake 1 or 2).
    Kramo wrote: »
    Also, what do you think will help me get my skills up? I know I need to learn the graphite modeling tools, organic modeling and more about post-production Photoshop work.
    If you want to work work with environment you don't need much organic work (beyond a few trees/plant) focus more on hard surface stuff instead (like making tile-able floor texture). I'd first learn some proper highpoly modeling (with sculpting), then lowpoly modeling, texturing, lighting. If you don't want to do hand-painted stuff of course, then you'd focus a lot more on the texturing first.

Also you shouldn't need a lot of post-processing either, because your working inside a game engine mostly everything you need should be there. The only thing I'd do in post-pro for an environment would be some color adjustments and brightness/contrast tweaks. If you're making individual props you could also spice up the background a bit (light smoke, glow or whatever), but there should never be something that covers your art.

Thanks for the feedback. I do think I should show more complex models than whats available there. I have been told in the past to filter my work by instructors and later go into an interview to be told they want to see a variety of skill sets. They like the categories. I don't know what o do about that.
    If you really want to keep all the categories make the image links contain the actual category description, because right now it's hard to tell what you'll get when you click a link. Partly because the pictures are so small and zoomed in and I can't tell from a first glance what they're supposed to be.
    When it comes to the props not being recognized, by gamers at least, I'm not worried. I don't intent that to be arrogant or anything. It's just that I worked with interior designers in the past and they know what they are. When It comes to the general/game stuff I see your point.
    If we cannot recognize what you've done we cannot realize how well it is executed which means you might as well leave it out IMO.

I'm still a student and don't work in the game industry (yet) so take what I say as you will.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9

Thanks, man.
    Oh, and I'm planning to try the Sydney Opera House (exterior) to show what I can do. I'm open to suggestion too.

Ok, so I thought I'd post seeing as I myself, am in a similar boat to you. I studied game design at University finished with a top degree and enjoyed doing game stuff; I still want to work in games however took the first studio job I was offered and at the mo am a 3D artist for a architect/vis company. Its no where near what I want to do but its experience and paying my dues so to speak; and i'm lucky to get paid to learn max whilst I used Maya, and learn a new range of skills surrounded by talented people.

Whilst here, I've worked on several projects that I feel are suitable for my portfoilio; but will be in a seperate section and will be considered more "padding" then anything else as I would like game work to dominate my image and simply use this as "studio time" in that i've worked in a proper pipeline environment...

What I would recommend, is for you to decide what you want to work on; i.e. film, arch or games; because they're similar but far far different. I would also suggest you scrap a huge portion of your portfolio; even though your arch scenes are ok; they're not what i'd call portfolio quality... and disregarding what you say about interior designers and your props... they are extremely basic props/products you've got there; even for interior scenes...

As others have said; work on tilable textures in zbrush, model to a concept using normal maps and textures/unwrapping skills in contrast to relying on fancy renders, materials and lighting.

Just my two cents
    - Dave