Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK[ SciFi Post Apoc Pub

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
Saw this concept in one of the Monthly Noob Challenges by Hethe Srodawa Wasn't picked for the month but thought I'd have a crack at it. I've dabbled in UDK a bit but this is my first serious project so I'm hoping Polycount will help me out if I get stuck! :)

Concept: r93Bn5O.jpg

Heres the blockout and some texture work, nothing crazy yet.

rqFoIUX.jpg

Replies

• 3Dash
    Hey, this looks good, I've just started this environment a couple of days ago, we could help each other out :)

One thing I noted is the metal bars at the top just under the ceiling look too large compared to the concept and the floor texture looks a little stretched
  • Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update chipping away at it,

mt3XyiD.jpg

Interior space

Ujv6PJ2.jpg
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    Looking good, so far. You're over all scene feels slightly smaller than the concept piece though. Maybe scale the walls up a bit so it doesn't feel quite so cramped :)
  • snake85027
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    looks good so far, keep going on it.
  • JoQ
    Very nice. So far it reminds me of the bar in an episode of Samurai Jack. Post-apocalyptic and dive-y.
  • SirSpangles
    Offline / Send Message
    SirSpangles polycounter lvl 4
    much smaller than the concept indeed. very nice though. fix them light maps in the ceiling to
  • Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks ya'll

it is a bit cramped. i was a bit aware of it originally while blocking out, but I was trying to be mindful of how all the pieces fit together and snap together nicely as well as maximizing texture space (floor tiles are 2:1 ratio) so thats contributing to some of the miss-proportions. Thanks for the comments,

JoQ I loved Samurai Jack back in the day, i don't know the scene you're talking about though :(

SirSpangles the ceiling is temporary, its just the proxy blockout mesh with crappy lightmap for now.
  • Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    another weekly update. Raised the ceilings 2 feet. finished up some more props and such. temporary sky in place right now as well. crits welcome!

iSRhHPG.jpg

2g8QngM.jpg
  • Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres the latest. Anyone know how you can make a translucent material cast shadow? really wish my glass bottles would cast shadow but not receive shadow. I thought of a workaround for final presentation - bake lights with opaque glass material, then change it back to translucent and shadows will remain baked in...

Z2HcZV2.jpg

Zq6HWLa.jpg
  • Endfinity Jon
    Offline / Send Message
    Endfinity Jon polycounter lvl 8
    Hey there Coots!

I love the concept you've chosen, and I've got a couple suggestions.

Firstly, your floor looks a bit off. It seems to be the same material your walls are made of, looks a little like concrete. I think the walls are pretty close to where they need to be, dusty concrete. However, I feel like the floor is more of a metallic surface with more specular response/reflectivity and rust/stains in key areas. Both the floor and the walls you have look pretty similar so I think trying to separate the floor to the metallic sheen will help you out here.

Next, sun direction and lighting. The directionality is a little deceiving. It's coming right to left, you can see it coming through the window and casting a shadow on the little phone thing (screen left). The angle needs a bit of work, yours is casting longer shadows as if it's late afternoon instead of the maybe 2 or 3pm that the image suggests. This asks the question, where is the big outer floor shadow coming from? Looks like there could be an overhang at the top of the building that is getting cast downward on the floor? Might want to consider getting some sort of architectural element out of the frame that extends off the building so you can get that shadow footprint.

Excited to see your updates, keep at it,
    -Jon
  • Stirls
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    I agree with Endfinity Jon. Some more obvious specularity would benefit you, for sure.

Looks great, though. Perhaps you could add some variety to the seats. They're a bit uniform.
  • Rhoutermans
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    about the shadows, u can set a mesh in there that casts the shadow, and put it on 'hidden game' in the mesh' properties. I like the overall scene, but like they said above me some specular material pimping could really help :) Keep goin'!
  • Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you all for the great suggestions!

currently there is a billboard off camera casting a shadow in the foreground, but it definitely needs to be positioned better and made bigger, I was also thinking of hanging some cloth to act as a make shift awning.

The floor I'm planning on adding a reflection map to the shader once I finish the scene and bake out a cube map, that should give it more of a metal feel to it. Currently the spec map is derived from one of the RGB channels of the diffuse, I didn't feel I had the best control, so thats another thing I could re visit, thanks for the reminder and thank you for the critiques everyone!

good suggestion Rhoutermans I'll check out the hidden in game option today.
  • Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    another update. almost all assets are done, few more to go + the background. i attempted to get some reflection on the floors, it's subtle, still probably going to revisit but i felt it was too strong all around. I may try blurring an image and using that as the reflection texture as well.

EDIT: yaa soo i guess these images are dark.... PPC + PS levels... haha sorry, didn't notice really til I check at home.

SgI7f2l.jpg

7F29cvC.jpg

NxLxXT3.jpg
  • Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    more more more, background stuff and some lighting, env fog.

The trees are just cards.. i'm hoping it holds up good enough

G2fw2nK.jpg

7bdxLYq.jpg
  • Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    the latest, got into DX11 stuff with image based reflections and changed the lighting a bit

j4Ms89a.jpg
  • TDub
    Offline / Send Message
    TDub polycounter lvl 13
    Looking really nice and true to the concept. Would brighten up the shadows a bit more, mainly in the center of the image.
  • keffer
    its looking awesome, can't wait to see it when its finish
  • Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok more refined materials, couple new small props, some decals, and 2 TODs: night and sunset.

7eF4M5a.jpg

aZfjj4H.jpg

MBrAU8f.jpg

3SkopUU.jpg
  • Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    calling this one done

more images can be seen on my website: www.clarkcoots.com

sciFiPub001.jpg

sciFiPub002.jpg