Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[CE3] - ScottHomer's Destruction Dioramas

Replies

• digitaldavinci
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    digitaldavinci polycounter lvl 15
    Hey man, long time fan of your work, and following it closely. I think your texture work is amazing. From diffuse, to spec and gloss, and to normal. The fine touches and close eye to details show how much of a true artist you are. Your hi-poly work is great, and your bakes are super clean.

I'm eagerly awaiting the breakdown of the Jukebox asset, and seeing the updates to your diner. Awesome work! I will be using your art as a benchmark from my own current project. Thanks.
  • kernersvillan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kernersvillan polycounter lvl 9
    Beautiful piece man! The texture work and material definition are top notch. Cant wait to see moar!
  • underfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    underfox polycounter lvl 7
    Are you planning to show your 50's destructed scene using this thread or will you ( or maybe already have ) create a new one? I would really love to follow it. Your works is outstanding and bring so much inspiration. Yea I know, you must hear that a lot lately but that's kinda true ;)
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updatez!

Evening all!

So I havent had a great deal of time for personal work recently, I did the talk at the Bournemouth BFX festival a week or so ago and work has been my priority. Every few hours I can steal here and there I have been doing alittle work on the Diner Diorama. The actual structure is based on an actual Diner myself and my Girlfriend visited on Seth's recommendation. The composition and lighting are both still very much in the air at the moment but hopefully this atleast puts across an idea of what the final scene might look like. I have a 3 day weekend this weekend coming so I will hopefully get more work done on it then! Anyways:

diner_wip.jpg

I also didnt post the finished jukebox..
    diner_jukebox_finished4_1k.jpg

I also recaptured the final Stately Home diorama..now in HD:
    stately_home_final1080_title.jpg

Comments replies: (Apologies for the lack of replies, I have been sooo busy!)

@underfox - I will be keeping all of the work in the one thread! There is no point me clogging up Polycount with a tonne of oh-so-similar threads! I really appreciate the kind words and Im glad that you are able to take some motivation away from the project, knowing that keeps me motivated during the times when my enthusiasm for a project gets low.. thank you man!
    @kernersvillan - Cheers dude, I really appreciate that.

@digitaldavinci - Thank you so much man! I am really anal with this stuff, I try and ensure that all of my bakes are as close to perfect as they can be and my uv's are packed correctly. Its all good practice :D

I will discuss with work if they would allow me to post the breakdown of the jukebox, ill let you know!

@imb3nt - Thank you dude!

@badmouse - Thank you! I dont know exactly I would say probably about 10 seperate textures ranging from 256 to 1024. I split assets up as I would do at work, rather than just putting everything onto the same texture.

@Stephanie - Thank you! I have spent quite some time im recent years trying to perfect my material definition so I am glad you noticed :D

@Iciban - Cheers dude! thanks for the king words, I cant take too much credit, Cryengine makes anything look great... :D

@polycrunch - I will as the guys at work If I can show the breakdown of the asset and get back to you! Im glad you like it though! PS I added the nails at the back :D

@ILLMATIC - Thank you dude, Im really trying to aim for that small town feel, Id like to create a backstory to the diner, maybe a sports team related to the town it came from etc, just to give it that small-ville-esk feel,

Stockwell - Ahah thank you man! Sorry about your underpants :D I have updated the material definition slightly, the actual jukebox has a chrome base and I ended up deciding to implement that into my model, I prefer it some ways even if it does detract your eye away from the rest of the model.. a tricky one that! Good luck with your graduation dude, if you are in need of any advice feel free to PM me :)

@Brygelsmack: Ahaha damn, its worth it though, those cobwebs work great! Im not sure if the video is available online, but at the least ill see if I cant get hold of the breakdown and post it up.

s620ex1: Thanks for the feedback dude! I did a little extra work on the power cable, It isnt really the focus of the asset so I didn't really deem it much of a priority! (see above for updates) in the final diner shot Im pretty sure you wont actually see the cable but hey, make it nice or make it twice! Really appreciate the kind words, helps keep me motivated!

Thats all folks, gnight :D
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Looks like a good start!

I think the composition needs to be looked at a bit more. I imagined this being the interior of the diner, more so, showing perhaps the corner of a diner with the bar in shot too, perhaps. Really going crazy with the detail on the table and getting some nice scuffed up leather seats.

Keep it up though!
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Looking very cool man! I think a common trend in old school and retro diners like this is to put up some photographs on the wall, usually showing celebrities & bands who might have visited the diner or older photographs of the surrounding area or building itself. Whatever the photograph or artwork's subject, these frames could look good on the wall and tilting them on the wall will add to the destructive feel.

This picture should explain what I mean.
    American Diner

Looking forward to your next update! (will hopefully catch you in hangouts before that :D )
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like an awesome start! I feel like the stools on the right are a little too close to each other at the moment though and could be moved apart a bit more. Can't wait to see more.
  • underfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    underfox polycounter lvl 7
    Yea i totaly agree wit PaulP. There is a restaurant near where I live with the 50's theme. it's called " memphis dinner " it's located in N
  • digitaldavinci
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont know exactly I would say probably about 10 seperate textures ranging from 256 to 1024. I split assets up as I would do at work, rather than just putting everything onto the same texture

Just a question...what do you mean "I split assets up as I would do at work". My method for interior/small spaces at work is to break the scene up by material. IE: Wood on 1 sheet, metal, and so on. That way I keep it consistent. Then I go to the 1 to 1 textures.

Is that similar to what you do?

Cheers
  • digitaldavinci
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IMO, the composition is lacking. The shot is too straight on. I feel perhaps looking down the torn end of the diner, and getting a long narrow view may be a bit more dramatic. Just a suggestion.

Something like this angle, but pulled back to show the exterior/destruction as well

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7230/7077958367_c8f2dcb5b2.jpg
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    The Stately Home diorama looks really nice. Do you do any post work on your shots? In that case, what's your process?
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updatez!

Some more progress on the diner scene over the last week or so. I have been putting together the interior, baking out all of the modular, tiling textures for the walls floors and ceilings, and generally greyboxing in the rest of the scene. There's still a way to go to get everything properly locked down, but im making steady progress making the biggest hitters first and will hopefully be able to whittle these down to the smaller details towards the end of the project.

dinerwip_3.jpg

- Replies!

PogoP - Cheers for the feedback man, I did start out that way, but it was very "safe" and I wanted to push the overall vision for the diorama. I felt that the exterior of a diner is as, if not more important for the overall concept than the interior so I figured taking on both at the same time would yield better results.

PaulP - Yeah 100% agree man, ive got alot of plans for the set dressing of the interior, tonnes of americana etc, im excited.. :D

underfox - Ahh dude, that's awesome! Just the feeling im trying to achieve. At the moment I have been following references for the floor that aren't tiled (in order to differentiate this from the diorama I created before!) however I think as you said, those checked tiled floors are much more typical of a diner. I will give it a shot.

digitaldavinci- I tend to split assets up to maximize their reuse, rather than making them for this shot and this shot only. In a production pipeline we typically will make a asset as a stand-alone texture rather than splitting it away into a separate model, this is so that if in future the asset is to be used in another environment you're only loading in the texture space required for that particular asset. I definitely avoid merge assets together unless there is some degree of certainty that they're going to be used in the same place always.

- Brygelsmack - Thanks man! Yeah I do a little, some grunge here and there and some lighting correction at the end. Then drop a sharpen filter onto it and adjust the overall palette slightly. Nothing too major, but you might as-well polish it given the opportunity eh?
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Looks awesome so far man! Keep it up. Is that a UFO I see up there? :D
  • JamesMeader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
    The only thing I've noticed is the green light at the top looks bit like a flying saucer, unless that's what its suppose to be?

Other than that its ace!
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    Scott,

What's your secret to getting such clean crisp bakes from ZBrush?
    (sorry if this has already been asked, there's a lot of chatter on this thread, just point me to it if it has)