Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Near future power suit

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
dropkick287 polycounter lvl 10
Hey all. This is my first thread and one of my first concept paintings ever. I have painted textures and such in Photoshop, but nothing like this. So any tips on design or painting skill would be very appreciated.

The suit is powered by fuel cell technology. Clean power that can be stored for a short period of time. So that means refilling a lot.

This project is ment to grow my portfolio and further learn about the concept to 3D phase.

I will be modeling this character in Maya, then Zbrush for surface detailing. Looking for some help as I go through the process. Considering this is my very first character I am creating in 3D.
3urt.png

Replies

• ShelleyR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm really looking forward to seeing you go through the process of creating this character. I too am currently working on my first sci-fi armor/suit type character , but it isn't nearly as ambitious as yours. It will be interesting to see someone tackling the challenges of this subject matter step by step. Please post lots of WIPs! :)

The painting/concept is very detailed and seems pretty well developed. I love the look of the weapon,especially the rhythm of the rectilinear shapes, but I question the practicability of having hanging wires by the hilt. I would be very concerned about accidentally catching those wires on something.
    The feet look very cool, but I'm not convinced that they would move sensibly like a human foot.
    Nice work designing the armor to follow major anatomical structures, especially in the arms.

I recommend trying to get a few more areas in the armor that are not too heavy on the high frequency detail. These kinds of articulated armor suits are very cool and obviously require many many parts and segments, but visually can become uninteresting or overwhelming if the balance between plain large areas and finely detailed complicated areas is not maintained. Right now the eye tends to rest on the thighs because that is the biggest area of low-frequency details, but it would be nice if the upper chest or head had an area where the eye tends to rest too.

I'm excited to seeing more. :)
  • dropkick287
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks ShelleyR, for your feedback. I very much appreciate it.

I agree with you on the wires hanging from the hilt on the sword. So I will have to revise that when I model. Almost every time I start a concept sketch, the model usually looks so much different than the initial concept. I tend to get better design ideas when I model.

And as far as the feet. Like I said before, this is one of my first paintings in Photoshop. So I still am not that good with developing my ideas on paper. I simply have not built up the skill yet. I am much more comfortable in Maya. I will take the functionality into consideration and make sure it works.

I also agree with you on the eyes resting on the thighs. I am thinking about getting rid of some detail all around the suit as opposed to adding detail on the thighs. I fell that It will start to look too busy and not properly flow.

That said, I do want to thank you again for your input and hope I can post as many WIP's as possible. I also would very much like to see your progress on your sci-fi armor suit. It would be great to see your workflow.
  • dropkick287
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So the high poly version of the helmet is 95% done. Just have a few more details to add and subtract. The rest of the body is just a block out. After blocking the rest out, I will then begin to detail each part.

I just wanted to show my WIP on this helmet. Any suggestions?

dyo3.png
    uncu.png
    zli3.png

I had a lot of trouble on getting the right shape of his helmet/head. At first it was really bubbly and cartoony looking. I do hope I captured a cool, badass, and mean looking but friendly vibe.
  • dropkick287
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more progress.
    54ac.png
  • dropkick287
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost done with the high poly on this guy. Then going to start the weapons modeling.
    2ya3.png
    k6pc.png
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Looking fancy, but you need to think about visual noise. While detail is good, its not a no brainer. More detail =/= better.
    In composition or anything you look at in 2D, the eye needs space to not be drawn on to.
    You want to give a point of attention (characters always have torso and head as attention point, so easy here) and put most detail there.
    In a 3D game environment, the same applies kind of, but even more, aliasing makes your live even worse. Small detail is only becoming visual noise on distance and on low resolution mesh / screen / texture. And then aliasing is coming to kill it finally, making small things a shimmering mess.

Aside that, the head looks a lot like a bug to me, not sure if thats your intention, and the feet cannot be human : P I like the mechanical vibe with the shock absorbers and such , but I have an issue with the head, it just doesn't really convey the same thing. You have some important things different from your concept, like the nose, the direction (and form!) of those things that look like tiny bear ears, and the shape of the eyes + the mouth area
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Too much visual noise if you ask me. So many small parts and no hierarchy. I'd simplify those armor plates into fewer pieces which would make the key details (hoses etc) stand out more.
    I can also see a lot of practical issues. Have you compared with a human model? I can't see how that guy would bend his arms or torso, thighs would have a lot of issues as well. You need to free up some armor space for the joints. The plates just can't cover everything while sitting so tight to the body. He's still got that suit underneath which would probably be able to take some abuse, thinking some futuristic Kevlar or something.
    Alternatively if you want a lot of plating I suggest looking at medieval armor. Lots of interesting stuff to be found there.
  • dropkick287
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update. Just lambert materials on a mental ray render and some things painted over in Photoshop. This is the high poly cinematic version.

bv5.png
    5gdb.png
    pmdl.png
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The modeling is sound, but it feels like it'd be more successful if you followed your original concept more closely... it feels like a detail overload right now and stuff just gets lost. Design wise, looking at your concept and your latest model, the concept is more visually pleasing. Shapes are easier to make out, and they make more sense functionally as well. I would also shorten the height of the eye pieces.
  • dropkick287
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick paint over in Photoshop. I am trying to get rid of some detail like you all said. Before I go in and actually start messing with the geo I wanted to explore ways of getting rid of detail.

Thank you all for all the feedback. I very much appreciate the time you all toke to give it to me straight. I do very much agree that this guy is way to detailed. But through the modeling process I kept thinking that I should make this as realistic and detailed as I possibly can. From what you all have said and the research I have put in, I know now the better ways of doing that.

Thanks again for the feedback. I am still very much in the learning phase.
    vw73.png
  • dropkick287
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New update on this guy. Still plan on working on what you all have said about getting rid of detail and simplifying this more. I will tackle all of these issues when I have time. Would love to get some more feedback on this before I go in and tare it apart.
    8wg8.png
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure how this would read in a game but this is looking pretty cool so far. Excellent modeling skills.
  • dropkick287
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the high poly sword. I still would like to make the other knife/dagger. Will do that before I start the low poly process.

I modeled the sword and character super detailed because that is the style I was going for, and its meant for a short cinematic. So I wanted the most possible detail to show realism. The game mesh will be much simpler as all of you suggested. I also am familiar with K.I.S.S. I just really wanted to pull of this detailed style for the short film.

vtzj.png
    rrpe.png
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    That looks badass but i would be happy if you added more spec to your HP render. Just saying:)
    You could really present this better overall, it's really fucking cool but it looks so flat.
  • dropkick287
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme- Thank you for the kind words. I completely agree with you on the spec. I have tried and tried different default materials in Maya and cant make it look right. I admit I am not good at rendering my HP models. Its very frustrating for me considering I am mostly a hard surface modeler. I can show a render with more spec so you can see what I mean. And thanks again for your feedback.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    AlexCatMasterSupreme- Thank you for the kind words. I completely agree with you on the spec. I have tried and tried different default materials in Maya and cant make it look right. I admit I am not good at rendering my HP models. Its very frustrating for me considering I am mostly a hard surface modeler. I can show a render with more spec so you can see what I mean. And thanks again for your feedback.

KEYSHOT:D http://keyshot.com/
  • dropkick287
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme- Haha, Yes, I am very familiar with Keyshot. I also am very familiar with the price of Keyshot. Which is not cheap by any means. Very much wish I had it. So I am left with good old default materials. But thanks for letting me know. Really appreciate you taking the time.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Could try a cgfx shader like this http://blog.leocov.com/2010/07/lcubershader14cgfx-maya-realtime-shader.html

That can use cubemaps for the spec
  • dropkick287
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy - Thanks a bunch for that. I checked it out and will definitely try it. Huge help.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    as the execution is top notch iv gotta say that the design is VERY busy, there are no places shapewise where the eyes can rest, its way too noisy and there isnt any focus on the character , like you tried to have as little space as possible for "breathing" , its ok to leave areas with only the baseshapes :) the sword looks kickass, but i thought it was a spaceship at first . Less noise, more focus on beautifully modeled shapes ! Keep at it !