Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3d Fan Art Challenge - Sagat

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
polaroid29 polycounter lvl 6
Hi Polycounters!

I'm just throwing up a WIP thread here of a character (or two) I'm doing for a Fighting Game Characters challenge going on. I'm starting the thread a little late into my progress, but I hope I can get some good feedback or critiques on what can be improved here. Hopefully I can use this challenge as an excuse to better my character sculpting skills.

The contest just requires a beauty render, but I'm hoping to take the character further after that and make it game-ready once the contest is all done, so I'll be keeping it open for that.

Here is my high-poly WIP of the King, Sagat, from Street Fighter!

F29hWko.jpg

Replies

• shinobix
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    its a good start. Couple things jumped out at me almost immediately though... 1: The wrinkles on his shorts really accentuate the attention to his manparts... you might want to adjust the wrinkle flow a little so that the eye isn't drawn to that area as much. 2: He's really bow legged. His calf muscles are massive compared to his thighs, it just looks wrong. I'd thin out the knee area, add more girth to his thighs and tone down the calfs.
  • polaroid29
    Offline / Send Message
    @shinobix thank you for the comment! I absolutely see what you mean now. I'm having a hard time sculpting the proper folds for the muay thai trunks. I just need to practice more :)

I have also added more girth to the thighs, and filled them out a little more. I'm not quite satisfied with the face yet either, so I'll work at it.
  • polaroid29
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is an update. I decided to add some girth to his thighs like shinobix mentioned, and also focused on the anatomy a little more, paying attention to the insertion points from his torso to the arm. Hoping for more helpful crits :) thanks for looking.

e2q85LS.jpg
  • polaroid29
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigger update. Totally redid the cloth folds on his shorts, and did a texture pass. My texturing skills aren't great, so hopefully I can get some critique and help!

jYJ6CCP.jpg
    GaYsi8C.jpg
  • polaroid29
    Offline / Send Message
    So for the challenge, I decided to add a second character to the scene. It'll be a diorama of Ryu dragon punching Sagat, or Sagat tiger kneeing Ryu. I think I'm going to do all of the cloth work once he is actually posed, since the folds would be totally different. I'm not really happy with the face yet I guess, would love to hear some critique.

VJHXiFD.jpg