Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Multiplayer Game Concept

So I've got an idea for a multiplayer video game. I'm also a student of CalArts' Character Animation program. This means that every year I have to create a short film, my only requirements being time. For this year, I plan to use my film as a platform to show off the aforementioned game idea.

First up comes the concept art, which I have been diligently working on of late.

Just over a month ago I finished a simple character as a style test, just to see where I could go visually:
newt_render_2_by_xelioth-d64gnkf.jpg

Now that I know where I'm aiming, I'm going to take a shot with the rest of these bits of concept, get everything modelled, textured, and then rigged:
2md2w0g.jpg

And some weapon concepts I'll be modelling as well, though I probably won't use all of these.
Gun_Concepts_small.jpg

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Good solid style I think. Looks like you're taking cues from http://www.awesomenauts.com/, or at least, that's what the art right now is reminding me of.

Though, are you going about presenting your game idea as a playable prototype in an engine like Unity3D or doing a trailer/mock playthrough like Planetary Annihilation?
  • Xelioth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good solid style I think. Looks like you're taking cues from http://www.awesomenauts.com/, or at least, that's what the art right now is reminding me of.

Though, are you going about presenting your game idea as a playable prototype in an engine like Unity3D or doing a trailer/mock playthrough like Planetary Annihilation?
    The requirements for CalArts is that I make a short film, so I'm planning to go the route of a trailer/mock playthrough. I'm thinking something akin to the Meet the ________ videos where you'll see the gameplay, but ultimately it will be a cinematic experience.

That being said, I would like to look into making it in Unity, as they did with the Butterfly Effect short film:

https://vimeo.com/48952914

But I'll have to do some research on the process behind that. I'm also considering a class to learn Unity.

edit: As to Awesomenauts? Not so much. I don't really know much about the game (although I do own it thanks to the latest Humble Bundle, so I should remedy that). The style is based somewhere between Ratchet and Clank, Team Fortress, and Tex Avery.
  • Xelioth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick blocking in for the Orc character, but I have a question before I continue:

What do I want my polycount to look like for a PC game in Unity? I've looked up TF2 and it seems that under 10k is a good restriction, is that the case?

2a7fzw3.jpg
  • Xelioth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bit of work in progress, blocked in the color and added some preliminary shading.

mmzho6.jpg
  • Xelioth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bout as far as I seem to be able to take this, but I'm still not happy with it.... I just don't know what else to do with him....

2isi8pe.jpg
  • Xelioth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After much experimentation, I've landed on a final look for my characters, and finished them all up. Next step will be to rig them all.

Render_Dwarf.png

Render_Elf.png

Render_Goblin.png

Render_Orc.png

And I changed the newt's colors since in this style it was basically charmander.

Render_Newt2.png
  • Nefarius24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nefarius24 polycounter lvl 6
    Whoa cool stuff man! Can't wait to see how it all turns out! :)
  • Xelioth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nefarius24 wrote: »
    Whoa cool stuff man! Can't wait to see how it all turns out! :)
    WELL TOO BAD YOU'LL HAVE TO WAIT ANYWAY!

lol, thanks, man. It's gunna be a long process, and my friends are already calling me insane. Gunna be a fun ride til April!