Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Noob Challenge 8

Replies

• AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    danshewan wrote: »
    I really like this idea. I realize this kind of a system could get complicated for the organizers, but offering three tiers of involvement could be one way for participants to identify what they think they'll be able to handle, and serve as milestones if they realize they can do more within the time allotted.

I don't get why people can't make that for themselves and organize it themselves.
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uberphoenix polycounter lvl 8
    I don't get why people can't make that for themselves and organize it themselves.

It's easy to say that, but a lot of people don't know how to plan to make an environment scene, as also it comes with learning so much and I think its a bit overwhelming, since most have to learn new things and spend less time making the actual artwork (ie UDK, Zbrush)

I like Vailias's suggestion, we could maybe take a few pieces from a concept and make them and then piece them together to make a mini version of the scene, as that way it builds confidence and gives the ability to work faster next time and then be able to tackle a full environment.

Tier 1 - Prop, Tier 2 - Modular piece (wall, bridge like this months)

Basically, what I'm saying is an environment is something you'd do for your final project at school with like a 3-6 month time frame for it. Example. I'd rather do a prop every 2 weeks and have something finished and be proud of, than having something very undone and not really want to share it with people outside this thread.

(Apologies if I didn't make much sense, I'm just rambling, as I'd like a place where I can learn with a structure alongside like minded people

EDIT - @Alex is this the Adam you meant? Link
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's easy to say that, but a lot of people don't know how to plan to make an environment scene, as also it comes with learning so much and I think its a bit overwhelming, since most have to learn new things and spend less time making the actual artwork (ie UDK, Zbrush)

I like Vailias's suggestion, we could maybe take a few pieces from a concept and make them and then piece them together to make a mini version of the scene, as that way it builds confidence and gives the ability to work faster next time and then be able to tackle a full environment.

Tier 1 - Prop, Tier 2 - Modular piece (wall, bridge like this months)

Basically, what I'm saying is an environment is something you'd do for your final project at school with like a 3-6 month time frame for it. Example. I'd rather do a prop every 2 weeks and have something finished and be proud of, than having something very undone and not really want to share it with people outside this thread.

(Apologies if I didn't make much sense, I'm just rambling, as I'd like a place where I can learn with a structure alongside like minded people

EDIT - @Alex is this the Adam you meant? Link

Yes he is. Then why not have those people do the hard surface or prop challenge I am proposing until they think they can tackle an environment?

And as far as not finishing things then what about making it a two month per concept challenge.
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd like to do the hard surface/prop challenge, but if you want to do a side by side thing that's fine :)

I think only good things can come from asking Adam for help with making a more structured challenge.

Looking forward to it!
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Then why not have those people do the hard surface or prop challenge I am proposing until they think they can tackle an environment?

And as far as not finishing things then what about making it a two month per concept challenge.

I think either approach would work. Set two goals - one hard surface / prop challenge, the other an actual environment, and people can choose whichever project they feel they can handle in the time specified.

Two months for an environment would certainly be more realistic for very, very inexperienced beginners and those of us with less time, but you're right, sustaining interest and participation would be more of a challenge than it is for a one-month challenge.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd like to do the hard surface/prop challenge, but if you want to do a side by side thing that's fine :)

I think only good things can come from asking Adam for help with making a more structured challenge.

Looking forward to it!

Well he is the admin of polycount so I don't see why not, he actually expressed interest in it so maybe it will become something more popular. He wants to promote it for sure it sounds like.
    danshewan wrote: »
    I think either approach would work. Set two goals - one hard surface / prop challenge, the other an actual environment, and people can choose whichever project they feel they can handle in the time specified.

Two months for an environment would certainly be more realistic for very, very inexperienced beginners and those of us with less time, but you're right, sustaining interest and participation would be more of a challenge than it is for a one-month challenge.

Thanks for someone telling me what they think about that idea, the more voices I hear in favor or against this the better.
  • Baron Flame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baron Flame polycounter lvl 12
    Vailias wrote: »
    Suggestion:
    Why not keep it monthly, but make it a Tiered challenge.

Like for this one say: Tier 1: model just a barricade or wall piece.
    Tier 2: Tier 1 plus the checkpoint.
    Tier 3: The whole scene.

So that way its open to a wider range of noob and people can still have a sense of progression and accomplishment, while still pushing themselves to complete a larger piece of work than they have previously done?

+1
    I mean getting 2 months per challenge because I see a lot of people working on stuff for two+ months.
    My only worry is people would get bored.

Understandable. People do generally have a short attention span but might I suggest having the two related to each other.
    Having an environment challenge every 2 months is a bit more realistic like the others have pointed out, but in doing so you could have a bit more diverse range of themes; instead of covering 12 different themes in rotation a year, which can get tedious to look for as is, you could cover 6 themes over a course of 6 months so that when a theme is repeated, it won't feel done to death(Insert everyone's beloved sci-fi corridor/scene reference).
    Also, having the asset challenges related to the main environment challenge will allow the participants to utilize the asset in the environment thereby reducing the overall load of the environment challenge.
    Example : A 2 month(6 weeks) steampunk themed environment challenge running along side 2 to 3 week asset challenges which are of the same theme.

Just a thought. :)
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I say yes to your idea Alex, have a prop/w/e challenge alongside the environment challenge, that way people can choose what they feel comfortable with.

@Baron the same thing really
  • Baron Flame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Baron the same thing really

*Facepalm*
    xD
    I guess I didn't read all the way through. I had to rush out to get chicken.
    Got myself 25 kilos of chicken breasts on sale. I am good for the next month here. xD
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *Facepalm*
    xD
    I guess I didn't read all the way through. I had to rush out to get chicken.
    Got myself 25 kilos of chicken breasts on sale. I am good for the next month here. xD
    NOT ENOUGH CHICKEN!
  • Baron Flame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NOT ENOUGH CHICKEN!

Never is!!

There was limit on the damn thing, I'll be going back tomorrow for a bit more. xD
  • Flumpinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flumpinator polycounter lvl 10
    hey all, I'm starting to get stuff into cryengine but I was wondering if anyone could help me with it?
    Just seems like the shadows are a bit off and also the lighting changes when I scroll closer and further away, not sure whether there are some settings tied to distance?
    I hope my screenshots are clear enough, it's like the meshes aren't being shadowed on the sides facing away from the light; any help or enlightenment is appreciated :)

9094019977_813e177737_b.jpg
    lighting_help by Flumpinator., on Flickr
  • Kitty|Owl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitty|Owl polycounter lvl 3
    that is the GI by the looks of it
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Never is!!

There was limit on the damn thing, I'll be going back tomorrow for a bit more. xD

Safeway spicy chicken is the best.

Well guys I'm going to be gone for a few days so I'm going to leave you guys a concept thread for next month. If there are any changes to challenge structure it will be after next month.

There may be a prop challenge next month as well, this has yet to be determined.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1864851#post1864851
  • Vendetti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vendetti polycounter lvl 10
  • Kazperstan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kazperstan greentooth
    The tier option could work, the Art Jam stuff just moved over to a tier sort of system and seems to be working quite well.
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kazperstan wrote: »
    The tier option could work, the Art Jam stuff just moved over to a tier sort of system and seems to be working quite well.

Can you link where you saw it? I can't seem to find it
  • Kazperstan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kazperstan greentooth
    Can you link where you saw it? I can't seem to find it

sure thang - http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116111

also Updatery:
    tmz74zU.jpg
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cmtanko polycounter lvl 10
    Kazperstan : Looks simple yet elegant , but looks too much desaturated ?
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I have been making progress on my piece!

In my second picture you can see three different types of the wall section and the road block section. Each set of three is actually using one unique UV texture (normal, AO, diffuse), only thing that makes each different is that im able to UV paint a grudge layer over the diffuse to give every piece a different look. This way I break up repetition in the textures, which in turns helps me save time and resources that would be lost if I had made unique textures to break up the repetition.

o0mv450.jpg

b4cRVg2.jpg
  • Kazperstan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kazperstan greentooth
    cmtanko wrote: »
    Kazperstan : Looks simple yet elegant , but looks too much desaturated ?

Hey thanks, Saturation was the post, I've upped the saturation a bit and fixed up some issues with the vertex paint, decal'd up the walls as well :D
    Still a lot to do but i think ill start getting the rubbish and background stuff in now

35SEJ3j.jpg
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Looking REAL nice, guys.

The reflections in the pools of water need some work, but coming along nicely. Personally, I think the dark, stormy clouds look much better than the bright sky, but it still looks pretty good.

Can't wait to see how these turn out.
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joshschmitt polycounter lvl 11
    tkfxity wrote: »
    So I have been making progress on my piece!

In my second picture you can see three different types of the wall section and the road block section. Each set of three is actually using one unique UV texture (normal, AO, diffuse), only thing that makes each different is that im able to UV paint a grudge layer over the diffuse to give every piece a different look. This way I break up repetition in the textures, which in turns helps me save time and resources that would be lost if I had made unique textures to break up the repetition.

Sometimes having unique textures is good for you. I feel like the wall and barrier has too much white on it thus making it unrealistic. You should try sculpting, adding some damage and detail, you could also paint over it to break repetition.

Edit: Also, it looks really elongated and small. Make it wider and shorter with unique uvws and I think youd have something good there.
  • Kazperstan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kazperstan greentooth
    a good way for breaking up repetition of modular stuff in udk is demonstrated here by a good friend of mine :D its quite handy and after the set up require little effort:

(skip to 4mins in for a demo.)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBrolC-GrmI"]Caelus - The Descent: Easthaven Houses Breakdown - YouTube[/ame]
  • Broken_Lawnmower
    Hey guys! I realize that I haven't been updating in here nearly as much as I should be (and I apologize!!!). This screenshot is where I'm at right now. I'm not pleased at all with it currently, although pretty much everything - especially textures - are in quick blockout/early phases, not to mention the lack of any smaller details/decals/pp effects, so that maybe should be expected. Regardless, this is (hopefully) not very indicative of where it'll be when it's done (in 8 days! :poly142:).

Wip_03.png
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! I realize that I haven't been updating in here nearly as much as I should be (and I apologize!!!). This screenshot is where I'm at right now. I'm not pleased at all with it currently, although pretty much everything - especially textures - are in quick blockout/early phases, not to mention the lack of any smaller details/decals/pp effects, so that maybe should be expected. Regardless, this is (hopefully) not very indicative of where it'll be when it's done (in 8 days! :poly142:).

I know your textures are not final, but what I noticed is that there is no color variation in the scene, just a grey world with little bit of orange. You should add more variation.
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know your textures are not final, but what I noticed is that there is no color variation in the scene, just a grey world with little bit of orange. You should add more variation.

What Josh said, my first impression when I saw your picture was, I wasn't sure where my eyes wanted to focus on, it seems like your scene is washed out by a grey tone. Sort of looks like

Maybe up the saturation and like josh said, add color variations.
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    Sorry to come back on the new challenge thingy,

What about making a prob challenge that makes a whole Env in the end. So we choose an Env, create prob's from it every 2 weeks 8 weeks long. then in the end we make the whole env for maybe for an other 2 weeks. In this way you get familiar with the env and stuff.

hope that made sense
    sorry for the English

have a nice day
  • Baron Flame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What Josh said, my first impression when I saw your picture was, I wasn't sure where my eyes wanted to focus on, it seems like your scene is washed out by a grey tone. Sort of looks like

Maybe up the saturation and like josh said, add color variations.

+1
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    do you think its too late to join? I will try and join the next one though... might just try some really focused work on one of the elements in the scene.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Bertmac wrote: »
    Sorry to come back on the new challenge thingy,

What about making a prob challenge that makes a whole Env in the end. So we choose an Env, create prob's from it every 2 weeks 8 weeks long. then in the end we make the whole env for maybe for an other 2 weeks. In this way you get familiar with the env and stuff.

hope that made sense
    sorry for the English

have a nice day

+2
  • uberphoenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum wrote: »
    do you think its too late to join? I will try and join the next one though... might just try some really focused work on one of the elements in the scene.

There's a link a few pages back for the next one, where you can vote on the concept you would like to do :)
  • Broken_Lawnmower
    joshschmitt, tkfxity, Baron Flame: Yeah I think you guys are definitely right about that, the lack of colour was one of the big things for me that I wasn't too pleased about. I've started taking measures to improve the textures that are already there, and the introduction of all the smaller debris/trash meshes and decals should help alleviate that as well (not to mention help emphasize the focal point).
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sometimes having unique textures is good for you. I feel like the wall and barrier has too much white on it thus making it unrealistic. You should try sculpting, adding some damage and detail, you could also paint over it to break repetition.

Edit: Also, it looks really elongated and small. Make it wider and shorter with unique uvws and I think youd have something good there.

Took your advice and added a second set of uniqe textures for the wall and the road blocks. Also made the road blocks wider and a tad bit shorter. I had zBrush sculpted the road blocks, however the AO and the normals were not showing up, so I went ahead and made those stronger.

je8R7OL.jpg
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Took your advice and added a second set of uniqe textures for the wall and the road blocks. Also made the road blocks wider and a tad bit shorter. I had zBrush sculpted the road blocks, however the AO and the normals were not showing up, so I went ahead and made those stronger.

Looks a lot better, I am however confused as to what exactly that is on the left side of the fence is, maybe a tarp? you should make it stand out more, you could also add to the scene. So maybe you could put a light there to show off that its a tarp cause its confusing right now.

Another thing is the doorway cloth seems too clear, maybe adding mud on the bottom or some grunge would help with that.

The holes on the walls dont seem realistic enough, just looks odd and out of place.

Edit: Also you should try removing some of that thick orange line on your barriers, its just straight and there is no damage or wear and tear. Erase some of the line to get the extra effect of a damage to them.
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks a lot better, I am however confused as to what exactly that is on the left side of the fence is, maybe a tarp? you should make it stand out more, you could also add to the scene. So maybe you could put a light there to show off that its a tarp cause its confusing right now.

Another thing is the doorway cloth seems too clear, maybe adding mud on the bottom or some grunge would help with that.

The holes on the walls dont seem realistic enough, just looks odd and out of place.

Edit: Also you should try removing some of that thick orange line on your barriers, its just straight and there is no damage or wear and tear. Erase some of the line to get the extra effect of a damage to them.

1. Tarp is actually a camo netting covering some boxes, I decided to go with a military camo net rather then an actual tarp. I added a small light so that area is a bit more brighter.

2. Made the doorway cloth less transparent and made the grudge layer darker.

3. Made the AO for the walls darker so the holes dont look like they match the rest of the wall.

4. Made the barriers orange line not have such a clean line, seems that the barrier manufacturer does not have laser guided painting robots.

Thanks for the helpful critique!

EDIT: zz9BjkL.jpg
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1. Tarp is actually a camo netting covering some boxes, I decided to go with a military camo net rather then an actual tarp. I added a small light so that area is a bit more brighter.

2. Made the doorway cloth less transparent and made the grudge layer darker.

3. Made the AO for the walls darker so the holes dont look like they match the rest of the wall.

4. Made the barriers orange line not have such a clean line, seems that the barrier manufacturer does not have laser guided painting robots.

Thanks for the helpful critique!

Looks much better, not sure what else I could comment on. You could mess with the lighting to get a darker feeling but it looks good to me currently.
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks much better, not sure what else I could comment on. You could mess with the lighting to get a darker feeling but it looks good to me currently.

My lighting and my skybox are not yet done, ill be tweaking with those after my scene is done to set the mood in.
  • IvanMartinez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IvanMartinez polycounter lvl 7
    Hi,
    Posting more WIP images of the scene.

wip_03.jpg

wip_04.jpg
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Current WIP! Please critique anything you see that is weird!

Also I would like to note that I realized that my normal Y axis was inverted so I had some funky looking normals on my walls and road blocks, but now they look just like how they are suppose to look via zBrush sculpt.

EDIT: Sky and lighting are not yet final!

toE34IO.jpg

ezR2Wx0.jpg
  • Kazperstan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kazperstan greentooth
    Nuther update:
    3HCNmYr.jpg

going to have a fight with the curtain shader more and fill out the back section to.
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
    Has anyone found where this concept was used in the game?
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It feels like there are only 4 people doing this challenge! Here is some more WIP shots. Decided to swerve off the concepts path and go with a forest scene rather then a city scene.

54IRvwh.jpg

T7D76JC.jpg

kXueU8s.jpg
  • Broken_Lawnmower
    Wow tkfxity, I love that forest idea. It's looking great! Although, I feel like something is off about about your textures on the outer walls. I'm not sure if it's the normal map or the size of those circular indents, but they seem kind of cartoony to me. Actually maybe its because they're juxtaposed against all the subtle, realistic detail you have in the trees behind them. Or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, here's an update! I threw in a quick ppchain to see how it would look. Now I know what you're thinking, "But you said you weren't going to use any post process effects!" Well, if you go back and read my posts you'll see that I never actually said that. I also never said that I don't have a bunch of stuff still left to add, because that would be a lie. My philosophy regarding the rest of this project (but also my everyday life) is this: More saturation! More graffiti! More garbage!

Wip_04.png
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, let's all have a meeting and talk about the future of the challenges and what ideas you guys have for them in the future.

I will be in this google hangout from 9:30pst-11pst tonight. Then tomorrow from 5-10PST.

Please join up and help me make a list so I can see what we can do to make this awesome!

https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/2a16ae9a66e2afd6d0ca841500008327db7792d9?authuser=0&hl=en-GB

Please PLEASE join at the specified times, I want your feedback!
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i'm trying to decide on how I want my scene to be mood wise. What do you guys think judging from these three pictures?

First one is how it is now, second is a sunset/dark mood, third is bright and colorful. Pick the on you like!

54IRvwh.jpg
    jsHAMiM.jpg
    yjlZMJi.jpg
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @tkfxity

Def the second one, but your lights needs to be build!!!!

But I think a sunset setting would be the best pick.
  • tkfxity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @tkfxity

Def the second one, but your lights needs to be build!!!!

But I think a sunset setting would be the best pick.

Everything is built, I just added some grass near the outside of the compoud so its popping that message. Everything on the screenshots is built lighting. Also I like the second one as well :P
  • Broken_Lawnmower
    tkfxity: I second the second.
  • joshschmitt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @tkfxity

How did you make the cloth or plastic transparent like that? Im trying to figure that one out myself.