Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Science Fiction Doorway

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
dtschultz polycounter lvl 12
I should start a thread for this piece. I've just been putting stuff in WAYWO, but as I assemble these pieces together I'd like a home for them.

I want to make a large doorway with a central shaft element that the doors close around. I also want to add some generators and at least part of the hallway.

Here's the initial high poly for the individual hatch door.

ijT4U09.png

I just put them together to show how they will look together.

DTqkiDq.jpg

Here's the low poly door piece. I used the hell out of dDo (love that tool), rendered in Marmoset.

5r34m0H.jpg

Replies

• chazzur
    Low poly looks really good. Can we see a wireframe?
  • theSixtyEight
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    thats some nice scifi pizza slice you got there! haha
    btw what is polycount for all pieces together?
  • dtschultz
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks yo! Oh yeah, I'll throw up a wireframe shot tonight. The polycount for the low poly is about 25k tris. For the high poly it was some ridiculous amount of polys (because I used a turbosmooth with smoothing groups at a couple of iterations - which really pushes your polycount up). I can't remember how many, but I was surprised I was able to render it out. I wouldn't have been able to do so a few years back.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Love the first render. Where's that rendered in?

The low poly could use some value separation. Everything is near similar grey values. It would be nice to have the hinges darker, bolts brighter, etc.
  • dtschultz
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the first render. Where's that rendered in?

The low poly could use some value separation. Everything is near similar grey values. It would be nice to have the hinges darker, bolts brighter, etc.

Thanks, Jeff! Yep, that's a good point. I had a little more contrast earlier, and I thought that was what was bothering me so I dialed it back a bit. I think it was actually the overly harsh edge wear I got from the initial dDo pass, and I over-compensated. I'll play around with that a bit more.

That first render I made with 3ds Max and Mental Ray.
  • dtschultz
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the wireframe I promised. I realized last night (and I'm pretty sure I am right on this) that although dDo lets you work at half res it can't convert anything you put in the custom layers slots back up to full res. It makes complete sense, since that stuff I manually painted in, but still wish I had known that before I converted to a working res at the beginning of the project.

FSdmPvM.jpg
  • dtschultz
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure if I am really going to unify these things into a scene. Between starting a new job and the near birth of my son, but here are these generators I had planned to place on the side of the tunnel leading into these doors. I'm still not sure about a few things in my design here. I'm basing it on a real object, but I am trying to make it a little bit more sci fi at the same time. There are a few elements that I might need to move around for composition, etc. Let me know what you think.

As of right now, I've only taken the middle collar section into Zbrush to boolean some of the pieces and add in some welding scuzz. More to come!

4sOMUWW.jpg
  • switz
    Offline / Send Message
    switz polycounter lvl 10
    ^ Nice model! All from scratch or do you have a bashkit you'd like to share? :]
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    low the slight color change from material to material, its so faint but awesome
  • shinobix
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    dtschultz... That is some fantastic work you've got goin on! You've sold me on dDo... must give it a try! What else are you planning to go along with that door?
  • dtschultz
    Offline / Send Message
    switz: Thanks! Hah. Most of it is from scratch. I do have screws and different bolts, although I remade/reworked a couple of my old ones from Max, because I wanted to change they way they were smoothing in Modo. Pixar subdivisions and edge weighting is really cool for this kind of stuff. Much more enjoyable imo.

skyline5gtr: Thanks! It's just a simple area light with one of Modo's default studio environments.

Shinobix: Thanks! I'm not sure. I have this central piece that is like a shaft that the door seals around, and I've made some other pieces that form the frame around the outer ring, but I just haven't finalized them. I plan on doing so I just wanted to work on some smaller pieces, since I was working on more just bigger picture environment stuff at work before leaving for my new job.
  • DInusty
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    cool stuff!!!

I really strongly agree with what they have said above about value separation. with all this next gen imaged based lighting talk and physically based materials coming up, this would look especially impressive with material separation.

Like what is this bolt made out of? how does it reflect light back at the viewer? what color would it be in spec and what's the gloss on that given material. sorry im rambling now.

this stuff is awesome and i can't wait to see more!! just remember value or tone separation.

ps love the last image you posted. cool details!