Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    wirrexx wrote: »
    Did not really want to make a new thread. But anybody got great tips where i could find a tutorial for Foliage? I know this one should be simple. But im still learning and i want to see how others do it before implying my own ideas.

Thanks in Advance! :D

I stuck a bunch of stuff here.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/CategoryEnvironmentFoliage

Also I made a high-res tree branch not long ago, to render textures from. Might give you some ideas.
    http://ericchadwick.com/3d.html#tree
  • Sir Apple
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir Apple polycounter lvl 8
    Okay this is really giving me some issues, as complex cylindrical constructions typically do.

Any ideas on how to accurately recreate this revolver cylinder with its shapes and such? Been playing with lots of methods, but can't seem to find a desired result

Any guidance would be awesome! :) I'm specifically talking about the grooves and indentations wrapping around the cylinder.

pnnVsUH.jpg
  • sargentcrunch
  • BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    bcottage wrote: »
    yes indeed i am

Just make that twisted detail separate geo. Make one little section of it, and extrude it along a curve that is in the shape you want.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
  • Sir Apple
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you alex, thats awesome :)
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Sir Apple wrote: »
    Thank you alex, thats awesome :)

;)
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Just to add a bit to what he said, the hardest bit I found on the cylinder i made for my Webley MK VI was the beveled portion on the end. I found it easier to describe both the edges that i could understand.

Here is the part I had trouble with.

W24HsJ.png

So I tried to simplify the borders on either side of that, and then deal with the transition.

uUHsY8.png

cXBsra.png

So I defined the shapes i could understand, Like the planer spot on the front side of the shape(that part that includes the cylinder holes) then i defined the shape at the end of the cylinder before the bevel, cause they were just curved a little bit. Then bridged them together, and ran some loops and make some tweaks.

I'm now realizing this is hard to explain while breaking down the final mesh. If I'm not making any sense here I can redo the process in order of what happened when :D

Edit: which i think I'll do now anyway

Edit: AND, keep in mind, his topology is MUCH better than mine. i had to learn the hard way that you want to keep thing like this as simple as possible. With as even topology as possible to avoid creases or pinches.
  • Sir Apple
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man. I"m not 100% sure I follow how you ended up with a nice rounded bevel though :)
    s620ex1 wrote: »
    Just to add a bit to what he said, the hardest bit I found on the cylinder i made for my Webley MK VI was the beveled portion on the end. I found it easier to describe both the edges that i could understand.

Here is the part I had trouble with.

W24HsJ.png

So I tried to simplify the borders on either side of that, and then deal with the transition.

uUHsY8.png

cXBsra.png

So I defined the shapes i could understand, Like the planer spot on the front side of the shape(that part that includes the cylinder holes) then i defined the shape at the end of the cylinder before the bevel, cause they were just curved a little bit. Then bridged them together, and ran some loops and make some tweaks.

I'm now realizing this is hard to explain while breaking down the final mesh. If I'm not making any sense here I can redo the process in order of what happened when :D

Edit: which i think I'll do now anyway
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah. Going to explain a bit better right now.

Sorry, i don't have time to type out the text between clases here. It goes something like:

Define edge

Extrude

Make planar

Cap

Delete original extrusion

Make the created poly(with the same number of points) the shape you need

bridge

Add loops

Push them out a bit to force a curve

Inset a few times, Then cut whatever holes you need for the chambers.

wpg5EK.gif

And i'll note again, Alex's topology is way better! This would work so much easier with less sides than i have here.

Hope that helps on the end. Sorry i had to rush it so bad :/
  • Sir Apple
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks much appreciated! I will give it a go :)
  • JohnBarnard
    Thank you so much for the advice about the tyres, Vailias!

I used your suggestion and made a much better version of the tyre than any previous attempts. Messed up the pattern a bit, but next time I'll get it for sure ;)

tyreupdate.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks again!
  • another caveman
    Offline / Send Message
    another caveman greentooth
    I'm about to model a CZ 550 (rifle)
    I'm wondering about this part of the normal map right now:
    ZWTLIGf.png

Should I photoshop this part of the normals map, or make it high poly and render the normals?

There're a lot of things I don't know about 3d design, do you guys have a guide/website/book/other to recommend me?
    I'm currently working on 3D Studio Max, am I right? Should I move to Maya/Zbrush/other?

thx
  • Pedro Amorim
    that tyre seems a bit more squareish than it´s supposed too, no?
    bike tyres are round right?
  • another caveman
    Offline / Send Message
    HNqpgWN.png

What's the best way to model this ?
    I think making a single model on a plane, copy/pasting that model and then bend it would be good, thing is: I don't have a clue on how to do this
  • respawnrt
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    Spaggiari wrote: »
    I'm about to model a CZ 550 (rifle)
    I'm wondering about this part of the normal map right now:
    ZWTLIGf.png

Should I photoshop this part of the normals map, or make it high poly and render the normals?

There're a lot of things I don't know about 3d design, do you guys have a guide/website/book/other to recommend me?
    I'm currently working on 3D Studio Max, am I right? Should I move to Maya/Zbrush/other?

thx
    Some info here http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=UHa-h2S-NNY#t=4437s. Although it uses ndo2 you can use what you have for image > normal map and overlay it in photoshop over the baked normal map while removing the blue channel.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Spaggiari wrote: »
    HNqpgWN.png

What's the best way to model this ?
    I think making a single model on a plane, copy/pasting that model and then bend it would be good, thing is: I don't have a clue on how to do this

It's just a matter of selecting every other edge and bevel.
    Just create a cylinder with enough segment and you should be good.
    No need to overhtink things.
  • another caveman
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your answers, both of you!
    This video's gonna learn me a lot of things, thx!
  • another caveman
    Offline / Send Message
    Then there's another problem with this:
    I connected the edges so I could get more of them and bevel what I need to bevel.
    BUT: the fast smooth modifier fucks it all up

lgt80ac.png

Is there another way than what I shew you in the screenshot to fix it?

edit: it looks pretty fine in Zbrush actually, so I guess my Normal map will look good!

cxBVZkr.png

Also, how can I change this colour:

lgt382z.png
    (the blue wireframe when you unwrap UVs)
  • BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Spaggiari, check out page 114. There was a similar shape on there that would be exactly what you needed.
  • Pedro Amorim
    you should have made that a seperate mesh. You know, created a new cylinder with X number of segments.
  • .Wiki
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    I guess thats one mistake that happens most of the people here. Try to create a object with many seperate parts. This may give you more objects but the modelling gets easier.

Think of the scope as a real object. The ring would be turnable, so there is no need to model it as one object.
  • tehrobster2
    Offline / Send Message
    tehrobster2 polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Guys Whats the best way to do the low poly for barbwire ?
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    You might find some ideas from Andy Davies barb-wire baseball bat thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89483
  • ausernottaken
    Hey Guys Whats the best way to do the low poly for barbwire ?
    I'd bake a barbed wire texture onto a plane that tiles directionally, make it into a long chain using an array or something like that and then bend it using path deform.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    found this :) how to make a perfect cube

3aDS0.gif
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
  • TrampledUnderFoot
    Offline / Send Message
    TrampledUnderFoot polycounter lvl 7
    It so simple! I've been doing it so backwards this whole time.
  • Un_dead
    Offline / Send Message
    Un_dead polycounter lvl 11
    http://prntscr.com/18wwam

I'm not sure how to get so many serrations on the cylinder itself, can anyone offer some insight?
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Un_dead wrote: »
    http://prntscr.com/18wwam

I'm not sure how to get so many serrations on the cylinder itself, can anyone offer some insight?
    It's just a matter of selecting every other edge and bevel.
    Just create a cylinder with enough segment and you should be good.
    No need to overhtink things.
  • Pedro Amorim
    I made that aimpoint some time ago, I'll post the wire screenshots when I get home.
    But, yeah, what I said before. Seperate mesh with extra sides lol
  • Pedro Amorim
    decided to show in sketchfab.
    100sides. then it's just a matter of bevel and connects.
    aimpoint.jpg
    [SKETCHFAB]hjhwf8Lo5aIFetllLd9YAgw8YZO[/SKETCHFAB]

aimpoint.jpg
  • Three65
    Offline / Send Message
    Three65 polycounter lvl 6
    Im thinking about trying to tackle modeling a speed boat, i've tried a few times to get the shape of the sponson right but was wondering if maybe there was a easier way to get this shape or perhaps a modifier that may help me. So far I have just used box modeling to create mine. However I would like to see how someone else might go about modeling this.

P.s. if you do not know what a sponson is, they are the two lower parts of the boat that sit in the water.

m41pod1.jpg

m41forklift.jpg

53201854152773588128520.jpg

newm41pic2.jpg
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    r3spawn wrote: »
    So... a dodecahedron in modo? :P

480px-Zeroth_stellation_of_dodecahedron.png

Any ideas? So far all I got is creating a tessellated sphere with 1 subdiv

First you do this:
    [vv]1496428[/vv]

then you do this:

icosahedron_to_dodecahedron.png

1 - icosahedron
    2 - chamfer all vertices
    3 - chamfer all vertices
    4 - remove all polygons except the pentagons
    5 - weld/collapse all the corner/triangle vertices

MAGIC!
  • maximumsproductions
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    I was kinda curious how to make a icosahedron in Max without using geosphere. I tried to transfer the modo tutorial posted above to recreate the same process till they used an operator named.. spikey?!

I'm just genuinely curious how to recreate it. And what "spikey" does :P
  • WarrenM
    Spikey puts a vert in the center of a face and then cuts from it to every other vert. Basically it creates a triangle fan from the center of the poly. I don't think Max has an equivalent ... or if it does, I haven't found it yet.
  • AlecMoody
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    extrude with 0 distance and then collapse the face?
  • WarrenM
    There you go, that sounds like it would work!
  • maximumsproductions
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh thanks, that's kinda neato! :P
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Or use "inset" instead of "extrude".

I like these kind of small, abstract problems to figure out. They force you to think outside the box a bit and rely on you knowing the underlying structures of the software and the theory.

It seems these things would thus also make great exercises for someone who's starting out, or learning a new software package. To get comfortable with various tools in a very small/limited use case.
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    yeah, when i replicated the method you posted i used and inset and weld. Was just as many clicks as an extrude and collapse though. All the same i guess. Now I'm itching for a geometric problem to solve. Someone post something! I think we need a thread just for daily brain teasers. or just speed models....If there isn't already one
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Now I'm itching for a geometric problem to solve. Someone post something! I think we need a thread just for daily brain teasers. or just speed models....If there isn't already one

Soccer ball.

Soccer_ball.svg
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    I was just about to start on an LS1 MSD trottle body. But that works :D

Also, Sorry for such a noob question, But i lost my graphite model tool bar. and all those tabs. How can i retrieve them? thx. ...:poly136:

Ah. Got it. Customize/showui/ribbon. :p

sucp_1104_15_o%2BLS1_carburetor_vs_computer_performance_test%2B90MM_MSD_throttle_body.jpg
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Well, Spent most of the night learning how not to make it. This is where i ended up:

Geo sphere with 1 segment.

Chamfer all verts until tris and pents

Weld

Use select similar always every time every day

delete tris

scale all faces locally

Bridge/cap/remove edges to span the gaps. or user "create" plolies I suppose.

connect all edge with 6 segments

remove the immediate selection of edges after the connect (leaving the verts)

Make a guide sphere

make it just big enough to encapsulate the main mesh.

Ghost it

Select
    Scale
    select
    scale
    select
    scale

Chamfer all edges

Delete pents and hex's

Inset/scale/chamfer to model your profile however you see fit.

Subdivide then scale the guide sphere to fit just inside the main mesh.

Watch all the pros laugh at you for taking 3 hours on a saturday night to model a fucking ball.

VIOLA!

tH01Rp.gif

Hfoy4t.gif

I'm beginning to wonder if it was a serious suggestion....Isn't there a "Create Soccer ball" in maya? In any case. I'm proud of it :D Should drop it in zbrush and make the threads and junk. Make the nextgenest soccer ball anyone ever done seen.
  • maximumsproductions
    Offline / Send Message
    So, I've been trying to inch my self back into sub-d modeling again and one of the things I've been doing is just going through this thread trying to experiment with the situations etc.

And I found this helmet that I wanted to practice on

1634.jpg
    28m7ls.jpg
    2li7iwg.jpg

I tried a few methods for a while and the best that I've found for myself was to start from a quadrified cube. Now I feel like that it's extremely hard to keep the same roundness while matching the shape and simultaneously with the lack of geo I think it's inevitable in my method to make this without pinching when it comes to sub dividing.

So I was wondering where people would start off with on this model such as a plane and then bending? I guess I need to continue to tackle this model but I feel like almost anywhere I add an edgeloop pinching will occur in which case I need more geo but with more geo I "feel" like matching it to the reference would be extremely tedious.
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    softimage has a soccer ball primitive, but I like yours better.

yJK2mDp.png
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    @Zac: :3

maximumsproductions: I'll start off by saying no matter what, this peice will probably be a pain in the ass. and end in a lot of very by vert tweaking. Maybe i'm wrong, but i can't see a simpler way. Maybe do some booleans and expect a ton of clean up. Or just get the shapes on top of each other and cut edges into them where they meet, and weld, Etc.

I might try my hand at it. Could you post (or link) to more of the references? in the pictures right now its hard to see if the "cheek" area is planer or curving inward.

PS: TONS MORE GEO :D
  • maximumsproductions
    Offline / Send Message
    @Zac: :3

maximumsproductions: I'll start off by saying no matter what, this peice will probably be a pain in the ass. and end in a lot of very by vert tweaking. Maybe i'm wrong, but i can't see a simpler way. Maybe do some booleans and expect a ton of clean up. Or just get the shapes on top of each other and cut edges into them where they meet, and weld, Etc.

I might try my hand at it. Could you post (or link) to more of the references? in the pictures right now its hard to see if the "cheek" area is planer or curving inward.

PS: TONS MORE GEO :D

Haha, thanks. It does feel good for my confidence to just be reassured that I'm not starting off completely wrong! more geo!

http://www.peterfiner.com/current-stock/item/1634/
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    The shell modifier also helps for this kinda stuff ..

/captain obvious, sorry ;)