Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-fi weapon [portfolio candidate] - texturing help

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
acreativebox polycounter lvl 7
Hello Polycounters! I've been trying to get a grip of this 3D-stuff for almost a year and I am currently getting ready to apply to a school! I have less then a week left until deadline so I need your help and expertise now with the textures as I feel that's what I'm struggling with at the moment! I'm feeling pretty comfortable with the model and textures but looking for some fine-tuning of it or if there are any major flaws I'm ready to give them a second and third work-over!

So thank you all for any feedback, I've been putting down the hours lately and I think I'm ready for some constructive public feedback! I really appreciate you taking your time and hope I will see you all around here more often :)

OfD88k.png

DuHaT2.png

zQEOdz.png

And of course; the textures! (diffuse, specular, gloss and normal map)

6XUSCS.png
nRKNsT.png
3XTPuo.png
5ZwNdo.png

Note:
I've made the choice to keep the gun quite clean and sleek as it stands in the concept, therefor I've went easy on the wear and tear but if you feel it might make it a stronger piece, I'll consider changing my mind :)

Thanks again!

Regards

Oscar

Replies

• nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It way to clean, there is almost no edge-wear or scrapping to show off what kind of material it is. I assume its metal. Metal would have wear in certain areas and especially have scrapes. If its plastic similar
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Cool gun,

I think the skull is a little detracting.. try tone that down a bit.. maybe a dark gray rather than white.

The gun can be clean like you said, but it still needs more detail. Just some ideas for you; numbers, letters, weapon model, kill count, seams in the metal, finger prints etc.

Your metal isn't reading as metal yet too. Crank up the contrast on your spec and see if it helps any.

Your spec is non-existent in your renders too - add some lights to your scene.

Anyway good start, keep going on it. :thumbup:
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Texture looks pretty flat, I think it maybe your lighting though.
  • switz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    switz polycounter lvl 10
    Despite what everyone is saying, I think this style is awesome and could easily override your run-of-the-mill approach to scratch/dinged metals.

Although, you could have some fun with the spec map; slight variations in tone might help.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Very cool, i like the UV placements.
  • acreativebox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nick: Not sure if you read the note at the bottom but I'm taking your feedback none the less, thanks a lot :)

brandoom: Thanks! Yeah I'm feeling it might shift the focus so I'll give it a re-do, cheers. I tried some of those suggested details (there actually are fingerprints in the specular, could be that the lighting is off since I'm getting a lot of negative feedback on the specular :)) Thanks though! Gonna crank up the contrast and make it pop!

ghaztehschmexeh: Thanks, I'll think of that in the next render session :)

switz: Wow, completely un-expected :D Thanks a lot! But I think some of them are right ;) I'll try to balance it nicely though! I do agree with you though :) I want to keep it clean.

peanut: Thanks, appreciate the comment :)

I'll post tomorrow or later this week with more work (specifically the scenes lighting and the specular map), feel free to stick around! :)

Cheers guys, thanks for all of your comments :) Thought I'd get smacked down haha :D
  • CyberGameArts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CyberGameArts polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah I have to agree with switz! the spec needs some more love. I would suggest looking at the M4 JFletcher made; It has a clean style (sorta), and still looks balzin. Also Wiktor
  • ZeroStrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroStrike polycounter lvl 8
    I know modeled the handle to the concept, but to me the handle looks like it would break your hand trying to hold it. Unless you are an alien. lol. But its alittle late now.

I would agree with that AK. Its kicka**. Texturing on is it great.
  • acreativebox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some new screens!

nul0As.png

fjwk1p.png

E18iQS.png

And the flat specular map if anyone's interested!

Xa4Wjy.png

CyberGameArts: Thanks a lot! Yeah I've seen those guns before and I agree; they're look badass! I used them both for inspiration and reference when I reworked the specular map :) Hope it looks better now!

ZeroStrike: Haha yeah now that you mention it... but I mainly want to show that I can follow a concept and texture it in a proper way manually :) Thanks for popping in though!
  • ZeroStrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroStrike polycounter lvl 8
    Yea, I know what you were trying to do was just follow the concept. The whole handle this is just a pet peeve of mine when it come it guns. Just think how would a human hold it. Then how would an alien hold it. That's all. Good luck to you.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    you definitely need more edge wear and definition. Thats what makes it pop. Drybrushing.

Then there are things like subtle gradients, color variation and so on.
    But if thats to get into a school, then its more than enough, still always push your limits.

Your presentation should be better tho, make the lights brighter its really dark, and you have a medium grey object on a medium grey background, mmh.

Some color in your texture could really make it pop also.

Btw you forgot those stripes on top right.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    here i did a paintover , its not amazing but you get some ideas i guess

paintover.png
  • acreativebox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroStrike: Thanks a lot! *fingers crossed* :)

Shrike: Big thanks for the feedback and the paint-over! Helped a lot! Gonna get some more wear and tear on this badboy tomorrow but gonna go home and sleep now :)Quick screengrab from Toolbag:

5IVL28.png