Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Siege of inaolia environment/texture art

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
Joost polycount sponsor
update:
IgmtQh.jpg

I've been creating environment art for an indie game called Siege inaolia for the past 3 months. So far it's mainly been texuring or re-texturing old models, but I'll be making most of the environment props later on.

I'm still learning and I have A LOT to learn so please be as brutally honest with your critiques as you can, so I can improve my work.

Most recent work (texture + unwrap)
31jRLh.jpg

Rendered in marmoset toolbag

Texture+ unwrap
kghhxh.jpg
texture+ unwrap
WUFkPh.jpg
sculpted in zbrush (used a tutorial from a pc thread)

texture+ unwrap
igTayh.jpg

texture + unwrap
FcOpnh.jpg

nK77Nh.jpg

If anyone's interested I'll update this thread regularly with new stuff.

Replies

• Bonkahe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonkahe polycounter lvl 12
    I'm interested, I noticed on the wagon you bleached out the colors at the edges, I would do something similar with most of your wooden objects as color tends to fade on the corners first, looks good overall though. When are you going to be making some environments to put these assets in?

Edit: also you might want to try some 3d painting to remove those seams, mudbox does this wonderfully, 3ds max has viewport canvas and zbrush has poly paint, any one of those can do the trick, just pick the one you have and google a tutorial on it, if I get the time I can link you one.

PS: zbrush polypaint is harder to get to a normal texture than the mudbox or 3ds max options.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Bonkahe wrote: »
    I'm interested, I noticed on the wagon you bleached out the colors at the edges, I would do something similar with most of your wooden objects as color tends to fade on the corners first, looks good overall though. When are you going to be making some environments to put these assets in?

Edit: also you might want to try some 3d painting to remove those seams, mudbox does this wonderfully, 3ds max has viewport canvas and zbrush has poly paint, any one of those can do the trick, just pick the one you have and google a tutorial on it, if I get the time I can link you one.

PS: zbrush polypaint is harder to get to a normal texture than the mudbox or 3ds max options.

The LD is already creating environments with the assets.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind, I've been planning on learning polypainting for a while now so I'll probably do that.
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    Nice work. The thing that stood out to me the most is the rock asset. It doesn't come off as very believable, I don't know of any rock that looks like that. You can very clearly see that it's a bunch of the same shaped mesh duplicated and clustered together. Maybe take a look at some real jaggedy rock references and base your next ones off of that. Cool stuff.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    sybrix wrote: »
    Nice work. The thing that stood out to me the most is the rock asset. It doesn't come off as very believable, I don't know of any rock that looks like that. You can very clearly see that it's a bunch of the same shaped mesh duplicated and clustered together. Maybe take a look at some real jaggedy rock references and base your next ones off of that. Cool stuff.

Thanks.
    The rocks aren't meant to be used by themselves, they'll be used "modularly" to create cliffs/larger clusters of rocks and I think they'll work quite well for that. If not I'll make some replacements.
    I'm working on some new rocks that will be used separately and I'm using an entirely different method for those. Will post some when they're done.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Small update:

Textured a pickaxe:

FUXAb.jpg
    3y0j2h.jpg

2VUhf.jpg
    pshG4.jpg
    ORjNk.jpg

I think it's looking pretty good, not sure what I should add/change. I might add some bigger rust spots.
    feedback would be appreciated!

Also did some other props:

screenshot1.1.jpg

I'm working on some swords too but they're going to take a while to finish.
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fozwroth polycounter lvl 9
    the metal on the pickaxe looks good, not sure about the wood though. I think you would get a much nicer result if you sculpted some defined crevises and grain by hand and then overlapping a generic texture in the diffuse and work it together. right now the overall grainyness and wavy lines are breaking the illusion of wood. If you can, mirror the Pickaxe sides and scale it up since you cant see both sides at the same time and you will get more out of your texture resolution, which I think you need a little :)
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Thanks. I sculpted a little bit of detail on the wood and I would've sculpted it all but I'm still relatively new to zbrush and I was having some issues.
    GTsom.jpg

whenever I did any diagonal strokes I got a dotted line instead of a smooth line.
    I've had this problem before and I tried to fix it but I couldn't find anything.

I could have mirrored the sides but I sculpted unique detail on the edges so I'd have to redo the sculpt.

I probably won't redo the sculpt/bake as this will be a very minor prop, but I have to do a shovel next so I'll try it on that.
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fozwroth polycounter lvl 9
    yeah I had similiar problems but I "solved" them by subdividing more in Maya before I exported. there is probably a more "pro" solution to it. Im not an expert in Zbrush myself. But in this case I think the diagonal lines wont be needed so much, just sculpt with Dam standard and PenA(turn off RGB) brushes building up the lines from a lower subdiv then a higher one :)

*forgot, Use one of the clay brushes to build up the basic forms, kind of inverse thinking building upp leaving som rough crevices and then move in with the other brushes*
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Thanks! I'll definitely give it a go and I'll update this thread with the shovel and maybe some other stuff soon.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Finished the shovel.

I Did everything but the low poly.
    I tried sculpting the wood, it looks okay on the diffuse texture but it looks a bit weird on the model imo. Didn't sculpt anything on the blade.

Feedback would be very much appreciated!

CagQ8.jpg

YVgt7.jpg

WIlPm.jpg
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    The models look good but why are you using 2048*2 maps everywhere?
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    ivanzu wrote: »
    The models look good but why are you using 2048*2 maps everywhere?

Oh that's just temporary, they will definitely be scaled down.
  • ausernottaken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The shovel makes poor use of your UV space.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These props are not bad at all. Good work.

I think you could improve upon them further by letting the specular pop a lot more. Check out some pictures of objects with similar materials to get a better feel for how they should look.

Wood has a small amount of specular too, and gloss maps would help break up any flat surfaces. You should also be thinking about what resolution these objects will be at. If you make things at too large of a texture resolution, then you will lose a bit of detail when downscaling as well.

I would consider stacking the UVs for both sides of the pickaxe and the shovel as well. This also goes back to thinking about what resolution these will be at in a level. Smart UV space allows you to pack in more detail at a smaller texture resolution. :)

UVs that don't stack shells are good for objects that will be used in first person, but just for props that are meant to fill an environment, they're typically not necessary.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Thank you!

I think the specular map will probably be higher once the props are in UDK, but these props are supposed to be quite old, so there won't be that much specular. And there is specular on the wood, you can see it in UDK but it's just not very visible in marmoset for some reason.

I've always worked in 2x resolution but I guess I shouldn't do that anymore.

For the UVs, if I stacked the shovel or pickaxe sides I would still have to squash the wood part or have different texel density. I guess I could just do a tiling horizontal strip of wood though, I'll keep it in mind for my next props.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Even old objects will still have a lot of specular intensity. Right now, the lack of specular really hurts the material definition.

The metals feel more like plastic than metal. Curious to see them in UDK. :thumbup:
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Got the shovel in UDK and set up the material.

R0DVmh.jpg

some more screenshots here

Also here's a WIP of a sword I'm working on.(low poly made by someone else)

screenshot4.jpg

It's a bit meh atm. Still needs something but I'm not sure what. Also the specular/gloss levels will probably be changed in UDK.

There's not a whole lot of detail (almost nothing) because I was trying to go for a clean, almost cartoony look, but I don't know if it really works for this sword.

As always, feedback would be appreciated! :)
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    I recently watched some more texturing tutorials and I deciced to tweak the maps of the shovel some more.

IgmtQh.jpg

I added some metal detail to the normal and completely changed the spec and gloss maps.

It's very likely that I did something wrong in the spec and gloss maps so please let me know if I did.

spec: (will be imported as alpha channel, so no colour)
    Sm52T.jpg

gloss:
    skeUP.jpg

normal:

De7qT.jpg

more renders http://imgur.com/a/B8fnZ

After this i'm going to tweak the maps on the pickaxe and maybe some other props. And then I'll work on some more weapons.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Made an axe:

ldqeZ.jpg

PVfr2.jpg

fYzyy.jpg

BTZp5.jpg

I think it still needs something but I'm not really sure what.
    Please let me know if you have any critiques.
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    put some wear&tear on the wooden handle.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    decided to change the wood pattern. The old one was too cartoony.

HZvev.jpg

I might straighten it out a bit more though.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    WIP of a sword I'm working on:

I really should have overlapped the blade but I don't feel like redoing it. :(

265 polys 2048x512 texture (for now)

W8QDs.jpg?1

texture maps (high res) :
    bCB6o.jpg?1

I'm kind of stuck atm, not really sure what to add or change.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    I think the issue with your shovel is in its form, rather than its texture/material.
    When in doubt, always try and use some ref:
    ref
    ref
    ref
    ref
    It seems most shovels have a bent lip towards the back so the person using the shovel can use thier foot to gain better leverage.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Finished axe:

axe.jpg

high res

I finished the sword and made an alternate version for it:

final model was 221 polys
    sword03.jpg

high res

Also finished a mace. I didn't get to spend as much time on it as I would've liked but it's only going to be an environment prop. However, if anyone can suggest some improvements I'll try to implement them.

mace.jpg

high res

As always, feedback would be very much appreciated.:thumbup:
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    The sword looks good.

Are you using ref. for the mace though? Maybe I'm oblivious to the various types of maces out there, but wouldn't it make more sense for the spike part to actually have more weight then the handle? After all, that's what a pummel is for, is for adding additional weight in the back end helping balance out the weight in the front end.

The spikes (Or the end part) needs to be bigger/have more weight.
    I would also scale down the girth size of the handle and pole a little bit.

I could be wrong, and there could actually be maces like that. But it just seems to me that it would make more sense, and be more effective, the way I suggested.

Best of luck!
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    hmm yeah you're right about the mace. I did use a lot of reference but the blueprint I made for the head was clearly too small. I actually thought it didn't look right but I didn't fix it for some reason :(. I'll see if I can change the proportions somehow.

Thanks for the feedback!

edit: Here it is, I think it looks a lot better now.

Uv0Wy.jpg
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Time for an update I guess.

Finished a set of rocks. screenshot in UDK.
    screenshot01.jpg

http://media.indiedb.com/images/games/1/15/14944/screenshot01.jpg

Textured this prop, model made by Aaron.
    It's just a simple map prop so nothing special.

hammer.jpg

http://media.indiedb.com/images/games/1/15/14944/hammer.jpg

And now I'm working on a modular house set.

960x439.webp

high res: http://i.imgur.com/lBXo29u.jpg

I think I'll just bake the metal hinges into the main mesh.

960x564.webp
    High res: http://i.imgur.com/bodQcom.jpg

Just 1 flat texture for now. Might make some geometry for the door handle.

960x676.webp

960x676.webp

960x676.webp

960x564.webp

High res: http://i.imgur.com/QqZkoD7.jpg

simple wall texture, will make a few variations of this.

NOTE: inspired by this http://wiki.polycount.com/ModularMountAndBlade?highlight=%28%5CbCategoryEnvironmentModularity%5Cb%29
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    2 textures

960x564.webp

wooden planks (click to view in 3D)
    thumbnail_448.png?v=7becd6094399cb5735544f86e5155117

960x564.webp

slate roof texture (click to view in 3D)
    thumbnail_448.png?v=ac3eaafa8f242dffdfd3b80bdc0799bf
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    really nice rocks!
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just came by to say you are making awesome progress here. Material definition is so much better comparing to the stuff you posted at the beginning. Good luck with the project.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Thanks! I'm putting a lot of hours into it so I'm glad it's paying off.

Hopefully I'll be good enough to get a job somewhere soon.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Another roof texture

oVsjFiQl.jpg
    high res
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Great textures! A lot of the material definitions are coming out great. Looking forward to seeing more, especially the environment stuff like the rocks. :)
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Thank you! if you'd like to you can always check out the work done by the other guys in the team here: http://www.indiedb.com/games/siege-of-inaolia
    We've got some pretty big updates coming soon!
  • mixeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mixeh polycounter lvl 8
    komaokc wrote: »
    2 textures

960x564.webp

wooden planks (click to view in 3D)
    thumbnail_448.png?v=7becd6094399cb5735544f86e5155117

960x564.webp

slate roof texture (click to view in 3D)
    thumbnail_448.png?v=ac3eaafa8f242dffdfd3b80bdc0799bf

I really like that wood texture, do you mind explaining what brushes/workflow you have for that? Keep up the good work!
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Thanks!

Have a look at this tutorial, it explains it better than I could. http://www.philipk.net/tutorials/materials/woodrough/woodrough.html

That's mainly the technique I used for sculpting. I also used orb's crack brush and trim dynamic.

I baked a normal map, AO and a height map in xnormal and converted the normal map to a height map, cavity and AO using NDO2.
    Then I just overlayed those maps on some photosourced textures and painted in some different colours and shades.

And I used ndo2 to get some detail out of the photosourced textures.

for reference, here's my sculpt: 960x680.webp
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Finishing up this tower:

VfOf4xnl.jpg
    high res

98BdrJNl.jpg
    high res

udBMgdKl.jpg
    high res

sCht9pNl.jpg
    high res

Interior still needs work. The tiling of the brick texture is a bit too obvious, but it will be covered by vines ingame and maybe some vertex painting.

Using 4 texture maps and about 10k triangles atm. Most of the textures will be scaled down later on though.
  • Joost
  • AkiRa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AkiRa polycounter lvl 6
    This is some really great work, both, model and texture wise. I'll definatley keeping an eye on this one! Also thanks a lot for the tutorial! :)
    Keep up the great work!
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    Love the tutorial, really thanks for that!

And of course stunning work here!

Sorry for my PRO english :)
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Thanks guys, Glad to hear you like it! :)
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We love that :)
    Ok, but now I have few questions (just few, if I can ask :) ):

1. Why do you make different smoothing groups on different pollygroups, when you do HP mesh in Max? I mean on those polygroups that a "hard edges" (I dont know how to say that :) )
    2. You don't make a LP mesh for your HP mesh, you created only a plane for all textures? Can I make a mesh after doing textures? I mean: can I make a simple box with additional points on top of it, which crate a shape of doors, AFTER I make a texture? Then Unwrap this mesh, and simply add to that all texture.

It's awesome work on textures what you did! :)
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    GrafikPL wrote: »
    We love that :)
    Ok, but now I have few questions (just few, if I can ask :) ):

1. Why do you make different smoothing groups on different pollygroups, when you do HP mesh in Max? I mean on those polygroups that a "hard edges" (I dont know how to say that :) )
    2. You don't make a LP mesh for your HP mesh, you created only a plane for all textures? Can I make a mesh after doing textures? I mean: can I make a simple box with additional points on top of it, which crate a shape of doors, AFTER I make a texture? Then Unwrap this mesh, and simply add to that all texture.

It's awesome work on textures what you did! :)

1. It's a technique called double smoothing.

This video should explain it: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?
    v=87I8FpXn3Yc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87I8FpXn3Yc[/URL]

It basically removes the need to add support loops to get hard edges. You can also combine it with edge creasing or exclusively use edge creasing.

When you want to sculpt something in zbrush or mudbox you have to keep in mind that your polygons should be mostly squares, you want to avoid triangles and stretched polygons as much as possible.

I baked it onto a plane to maximize my texture resolution. Afterwards I'd use the texture to construct a final low poly mesh. You can make a low poly mesh and bake onto that but for a flat object like a door there's usually no need (in my opinion). To make the final low poly object, I'd start with a plane. Then apply the texture to it and start adding edges, extruding and chamfering to get the final low poly model.
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for anwered the questions!

The link to YT doesn't work, but I know what you mean. It's helpful.
    And I see now, how you do your LP mesh. It's nice.

Thanks again!
  • Joost
  • Johan3043
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work man! Shame u didn't made a tutorial on how u made that tower :/ Could u please consider making one? :)
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah: now make a tut for everything you make to show us :) ofcourse if it's not a problem :D (just joking)

Thanks for the link: I already found it by myself :D
  • IgorK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work here! Thanks for tutorials!
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Thanks guys! I didn't record anything I did for the tower and I'm not planning on redoing it any time soon :(. I'll start recording everything I do from now on though and if I make something nice I'll turn it into a tutorial :)
  • Prism
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great stuff here, i am using your photo library and trying to understand the video for my own work. Greatly apreciated.