Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

omg! there is a cyborg in the vault!!

Replies

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    ok eventually I've made it to the images.. I do stop now bc I have other stuff crying for me.

But anyhow.. any crits are appreciated, even now!

again: texture is 1 1024 map and I'm positively surprised by the resolution you can "get out" of it

cheers

f3b_finals_1.jpg

f3b_ingame_02.jpg
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Really great work, but somehow on the second picture of the ingame ones (and the other ones except the first one) something seems to be seriously fucked up with the game's lod textures especially when you look at the texture quality of the first image (also on the first one the gloss is near perfect)

not so on the others :/ (maybe theres some lod setting magic option in the nif or something?)

e:// maybe something along those lines? http://niftools.sourceforge.net/doc/niflib/structNiflib_1_1LODRange.html
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    so fucken cool man !
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    hal: the img in the upper left is an earlier version. Sadly it doesn't look that good ingame most of the time.. so i upped the glossiness and in motion it does now look better most of the time.. some setting that would change the mipmapping distances would be cool though

tacit math: cheers dude!

and something else.. don't know if I'll be able to make one of these but I post them here anyway.
    The fist one is some kind of plasma-shell gun and the 2nd a tesla prototype

fo3_guns_v1.gif
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you are rollin' ... love this ...
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    hey how... I decided to stay in this thread

This might be the next model I'm doing.. still not too sure for what game.. maybe for fallout3 new vegas (which should use the same bones as fallout3)

Brink and Uncharted2 where definitely inspirations.. The concept will most likely change a bit on production (esp. the head) but it nails the direction I want to go.

TOXIC_01b.jpg
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    eventually got around to make some proper shots for my gta4 character (it's nikos older brother omg)

1x 2048^2 for everything (the bat is just deco)
    5884 tris
    no separate eyeballs or inside of mouth or other chisel disel

bit more then an year old but a few weeks ago I polished the textures and got this %&§$§%-normals to work in gta4 which seems to have an always-horizontal tangent basis 0.o wtf

anyhow.. took the time to make some pics and here they are

xetr_low_01c_beaty_a.jpg
    xetr_low_01c_final_a.jpg
    xetr_low_01c_construction_a.jpg
    xetrr_034_head.jpg
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Very cool!

I think the face might be a tad too large for his head. Makes him look a bit like a pre-teen in his proportions.

Excellent work on the canvas jacket. Very impressive.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    cheers Eric!
    I have to say that I took the proportions (also of the head) from the niko bellic model of gta4. That makes it easier if you want to use the hats ingame

also here the "real niko" .. also a big face compared to the rest of the head (esp. without the hair the face looks bit oversized)

NikoBellic-GTAIV2.jpg
  • alexdubbeat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexdubbeat polycounter lvl 8
    cool thread man and that "real niko" is russian actor Vladimir Mashkov. :)
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    heyho.. finished another model laying around and waiting for some attention.

In the process of making the textures and final shots I also reworked my toon shader a lot. Switching from shaderFX-node-pushing to txt-editor scripting. Cleaning the code and tweaking the methods. Will release an update for the shader soon.

Anyhow:
    The model uses 10976 triangles + 458 for the facial hair.
    Head and Body is on a 2048 texture, hair: 1x 256x128.
    I'm using: diffuse, spec + gloss, normals, sss, cubemap

I'm still trying to get as much out of the resolution as possible working with an 1px brush for specific details.

For the color correction I'm using "Motiva RealCamera"

Shadows are max 2010 stupid hard shadows

final_head.jpg
    final_turntable.jpg
    final_wires.jpg
    final_finalwires.jpg
    tx63_zbrush.jpg
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Wow, that face is freaking awesome. Love it!

One thing that grabs my attention right away is what seems like a texel resolution mismatch, between the perfectly sharp face and the somewhat blurry hoodie and chest.

Maybe an aniso mip filter might help with the top of the hoodie? The chest almost seems like a different style than the face right now, because some details are surrounded by black, almost looking like you used too much sharpen filter, or Unsharp Mask or something. Around each of the threads in the canvas strips for example.

The shading on the face seems rather sharp. E.g. the lighting terminus on the nostril which makes it look a little thin and hard. Maybe a softer falloff would help this? I dunno.

All just nitpicks though, as it's gorgeous. Love seeing the Zbrush wireframe too! Are you going to post flats?
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    You're right! I tend to make things more cartoony then intended. On the other hand I made the experience that this helps to read details if the model is viewed from further away.

The face has a higher texel density. This was intended to give the spot you are watching the most more resolution. The eyes in fact have the highest texel density.

About the shading I'm not quite sure. With only one light it looks like a normal falloff. Guess it's a mixture of the hard shadow edges and the 2 shadow casting lights coming from very shallow angles
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    I think with this kind of character, with a head costume, the higher density would work better if it were on the whole head, or at least the whole front area. Then the differences wouldn't be so acute?

For the shading, maybe something like a half-lambert might work better, be less harsh?
    c0055803_46bfc4de775d7.jpg

Apparently this is lambert vs. half-lambert:
    A3DToDNCAAAs3M4.png:large
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    ok didn't used the half lambert but a ramped normal falloff, this already smoothed out the harsh gradients.

also reduced the ao = black outlines, changed the mouth a bit, and played bit with color grading

cheers!

final_head_2.jpg