Home Full time/Part time work

[Paid] Spiral - Recruitment Thread (Work with Dinosaurs!)

We've been working extremely hard on the 'ORION' game series since it's first original (read: horrible) release with 'ORION: Dino Beatdown' on Steam back in May 2012. We fell short on delivering what we needed to and from that day on we started work on the spiritual sequel, 'ORION: Dino Horde' which was a game immensely larger, more detailed, more polished and simply put: exactly the experience we wished we could have delivered the first time out. Not only this but we gave it for free to EVERY owner of Dino Beatdown as a digital apology / thank you letter:
http://spiralgamestudios.com/post/48053908330/orion-dino-horde-now-on-steam

We extremely proud of 'ORION: Dino Horde' and we have committed to massive (and free) DLC Packs starting with the Jungle DLC which is out now! With this release we have revisited every aspect of the game and buffed it up as well poured insane amounts of new content into the game (Persistence!).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oAQfhyLkGI"]'ORION: Dino Horde' Jungle Launch Trailer (ft. IAMDYNAMITE) - YouTube[/ame]

We truly hope that you take a quick moment and check out all of these changes, additions and the overall experience as we believe you and your friends will have a kick-ass time!

----

JOB POSITIONS
Type: Freelancer (contractor)
Games: Dino Horde, Prelude
Paid: Yes

We are going to be continually updating the game (for free) ALL Summer and so we need a few more helping hands as we create some amazing content for DLC Packs #2 and #3 (Desert, Arctic) and are currently hiring in additional positions to help make this event a truly great time:

01 - 3D Artist - Generalist (Hard Surface, Organic)
02 - 3D Artist - Spiral Store [Low Poly] (Hats, Items, etc)
03 - 3D Artist - Environments
04 - Assistant Programmer (A.I / Web-Related a bonus)
05 - 2D Artist - Graphic Designer / Web Artist

If you are interested send in your Application, Resume and Portfolio to:
jobs@spiralgamestudios.com

*Note: If you do not see your position listed send in an application anyways. We check every single one.

Replies

• nick2730
    not you again, wasn't there a lot of drama around this guy ?
  • Sundaynights
    I am interested, but where is spiralgamestudios located? no impressum on the page...
  • tholmes3d
    Offline / Send Message
    tholmes3d polycounter lvl 11
    Where is the studio? Is this an on site or online job?
  • MLavine
    tholmes3d wrote: »
    Where is the studio? Is this an on site or online job?

Sorry about that leaving that part out. This is for REMOTE-based positions. I've updated the original post to reflect this.
  • nick2730
  • BlvdNights
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Not to pile on with the drama, but yes, there's been a history of issues with these guys over the last few years that's been well documented. Just a word of warning.
  • MLavine
    While mistakes have been made and rumors created, not paying people is not one of them.

There were many rumors started back around the launch of Dino Beatdown and much of it faulted towards a few shoddy developers that were hired. Those people are of course no longer with us (removed and also the people that lit those matches / smear campaign) and since then we have been making great strides as people will start to see - especially with Jurassic Edition. Not only is the game greatly improved but we are giving it to all owners of the original Dino Beatdown for FREE as a personal gift and digital love letter for their support and understanding.

While some rumors were crazier than others, the not paying people was one of the silliest and any of the incredible and hard working developers that is currently churning out all of this content would testify to that.

Regarding how payments are made (for those interested):
    1 - They are handled via PayPal. Fees are of course covered by us.
    2 - Payments are either the first of every month (default) or can be paid immediately after each task (by request).
    3 - Payments are typically made immediately otherwise within 48 hours if chosen to be task-based.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
  • juguefre
    Offline / Send Message
    juguefre polycounter lvl 11
    HAHAHAHAHA you again.....I wonder if reputation CAN indeed be regenerated with time? but I really doubt it.

To all new artists and programers and gamedevs in general a BIG RED FLAG on this guy and his project. Be very aware of this guy past behavior. Not a good precedent. only for the new people, older ones already know "who" he is (and not in a good way).
  • mootybog
    If a modeller was to be paid by each model, how much would that pay be?
  • SelcukBor
    Hello everybody, i'm Selcuk Bor. Current sound designer/composer for Orion. I just wanted to drop by and say my part in regards with the rumors.

I won't pretend we didn't have some bad experiences with team mates prior to this. For various reasons of which I am not informed (nor should I be, it's none of my business). What I can say is only my experience.

I've been with them for about a year and a half now (give or take a few months) and my experience has been very straight forward. You apply, if you get a response back you and David (or whoever) sits down with you and lays the chips on the table.

We can afford you $x amount for the following work that needs doing.

Groovy. It is then your responsibility to take it or leave it. Nobody is putting a gun to your head. Something some people don't realize is that because this is a remote position it doesn't feel like you are under pressure to deliver but this game has come to a point now where none of us can afford to fuck around (excuse my french).

If you cannot deliver consistently, if your work slides consistently in quality or you start going back on the agreement then like any other company there will be issues. If a resolution cannot be reached, you are let go. It's that simple.

I have had 0 issues with David and co so far. None. 15 months is a long time to be working in one group. If you are good on your word and are serious about this there is no reason for David or Spiral to question your actions or motives.

Take this for what you will and with a grain of salt if you must. But I would not leave this company unless I was asked to leave (probably because somebody super awesome came around to replace me! Sound designers/composers apply! We could use the help!). Even if that was the case in the end it's just good business.
  • fragfest2012
    In this guys' defense, the content they are working on actually looks pretty good. I don't know about how buggy it will be, but as far as looks go, this is not the worst thing I have ever seen. In fact, at certain points, it looks good.
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    I don't really see a problem here. Do an asset, get paid, do next asset, get paid again, rinse and repeat. If they decide not to pay you on your first asset, then you've only wasted a few hours. And if the work you've done is good enough for your portfolio, then you haven't wasted any time at all.
  • juguefre
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog wrote: »
    If they decide not to pay you on your first asset, then you've only wasted a few hours. And if the work you've done is good enough for your portfolio, then you haven't wasted any time at all.

Man that is NOT how this works, if you do some work you expect to be paid PLAIN AND SIMPLE (atleast I do).

On a related note at some point I got in contact with a guy who did a job for this "CEO" and this guy expect you to deliver the work BEFORE paying you because his "company" require that to be able to process the paying order......oh yes that sound so good.
  • SelcukBor
    so you're telling me you've never worked for anybody who actually required you to produce the goods before they paid you for it?
  • SaferDan
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    juguefre wrote: »
    Man that is NOT how this works, if you do some work you expect to be paid PLAIN AND SIMPLE (atleast I do).

On a related note at some point I got in contact with a guy who did a job for this "CEO" and this guy expect you to deliver the work BEFORE paying you because his "company" require that to be able to process the paying order......oh yes that sound so good.

What are you talking about? Why would you get paid BEFORE you have done the work? I get a half now half afterwards sort of deal but whats to stop someone saying" Oh yeah I will make this, pay me first though." and then just run away with the money?

I worked on a project similar to this and I was asked to make something and then got paid afterwards. I thought that was normal for stuff like this.
  • biofrost
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    SaferDan wrote: »
    What are you talking about? Why would you get paid BEFORE you have done the work? I get a half now half afterwards sort of deal but whats to stop someone saying" Oh yeah I will make this, pay me first though." and then just run away with the money?

I worked on a project similar to this and I was asked to make something and then got paid afterwards. I thought that was normal for stuff like this.

Wanted to stop by and say I applied and agree with Dan.

Every freelance job I have done I turned in the asset first then was paid. I was under the impression that unless its a big project where half now and half later would be used this is normal.
  • Shadownami92
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    biofrost wrote: »
    Wanted to stop by and say I applied and agree with Dan.

Every freelance job I have done I turned in the asset first then was paid. I was under the impression that unless its a big project where half now and half later would be used this is normal.

Considering that this is technically a big project by a studio that has released a game or two already, wouldn't it make sense for a half now and half later approach in this instance?

I feel like since this studio does have a bit of problems in terms of their previous game development that a half now and half later approach would be the most sensible method of payment for this current job, and I feel like having that as a payment option would attract more experienced artists who would rather not risk a loss when their time is so important.
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Lol nick, I thought some nubbiecake bumped the thread.
    I feel like since this studio does have a bit of problems in terms of their previous game development that a half now and half later approach would be the most sensible method of payment for this current job, and I feel like having that as a payment option would attract more experienced artists who would rather not risk a loss when their time is so important.

^If you want more people with better experience you'll have to bite on that bullet.
    The most important part of his post: rather not risk a loss when their time is so important.
    2nd chances are possible on our outsiders eyes but to those that might have got burned I am sure they always will be.

Best of luck.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Best way to do it is half and half like a few have already said, or take a small deposit of the initial price (say 20%) and ask for the rest on submission of the asset.
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19

I won't comment on the OP or this situation, but wanted to nip this "pay after" assumption in the bud. Let me lay out how I work with first time clients.

* First, we agree on what will be done, any technical requirements, concepts made clear, triangle count, blah blah.
    * Next we agree on a fee and what exactly will be delivered and by what date, and how revisions are charged.
    * Next, I require 50% up front before I start working, by international money transfer, not paypal.
    * I turn in jpegs or gifs of progress at regular stages so feedback can be provided in a timely manner. When the work is complete and both parties agree, I am paid the remaining 50% before I upload the 3d format and textures. Till this point they have seen only see jpegs.

Here is why this works. I would never have made the 3d asset without this client wanting it. I cannot do anything with the 3d asset when I am done, I cannot pay rent with it, I cannot sell it to someone else, and I might not even have enjoyed the process. The corollary, is the dollars/yen/euro the client is going to pay me, can easily be used elsewhere. This makes the exchange rather one sided in terms of leverage since once the work is done they have no reason to pay if they are not on the up and up. Once I have established a working relationship with a client, I can work with invoices, regular payment schedules, etc, but the first time I work with someone new, no matter big or small, I require this payment setup, and if they aren´t willing to work with it, I have to politely decline. This is to protect myself from doing work, and not getting paid. To date not a single client has had a problem with it, and I have worked remotely for many companies of various sizes.

Most experienced freelancers that I know work in a similar manner. If you have no portfolio, and no experience, you might not have the leverage to work this way, but after the first time you are burned by non-payment, you will come with a method to protect yourself.
  • SaferDan
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah thinking about it half before and half after seems
    Like the most sensible way to go. Thanks for clearing it up! I was just going off my own assumptions which looking back I shouldn't have done! I clearly don't know enough about freelancing so I am very grateful to get a look at how you do things!

Thanks again!
  • juguefre
    Offline / Send Message

I'm sorry I missed the disscusion.

You mean you DO the work and DELIVER the work and get paid only AFTER you deliver the work?

Seem like a good way for any scammer to get a bunch of work done for free, I have to tell you that I have done NO work for a company or a big studio mostly because I don't have the level for such work yet, but is a matter of common sense to be careful with your work. You cannot just send the work and then wait and see if the customer pays or not. I work as "poopinmymouth" described (horrible nick BTW) and probably I never going to be hired by a big studio or company if I keep working under this system but I can't see anyother way of being sure I'll get paid after doing the work. Now apparently you had work in great companies and how comes the OP fit in the same category?
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    I do the same as poop, but I ask 30% instead of 50%.
  • Spiffy664
    Offline / Send Message
    Spiffy664 polycounter lvl 6
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escrow - a pretty useful thing in our case, especially for beginners. Also, knowing a lawyer to help you understand how the law works for you is important in your area as well.

Like poop said, I require NEW clients to follow more strict rules, once a trusting relationship is developed I am less defensive. I have also never been burned by non-payment.

Finally, anybody interested in working for ANY client, let alone these guys, do your home work. Being told not to give something a try is never great in my opinion - smoking is bad, plenty of people try it, and I'm sure plenty of people will try working for this "company".
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I have have only once asked for money up front.
    I tend to work for fairly trustworthy people/organizations though.
    In over 40 contracts I have only ever not got paid the one time and that was a company who should know better.
  • Ganon
    Offline / Send Message
    Ganon polycounter lvl 7
  • Broetchaen
  • Hatchet
    Oh wow it's David, haha.

I remember you, nothing much has changed apparently.
  • MLavine
    I have just updated the original posting.

We have just released a MASSIVE (and free) content update (Jungle DLC) for 'ORION: Dino Horde' on Steam and it completely changes the game. We are going to be continually updating the game (for free) ALL Summer and so we need a few more helping hands as we create some amazing content for DLC Packs #2 and #3 (Desert, Arctic).

We created a spiffy new trailer that showcases all of the new Jungle DLC content (Persistence, new UI, weapons, items, kit, modes, maps - everything!) right here:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oAQfhyLkGI"]'ORION: Dino Horde' Jungle Launch Trailer (ft. IAMDYNAMITE) - YouTube[/ame]